What Do You Tell Your Kids When You Decide to Visit WDW Alone

I have a 14 yo DD who doesn't know I'm going to WDW from 12/12 to 12/17. I'm going to tell her either that I have to go to an Avon seminar or a class reunion. Not sure which one she would 'buy'. :p

This is my first trip without kids in 22 years.

CAN'T WAIT!!!!

My daughter has now moved away from home... 4 miles away. Now when I tell her I'm going, she just agrees to come over and feed HER animals. :)

My kids are grown and gone. They're not the problem, it's the DGDs that are the problem! I let their mother decide what to tell them. :)

What we can go to disney without the kids mine will expect to come with us untill they are 50
Paulh

I have an 8 year old and 10 year old. I told them that I was going with a friend (which had been true, but then he had a death in the family and did not go) and splitting expenses and that I honestly could not afford to bring them, too. I got a *little* bit of the big eyes about it, but overall they understood. We do a lot of vacationing as a family, and they tend to respect that sometimes Mommy needs some grown-up time. Now, if I hadn't brought them to WDW in a long while, they might've put up more of an arguement; but we had returned as a family a month earlier. Plus, I promised to bring them back new pins, using the age-old method of bribery! :p

My husband and I are going by ourselves this December. It's our first trip to go by ourselves. Kids are 19, 16 and 8. They have been plenty of times. My 8 yr old said as long as the presents were under the tree before we left no problem.

The first time my parents went by themselves, I was in the middle of final exams at college. When I complained, my dad said gleefully, "Yeah, life's a b*tch, ain't it?" :)

I'm 30 now and meeting them in Orlando in two weeks. ;)

I didn't tell them, DH did on our last trip to DW. On our second day in the park, after the kids, now, 17,14 & 7, were arguing, he just looked at me, very serious and said, NEXT time, its' just you and me!

We are now planning our 10th ann. trip for 2004!~ After staying in the Grand Floridian, we may NOT come back!!!:cool:

My 11-yr-old DS knows about my holiday plans, but I'm not going to breathe a word to my 3-yr-old and 6-yr-old DD's. They'd be crushed. I'm just telling them that I'm going to be visiting some relatives--which is true. (My sister and nieces will be there.) DS has been to WDW twice in the past 18 months, and will be going again next Christmas. I think that helps to soften the blow a bit for him. ;)

I only have one child. I usually tell him that he's 27 and he has a career and he should get over it, he can't go :teeth:

I've told the older ones, they can take it. But my 7yodd? I'm not looking forward to that conversation. I'd hate to lie to her, but I don't think I could take the look of rejection on her face when she finds out I'm going to HER favorite place in the world. It's mine too, that's why I'm going. I'll just have to say I'm going to FLorida with some friends which is the truth. If she asks about Disney I'll say I don't think I'll be gong there. Wow. this is going to be harder than I thought. I have less than two weeks before I leave.....

We tell our DS18 all the things he needs to take care of while we are gone!!!!!!!:smooth:

He was the Guest of Honor in June when we took a family group to celebrate his HS graduation, so he is fine with this. And the reason we are returning so soon is that we have to use up DVC points we had borrowed to book an extra Studio in June, then cancelled because our DD21, her friend and our niece 20 chose to spend their income tax refunds and had no spend money. So, we figured that we'd slide in one more trip to use our AP's and enjoy the food & wine festival.

Our DS does keep asking, "When are you going back, and if I save my money, can I go with you then???" :rolleyes:

It is great to do it both ways, but especially nice just as a couple.

We decided to take a trip without the kids while we were at WDW in June, and we told them right there (ages 12, 9, and 4). They didn't bat an eye at the time!

Of course, now that our trip is getting closer I expect a little complaining, can't really blame them, but they'll have a great time with grandma and papa, and we're building that up to them. It'll be a special trip for them, too, only it won't be to WDW this time!

I'm going next month with my 2 aunts and a friend for my first ever "grown ups only" trip to WDW. I told my 13 & 14 year old DS & DD that it was girls only and they were pretty cool about it. 13 yr. old still tries to make me feel a little guilty, but he does it with a smile. The problem was with my married 20 year old who lives in Colorado! He was jealous! We're now planning a Disney Cruise for the entire family when DD graduates in 2005. I just hope I don't feel too guilty while I'm there because the kids enjoy it so much. They can't miss school though and I'm going Veteran's Day Week. Hubby prefers to stay home anyway, so he's fine with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter