Welcome, Foolish Muggles! IoA/US/MK/SW July 2011* Top Ten "Things" *

Natebenma, I have to tell you how much I've enjoyed this TR. Between you, Schumigirl and (especially) Bubba's Mom, I've not only joined the Dis boards, but I contacted my travel agent, and tacked on a 3 day stay at RP to my December WDW trip.

Thank you (and the other trip reporters) for sharing your vacation with us. It really helps me get through the dreariest of days. :worship:

Thank you so much for those nice comments! I have to agree, there are definitely some great reports on here!

I hope you will write about your trip when you are back! Are you staying at one of the Disney resorts for that part of the trip, or offsite?

After finishing our meal at Mythos, we decided for a change of scenery. We had not been back to the Studios since our first day (Monday), it was now Thursday.

We passed by Rip Ride Rocket:

IMG_6473.jpg

We strolled through New York:

IMG_6475.jpg
insert picture of subway entrance that I accidentally deleted! OOPS!

IMG_6476.jpg

IMG_6477.jpg

IMG_6478.jpg

IMG_6480.jpg

IMG_6481.jpg

IMG_6483.jpg

Since Disaster was closed down when we went by it a few days ago, we were pleased that it was open now.

IMG_6486.jpg

Disaster- A major motion picture ride… starring YOU!
I would say this is most like the Backlot Tour at Hollywood Studios. A little of the first part where audience members film the attack of the battleship, with a pinch of Catastrophe Canyon thrown in.

None of my family members were picked to be in the show (could have had something to do with none of us raising our hands). There are no photos allowed in the soundstages (understandable) and Christopher Walken (in hologram form) is in charge of the productions and while I may sneak a photo or two under Dudley Do-Right’s nose, I’m not messing with that dude!

The show is fun, worth doing once during a trip.

We didn’t try a similar near-by attraction: Twister…Ride it Out- Experience what it’s like to be a real storm chaser. I have heard mixed reviews on this one.

After Disaster, we continued our clockwise tip through the Studios until we arrived in Amity for another ride through shark-infested waters.

Here’s a picture OF the obligatory picture spot. Not AT the picture spot- it was just too busy and we didn’t feel like waiting to take a picture. So here is a random family in the Jaws of the beast.

IMG_6491.jpg

IMG_6493.jpg

We had really decent views on the ride:

IMG_6494.jpg

IMG_6496.jpg

Fins to the Left!

IMG_6501.jpg

IMG_6502.jpg

IMG_6503.jpg

Fins to the Right!

IMG_6505.jpg

IMG_6506.jpg

IMG_6508.jpg

Next it was time to kick some alien butt at Men in Black. But first, we had to battle the legendary locker lineup. You see, we were still carrying around our souvenir butterbeer mug and we couldn’t carry this onto the ride. This was the first and only time during the trip that we had to use the mandatory lockers. We purposefully traveled light and found that everything my family needed could be carried in my fanny pack or Mark’s lanyard pouch- He typically carries all of our park tickets and the room keys that we need to show for the front of the line access.

It actually wasn’t that bad. You scan your finger and put in a code, I believe.

But I'm still not anxious to try the ones at Forbidden Journey.

We had a great ride on Men in Black- we were the only ones in our car/spaceship/whatever the vehicle is. We even have a pretty decent redneck ride photo:

IMG_6515.jpg

It was around 8:30 when we finished up here. It had been another long day- we started out at Sea World, came back to our room for a rest and a swim, we had a few hours at Islands of Adventure and a couple more hours at the Studios. Seems like a great time to call it a night!

And two members of our group decided to do that. We split up: Mark and Ben decided to head back to the room, Nate and I wanted to ride Mummy a couple of times before Uni closed at 9. And then head back to the Wizarding World. After all, IoA doesn’t close until 10!!! We have created a commando monster! And we love it!

I lingered a little bit taking some photos along the way.

A couple of pictures of the Simpsons:

IMG_6512.jpg

IMG_6521.jpg

Lombard’s Restaurant

IMG_6523.jpg

As we proceeded toward the Mummy, I saw Mark and Ben up ahead.

IMG_6524.jpg

But they were headed towards the Mummy, not the exit. :confused3 We caught up to them and Mark explained he was coming to find us. He still had Nate’s and my ticket!!!

We thanked them, and parted once again. Tickets and Room Keys (aka Express Passes) in hand, Nate and I rode Mummy. Twice.

When we exited the ride, they were making the closing announcements for US and announcing that Universal 360: A Cinesphere Spectacular would be starting soon. It is kinda hard for me to describe this, mainly because we didn't stay to watch, but I think it involves watching film clips on a giant globe followed by a few fireworks.

So I would venture a guess that this is closest to Illuminations, the EPCOT finale based on the globe, projections, fireworks

We were instead on a magical mission- what would the last hour look like in the Wizarding World?

Next up: Chasing Harry and a Major Muggle Mistake

Another great update with great pics! Can't wait to see some Potterland night shots!!

Another great update with great pics! Can't wait to see some Potterland night shots!!

I'll try to get an update done sometime this weekend- but don't get your hopes up! I was not able to get many outdoor shots :(

You'll enjoy Mythos! Where is the other place you made a reservation?

Our other dining reservation is at Whispering Canyon Cafe over at Disney's Wilderness Lodge. That is the night of DD's birthday and I let her pick where she wanted to go for her birthday dinner. We are following dinner with a surprise haunted carriage ride for her over at Fort Wilderness! :cool1:

Another great update! Looking forward to more! :goodvibes

Thank you so much for those nice comments! I have to agree, there are definitely some great reports on here!

I hope you will write about your trip when you are back! Are you staying at one of the Disney resorts for that part of the trip, or offsite?

After my three nights at RP, I'll be at POFQ for six nights. In fact, I finally got around to ordering my ticket to MVMCP (on 12/13) last night. :yay:

It's been 10 years since my last trip (crazy, I know), and both RP and POFQ are first time stays for me (though I've stayed at HRH three times, and on Disney property seven times).

so i have been following your report with great interest because although we've been to WDW quite a few times - this year for my sons 10th birthday (another Ben) he declared that he wanted to go to universal as well as disney so we're doing a split stay 4 nights at Portofino and 4 nights at SSR (all that DVC had left in early Dec)

so i have been following your report with great interest because although we've been to WDW quite a few times - this year for my sons 10th birthday (another Ben) he declared that he wanted to go to universal as well as disney so we're doing a split stay 4 nights at Portofino and 4 nights at SSR (all that DVC had left in early Dec)
Wow, our trip is very similar - DS 9yo, our first trip to Universal Studios. Staying AKV - maybe snagged one of last few available? Also going early December and staying at Portofino resort...looking forward to it and you are right the TRs really help!! :thumbsup2

:welcome:

Glad to have you following along! Sounds like an excellent trip lineup!

Wow, our trip is very similar - DS 9yo, our first trip to Universal Studios. Staying AKV - maybe snagged one of last few available? Also going early December and staying at Portofino resort...looking forward to it and you are right the TRs really help!! :thumbsup2

Another great itinerary!

If you guys have any questions along the way, just ask!!!

It was dark as Nate and I left US to go to IoA. We were really booking it since the park would only be open for one more hour and WW is way at the back of the park! My commando wingman was doing an awesome job keeping up with me. I was ahead, moving at a pretty fast pace, scoping out openings ahead in the crowd. I was making hand-signals so Nate would know which way I was going next. My hands were touching like I was praying and I would point them to the left or right of my body to indicate my direction.

I was hoping we would find low crowds in the Wizarding World. Everything I had read indicated that the last hour before IoA closed tended to be the least crowded time there. However, this was Thursday, July 14, a few hours before Deathly Hallows, Part 2 was premiering. LeakyCon, the Harry Potter fan convention was also taking place.

We saw lots of costumed guests in the parks this week. I really have to give credit to the dedication of the fans who were wearing full black robes, ties and scarves in the July heat! Mark says he saw someone dressed spot-on as Moaning Myrtle, with white makeup and everything. I was impressed that someone would emulate Moaning Myrtle and even more impressed that my husband knew who that was!

At some point in City Walk, I spotted him! Harry Potter himself! This guy was dressed perfectly in his robe, looked to be about the right age and height (Harry, year 6 probably). He was booking it to the Wizarding World at about the same pace as we were. I tried so hard to get ahead of him to take a picture, without appearing like a stalker. Took a couple of photos, but since he was moving, I was moving and it was dark, they all came out blurry.
Here’s the best one I have, you are going to have to trust me on how much this guy looked like Harry!

IMG_6531.jpg

We followed him all the way to Hogsmeade, where he ducked into Honeydukes.

We continued on to the castle to ride Forbidden Journey. Imagine my delight when Nate said “Wait time is 15 minutes!!!” Awesome! Just enough time to enjoy the queue through the castle before the ride.

Then he distracted me by pointing out the magical sign for the attraction which lit up a letter at a time:

IMG_6538.jpg

Very cool!

So we were in the castle, moving right along, until… we reached the dreaded greenhouse. The line formed on the very bottom of the greenhouse ramp. No way was the wait going to be 15 minutes! I still don’t know what happened- if the posting was wrong, or if "someone" made a mistake when he read it, but this was the most miserable wait we had on the trip. It is really really hot in the greenhouse and except for a small display case along the wall at the end of the queue, there is not a lot to see. I’ve said it before (earlier in this report, in fact) and I’ll say it again

The greenhouse could use a little less heat and a little more magic!

At this point Nate and I were pretty hot and pretty tired after our long day. Nate did not have his phone with him. I had mine. I pulled it out and looked at it. There were a couple of voice mail messages, so I listened to them.

“Hi, this is Ann (my neighbor who is watching the house and feeding our gerbils). Is there another carbon monoxide detector in your house? The one in the dining room has been going off for a couple of days, so I unplugged it”

:scared1:

Fortunately, since I was still in the greenhouse waiting area, I had plenty of time to text her

“Yes, there is one upstairs and one in the basement”

Neither one of them was going off, and the gerbils were still alive, so we figured it was just the battery that had died.

I think I sent another text or two to other friends, although I had to explain to one of them when we got back what a pocketful of FPs meant.

There is a view up at the castle turrets from one vantage point in the greenhouse:

IMG_6541.jpg

Finally, we were out of the greenhouse and in the castle checking out Dumbledore’s office, some classrooms and the Griffindor Common Room:

IMG_6554.jpg

IMG_6557.jpg

IMG_6558.jpg

IMG_6559.jpg

IMG_6560.jpg

IMG_6561.jpg

So, riding Forbidden Journey ended up taking a lot more time than we thought it would! And when we were done, it dawned on me that we had made a Major Muggle Mistake! This would have been the perfect opportunity to use the Single Rider Line. This was a lesson I would not soon forget.

I took a few pictures of Hogsmeade when we were finished, but not many.

IMG_6563.jpg

IMG_6565.jpg

IMG_6566.jpg

IMG_6567.jpg

The park was closing in about 15 minutes. I had not been on one of Nate’s favorites, so we quickly made our way to Marvel Superhero Island.

The Incredible Hulk Coaster-Feel the rage on a high-speed roller coaster rampage.

IMG_6571.jpg

We showed our room keys and made our way to the loading area. While we were there, we saw a family carrying a couple of backpacks. As they were about to board the ride, they were told they couldn’t bring on the backpacks and they couldn’t leave them there. I think one member of their party took the bags and left. She wouldn’t be riding that night. We heard announcements that Islands of Adventure was closed and there would only be a couple more takeoffs.

We were on one of the last rides.

The Hulk was fun- another very smooth coaster. Fast takeoff like RockNRollercoaster. Lots of loops/inversions.

The line for the boat to the Portofino was pretty crowded. I think one boat just left when we arrived, and we were not able to get onto the next boat that arrived. It was probably pretty close to 11 when we got back to our room. The next day was going to be another early morning. It was the last day of our trip, and we were going to arrive for the 7 am opening of Harry Potter.

As I mentioned earlier, tonight was the night Deathly Hallows Part 2 was opening. Did you hear that the audience at the City Walk movie premiere was surprised with a complimentary visit to WWoHP after the movie from 3 am to 5am! Cool!

Although we were in Orlando, we didn’t have tickets to the movie. But we would be in the Wizarding World just 2 hours after the lucky guests had cleared out.

Next up: Last Day :sad1:

Whew ! :goodvibes
What a day ! I love your commando style of touring !
That is the way to get it all done.:thumbsup2
I am learing so much from your trip report, thanks for all your info.

I learn just as much from trip reports as I do from other threads. :)

I love all the pictures, great report ! :surfweb:

Oh, it's too bad you didn't get a good pic of Harry! Should have stopped him for a photo op but I'm sure he was in quite a hurry as well.

I'm looking forward to riding the Hulk. Rock-n-Rollercoaster (and California Screamin' in DLR) is a favorite of mine. Have a feeling Hulk will become one as well. Love the quick take-offs!

How awesome would that have been to be in WWoHP after the movie?!? Course, I'm always dead on my feet after a midnight show but I could have managed another couple of hours for that!

Great update!

Whew ! :goodvibes
What a day ! I love your commando style of touring !
That is the way to get it all done.:thumbsup2

I am learing so much from your trip report, thanks for all your info.

I learn just as much from trip reports as I do from other threads. :)

I love all the pictures, great report ! :surfweb:

Oh, WOW, thank you!!!

I, of course, got a lot of my information from the forums and trip reports here too. The one thing I have never seen on these boards is the heads up on the two picture spots in IoA : Me Ship the Olive, and the one between Marvel Island and Seuss Landing.

The thing about making sure everyone has their own tickets when splitting up is something we learned on our own. Or didn't learn. You'll see... :rolleyes1

Oh, it's too bad you didn't get a good pic of Harry! Should have stopped him for a photo op but I'm sure he was in quite a hurry as well.

I'm looking forward to riding the Hulk. Rock-n-Rollercoaster (and California Screamin' in DLR) is a favorite of mine. Have a feeling Hulk will become one as well. Love the quick take-offs!

How awesome would that have been to be in WWoHP after the movie?!? Course, I'm always dead on my feet after a midnight show but I could have managed another couple of hours for that!

Great update!

I considered asking him, but yes, he was rushing so I figured he was trying to get somewhere. He did stop at the entrance to IoA for a park photographer, and I considered doing a stealth photo then, but again, my son already thought I was being a "creeper".

I think you will love the Hulk, too!

I can't imagine how great those couple of hours were. You are surrounded by a bunch of fellow Potterheads, you have just seen the finale of the movie, and since it was probably just the movie patrons there, it probably wasn't as crowded as usual.

But I would be wondering how they got the castle cleaned up and put together so quickly!

On the morning of our last day, we were all up early, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed :squirrel:, so we could visit the Wizarding World of Harry Potter during the early opening hour (7 am).

Our plan for the day was to go the Islands of Adventure for a few hours, then return to the Portofino for breakfast in the club lounge. Checkout at the resort is 11 am so we planned to check our bags with bell services and return to Universal to hit some favorite attractions, then come back to the Portofino for lunch. Our flight was at 6 PM, so we had a 3:15 pickup scheduled for the return to the airport.

Once again, we followed Bubbamom’s shortcut through the Hard Rock Parking lot to get to City Walk. I’m not sure if I have described the bag check procedure- when you arrive at City Walk from the resort path, there is one guy who quickly checks the bags you are bringing in. No lines. I’m not sure there is even a table. Very easy.

At 7:05, we were walking through this gate:

IMG_6590.jpg

IMG_6591.jpg

IMG_6592.jpg

IMG_6593.jpg

I had a lot of problems with glare from this poster:

IMG_6594.jpg

A little better

IMG_6596.jpg

IMG_6597.jpg

IMG_6655.jpg

IMG_6610.jpg

On our first early opening visit to WWoHP, we skipped the Olivander’s show and went directly to the castle and Forbidden Journey. This time, I wanted to catch the show, so we got in line as soon as we arrived. I think there were about 40-50 people in line ahead of us. The wand shop is really small, only 20-25 people are let in at a time and the show is about 5 minutes long. I believe it took close to 30 minutes to get in (we were the 4th group). I don’t know that I would wait more than 30 minutes for the show, so if there are more than 50 or so people ahead of you, I recommend skipping this. Do it early if it is important to you- the lines will only get much longer during the day!

IMG_6599.jpg

Why does this sign make me think the shop is for men only?

IMG_6656.jpg

A girl who looked to be about 12 named Paige was picked to be chosen by a wand. The guy playing Olivander was really good. Here are a few pictures from the shop/show.

IMG_6602.jpg

IMG_6603.jpg

IMG_6604.jpg

IMG_6608.jpg

When we had finished, it was time to go onto Forbidden Journey again. Having learned from our mistake last night, Nate and I suggested using the Single Rider Line. Ben wanted to go in the regular line. So we split up with plans to meet at 8 am.

Nate and I were alone in the SRL. It was not a walk-on, it was a run-on! As we got to the loading area, the TM’s told us to “Hurry” and we were put on seats side by side. Wow, that was fast!

We were able to get on the ride so quickly that we decided to do it again. Until I realized that I had everyone’s room keys. So Mark and Ben would not have them to show for the Front of the Line Access if they wanted to do anything.

I panicked! I decided that instead of a second ride on FJ, we would try to find Mark and Ben in line. So we got into the Castle Tour line, and looked for them in the regular line. We didn’t see them! We ended up seeing them exiting Filch’s Emporium. They had finished their ride.

Of course, it didn’t occur to me that since we were meeting up with them again before the park was open to all guests, that it was probably not necessary to show the room keys anywhere. DOH!!!

Continued in Next Post

Continued from previous post

Together again, we all went through the castle for the last time, for a final ride on Forbidden Journey.

IMG_6613.jpg

Dang! The greenhouse again. At least the line is moving this time.

IMG_6618.jpg

IMG_6622.jpg

IMG_6630.jpg

IMG_6632.jpg

IMG_6634.jpg

IMG_6635.jpg

When we had finished with FJ, Mark and Ben took one more ride on Flight of the Hippogriff, while Nate and I tackled Dragon Challenge- red this time.

IMG_6639.jpg

IMG_6647.jpg

IMG_6648.jpg

IMG_6651.jpg

IMG_6645.jpg

IMG_6650.jpg

A parting shot of Hogwarts:

IMG_6659.jpg

Next up: A few last things at Islands of Adventure

I can't believe it's the "last day" of your TR! :sad1: I'm glad you have more updates coming because I have really enjoyed reading along and seeing all your pictures!! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter