What happens if you don't do the timeshare presentation?

It was never mentioned and my stay was not even at Summer Bay----it was at a Holiday Inn in Kissimmee. So yes, I thought I was getting a good deal because I spent the required amount of money on groceries......paid my $99 for my 3 night certificate. How was I supposed to know that a timeshare tour was involved in the deal if noone ever mentioned it and it was not in the fine print.
While I know the offer, and the certificate, and maybe even the store, are long gone by now - I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the requirement WAS somewhere in the initial offer. Now, granted, customers may have had to go to the Service Desk or even contact the company headquarters - but I would think all restrictions and requirements would be spelled out and available to the public.

Why hide it in the fine print or trick people ?
Um, well, er... that's the point of fine print. There may be a LOT of rules, regulations, restrictions, etc. involved in a given offer. To put them in a standard-size print would involve pages and pages of documents - so companies condense it all by shrinking the font (to, sometimes, where it's nearly illegible). Many consumers don't or won't take the time to fully understand the terms of a given offer.

We really do see things pretty differently because I'm not getting the analogy here ? If disney lists the restaurants that are participating, that's all I need to know ? I have Disney Dining Experience card. Before I paid for it, I knew exactly which restaurants I could dine at.
In my experience with the timeshare presentation, when I purchased the $200 worth of groceries....then the $99 for the hotel certificate.....then booked my dates.....I never knew a timeshare tour was involved.
You know, while you got satisfaction from the Florida Attorney General's office, your original beef was REALLY with the promotions department of the store from which you purchased the certificate. THEY'RE the ones who should have been aware of the terms of what they were offering (and who's to say they weren't) and they're the ones who should have made the terms and conditions clear to their customers.

Oh, please....some timeshares are upfront, but it is well known that many are not, and that a considerable number of them have engaged in practices SO deceptive that numerous legal cases have been brought against them.

not trying to hjack this tread, but here's my story....

I too encountered a VERY deceptive pracitce via a timeshare deal. I was called by an operator that identified herself as "calling on behalf of " well-known hotel company X. She offered me a deal that included a tour of one of their properties, AND a stay at ONE OF THEIR OTHER ORLANDO properties for like $250. Company x offered us a similar deal about six months earlier, ofr the sme price, with a stay at one of their properties.

Only after they had credit card number, did they say, "Oh by the way, when it shows up on your cedit card, it won't say the big name brand, it will say only a generic name like timeshare marketing dept. They NEVER said the actual name of their company! and that was the ONLY hint they gave that they were not company X.

It turns out, the hotel they were supposedly going to put us up in wasn't owned by company x, and was particularly close to WDW, as they had also told me. The hotel they were going to put me up in had NO reservaion under my name. Big company x said they had no idea who this company was, and said they never solicited presentations through the phone....

It was only after many phone calls, that I was able to track this company down. I eventually found out one particular resort owned by company x was involved with this sales company, but even they were reluctant to admit their affiliation, and even more reluctant to refund my money. I had previously called this faciliity, and they had denied any affiliation!

Eventually, I was able to get my money back. But the FRAUD department of big company X contacted me, documented my statement, let me know that the main branch of the company did not approve of the affiliation in any way, and that they would most likely be pursuing some sort of legal action, or at least ensuring that the affiliation was terminated.

So don't tell ME that timeshare companies don't engage in decpetive practices. I believe the tactic I encountered is called the "bait and switch," and it is expressly listed in Florida state's websight as ILLEGAL!

bicker said:
Sounds pretty slimy to accept a promotion and then not live up to your side of the bargain. If you really object to sitting through the presentation, then you should cancel entirely.

It really amazes me how rude people are, of course i always attempt to be polite but there are forces that seem to be working against me so here goes

LEARN TO READ!! hello, can you read, i said i was offered a promo, they did ot mention a presentation- so how can i not live up to that, and no kidding, i should cancel, really wow, thanks for that-boy i would be lost without you.

Now to the rest of my dis friends,

about posting the info the other lawyer told me, since they are a member of the boards, i will need to ask that person if they mind if i post what i was told,

secondly, i called the resort and they offered to cancel which they normally do not do but they pulled the tapes and verified that the person did not mention the presentation offer, or they told me since that happened, they would honor the resv i have made and send out a corrected conf stating no presentation would be required.

I have the choice on wether i want to sit through a presentation or not, tell me up front and let me decide, i already own at OLCC and Hilton so i do not need any more timeshares in FL, we are staying a few extra days and i was looking for a good deal.

Thanks for all the positive responsed guys.

mickeyluv'r said:
Oh, please....some timeshares are upfront, but it is well known that many are not, and that a considerable number of them have engaged in practices SO deceptive that numerous legal cases have been brought against them.

not trying to hjack this tread, but here's my story....

I too encountered a VERY deceptive pracitce via a timeshare deal. I was called by an operator that identified herself as "calling on behalf of " well-known hotel company X. She offered me a deal that included a tour of one of their properties, AND a stay at ONE OF THEIR OTHER ORLANDO properties for like $250. Company x offered us a similar deal about six months earlier, ofr the sme price, with a stay at one of their properties.

Only after they had credit card number, did they say, "Oh by the way, when it shows up on your cedit card, it won't say the big name brand, it will say only a generic name like timeshare marketing dept. They NEVER said the actual name of their company! and that was the ONLY hint they gave that they were not company X.

It turns out, the hotel they were supposedly going to put us up in wasn't owned by company x, and was particularly close to WDW, as they had also told me. The hotel they were going to put me up in had NO reservaion under my name. Big company x said they had no idea who this company was, and said they never solicited presentations through the phone....

It was only after many phone calls, that I was able to track this company down. I eventually found out one particular resort owned by company x was involved with this sales company, but even they were reluctant to admit their affiliation, and even more reluctant to refund my money. I had previously called this faciliity, and they had denied any affiliation!

Eventually, I was able to get my money back. But the FRAUD department of big company X contacted me, documented my statement, let me know that the main branch of the company did not approve of the affiliation in any way, and that they would most likely be pursuing some sort of legal action, or at least ensuring that the affiliation was terminated.

So don't tell ME that timeshare companies don't engage in decpetive practices. I believe the tactic I encountered is called the "bait and switch," and it is expressly listed in Florida state's websight as ILLEGAL!

yes, i agree, when i was at US/IOA OLCC had a booth, they said attend a presentation and you can choose from these, they said the purpose was to sell a time share, they also asked if i had attended any presentations in the last 6 months because if i had, then they would not offer it, why waste their time and mine, i agreed, but i made the choice to attend their presentation and i loved the resort so i bought, heck i am a woman, i buy buy buy all the time, but a way not to make a sale and not to impress me is to have me show up under false pretenses, you can get a room at the holiday inn through priceline for 35 buck a night and there is not requirement there to attend anything. But everyone is entitled to feel they way they want, but not to pass judgement on others, so yeah, that remake made earlier by someone did tick me off, but you know what, i am so tired of people on the boards who want to argue so, i am done with that particular person.

But hmm something to think about, some of these places offer you 100 bucks to attend, and they say no obligation, so if you go knowing you are not going to buy but you do it for the money then are you still a slime? :banana:

HappyLawyer said:
It really amazes me how rude people are, of course i always attempt to be polite but there are forces that seem to be working against me so here goes
You said, "he has told me exactly what to do..." Anything you are sheepish enough to allude to but not reveal indicates something to be suspicious about. I'm sorry if you consider it "rude," but the folks you're complaining about aren't here to defend themselves, so please permit us to be skeptical about the actual facts of the situation, especially since you're insisting on doling the facts out in little dribs and drabs, as it fits your needs.

Finally, beyond that, I still find it less-than-noble to take advantage of a telephone agent who, now according to your latest information, apparently forgot to mention that there were strings attached to what would otherwise have been an unreasonably one-sided offer.

bicker said:
You said, "he has told me exactly what to do..." Anything you are sheepish enough to allude to but not reveal indicates something to be suspicious about. I'm sorry if you consider it "rude," but the folks you're complaining about aren't here to defend themselves, so please permit us to be skeptical about the actual facts of the situation, especially since you're insisting on doling the facts out in little dribs and drabs, as it fits your needs.

Finally, beyond that, I still find it less-than-noble to take advantage of a telephone agent who, now according to your latest information, apparently forgot to mention that there were strings attached to what would otherwise have been an unreasonably one-sided offer.

again, blah blah blah :love: :love:

you can be negative but i have nothing but love 4 u

bicker said:

seems to me like you are the only one feeling suspicious and skeptical but hey that is your biz,

are you from this planet, how on earth can a person take advantage of a telephone agent, you must be a telemarketer or something like that-huh,
give me a break :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Rather than focusing your energies on wondering where I'm from, why not focus your attention on the topic, as I have been?

bicker said:
Rather than focusing your energies on wondering where I'm from, why not focus your attention on the topic, as I have been?
:love: :love: :love: :love:

Katieeldr says : Um, well, er... that's the point of fine print. Many consumers don't or won't take the time to fully understand the terms of a given offer.
Well....for what it's worth.....I DID take the time (I'm sure you're speaking in general terms here, but I'm defending my research anyway). I didn't need the somewhat snide "um...well....er" addition. I had been a timeshare owner for 5 years when I accepted this offer so I was already a bit more saavy about timeshares. I looked over EVERYTHING. In fact, it really wasn't much to look over. A very easy read and nowhere was it stated I had to take a tour. I copied EVERYTHING that was provided me and sent it to the Attorney General's office. I provided the name and address of my local grocery store. Apparently it was the timeshare promotor's error.......the store was not held liable. So that's my explanation....you can take it or leave it and believe it or not.
Thanks for your post Mickeyluvr....glad you were refunded. If people think ALL timeshare companies are on the up and up, they're looking thru rose colored glasses or something ? Fraud and deceptive sales practices go on all the time in all aspects of life. I understand that, but won't sit back and take it.

but a way not to make a sale and not to impress me is to have me show up under false pretenses
Totally agree HappyLawyer !
Glad you have the option to cancel.

not only that but their attitudes, i went on a tour of summer bay and the person had such an attitude that i was not going to buy, even though i made it clear up front, i went to OLCC and took the tour, i loved it, they were upfront and i decided to buy there, now i was still staying at summer bay and the next day the angry guy from summer bay called to offer me something else, i told him no thank you, i just purchased at OLCC and boy was he livid, all they are concerned about is making their comission, to be honest, i don't think they even care if a person can afford it or not. These are my thoughts

Dh and I have been conditioned to automatically be suspicious of any "too good to be true" offer - ESPECIALLY in the Orlando tourist area. I would think any average rational person would be. There's always a catch to any deeply discounted offer.

We own at Liki Tiki Village and every single time we stay there we are still baited with our choice of gift from a list to sit through a presentation to "upgrade." Now they call it an Owner's Meeting. We got $50 in Disney Dollars (or whatever the flip they call Disney currency these days) for attending our Owner's Meeting. :lmao: We got an amazing deal on our Liki Tiki condo ownership by buying on eBay so in the end it is worth it to us to sacrifice an hour and a half of our time.

My best friend won a 7 day 6 night vacation to Orlando a few years ago. She only had to pay like $100 or $200 to claim her prize. I did my best to tell her about the time share presentation she'd be obligated to sit through. She didn't believe me until they got the call in their studio condo to schedule their "tour" of the property. :rolleyes: I explained to her that it was a great deal and she should take it, but I just wanted her to be prepared with what to expect and plan their time accordingly.

HappyLawyer said:
But hmm something to think about, some of these places offer you 100 bucks to attend, and they say no obligation, so if you go knowing you are not going to buy but you do it for the money then are you still a slime? :banana:
I don't know if it makes someone a slime or not. Timeshare companies use the deeply discounted offers because it is still more cost effective than using traditional advertising methods. I asked a relative who is familiar with the timeshare biz, and he confirmed this for me. Even if one out of 50 customers who feel they were deceived with the offer push the issue and get their money back, they are still coming out better financially. I don't have any statistics to back this up, but most folks aren't tenacious enough to push for and actually keep pushing until they get a refund or whatever they seek to make them "whole" again. So the number is probably less than 1 in 50 and more like 1 out of 100.

Mono-rail says :I would think any average rational person would be.
I can assure you, I am a rational person :rolleyes:
You have to understand, my offer was coming from a grocery store. So I assumed (after speaking to 3 different people and reading the "fine" print so to say) the $200 in groceries I was obligated to buy plus the $99 for the certificate, made my offer legit. So if you want to think I'm something other than the "average rational person", so be it :rotfl:

As always, buyer beware :thumbsup2

And a reminder to keep it friendly folks.

:sunny:

My brother works with someone who always takes advantage of timeshare offers. His advice for getting out of the presentation ASAP: just tell them right off you want to buy. Sign on the dotted line, say thank you, then leave. He then exercises his 3 day right of recision (sp) to cancel the contract. He said he usually calls that same day or the next.

Corwin12 said:
My brother works with someone who always takes advantage of timeshare offers. His advice for getting out of the presentation ASAP: just tell them right off you want to buy. Sign on the dotted line, say thank you, then leave. He then exercises his 3 day right of recision (sp) to cancel the contract. He said he usually calls that same day or the next.
I thought buyers were required to put down a deposit. Any timeshare we've toured mentioned a deposit, and when we do the Owner's Meetings offering us an "upgrade" they give us the deposit amount. I'm curious how your brother's co-worker gets around the deposit. :confused:

A few years ago, my parents bought a timeshare in Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge, and they had to put down a deposit. There was no way they could swing the huge payments. When my mom called me and told me about their purchase, I told her she overpaid by $5-$8K! Long story short, I had to help them get out of the deal, and they lost about $300.

Mono~rail said:
I thought buyers were required to put down a deposit. Any timeshare we've toured mentioned a deposit, and when we do the Owner's Meetings offering us an "upgrade" they give us the deposit amount. I'm curious how your brother's co-worker gets around the deposit. :confused:

A few years ago, my parents bought a timeshare in Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge, and they had to put down a deposit. There was no way they could swing the huge payments. When my mom called me and told me about their purchase, I told her she overpaid by $5-$8K! Long story short, I had to help them get out of the deal, and they lost about $300.

it also amazes me how much a company will drop a price when they want to sell, when i bought at OLCC it was in a new area not even built yet, when i was not sure, or had to think about it, they dropped the price even lower

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter