What Does Your Family Prefer On Meatloaf?

What does your family prefer on meatloaf?

• Ketchup

• Gravy

• Other; Please Share!

Results are only viewable after voting.
You put stuff on top of your meatloaf?!?!? :eek: Just give our family good old naked meatloaf! :teeth:

Seriously, ours have so much flavor on the inside that there's no need to cover it up! ;)

You put stuff on top of your meatloaf?!?!? :eek: Just give our family good old naked meatloaf! :teeth:

Seriously, ours have so much flavor on the inside that there's no need to cover it up! ;)
Ok, please share the recipe!! ;)

We usually have mashed potatoes and gravy with meatloaf....but, every once in awhile it is veggies with meatloaf and ketchup on top. :flower3:

Ok, please share the recipe!! ;)

We usually have mashed potatoes and gravy with meatloaf....but, every once in awhile it is veggies with meatloaf and ketchup on top. :flower3:

I generally make baked potatoes with meatloaf since the oven is on about an hour anyway. DH & DD usually have a baked sweet potato with butter & cinnamon/sugar on it, but I much prefer the Yukon Gold. Then we either have salads (we all like different things on them: celery, mushrooms, tomatoes, broccoli, 3-bean salad, olives, etc) or some type of steamed veggie.

I was afraid you'd ask for my recipe. LOL It's one of those things that I just open the cupboard & add what strikes my fancy. But a while ago someone asked me to try to put together the "basics". So here it is...

Deb's Meatloaf

1 lb ground beef (I use 90% lean)
1 egg, beaten
¼ c? ketchup or BBQ sauce (better with BBQ sauce)
1 - 2 Tbl A-1® sauce
1 Tbl? Parmesan cheese
2 - 3 tsp? Worcestershire sauce
several drops, maybe 1/8 tsp Liquid Smoke®
½ tsp cardamom
½ tsp coriander
¼ tsp ginger (dry, ground)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp beef bouillon, granulated
½ - 1 Tbl Kitcheon Bouquet/Gravy Master
bread crumbs

Mix everything together except bread crumbs until evenly distributed. Add bread crumbs until you can make a loaf out of it without having it stick to your hands. I'm guessing at least ¼ cup. I usually have to add several times until it "looks right" as my grandmother would say.

After that list, anything is fair game. ;) Generally it includes chili powder & no-salt seasoning (like Seasoned Salt) and maybe parsley, oregano, celery seed (ground), turmeric...like I said - pretty much anything in the spice cabinet. :rotfl:

We don't use salt much here, but do like the little bit that gets added by the beef bouillon. If your family uses the salt versions of the spices (like garlic salt) I'd just use those.

We have it with mash but instead of gravy we have cream of spinach - a Hungarian recipe I got from MIL. Very healthy (if you use 1/2 fat creme fraiche instead of heavy cream :lmao: )

Hunt's makes a canned meatloaf sauce that is fantastic! We make a basic meatloaf (using Stovetop stuffing mix, meat, egg and water only) and the sauce tops it perfectly!

Oh, and if you haven't, you might try making meatloaf muffins - I first heard about it on Weight Watchers as a way to make portions and I LOVE getting much more crispy topping then you would on a normal loaf...

Hmmm, guess what we're having for dinner tonight!

I make an awesome bbq sauce for my meatloaf which consists of Ketchup, Brown Sugar, Minced Onion, A little prepared Mustared and Woostershire sauce! Everyone who's every had my meatloaf says its the best so it must be good, LOL!

i use the recipe from Betty Crocker's cookbook, and it says to put ketchup on top (which I like). DH has always had gravy with his meatloaf, so I just make a can or envelope or jar of gravy to go with it...

DD prefers it "naked", I prefer it with tomato sauce and mashed potatoes, DH prefers it with bacon baked across the top and DS hates meatloaf altogether.

I make an awesome bbq sauce for my meatloaf which consists of Ketchup, Brown Sugar, Minced Onion, A little prepared Mustared and Woostershire sauce! Everyone who's every had my meatloaf says its the best so it must be good, LOL!

Me too! And it really makes it great!

Meatloaf muffins sound fantastic!! Do you have to do anything different to the mix, and how long do they take to cook?

I usually slice up the whole loaf and freeze what we don't eat (otherwise DH would eat the whole thing) so this would be much easier

I top it with a sauce similar to a sweet and sour sauce. That is the only way my dd's would eat it.

I pour tomato soup & worshestershire sauce on it when it bakes and then the boys use ketchup...I like the sauce from baking. I used to bake it with a can of tomato sauce but I like the soup better...

i have always hated detested and just plain not enjoyed meatloaf but my daughter and husband like it so occasionally i'd suffer thru it for them( i'm such a wonderful person:angel: :) ) but once i had it catsup-less and i didn't mind it..husband's mother always made gravy with hers so now i just add beef broth in place of catsup and make some gravy with the drippings( i use xxxlean ground meat anyway so not much fat) and i like it ok, still not my fav but not nearly as bad.,,i do like meatloaf sandwiches..go figure:confused3

I just found this board. Go figure!!

Stove top? Do share the recipe! I never thought to use it (do they make a low sodium stove top by chance does anyone know?)

What is a meatloaf muffin? It sounds cute. :D

I make mine with burger, a can of veggie beef soup (I learned that here years ago!), 2 eggs, some ketchup, crackers. Sometimes I try and jazz it up with a little A-1 sauce. LOL

BBQ sauce (Sweet Baby Rays' original) Only a little bit though- kind of a glaze.

My family hates meatloaf and so I make it the way I like it. I mix ketchup, mustard and brown sugar together and glaze it several times. It is so good!

I cheat on meatloaf and use the McCormick meatloaf seasoning packet. The instructions say you can use tomato sauce or milk in the recipe (along with meat, eggs, bread) and I use milk. To answer the original question, we put ketchup on it, although DH occasionally asks for gravy.

BTW, I sometimes make it using 1/2 ground turkey and 1/2 ground beef and it's delicious!!! :thumbsup2

I use a mixture of 1 cup BBQ sauce, 1/2 cup salsa and a few dashes of Worshershire sauce. I put half of the 'sauce' in the meatloaf and the other half spooned over the meatloaf as it cooks. (We like the muffins her too)! :goodvibes

I think I got this from Rachel Ray?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter