• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What charities would you give money to?

I would be more inclined to give away randomly to people I encounter. Think like cut in the front of the grocery store line to tell the cashiers at the line I'm in and the lines beside me to charge everyone's groceries to me. Obviously give enormous tips. Stuff like that. Pay people's medical bills and then some to help out individuals. By now, I know many people throughout my life that has medical troubles.

i know of someone who did this.

an elderly widowed man who won a sweepstakes that did not require public disclosure of his identity. he received a large amount yearly for the remainder of his life. he had no children/relatives but a handful of a close and trusted friends that would help him make anonymous financial gifts to people he observed to be in need or who he felt were deserving. might be the neighbor down the street that was struggling to make ends meet, someone who needed a major repair or medical cost covered, the neighbor kid who was going to school getting good grades and working his butt off to save for a car but was always refusing to be paid for helping out other neighbors. my hairdresser was the recipient of one of his gifts because of her extensive kindness to her older clients (him included)-she would run errands for them, check in on them, bake their favorite treats to have on their appointment days....she was one of the only recipients to know his identity b/c of the nature of how he gifted her.

I would put more money than I'm currently able to into cancer research. I'd also invest more into arthritis research. Most of the money would be spent on helping the homeless. I would build communal housing for them. To live there, everyone would be assigned a job, which would include things like building upkeep, maintaining the grounds or preparing meals. No, I'm not talking about a commune. :laughing: This would be independent living, while kind of "earning your keep". My goal would be to help them feel valuable to their community & have a greater purpose. I'd also work to help them find opportunities to learn trades or get a degree, if possible. Obviously, I've thought a lot about this, because I think everyone should have a roof over their head & food to eat. Now, I just need to win that lottery.:rotfl:

Last edited:
Our church, a local pregnancy resource center and Parkinson’s Disease research

ETA: I would also fund a local charity that provides meals for children on weekends.

Last edited:

Addiction recovery, disabled vets, autism/Asperger, homeless and food pantries. All issues near and dear to my heart for various reasons.

My church, too.

I’d donate to a lot of places like children’s hospitals, scholarship funds, give kids the world, animals shelters, and local arts programs to names some.

Ronald McDonald House, ALS, and Texas EquuSearch. Others as well, but those three spring to mind first.

My local humane society, Best Friends Save Them All, Tunnel to Towers, Shriners.

I give monthly to Best Friends in Utah.....such a great organization that is very well run. I would definitely make a large donation to them for long time use if I won the lottery.

If you were a billionaire

I hear people say they were donate to charity if they suddenly came into massive amounts of money but which charity would you donate to?

I'd set up my own. I don't give to charities now. I donate to individuals who I feel moved to donate to.

Something with inner city youth. I would probably build some kind of boys and girls club in my old neighborhood.

Battered woman’s shelter. I would probably build one and run it.

Planned parenthood and other pro choice organizations. But I would probably create my own charity for this.

ETA: I would create a school and set up college funds in my old neighborhood. Kinda like Lebron James did.

I would put more money than I'm currently able to into cancer research. I'd also invest more into arthritis research. Most of the money would be spent on helping the homeless. I would build communal housing for them. To live there, everyone would be assigned a job, which would include things like building upkeep, maintaining the grounds or preparing meals. No, I'm not talking about a commune. :laughing: This would be independent living, while kind of "earning your keep". My goal would be to help them feel valuable to their community & have a greater purpose. I'd also work to help them find opportunities to learn trades or get a degree, if possible. Obviously, I've thought a lot about this, because I think everyone should have a roof over their head & food to eat. Now, I just need to win that lottery.:rotfl:
I was just thinking this exact thing when we were talking about winning the lottery.

I want to help to educate children who don't have the financial means to receive a top notch education. I grew up very poor and my parents struggled to send us to private schools because the public schools in our area were "less than" and they wanted us to have opportunities we wouldn't have had otherwise. The only way we could have done it was with the scholarships that we received. That is something that I pay forward now, but with a very large donation, I can setup my own endowment to help many kids.

I am also a chairperson for our local United Way's education impact committee. I would love to be able to directly help the organizations that I have evaluated in this committee that are doing such good work and truly would use my money wisely to help so many.

My church
My church's regional office
My church's national denomination
St. Jude's
Cancer research
Autoimmune (Lupus or RA) research
World Vision
Environmental groups
The Foundation to Decrease World Suck
Become a patreon of CrashCourse, SciSho, and other Complexly channels.
Local domestic abuse and homeless services
Local animal shelters
Local United Way
Set up a scholarship at my and my wife's college alma mater
Set up a scholarship at my and my wife's high school alma maters
My local community radio station
NPR
PBS

Give a bunch to the Bill & Melinda Gates foundation or another foundation.

Last edited:
I'd set up my own. I don't give to charities now. I donate to individuals who I feel moved to donate to.

That seems like too much work. There are already a bunch of foundations that are already set up, I'd rather just give my money to them. Why create a new foundation and hire people to run it and have all that extra overhead when you can just give your money to a foundation that already has overhead?

I already give to Best Friends, so I'd give more. Then probably things like St. Jude, JDRF, and reputable environmental charities.

We donate to St Jude's, the Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation, and we sponsor my sister every year in the Pelotonia cycling event that raises money for cancer research.

Fro the last few years, my wife and I donate to Zero - The End of Prostate Cancer. Also to a scholarship fund at the college I work for. A student that I had met several time was killed it an accident while studying abroad. This year we also gave to Give Kids the World in Kissimmee

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter