Week of May 4th WISH Walking/Running Club

Michelle - having been bitten, I could well relate to the feeling of running for your life. thank goodness for the electric fence.

I'm so afraid of that! I'm afraid of large dogs, and I'm always looking for parked cars that I can jump on top of (have had to do that whilst running before!), or fences I can get behind if I ever need to... its quite scary!

Cosi Bella- Wow, it sounds like you had some run trying to stay a step ahead of that dog. Yeah, I'd say you burned some calories there.

lol yea most definitely! I was running so fast I had to actually stop when I got far away from him to catch my breath! It was not funny while happening... now, quite funny lol:rotfl:

Michelle, see, after reading your post I'm not thinking of almost being bitten or anything of the sort. I'm thinking just how fast you've gotten in no time at all!
:lmao:

hehehehehaha I guess I have! I will definitely running on the other side of the street tonight when I go past them!

CB Michelle – Glad you’re feeling better. You’re right, there’s just a TON of info out there! Glad to hear that those 3-milers are getting easier. LOL at your dog story – I had what looked like a pit bull give me the stare down on one of my runs last week, and it completely creeped me out. I think I’ll be avoiding that street in the future.

Ugh, pit bulls are so scary!!! I know not all of them are bad, but there are so many that have a nasty personality, and I am so afraid of them! Def avoid that street if you can!!!

** as a side note to my SCARY dog story:

I went online today and bought pepper spray! I need some protection!!! There are SO many dogs in my neighborhood and we have a no fence rule (stupid association!), so the only thing keeping the dogs from chompin on my legs with their ferrocious teeth are the electric fences... and if those fail....>!!!!! So I ordered some police grade pepper spray.

I figure this will serve two purposes: 1. defend me from any human attackers... which is just as scary, and 2. defend me from any animal attackers. It was a little funny though; on the web page it gave uses for pepper spray for women such as: "protect yourself against attackers", etc.
But one of the uses was "in the bedroom" ...
in the bedroom!?! wait, what??

So if my DF gets a little to feisty I just pull out my pepper spray!?! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :lmao:

DAVE - Are you going alone on your trip???? Tell me how the Pirate and Princess Party is. We are debating doing it for our summer trip. We skipped it last year and DD7 figured out that there was one and gave us a stern talking to. Can't pull fast ones over that kid anymore. So we promised if they had them this year we would take her.

I'd love to swing the DL half (cuz I want that special medal), but since the race is a week after my next full that may be asking too much of my body (and my bank account).

Come on now Leanna, you did the Goofy just like me, and that's two days back to back. A week later, you'll be skipping through a half. :lmao: Are you going to be able live with yourself NOT having the extra bling?:guilty:

Bride Michelle (Cosi Bella) : Been there, as I was once chased by a pit bull for two blocks. I was running back in high school, had my walkman on, looked down and saw a pair of choppers looking back up at me, and hear his nails scratching the cement sidewalk as he was peeling out with his 4 feet. I laugh now, but it wasn't funny then. The olympic sprinter Carl Lewis couldn't have caught me that day. I was FLYING!!!

Cecelia: What, you too? I was bitten by a dog while collecting my monthly subscriptions on my paper route in 6th grade, I was 11 years old. It was a mother of new pups that got me. No rabies, so that doesn't explain my disposition. And it was back in the day when nobody sued one another. It was a family I grew up with that owned the dog.

You'd think I'd be afraid of dogs? But nope, we currently have four. We love the unlimited love and affection our dogs provide us. We had five until the last Honolulu Marathon day in December when we had to put one little guy down due to illness.

Anywho, my plans are to run 8 miles after work, and avoid looking into the eyes of my running guru Les (see my previous message to Deb, if you need clarification).

gortman65 -- :welcome: Welcome! It is great to have you here! Looking forward to hearing all about your training sessions and DW's as well. :cool1: I think most of the formal training plans for the 1/2 marathon start in September, so many of us are "training to train" right now. I am working on a training plan to run some 5ks (I have mostly walked or walk/jogged the 20-some 5ks I've done). I figure if I can train to run a 5k by about early July, I could always run the first 3.1 of the half marathon and then relax to a slower pace without dread fear of the sweepers. :thumbsup2 Good luck with your running!

TXAng -- good luck with your W4D1 -- knowing you are out there ahead of me gives me something to work toward. Yes, that's me, always "running the WISH shirts!" :laughing:

Hey, before I forget -- AGAIN -- I wanted to send a huge WELCOME HOMEto our very own kzmarathon!! Love you, Kevin!! SOOOO glad you are back stateside, safe and sound! :hug: Hi, Kristen! :wave2:

DAVE - Are you going alone on your trip???? Tell me how the Pirate and Princess Party is. We are debating doing it for our summer trip. We skipped it last year and DD7 figured out that there was one and gave us a stern talking to. Can't pull fast ones over that kid anymore. So we promised if they had them this year we would take her.
Yup, I'm going alone. I wanted the family to come, but my DW is really busy with work now and couldn't get away. I'll feel wierd going to things by myself, but I kind of wanted to see the PPP fireworks. Plus, the party ticket is cheaper than a 1 day ticket, and the party starts right when my meeting is over. So hopefully I'm not too wierd and creepy going by myself. I will definitely report back to you on it. It will give me a purpose to being there.

Thanks for the welcome! We will follow one of the half marathon plans in "Marathoning for Mortals" come fall. For now we are also "training to train." Hopefully we will do the Bolder Boulder at the end of the month, just to get a feel for walking within a sea of humanity.

gortman65 -- :welcome: Welcome! It is great to have you here! Looking forward to hearing all about your training sessions and DW's as well. :cool1: I think most of the formal training plans for the 1/2 marathon start in September, so many of us are "training to train" right now. I am working on a training plan to run some 5ks (I have mostly walked or walk/jogged the 20-some 5ks I've done). I figure if I can train to run a 5k by about early July, I could always run the first 3.1 of the half marathon and then relax to a slower pace without dread fear of the sweepers. :thumbsup2 Good luck with your running!

TXAng -- good luck with your W4D1 -- knowing you are out there ahead of me gives me something to work toward. Yes, that's me, always "running the WISH shirts!" :laughing:

While I have nothing to report workout wise, as "life" has gotten in the way this week, I though I'd better stop and say hello before I get too far behind!

Claire - Here is the link to some pics of my cakes on Ringo. www.ringo.com/profile/miabanda But just in case that doesn't work for you, here's a pic of one that I like.
249559493RL885538582.jpg
Be careful about taking the cake classes! It's very fun and addictive and soon you'll find yourself taking orders like me! And I agree about the snake comment. They normally don't bother me, but when they startle me on a run, I can't help but freak out a little.

Tracy - WTG on your PR Minnie! I'm hoping on being able to stick to my "normal" long run pace in the 13 area for the DL 1/2. I see you'll be there too! Yeah...a fellow Warrior!

TXAng - Are you doing the DL 1/2? I can bring cupcakes! And don't worry about your so-called "failed attempt." I "fail" all the time, but at least I'm out there instead of sitting on the couch eating cupcakes! :lmao: You'll beat W4...keep it up!

Debra - Are you doing the DL 1/2? Maybe I really will have to bring cupcakes!

Aloha Jeff - No fun! No DL 1/2?!? Tell the school to just give the girls their work to bring with them. My did that one year when we went to your neck of the woods for 2 weeks. Ya think it'll fly? And BTW...:worship: to you! 6 miles @ 8:30 pace! :eek: OMG...I can't even imagine running that fast!

RoyalCinderella - Welcome. I too am doing my 1st 1/2 in August. My reason for running is a pure case of medal envy and any excuse that will get me to DL! The DH does not care for all things Disney so the conversation goes like this...me: I want to go to DL. dh: no, you went last year. me: but I want to do the 1/2 this year. dh: yeah right. me: no, really. dh: fine, whatever. :banana: See...whatever works! Have fun training!

Cecilia - You have a couch to 1 mile swim program? Would you mind sharing? Or letting me know where you found it?

Betsy - I am joining the dark side too! My first sprint is on 6/15 at DL! I can't wait!:woohoo: I also got my SIL to sign up, but now she's hooked, even before we have done one! :confused: She's bringing me magazines to show me which ones we need to do next. She's picked the Escape from Alcatraz bi...a 1.5 mile OCEAN swim and 7 mile run. :scared1: She's crazy!!! Look what I started!:laughing:

Ok...I'll post later if I actually get to workout! :rotfl:

Dave (skywalker), I get there next Thurs, too! Not till dinner time, but if you need someone to have dinner with (Epcot?), let me know. My friends will arrive later Thurs. night or Friday morning. We'll be there for the triathlon.

Mia...yay!!! Is that the Danskin they are having there? Dang...I'll have to do it next year...I have schedule issues for that one.
Alcatraz is awesome! I did the triathlon there last year (1.5 swim/18 bike/8 run), so probably mostly the same. It is a little scary, but what a rush and accomplishment to know you've swum the Bay! very cool. I like the way your sis thinks!

Claire - Here is the link to some pics of my cakes on Ringo. www.ringo.com/profile/miabanda But just in case that doesn't work for you, here's a pic of one that I like.
249559493RL885538582.jpg
Be careful about taking the cake classes! It's very fun and addictive and soon you'll find yourself taking orders like me!

I LOVE the picture of that cake!! I have spent that past couple of days reading almost everything I can about decorating cakes. I even went and bought a bunch of tips so I could start practicing. I am not supposed to start the Wilton's class until June, but I figure I can practice until then. Let me tell you, it will be worth the price of that class though, if they can teach me how to make that daggum Wilton rose. Everything else I figured out pretty easily!! I have decided to make a cake for my Mom and another for my MIL for Mother's day. I am gonna do a cake with a basket weave around the sides and flowers all along the edge. I'll take a pic and share once I get them done!! They won't be anywhere near as nice as that one though, WOW! I would love to see more, the link didn't work.

As for me, it's been a LONG day. Last night, as we were getting ready to go to sleep I started noticing someething wrong with my yellow lab. He's about 8.5 years old now so he's definately not a pup anymore. Well, he started trying to walk across them room, but his legs were jerking and he was shaking. He didn't fall or anything but all of his muscles were cramped up and he was convulsing. It seems he was having a seizure. It scared the mess outta me. The doc just said to keep on eye on him and see if he has anymore. If he does I have to take him in immediately, otherwise it may just have been a one time thing. To say the least though, I didn't sleep well last night. He's been fine today.I think it scared him quite a bit, as he hasn't left my side since it happened. He won't even go out to potty without me walking with him. He'll walk out the door and turn around and look at me like, "Aren't you coming?!". Right now I am just biding my time until I can put the kids in bed and crash myself!!

Dana

I started noticing someething wrong with my yellow lab.

Dana,

Take care of your dog :wizard: . Check for any swelling, could have been stung by a bee or wasp, or something else similar.

We had an Akita years ago that suffered from seizures. All that we could do for her was comfort her until the seizures stopped, and give water when she came to. The vet didn't prescribe meds, so she just lived with it for several years. The seizures came and went without any warning, about twice a year.

TXANG--How did today go with W4D1? I hope you conquered it! I know you can!

I got home too late from work to run, I beat the school bus by only 10 minutes. Then we had the girls' horseback riding lessons and my middle daughter's softball game after that. We just got in and it is time to get the kids ready for bed. Hoping tomorrow I can get up and out early, like as soon as the bus pulls away. I just want to DO this!

Allyson :)

Good evening,
Just a quick post because I'm at work and this is my 15 minutes break. Please Leana, don't send the cold weather and snow my way (Sherbrooke, Québec).
Easy 5k run this morning. Then, start the water for the shower and instead of getting warmer, the water is colder and colder. No more hot water in the house. Fun. Call the plumber and I was lucky because he was at home at noon. Can someone explain to me how my grand-parents and the generations before live without hot water in their house??? Back to work.
Bonne soirée. Diane

Leana - I simply cannot believe it's going to snow there tonight. Guess that means you'll be putting the snow tires on the bike then?

Dave - I don't think it's odd at all to go to WDW by yourself...I bet it ends up being a lot of fun! I'm the kind of person that could easily do something like that :)

Allie
- good luck running the course this weekend! Swallow that hill up and spit it out :)

Gortman
- Welcome!! That walk/run plan sounds like a winner to me! I think you find lots of support here and will probably make a few friends along the way :) The MtM plans are awesome!

Carrie - Hmmm...summer meet in Michigan. Let's do it!

TXAng - got some Bingham pics on the blog...he totally stayed out of trouble. He became a big fan of lounging poolside :) Hope the run went well today!

CB Michelle - I think the pepper spray was a wise investment...hopefully you'll never need to use it, but it's there in the event of an emergency.

Joan - cool pics! Thanks for sharing! Now I'm wishing we did the P&PP last Friday...

Michelle - Thanks for the cake photo...why is it every time I read the events thread lately, I get super hungry for sweets? Hmmmm...

Dana - Hope everything is ok with your dog...that's scary for sure!

Allyson - I like how your ticker says WDW half Marathon/Bahamas...Bahamas...sounds like a wonderful place to recover from the half....hmmmm...

Amy
- see previous shout out to Allyson...hmmmm....

Scott's World - Working on day two of the trip report folks...it's a long one! I did manage to get out there tonight and run though. Storms are threatening the area and it was raining a bit but it subsided by mile 3 and held off for the duration of my run. I ended up doing 6.2 miles in 53:52. I really needed the run tonight, so I just relaxed...didn't even take the mp3 player...it was just me & the pavement (and some raindrops...and thunder). I learned that I kind of zone out with my thoughts regardless if I have music playing or not, so for now at least just to change things up I'm going to leave the music at home.

That's it for now...I hope everyone out there has a wonderful night!

Ummm...Dave? WHich conference are you going to? I'm arriving Tues night for the AACE meeting at the Swan/Dolphin. I'll be there til Friday.

Diane...yikes :scared1: ! I am sooo not a cold water person.

Betsy...I may be free on Thurs evening.

Lynne, Kathy, Erin...when do you guys get back to WDW?

Welcome gortman!

Cam...I've won Kaley over to the dark side. She's trying out for colorguard this week :cool1: This year's show is Phantom of the Opera.

Question: OK, DH seems to be ocnvinced that we will do San Antonio. However, he wasnt to do teh full, because that would put our long trainign runs in teh fall, tehn we would do somehing like, 3, 5, 8, 5, 10, 15, 10, 6. After that. What do you guys think? Besides teh fact tha trunning the full cuts down on some WISH time, do you think we'd be ok for WDW? Scares teh crud out of me, but doing a 20-miler in October sounds much better.

I am doing the full in San Antonio and then the Full in January. I hope it is possible but I figure the long runs will be a little longer since I will be up at the higher mileage by that point.

:scared1: WE SIGNED UP FOR THE DISNEY FULL!!!!!!:scared1:

Great job for totally jumping in. You did great this weekend and I didn't see you as you passed me like I was standing still. :rolleyes1 Actually I may have been at that time but we won't mention that...

Add me to the list of people who aren't sure about the Princess Half, even though I'm tempted by an inaugural event and meeting more WISHers. The racce seems like a good deal for DOOD and me, as it falls during his institution's Spring Break. But it's during SPRING BREAK, among other irritating aspects like the resort transportation--oh, and a household budget--to consider. Anyone want to talk me into it?

As for me: No real time/energy for a post about me tonight. I've been overcommitted to the housing search--no new news there, although I do have a couple of anecdotes I'll share later--and dealing with my mitchiness over it. You know I try not to bring that to the DIS. I've been squeezing in WOs when I can, but it's not been a consistent week for exercise or reading the DIS. I think I'm going through withdrawal on both counts. And yet....I see these addictions as healthy. :confused3 :rotfl2:

Go ahead and do the princess. There does that help.

Looking for houses instead of working out. :sad2: I thought you were supposed to look during your runs. ;)

Snowfall warning in effect.

Did I miss something. We just hit our first week of 90+ temperatures. I would welcome something in between right now.

Greetings Everyone:
OK, gotta run... well, not literally. Literally, I need to sit and stare at my computer screen some more. I'm not doing anything close to running.

Hi Dave...Bye Dave. Hope to see you over here again. Otherwise I might have to keep crashing the Philly thread. :lmao:

Hi everyone!

My wife and I are signed up for the 2009 Half Marathon. I just recently found out about the W.I.S.H. team and in my best Monty Python voice would like to ask, "Can I join your group?"

Welcome, glad you have taken the plunge and hope we can offer help.

But one of the uses was "in the bedroom" ...
in the bedroom!?! wait, what??

So if my DF gets a little to feisty I just pull out my pepper spray!?! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :lmao:

Uhmmm....you might not want to give certain people ideas. Although that could add a little spice to things.

Michelle - having been bitten, I could well relate to the feeling of running for your life. thank goodness for the electric fence.

I was only attacked by a cat and it was mostly my fault. Teach me to be nice to them in the future. I don't think anything would have helped except earplugs.

As for me, it's been a LONG day. Last night, as we were getting ready to go to sleep I started noticing someething wrong with my yellow lab. He's about 8.5 years old now so he's definately not a pup anymore. Well, he started trying to walk across them room, but his legs were jerking and he was shaking. He didn't fall or anything but all of his muscles were cramped up and he was convulsing. It seems he was having a seizure. It scared the mess outta me. The doc just said to keep on eye on him and see if he has anymore. If he does I have to take him in immediately, otherwise it may just have been a one time thing. To say the least though, I didn't sleep well last night. He's been fine today.I think it scared him quite a bit, as he hasn't left my side since it happened. He won't even go out to potty without me walking with him. He'll walk out the door and turn around and look at me like, "Aren't you coming?!". Right now I am just biding my time until I can put the kids in bed and crash myself!!

Dana

Hope your dog is ok. That is definately a scary situation.

As for me: The week flew by and I have done no training. I have another race on Saturday and figure that I finally learned my lesson and will take it easy between races and see if I can not hurt myself this time.

I just found a mockingbird nest by our front door with 4 eggs in it. Billy is definately excited about it. Now I have to keep an eye out for baby birds to make sure that Momma doesn't take my head off. :scared1: :rotfl2:

Talking about dogs, our golden went in for a dental cleaning and I don't think he is too happy with me. He keeps glaring at me although the fact he is still a little groggy makes it interesting watching him try to get places.

Bill

Mel - That is so cool about Kaley!! Sending hugs and pixiedust: for a great tryout! Jenn has to go through the audition process every year at her university and her all day audition is this Saturday. Their marching band is going to Ireland in December 2009, so I am sure there will be a lot of new members/auditionees. Be sure to let us know how Kaley likes it! :hug:

Just had a great reply and was pretty long, but somehow I got logged out and lost it all.

Will do it tomorrow morning.

I did 5k tonight in 43min. Not too bad for me and walking.

Off to watch LOST!!!

On another note, my girls ran their first race last weekend!

Shan,

Tell your junior WISHers GOOD JOB!!! DH too. :thumbsup2

Good luck with your surgery, don't rush getting back, take your time at heal properly. See you on the flip side. :wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter