What is December like?

TexasErin

Loves old Pluto cartoons
DVC Silver
We have a weekend trip booked for 12/15-12/17. We will be staying at VGC. I’ve only been in June to DL, but have been to WDW a few times in December.

Does Disneyland have Christmas parties like at WDW? I would be kinda glad if I could save money and not have to pay additional to be able to maximize hours. I have read that Christmas and NYE are busy. Will the weekend before be any better? We’re coming any way, but would just like realistic expectations. Does it get super cold? Do they stay open late?

TIA!

You will have christmas overlay/decorations but no special ticketed event. It gets pretty cool so bring a jacket. Parks usually open till around midnight that time of year. That weekend will obviously be busy, but much less so than the following weekend.

It was cold at night and busy last Dec 5-9. There were so many rides down, it was very frustrating to the point that we said we were DONE. But we went back this past April and had a completley different experience. I was honestly surprised how busy it was because I thought we would beat the Christmas rush. Night-time shows were pretty magical though.

December is simply AMAZING!! I have an annual trip every year because I enjoy it so much. It began when my children were young and has evolved into a girl's trip with other moms that took their kids as well when young and at home. Sometimes the adult kids are even invited. :)

December can be cold. I come from Utah and always pack multiple layering options. Hours do change a bit, and it will be busy. However, it will always be what you make it. There are so many opportunities to just absorb the holiday spirit it is completely worth it. Prioritize your wants for the trip, and plan around those. You will have an wonderful trip!

December is awesome. Disneyland goes all out for the holidays, unlike WDW.

You will get to see the special holiday parade and fireworks for FREE (no special party ticket required). At the end of the fireworks, it snows, and it's pure magic.

You will get the very best version of It's a Small World that ever was.

You will get holiday foods and drinks ALL OVER the resort, and a festival at DCA.

You will get carolers, Santa, a massive gingerbread house, and a holiday cookie cart in the lobby of the Grand Californian.

You will have amazing weather.

Crowds will be moderate, but not crazy.

Thank you everybody! Now I‘m even more excited!

I know this question is asked all the time, but should I spring for park hoppers? It will be a short trip, but we will be back there again six months after that for a longer trip. We were there June 2022 and have been a few times before that. I’m trying to save money and park tickets are so expensive….I would love to get dream keys since we will be back June 2024, but that looks like it couId be tremendously expensive to get ones that wouldn’t be blocked out. We will pay for Genie+ and any “fancy“ rides as Molly on Mammoth Club calls them. There will be 4 of us.

I know this question is asked all the time, but should I spring for park hoppers? It will be a short trip, but we will be back there again six months after that for a longer trip. We were there June 2022 and have been a few times before that. I’m trying to save money and park tickets are so expensive….I would love to get dream keys since we will be back June 2024, but that looks like it couId be tremendously expensive to get ones that wouldn’t be blocked out. We will pay for Genie+ and any “fancy“ rides as Molly on Mammoth Club calls them. There will be 4 of us.

Yes, get hoppers. Always get hoppers.

If you're trying to save money, you can get away with doing 1 day at each park and be satisfied if you're only doing two days. You'll lose some of the flexibility of being able to jump parks (which is VERY easy at Disneyland), but you'll save a ton of money. Just depends on what your priorities/budget are. The difference between base and PH tickets basically cover your genie+/LLs.

I went as a kid & remember it was amazing but no real details. We are going back from 12/24-1/1 and are very excited. I am expecting it to be very crazy.... but worth it! I have heard that the time you are going will be busy but also not unmanageable either. Just go with a plan and you will be fine.

December is my favorite time to visit. My birthday is early December so I love getting to celebrate my birthday AND see all the holiday stuff. And the weather is usually perfect!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter