Webmaster Pete's review of the Royal Pacific

I was charged $20 per night for self parking. Just checked my bill - that's what's there.

Universal makes a select number of rooms available for AP upgrades. Just because a room is available doesn't mean it's available for an upgrade. From what I could gather the hotel was running at something close to full occupancy. If they think they can get the $100 a night, they're not going to let it go for $50, which is why I didn't make an issue of it. Also, I do note in the review that the size and comfort level of the room more than warranted the price. Yes, I would have liked the $50 upgrade, but it was worth the $100 I paid.

Pete

You should refute the $20 charge. I just got an email for my RPH ressie that clearly states that self parking is $15. Check your email confirmation.

I think you should add what you just said about AP upgrades. In your review you complain about it and here you defend it.

Pete--Universal's website still lists the self parking charge as $15 + tax for hotel guests but $20 +tax for day guests.
http://www.universalorlando.com/OverviewPages/Hotels/3worldclass.aspx#parking

I don't know if the website is showing old rates or if you were charged for your sister's car.

I'm not suggesting it's worth arguing over $5 (it is to some people) but it might be worth checking so we know if the hotels raised the parking fee without updating the website.

I don't know what the answer is about music. Playing a top 40 song doesn't sound unreasonable. Objecting to a vulgar song doesn't sound unreasonable either. Maybe the DJ should be required to play the radio (cleaned up) version of the songs.

Parents (adults) objecting to music enjoyed by teenagers isn't anything new.

I was charged $20 per night for self parking. Just checked my bill - that's what's there.

Pete

We didn't have a great experience when we stayed at the RPR in June 2008, and I was so disappointed after reading all the glowing reviews here. The front desk was less than helpful--we had to go back 3 times to get them to finally add charging privileges to my husbands key (even though we specifically asked at check-in). The rooms are tiny, the pool area was dirty with dishes/glasses/beer bottles all around and the service at the pool was ridiculously slow. I love the FOTL so we are going back to the Hard Rock this summer. We had decided to try the RPR to save a few $$, but it was a totally different experience. I'm hoping the Hard Rock is as I remember it from 2005.

My family and I have been going to RPR THREE times per year since the year after it opened. We have NEVER seen anything like this (dishes/glasses/beer bottles) inside or outside of the resort. Service at the pool can be a little slow if there is a large crowd but it is a short walk to the Bula Bar to place your order for quicker service. The staff at RPR are the BEST and we are ALWAYS treated like royalty when we have been there. Things at resorts like these are seldom perfect every single time and it is unfair, especially based on one stay to discourage people from staying here with such a negative post. With all of our wonderful experiences at RPR my family wouldn't even think of staying anywhere else!

I think the title choice for the review is extremely unfortunate. It overshadows anything positive stated in the review. I read the whole thing. It complimented many aspects. The review has a negative connotation because I cant get past the title. The title sets the tone for the entire review.

I wonder why we haven't read any negative posts or trip reports where people have the same complaints. Think it just doesn't bother anybody else? Just cant imagine RPR receiving complaints and them doing nothing about it.

We've had many stays at this property and I think they are doing a terrific job marketing their product to the family market.

I wouldnt mind seeing an update on this from a Managers perspective.

You should refute the $20 charge. I just got an email for my RPH ressie that clearly states that self parking is $15. Check your email confirmation.

I think you should add what you just said about AP upgrades. In your review you complain about it and here you defend it.

I state in the review "Again, the room was spotless, clearly well maintained, and for the size, more than worth the $279 a night I was paying." I do not make a huge issue out of the upgrade price, simply stating that I was miffed it wasn't available.

Let's be honest here - you're not interested in hearing an unbiased review of the resort - you want to hear a glowing, positive advertisement that simply reinforces your opinion. Sorry, that's not what we do.

Pete

We didn't have a great experience when we stayed at the RPR in June 2008, and I was so disappointed after reading all the glowing reviews here. The front desk was less than helpful--we had to go back 3 times to get them to finally add charging privileges to my husbands key (even though we specifically asked at check-in). The rooms are tiny, the pool area was dirty with dishes/glasses/beer bottles all around and the service at the pool was ridiculously slow. I love the FOTL so we are going back to the Hard Rock this summer. We had decided to try the RPR to save a few $$, but it was a totally different experience. I'm hoping the Hard Rock is as I remember it from 2005.

My family and I have been going to RPR THREE times per year since the year after it opened. We have NEVER seen anything like this (dishes/glasses/beer bottles) inside or outside of the resort. Service at the pool can be a little slow if there is a large crowd but it is a short walk to the Bula Bar to place your order for quicker service. The staff at RPR are the BEST and we are ALWAYS treated like royalty when we have been there. Things at resorts like these are seldom perfect every single time and it is unfair, especially based on one stay to discourage people from staying here with such a negative post. With all of our wonderful experiences at RPR my family wouldn't even think of staying anywhere else!

This confused me greatly! The I realized the top paragraph is a quote from someone else and not 'your' opinion. Maybe you could wrap quote tags around it. I agree with you about RPR's staff. It is very noticeable to me when we visit that they go above and beyond.

I think the title choice for the review is extremely unfortunate. It overshadows anything positive stated in the review. I read the whole thing. It complimented many aspects. The review has a negative connotation because I cant get past the title. The title sets the tone for the entire review.

The review is a reflection of my experience. The title sets the tone for the review just as the incident at the pool cast a shadow for me over the visit. In the review I state "The refuse around the pool, the debris in the kiddie pool and the obscene choice of playlists by the DJ really marred the experience for me." Even still, I made sure that I isolated the incident at the pool and did not let it effect my view of other areas of the hotel in an effort to be fair. For many people, one negative experience tends to affect their overall opinion. It's easier to criticize other aspects of an experience, when one thing really stands out as negative. It's something I try hard to avoid. The review accurately reflects my experience, which is exactly what a review is supposed to do.

So my experience doesn't count, only the "good" ones like yours are worthy of a mention? I was merely recounting the experience and impression that I had. If you have a bad experience somewhere do you really feel like spending the big money to go back and give them another chance? Glad you have a good time there--however that doesn't change my opinion one bit, and I feel it is only fair to others who are considering staying here to hear a different, but just as valid opinion.

BTW, I submitted a complaint after we got back and never heard a word back, not even a "sorry you weren't satisfied."

Pete--How long have been running the boards? People don't want to hear a balanced review. They either want it to be 100% positive or they want to see the hotel trashed.

I wish you could contact someone and find out about the parking fee. Either the website is wrong or you were overcharged.

The review is a reflection of my experience. The title sets the tone for the review just as the incident at the pool cast a shadow for me over the visit. In the review I state "The refuse around the pool, the debris in the kiddie pool and the obscene choice of playlists by the DJ really marred the experience for me." Even still, I made sure that I isolated the incident at the pool and did not let it effect my view of other areas of the hotel in an effort to be fair. For many people, one negative experience tends to affect their overall opinion. It's easier to criticize other aspects of an experience, when one thing really stands out as negative. It's something I try hard to avoid. The review accurately reflects my experience, which is exactly what a review is supposed to do.

Pete, I for one enjoyed your review it was honest, as with any trip there is good things and bad. I think you explained yourself very well. The DJ wouldn't have upset me but my kids are older. But it is a family resort and it should conduct itself as so and if my kids were smaller then i would have an issue. Also there is nothing that can ruin a trip faster then a managers careless attitude. We had it at Vero Beach last year and while I would stay at the resort again in a minute it did take away from the trip.
By the way the pictures and review of the rooms put a lot of my wifes fears to rest as we will be staying at RPR in 10 days for a week.

I state in the review "Again, the room was spotless, clearly well maintained, and for the size, more than worth the $279 a night I was paying." I do not make a huge issue out of the upgrade price, simply stating that I was miffed it wasn't available.

Let's be honest here - you're not interested in hearing an unbiased review of the resort - you want to hear a glowing, positive advertisement that simply reinforces your opinion. Sorry, that's not what we do.

Pete

I think you must be reading things into my posts that I certainly didn't intend. I only first commented since I thought you were charged incorrectly on parking and the upgrade.

Your review stated that your pass entitles you to a suite upgrade for $50 but the person at check in wouldn't give it to you so you were miffed. I thought you were justified and suggested you refute the charges. Then here, you supported the hotel in their decision as to why you didn't get it for $50. You were miffed in the report but supportive here. If you actually are understanding, then your review is misleading and that is unfair to readers who trust your reviews. I felt you had been ripped off, as I imagine many people will, unless you explain it or just leave it out.

I have nothing against the rest of your report (other than the parking fee) and was just suggesting that you should inquire about it and why you didn't get your suite upgrade at AP price --- perhaps you were mischarged. I was actually suggesting that the hotel made a mistake, quite the opposite of what you are accusing.

People give reviews of the resorts all the time. We, on these discussion boards, pick out inconsistencies and discuss them. If a reviewer paid $20 for parking but no one else did, should we just ignore it and let everyone who reads the report believe that $20 is the standard charge? If there is a reason why the reviewer didn't get something they thought they should, should we not discuss that? If someone paid more or got less than they should have, should we not also discuss that and hopefully the hotel will reimburse them. I honestly think that is one of the great things about these discussion boards, posters helping other posters.

I did not take your comment damo as offensive.I agree that the parking has been $15 a day (at least the last time we gone).

As far as the review,I thought it was very insightful.Leaves in the pool,well it is hard to control mother nature.At least they did TRY to keep it clean.It was very windy at his stay and leaves have been falling like crazy.

As far as the DJ playing some not so kid friendly songs and the pool managers attidude,I would have been alittle ticked off myself.But on the same note as a kid friendly resort is you can move your kids away from the music on another side of the pool.

Now last Apirl when we stayed there with our kids(DS15 and DD17)there was this couple wearing next to nothing,and I mean it left little to the imagination.I complained to the bartender and when he seen it managment was on spot and took care of that por* show.

I don;t know if its the same management but RPR always took care of our familys wishes.Thats why I love staying there.Not that the other two are worse or better,more expensive or not,we stayed at all three.We just love RPR more..

Pete

i want the warts;)the fluffy stuff is easy to find. Loews is a topnotch company with amazing hotels, can't wait to check out the one on South Beach this summer:banana:

i do believe the internet fees/gym are free for youfirst, not sure what level you need to have attained. Irritating to get nickle & dimed anyway, resort fees in general a pain at most hotels. Re parking, it's disappointing that the onsite hotels no longer offer 'free' HC accommodation:confused:.

RPR used to be my fav onsite, both for themeing and the price point

my beef(s) with the hotel over last few stays are directed to several levels of mgmt there:rolleyes1, from mia general mgr to front desk, down to housekeeping mgmt. Although, i will admit that even though my issues weren't resolved during my visits, i contacted Loews corporate (with detailed descriptions of issues and lack of response) once i returned home and was contacted by senior cororate management as to my concerns.:thumbsup2

issues ranged from:

* being hassled at front desk re my platinum status (upgraded room) resulting in my having to call youfirst helpline myself to verify it and hand cellphone to clerk.

* having a rollaway deposited inside doorway entrance to room (as in it was the only place it'd fit upright, let alone open), in a King room when i requested 2 Qs, finally got moved @ 7 pm into Q room.

*sofa bed in King suite beat beyond belief...bowed downwards in the middle & u could feel springs sticking thru. They brought a rollaway the next night that wasn't much better. DS woke up with what we were told was a painful fire ant bite. btw, we were told all the 'upgradeable' suites are Kings, no 2 Qs:confused3 as it was set up as their business hotel

that said, will i return? YES, i have faith in them & feel they will eventually get it right if management kicks it up a notch:goodvibes and the only way they will is for guests to address management unresolved issues with corporate offices.

Thanks for the review, we are staying at RPR in July. The writeup seemed fair to me, and while I'm thrilled that the rooms are nice and the food is good (a big plus), a dirty pool is a big problem. Additionally one of the reasons we are the at RPR rather than the HR is that I don't like being blasted out of my chair by other people's choice in music...I'll listen to my DD's ipod at high volume if I want that. I appreciate the honest review.

was the song by 3oh!3 - Don't Trust Me?

I like this song and will say that the version played on the radio does not say "Never trust a hot". That being said the song is hilarious and plain gibberish.

We are planning a vaction at Universal and I am busy researching !!! I love the themimg of RPR the best of the 3 !!But that's my opinion !!I am a Disney Veteran and know my way around the parks restaurants etc !! The music at the pool would not be a problem for us , but the DJ's attitude was JUST wrong !!The biggest complaint I have about Universal is the prices of their restauarants and the fact that there is no reasonably priced food courtsat the resorts. They offer no meal plan other than the MEAL DEAL at the parks !!I think they need to seriously look at these issues if they want to compete with Disney!!

We are planning a vaction at Universal and I am busy researching !!! I love the themimg of RPR the best of the 3 !!But that's my opinion !!I am a Disney Veteran and know my way around the parks restaurants etc !! The music at the pool would not be a problem for us , but the DJ's attitude was JUST wrong !!The biggest complaint I have about Universal is the prices of their restauarants and the fact that there is no reasonably priced food courtsat the resorts. They offer no meal plan other than the MEAL DEAL at the parks !!I think they need to seriously look at these issues if they want to compete with Disney!!

:confused3 they've been competing successsfully with all the orlando attractions for years, including disney, just a slightly different demographic

i really hope U doesn't try to morph into disney clone w/addition of HP & catering to a specific pattern of travel. It's special just the way it is.:goodvibes

I enjoy DP, but it's value has certainly changed, especially w/OOP tipping. When dining @ Universal -

*you can typically get a reservation the same day vs disney
*you're not locked into eating CS or TS depending on what you have left in pre-paid account
&
*the food offerings aren't as standardized (especially in citiwalk & the resorts) as disney either.

I agree that RPR and HR could use better quick service options. I think the meal deal was Universal's attempt to try to compete with Disney's dining. USO does not have nearly as many quests staying on site as WDW and the Meal Deal is likely targeted more towards the day guest. Hopefully, they will continue to try to expand their dining options if it is feasible to do so. But I must say, I do not want USO to sacrifice quality and variety like WDW did when they instituted their dining plan. I enjoy USO restaurants more than WDW now which I couldn't have said about 5 years ago. If you receive frequent surveys from USO like I do, make sure to reply as I know they listen to concerns and suggestions.

I found the review useful and honest in what happened.

I also agree that Universal sometimes seems to be against being too family friendly to keep it's uniquely "edgy" appeal, but it doesn't always work well...like in the Lost Continent area where they've also played more modern music in recent years near the games area, instead of something that fits the theme.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter