What is closed in your community....?

I'll bet it pays good though.

Nothing new closure wise here in MS as of today.

I sort of feel like saying closing for 2 weeks is not really accurate. I mean, maybe they just needed a starting point/statement, but we now have 6 cases in CT... I feel like the next 2 weeks is when it will really get going. Closing schools now will hopefully reduce or slow stuff down, but I can’t imagine after 2 weeks saying, “OK everyone, now we go back to school.” as the spread ramps up...
Jimmy,

I was perplexed by "2 week" closures too. My thought was, "What good is 2 weeks going to do?" Here is a public health article and visual that explains the strategy. The goal of the "containment" strategies so far (cruise ships quarantined off shore or passengers held on military bases for 2 weeks) were to delay the spread until resources could be setup (test kits, additional supplies, hospital prep). "Containment" is pretty much over since nearly every state has at least 1 case and the reports are climbing daily.

The goal of the 2 week closure/suspension of large groups of people is to delay and stretch out the rapid increase in new cases. Restricting large groups will prevent mass exposures happening at once. New cases will continue due to community spread during the 2 weeks, but you won't get a huge spike early on. That is what Italy is dealing with now; large number of people getting sick at once, overwhelming healthcare resources.

The image below represents that. This is from the article I referenced above. Without any stoppage of large group gatherings, there will be a rapid expansion of new cases (solid purple below). I drew in the red line, but it represents the capability of the healthcare systems to handle sick people. The 2 week suspension in large gatherings is intended to delay large groups of people becoming sick at the same time and keeping the total sick at one time under the red line. The same number of people may get sick, but not all at the same time (hash mark curve below). Ideally, this 2 week moratorium will keep the volume of sick under the red line and at a manageable rate.

People will get sick from this in large numbers. Some will die (similar populations that die from the flu each year- estimated at 22,000+ just in the US for this years flu, so far).

Remember, COVID-19 is very similar to influenza in how sick it makes people, the types of symptoms (fever, respirator issues) and most people will not need to seek medical attention for their symptoms.

j

Cinci just made an announcement regarding banning gatherings of more than 100 people. As someone that works retail they obviously need to hit all the stores then because everyone I know in retail is swamped. I work Sat-Sun shifts and it's going to be a terrible weekend I just know it.

My exotic pet show I wanted to go to in Columbus March 29th is postponed. No news on my comic convention in April. I'm really hoping for that one because there's an artist there I really wanted to meet and get my comics signed. ;_;

I'm in San Diego. All 42 school districts in the county are closed until at least April 10 or so. Frozen was supposed to be coming to our Broadway theater in a few weeks but it's been canceled. UCSD, SDSU and various other universities are all going online classes.
So far the zoo and Sea World are still open, with only the shows closed. I suppose those are places that aren't really that crowded right now (unusual cold, rainy week for us) and you can keep your 6 ft distance from people just walking around. I would think people will all cancel their spring breaks trip to here and those places will just be locals, so not very crowded if they stay open. The zoo is non-profit so it really needs guests to keep the animals fed.

Jimmy,

I was perplexed by "2 week" closures too. My thought was, "What good is 2 weeks going to do?" Here is a public health article and visual that explains the strategy. The goal of the "containment" strategies so far (cruise ships quarantined off shore or passengers held on military bases for 2 weeks) were to delay the spread until resources could be setup (test kits, additional supplies, hospital prep). "Containment" is pretty much over since nearly every state has at least 1 case and the reports are climbing daily.

The goal of the 2 week closure/suspension of large groups of people is to delay and stretch out the rapid increase in new cases. Restricting large groups will prevent mass exposures happening at once. New cases will continue due to community spread during the 2 weeks, but you won't get a huge spike early on. That is what Italy is dealing with now; large number of people getting sick at once, overwhelming healthcare resources.

The image below represents that. This is from the article I referenced above. Without any stoppage of large group gatherings, there will be a rapid expansion of new cases (solid purple below). I drew in the red line, but it represents the capability of the healthcare systems to handle sick people. The 2 week suspension in large gatherings is intended to delay large groups of people becoming sick at the same time and keeping the total sick at one time under the red line. The same number of people may get sick, but not all at the same time (hash mark curve below). Ideally, this 2 week moratorium will keep the volume of sick under the red line and at a manageable rate.

People will get sick from this in large numbers. Some will die (similar populations that die from the flu each year- estimated at 22,000+ just in the US for this years flu, so far).

Remember, COVID-19 is very similar to influenza in how sick it makes people, the types of symptoms (fever, respirator issues) and most people will not need to seek medical attention for their symptoms.

View attachment 480730

j

It's a very good example of what the cancellations are intended to do. NOT stop the spread, just slow it down to allow more time to get things in place. Not sure what is being told where you work Jim, but at our hospital, especially in the ED where I work we are wondering what the plan is for health care workers who get it, testing positive. The answer obviously is you have to stay home for 14 days?...okay...so who takes care of the patients? It's a slipperly slope on this one. I mean, I know I've worked with fever before lots of times, just took motrin and kept on going. With the flu folks miss 1-3 days of work, but 14 days!? It's not really realistic, but will have to see how this pans out.

When I passed through the area Wednesday evening, there were lots of house parties going on.

Now see, this is handling things properly. This is classic "It's coming, let's embrace it!"

Mississippi had first 3 confirmed cases today from testing obtained 2 days ago.

I think Alabama has closed public schools.

Not sure what is being told where you work Jim, but at our hospital, especially in the ED where I work we are wondering what the plan is for health care workers who get it, testing positive. I know I've worked with fever before lots of times, just took motrin and kept on going.
Michael,

We don't have any staff with symptoms (or disease) yet. We do have a number of staff on 14 day "furlough" because they traveled to one of the hot spots (Seattle, SF Bay area, Westchester Co., NY). Once someone has symptoms, they are out until fever free for 24 hours.

Us nurses are usually our own worst enemies (and patients). Yep, we "soldier through" and go to work anyway. For this, fever/cough/other "flu like" symptoms are getting you sent home until you don't have symptoms.

We have had the hospital command center open since last week. Plans are in place for where to house the COVID patients. (We have cleared one of our ICUs to be used exclusively for these patients). I spent the past 2 days helping get scrubs for clinical staff that will care for the patients (CDC recommendation to not wear the clothes home). We are a national Level 1 Trauma center and a designated disaster center. We keep extra supplies in caches around the system in case the supply chain is disrupted. We also have surge plans to address staffing needs. Plans to cancel elective things to shift those people and space resources. Having 1500 beds and 15,000 staff on campus at any given time has its advantages.

We actually practice for these types of things several times a year. Most leadership has to have FEMA training for incident command and emergency management.

j

Last edited:
Well, PA has closed all schools, k-12, universities. All of our 501st activities have been cancelled, as events are not being held. So just hanging in there and working. DW maybe working remotely, but not confirmed yet. I know where the TP is made here......

All public schools in Illinois closed until 3/30/20.

j

If MS keeps school open and everyone else closes we might can close this education gap.

DW was told to take enough things home to be able to work from home all next week. We'll see.

Road Trip! :moped:

j

Hang on, I'll meet ya and travel together.

There's a Georgia Pacific plant just south of us that makes paper products. We could pirate the place.
giphy-6.gif

Here in Vermont, UVM has gone to online classes, all regular schools K - 12 are still open. The science center, the annual Maple fest and any large gatherings over 250 people have been cancelled.

DW and I just got back from dinner over in NY and as of 5:00 p.m. all restaurants in the state are operating at 50% capacity, staggering seating so no two tables are being occupied right next to each other.

We had planned to go to the Great Escape Lodge and indoor water park in NY next weekend for our anniversary but that closed tonight while at dinner.

FL is closing everything down. All schools/school activities for the next 2 weeks. All theme parks are closing.

Jacksonville is closing the zoo, museums and all venues. Even farmers markets are cancelled. They are also closing down the parks and libraries. They may or may not postpone the primary election, on Tuesday.

Shelves in Clay County are emptying very quickly. No TP, alcohol bottles/wipes, hand sanitizers, hydrogen peroxide, Clorox items (wipes, sprays, etc), disposable gloves in most stores. Some stores have limited tissues, paper towels, cold meds. There are limited aisles of candy, potatochips, canned goods, pastas, even eggs and oj are flying off the shelves. Flours and sugar as well.

DS's school board will decide sometime in the next 2 weeks if they are going to stay closed and go strictly digital or if they will reopen. I'm betting they are closed for at least a few more weeks or a month. They are allowing the SAT tomorrow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter