What are the best packages to purchase prior to sailing?

cwhiteDE

Earning My Ears
We haven't sailed with Disney since 2016. What packages would you suggest purchasing prior to sailing. In the past we may have purchased a wine package or a mix drink package. Do they do this anymore?

Can we still purchase spa day passes prior to sailing?

Thanks for any advise. We are so excited about sailing with Disney again.

Yes you can do this. I would say if you are interested in any of the tastings they offer (wine, beer, bourbon etc) get those fast as they sell out quickly.

I personally don't drink but my DH did the bourbon tasting class on the Dream a few years ago and he liked it a lot.

The tastings DO sell out quite fast. We've sailed a few times (right before covid, and mid-covid after they started back up again) and I don't recall a "mixed drink" package, but we got the wine package both times and found the selection decent and prices much better when you purchase ahead of time. My wife and I will typically finish a bottle with dinner every night so it made sense for us.

I would love it if they had a mixed drink package, but they clearly didn't in 2022 when we sailed. I understand why they don't as they don't want to be labeled as a party boat, but it would sure be nice. That being said, we did find their a la carte drink prices somewhat reasonable compared to other cruise lines...

I don't think you can purchase spa passes prior to sailing, you have to do that once you get on the ship.

I'm not sure the wine packages are worth it, but it might depend on how long your sailing is. Each person can carry on two bottles of wine at each port (and you can bring them to the MDR, for a fee). The pricing on those packages is quite marked up versus what you'd pay for the bottles retail (and yes, that's to be expected, but IIRC it's a pretty severe markup, more than most restaurants). With that said, if you think you will purchase wine at dinner it's likely cheaper to purchase the package ahead of time as opposed to purchasing bottles each night.

For the tastings, do the one you typically enjoy. I did mixology (great!) and DH did wine. The wine, liquor and chocolate, and champagne ones had some overlap in what was served so that may be something to keep in mind.
For wine, I always price out the cost of the bottle plus corkage and compare to buying onboard. Usually its better anyway to bring my own and have something I know I enjoy. Your stateroom host will happily bring you a corkscrew and wineglasses if you request it too. Empirically speaking, there's no way for your dinner server to distinguish a glass of wine bought from a bar vs one you poured yourself in your room. Only downside would be if you wanted more than one glass.

I don't think you can purchase spa passes prior to sailing, you have to do that once you get on the ship.

I'm not sure the wine packages are worth it, but it might depend on how long your sailing is. Each person can carry on two bottles of wine at each port (and you can bring them to the MDR, for a fee). The pricing on those packages is quite marked up versus what you'd pay for the bottles retail (and yes, that's to be expected, but IIRC it's a pretty severe markup, more than most restaurants). With that said, if you think you will purchase wine at dinner it's likely cheaper to purchase the package ahead of time as opposed to purchasing bottles each night.
Yes - The corking fee is $25. So you can bring your own wine, but they'll charge you $25 to drink it everytime you bring a bottle of your own. You are correct the wine prices are inflated for sure, but it's definitely a discount to purchase a package ahead of time. Wife and I went on a 7-day cruise and got the 7-day premium wine package - so a decent bottle a night. We liked the ability to figure out what we were eating and then choose a wine to go with it. If I recall there were a few premium wines that were a "value" (comparatively speaking) to normal restaurant prices, but the classic wine package definitely had $13 grocery store wines selling for $30+ so not a good deal.

We also each brought on 2 bottles (2-whites and 2 proseccos) to have in the cabin with the cheese / cracker platter, and then a few times even took a bottle on deck after getting a boatload of peel and eat shrimp at Cabanas. Saved us from hitting the bar to get drinks...

Empirically speaking, there's no way for your dinner server to distinguish a glass of wine bought from a bar vs one you poured yourself in your room. Only downside would be if you wanted more than one glass.
This is technically not allowed, as DCL rules say you can't consume alcohol you brought on board in public spaces. But, also empirically speaking, there is no way for a cast member to tell the difference of a glass of wine poured in your stateroom versus purchased somewhere on the ship.

So there are different things here....there are wine packages - which are typically offered once you board the ship or at dinner in the dining room the first night and then there are drink tastings - which vary in offerings and are usually an hour or so in length and run at different times on different days.

The drink tastings you book in advance on whenever your activity booking window opens up. The actual wine package to enjoy on the ship doesn't sell out and you can buy that on the ship once you board. I don't know as much about spa passes as we don't look for those.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter