What do you like at Jiko's?

drumflower

DIS Veteran
I am planning a meal at Jiko and I am excited to try new food. Everything looks very exotic and fun. What have you all tried and did you like it? What was is like? :flower1:

I love the olive flatbread and the steak and macaroni. Yum!

The Duck Firecrackers and the Beef Rolls are my family's two favorite starters. For the main dish the Filet on Mac & Cheese is EXCELLENT and the Monk Fish is amazing.

my husband enjoys the beef filet and mac/cheese. it is excellent. last week i had the pork tenderloin--very good. the keyan coffee BBQ chicken flatbread is great. the scallopes are excellent also. :teleport:

Recommend:
Kenyan Coffee BBQ Flatbread, Kalmata Olive Flatbread, Peas Grains and Veggies, Crispy Cinnamon Spiced Beef Roll, Dessert Sampler, Margarita Specialty and Chocolate Martini

Also had:
Duck and Pork Firecrackers OK
Goat and Sheep Cheese Selection All but brie were good
White Bean Soup Good

I am seeing some common favorites! :cool1: What is the mac n' cheese like that comes with the fillet? It looks like the flatbreads are popular. What about desserts? Did anyone try anything that they DIDN'T like? Sorry for all the questions, I am getting too excited! :jumping4: :jumping4: :jumping4:

I remember getting the pomegranate glazed cornish game hens and thinking they were just "ok." But I remember we loved out apps and I tasted some of DH's entree and it was delish. I can't remember what else we ordered, (this was 2 or 3 years ago) but I know that we both agreed that Jiko is one of the top restaurants at WDW.

If you can, take the culinary tour that is offered at 4 pm. You do not need to sign up, just go to the Jiko podium at 4 pm. They give you samples of the different breads with different dipping spreads. Then you go to Boma and have a tour and samples there. You really should try Boma, too, if you have not already!

Have fun and make shure you give us a full report when you get back!

We have been to Boma's twice for dinner and it is truely a no miss dinner. But this year we are going to try Boma's breakfast and we are going to splurge on Jiko for the 1st time! I can't wait! :jumping4: :jumping4: :jumping4:

Whatever flatbreads they have are always excellent. I'm also partial to their Berbre Braised Lamb Shank--

Another vote for the filet and the mac and cheese. Also if you are a wine drinker they have some wonderful south african wines.

The beef roll appitizer was great. I had the Filet with Macaroni and cheese and flowers.
The Macaroni and cheese is a more "adult" flavor woth more p[otent cheese flavors. It was just a tiny bit bitter and mixed really well with the sauce on top of the filet.

What wine is most like merlot ? I tend to like reds unless there is a rich buttery chardonday! Any suggestions? I perfer dry wines. Thanks! :flower1:

The chermoula chicken is outstanding! It comes in its own little oven.

As far a wines go, ask a server to help you. They serve about 60 wines by the glass (many merlots) and have a wine master select the list.

I loved everything I had during my meal at Jiko! DH and I started with the Kenyan Coffee Barbecued Chicken Flatbread, which was quite yummy, very similar to other BBQ chicken pizzas I've had in the past. I then had the Cucumber, Tomato and Red Onion Salad, which was AMAZING. The cucumber and tomato were marinated in a vanilla-infused dressing, which combined with the watermelon vinaigrette to make a mixture of flavors that I can still remember. Wow!

My main course was the Harissa Crusted Golden Bass, which was fabulous. Perfectly cooked, with just the right amount of heat from the curry spices. The roasted potatoes and plaintains were so yummy. I finished this feast with the Pistachio Creme Brulee, and the chocolate bottom on this dessert really worked well with the pistachio creme.

DH's meal included the White Bean Soup, which he really enjoyed although the serving was a bit small, Seared Jumbo Scallops which he enjoyed, and the Coconut Mhalba, yummy and not too sweet.

Be sure to explore the wine list! Our server was very helpful, and DH the wine geek had a great time "talking shop" and tasting all the various South African wines. We tried so many dessert wines (including a free taste or two!), I think we had 10 glasses on the table at some point. :teeth: Have a great time!

the olive flat bread and monkfish were fantastic - everyone else loved their filet and mac and cheese

I didn't really care for the pistachio cream brulee

and the zebratini was yummy!

I thought the BBQ flatbread was wimpy. Not something I would ever order again. The beef rolls with banana dip were disappointing. (Ground beef) The steak and macaroni and cheese were good. My expectations were high because of reviews on this board. The chocolate purses for dessert were the highlight of our meal. My DH rates the meal much higher than I do and he has gone back since then and loved it just as much. We may give it another try in February.

I loved the Pomegranate Glazed Quail...it was so different and delicious. The colusari rice combined with sliced almonds and raisins and the warm swiss chard and beet salad with it was divine. I loved it so much I had to order it again. It was even better the second time.

Some of my favourites are:
- Kalamata Olive Flatbread
- Duck Firecracker
- Grains, Peas and Veggies (this is really a huge portion and the flavouring/spices used are awesome!)

For dessert:
- Chocolate Candies (very, very chocolately ... if you order this, make sure you try the hibiscus sauce before you dunk the candies in, the sauce goes well with the candies but has a slightly different taste)
- Pistachio Creme Brulee

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter