What Do You Tell Your Kids When You Decide to Visit WDW Alone

My wife & I are going on 10/24 for 6 days. My son (18) is in Colorado at college and could not care less. He was able to start snowboarding 2 weeks ago at the top of the mountain. My daughter (21), however was not a happy camper as this was the 1st trip ever to WDW without her. As she has me wrapped around he little finger, as a Christmas present we are taking her and her fiance for 6 day in December. Talk about spoiled!!

I really got a laugh over this thread because I can really relate to it, but for all those planning on omitting the fact that they are going to WDW when they tell their kids they are going away be warned-------I tried this in Sept with my 18 DD, I was in FL for business but then added on days afterwards for a WDW trip--my DD tracked me down at WDW!!! I was shocked when I got back to my room after spending a nice afternoon relaxing by the pool to find a telephone message waiting for me from my DD who was not very happy, to say the least, that I was in WDW without her! I am returning to WDW in Dec and this time DD is coming with me so she has gotten over being miffed but she sure was not a happy camper when she called me at WDW in Sept! LOL!! My DS could not care less about me going to WDW without him, he has been so many times he is Disneyed out. I am constantly amazed that he is my son and doesn't totally love Disney. Go figure!
Also to the poster that told the kids "no parties" you might want to do yourself a favor and have a neighbor or friend also watch over the house and check in periodically to make sure there are no parties. I have said the same thing to my almost 19 yo & 21 yo and guess what.....yep they had parties anyway. Now I have a neighbor and a friend check on the house and make sure the no parties rule is obeyed. My kids' excuse was that they did not plan any parties, people just showed up from no where! Right!! LOL! ;)

Originally posted by nativetxn
I only have one child. I usually tell him that he's 27 and he has a career and he should get over it, he can't go :teeth:

man, at his age, he needs to get over it and go on his own. i am really learning through these boards that i am way more of a "take charge" kind of person than i thought. my parents couldn't afford to go often, and it was always off-site with no table-service meals. so, as soon as i could, i got down there on MY terms. i still didn't have much $ for my high school-sponsored grad trip, but i went to work there at age 18 and finally got to see all the resorts and restaurants! i've gone so often since then that my parents are jealous of ME!

LOL Nativetxn!!

DD is 19 and has not wanted to vacation with us since she was
16! To be honest she got so mopey when we did take her, it was a relief to go on our own!
Now she is 19, lovely, and starting to want to come with us again!! :p

I have teenagers!! My December trip is for me!! me!!! me!!! Hubby and the boys will get over it!!

Interesting thread--DW and I are going in December without our 2 & 3.5 year old, who have never been. It is sort of our last "adult" trip for I while, or so I would have suspected. Luckily my kids really don't know what WDW is yet, or maybe they would be more stressed out!

Will you be there during DISCON, rhodgkie? Wear a lime green ribbon and watch for them. Lot's of DISers will be there between 12/4 and 12/8 we would love to meet you :)

Dh has a lot of conferences at Swan/Dolphin and swears he never goes into the parks. We are taking the kids for a week next year and then next October I told DH I'm definitely going with him this time. Can't have the kids miss school, they are getting too old. So we both will "swear" we aren't going into the parks!

for those of you that don't want your kids to have parties and you know they might anyhow.
Bribe them. Promise parties but have them clean up and pay for all the alcohol/food/broken pieces of furniture/stains in the carpet. And be sure they'll be responsible about designated drivers and noise levels. Make them swear on their car, parent-paid credit card bills, next 3 months worth of spending money, or anything else you can get as collateral. Also make sure that they make it VERY clear that certain rooms are off limits. (Your bedroom, office, very nice dining room with plenty of breakable lladro). Lock those rooms if you don't trust your child's friends not to make out or peruse your belongings and possibly "help themselves". Also know when the parties are, people aren't allowed to stay for more than 1 night (in case they're drunk and no-one can drive them home). Make sure they follow the usual house rules such as smoke outside, recycle and throw away your stuff, wash the dishes. You might also want to make clear what is and isn't acceptable; accidentally knocking over a lamp and breaking it is okay, having people do drugs, even recreational, isn't.
This way if your child sees that it's okay to have a party but they have to be responsible about it, they can either go ahead and party or decide it's not worth it and keep the house off limits.
Forbidden things are ever so fun to young adults. ;)
I've seen lots of people near my age (22) have parties since high school. Usually, the parent sanctioned ones are safer.
And then they'll be looking forward to the parties so they won't whine about you going to disneyworld.

thanks for all the great tips freecia. dd and i went to wdw and left ds behind last may(his choice, i would have loved for him to come along) and i told him no parties! and yep, he had one anyway:rolleyes: :rolleyes: he still won't admit it but he gives me that little smirk when i ask questions and i just know he did:) i know because the rec room furnture was pushed back against the walls and the room was way cleaner than when i left. LOL:) i kept looking around for a couple of days and realizing i was missing things, photos and family treasures, and when i asked they mysteriously appeared from "safe" hiding places. nothing was harmed or stolen, simply tucked away by my ds for safety. this made me realize that he really does care about my feelings and possesions as he made sure that nothing i treasured would be in harm's way. this may i'm going to wdw solo and i have faith that both my children will take care of things while i am gone, of course we just got a new deck and the weather should be getting nice here by then...:rolleyes: LOL

katypop:D

Sounds like you have a great son. It was really sweet of him to keep everything safe and sound. Plus he cleaned up after himself so that it was even cleaner! Unheard of!
Sounds like he has a good sense of judgement.
I once had a schoolmate who gave norotious parties. Her neighbor and schoolmate, a friend of mine, would help cleanup the morning after. I don't think her parents minded too much because they knew that the house would be cleaned, people wouldn't drive drunk, smelly vices would be indulged outside the house, and there were responsible people like your son who made sure nobody and nothing got hurt. If anyone needed the paramedics or elsewise, they would call and tell the truth. That's really valuable.
I once saw a true life tv program where a girl took drugs at her senior prom and she stopped breathing. Her boyfriend called the paramedics but initially didn't tell them she had taken something and told the paramedics she had taken drugs too late. She died before she got to graduate high school. I personally think it's better to stay away from those things, but if I ever got in that girl's situation, I hope my friends would care enough for me to tell the paramedics the truth and follow the directions they gave. It seems like people try to cover up their mistakes but if a friend's life is in danger, report. They can live to hate you later.
I sound like such a cloud of doom! :( But I'd hate to have what happened to that poor girl happen to anyone else. It was just so sad. It was so senseless.

okay Freecia, now you're scaring me:eek: :eek: i would hope that things would never get that out of hand, but you are right, it is important for young people to understand that in an emergency only the truth will help, and untruths could have serious consequences. while i would not , for instance, love to get a call in the middle of the night from one of my children to give them a ride home because someone had been drinking, they know if they were to call i would go. the other choice, someone driving drunk...is simply not a choice.

oh, and about my thoughtful ds who cleaned up the house...you should see his room the rest of the year
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: i can barely see a floor through the mess:D

katypop

Hehe. My room looks about the same right now. But at least the common areas of the house are clean.
My parents just gave up on my room years ago. Some of my friends actually have very clean mothers who clean their rooms if they don't deem it clean enough. I happen to like mine messy so I can still find everything (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter