What is going on with Disney parks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, glad you think $300 extra every year on tickets is worth it. You aren’t alone.
What a lot of people dont get, its not just an increase on one item every year.

It's on everything, so a couple dollars here or there per day, and for a family of 4, it ends up being (guessing) $4-$500 more EACH year, so over a 5 year period, the cost goes up by 2k. That's quite a bit of a jump.

Say your dinning plan goes up $3 a day.
4 people, so that's $12 a day
7 day trip, that's $84

Park Tickets go up $3 a day
4 people, $12 a day
7 day trip, $84.00

Room Price increase of $10 a night
$70

I think that's being conservative and not accounting for a lot of stuff, and you're already at an extra $238 year to year, or over a 5 year period an extra $1,200.00.

Not to mention the across the board add on of parking per night over the past few years, and you start talking about staggering increased prices for a family of 4 over a 5 year period.

I pulled those numbers out of my butt, by comparison, those numbers are probably pretty darn conservative and dont account for less park time as well.

Our oldest turns 10 next year (how in the world is that possible?), and by then the dining plan for him will be about $80 a day. that just shocking too me......

boy i just rambled.

What a lot of people dont get, its not just an increase on one item every year.

It's on everything, so a couple dollars here or there per day, and for a family of 4, it ends up being (guessing) $4-$500 more EACH year, so over a 5 year period, the cost goes up by 2k. That's quite a bit of a jump.

Say your dinning plan goes up $3 a day.
4 people, so that's $12 a day
7 day trip, that's $84

Park Tickets go up $3 a day
4 people, $12 a day
7 day trip, $84.00

Room Price increase of $10 a night
$70

I think that's being conservative and not accounting for a lot of stuff, and you're already at an extra $238 year to year, or over a 5 year period an extra $1,200.00.

Not to mention the across the board add on of parking per night over the past few years, and you start talking about staggering increased prices for a family of 4 over a 5 year period.

I pulled those numbers out of my butt, by comparison, those numbers are probably pretty darn conservative and dont account for less park time as well.

Our oldest turns 10 next year (how in the world is that possible?), and by then the dining plan for him will be about $80 a day. that just shocking too me......

boy i just rambled.

Yeah, but Tron is coming.......

Yeah, $300 increase in 7 years or so on the DVC passes. So every year you come, you are paying $300 more on just the tickets. And as you point out, everything has gone up. Food, probably 25% in that timeframe? That probably works out to about $25 per day. If you travel to the parks 5 days from your DVC, you are paying $425 more per person per trip. Family of 4 thats $1700 more in just 7 years time.......And you've already prepaid for 50 years and still you are seeing such a large increase. Not even the people who hedged are safe......

But, we did get a Nemo retheme at EPCOT......

ETA: if you strongly believe that resale will double, Id have my entire retirement locked up in it. Why not? 100% return in just 5 years? That’s a no brainer.....

Well I didn't say if you bought today it would double. If you scroll up I said "nobody knows".

I do strongly believe room rates will double in the next 5 years, so why would I lock up in to that?

But I did say the resales bought about 5 years ago have doubled-so yes it was a no brainer.

I also said I would still buy today if I didn't have any DVC, because with all of the new attractions/lands we will be going each year.

Rooms on cash are more expensive than for example a BWV resale, even a triple of 5 years ago

I just don't have to because I'm in that boat.

Yeah, but Tron is coming.......

Yeah, $300 increase in 7 years or so on the DVC passes. So every year you come, you are paying $300 more on just the tickets. And as you point out, everything has gone up. Food, probably 25% in that timeframe? That probably works out to about $25 per day. If you travel to the parks 5 days from your DVC, you are paying $425 more per person per trip. Family of 4 thats $1700 more in just 7 years time.......And you've already prepaid for 50 years and still you are seeing such a large increase. Not even the people who hedged are safe......

But, we did get a Nemo retheme at EPCOT......

Don't forget to add regular passes (non DVC) went up even higher than DVC passes.

And everyone had to pay more for food (unless you cook in DVC).

The difference is in lodging. Those rooms have gone up far more than dues. And nothing to sell even if they wanted to.

I was curious as to what the price for food 5 years ago was, it was around $60 a day.

i believe its $78 a day now, so that's an average of $3.60 per person a day per year increase

5 years from now, if the avarges continue, the adult meal plan will be $93 a day.

My family of 4 will all be over 10 by then, so the sticker price for table service for 4 for 7 days would be $2600 before tips. That's just food. Nothing Else. I just can't come to grips with spending nearly $375 a day on food alone. Thats insanity.

I was curious as to what the price for food 5 years ago was, it was around $60 a day.

i believe its $78 a day now, so that's an average of $3.60 per person a day per year increase

5 years from now, if the avarges continue, the adult meal plan will be $93 a day.

My family of 4 will all be over 10 by then, so the sticker price for table service for 4 for 7 days would be $2600 before tips. That's just food. Nothing Else. I just can't come to grips with spending nearly $375 a day on food alone. Thats insanity.
I believe though different plans have increased at different rates. I also know that they've decreased the plans before.

And in all honesty you don't have to come to grips with spending nearly $375 a day on food alone...you aren't actually do that. You're paying that for a meal plan which is not indicative of the actual food expenditures one could have.

If you don't feel comfortable spending a future estimated $375 a day on the meal plan you can always ditch the meal plan and pay for it all OOP. That frees up for a lot of flexibility in the costs not only from where you can eat, but what you eat and drink, sharing meals (not necessarily as a cost savings but also on an appetite level), etc.

The meal plans are priced in normally a not guest friendly way unless you eat exactly to a T the way it is set up.

And in all honesty you don't have to come to grips with spending nearly $375 a day on food alone...you aren't actually do that. You're paying that for a meal plan which is not indicative of the actual food expenditures one could have.
i mean if that's how much the dining plan costs, then yes you are spending $375 a day on food.
If you don't feel comfortable spending a future estimated $375 a day on the meal plan you can always ditch the meal plan and pay for it all OOP. That frees up for a lot of flexibility in the costs not only from where you can eat, but what you eat and drink, sharing meals (not necessarily as a cost savings but also on an appetite level), etc.
Ive crunched the numbers so many times on the DDP, at the places where we like to eat, like Ohana and Tutto, by the time you pay OOP, its almost break even.

Eating out is part of our vacations, im not cheap when it comes to doing that, but nearly $400 a day for the food you get at those places, yeah...that's a lot.

i mean if that's how much the dining plan costs, then yes you are spending $375 a day on food.

Ive crunched the numbers so many times on the DDP, at the places where we like to eat, like Ohana and Tutto, by the time you pay OOP, its almost break even.

Eating out is part of our vacations, im not cheap when it comes to doing that, but nearly $400 a day for the food you get at those places, yeah...that's a lot.

Honestly, I would find new places to eat and go at a different time. Magical Dining Month could be a way for you to still eat well without feeling like your pocket is getting completely picked. And it's even moved into some Disney Springs places, as well as Swan and Dolphin.

Failing that, I'd see if you can engender a love of cooking or baking in any of your family:). Mine are such foodies now (one got a 1950's retro cookbook and literally scratch made me French bread by hand every day after Xmas), they don't want to waste my money on crap food. So, we eat well when we got out, and we eat well when we dine in...and we dine in way more than we eat out (thanks to my dairy allergy and my own love of cooking - I normally get better meals made by me, and feel better b/c I don't cross-contaminate or screw up my own food ever)...but when we eat out, I do pick a nice place, and the kids all order what they want...and are very happy with the memories:). Just like they loved the memory of my dairy free french toast with fried apple topping (no syrup or extra stuff needed) on a vacation last year. I threw it together the 2nd to last day of my trip to a theme park last year - who knew that something so simple would have them asking for it more...I mean, some ginger, vanilla, apples, honey, and plant-based butter and you get a magical topping for a simple almond milk egg custard:)...and it took no time at all to feed 6 til they didn't want anymore (and I happily practically ran out of stuff:)...

PS - Now that's not saying they don't love to get a BK Whopper or a Domino's pizza (for them) every now and then...b/c they don't want crap food that costs a lot...but they are happy to "splurge" on cheap fast food on a vacation b/c I also don't get that very often, especially the pizza, b/c I can't eat it (even the dairy-free ones always cross-contaminate)...so they'll get pizza and I'll get a big mac no cheese and we'll all savor the cheap "junk" night after a day of usually healthier eating:)...

Food has been one of our first cuts. We haven’t cut the resorts we like yet thanks to point rentals. We obviously can’t do much about ticket cost. But dang those restaurants are hard to justify. We have TIW right now so that helps, but we have cut some restaurants that have been go to’s for our family since the early 90’s. When we no longer have a discount on future trips (and have more Disney adults) we’ll be cutting even more.

For reference, we are a family for whom the DDP actually did save money in the past, because with or without it we chose to eat at the most expensive 1 credit options. We’ve hit our wall.

Glad there are lots of good QS options.

You're not though. You're spending that on what Disney is charging for a meal plan that entitles you to meal credits. Each meal credit then comes with certain things.

OK..but what I was saying is that the Dining Plan is restrictive no matter what way you put it; for some people the restrictiveness just isn't an issue. You don't have to be cheap to save money. That's IDK not a nice way of looking at it really.

You're still not spending the money on food you're spending the money on what the Meal Plan costs.

The meal plan dictates where you can eat, how many credits one will need and also includes these days alcoholic beverages, and if you order to maximize (if that's what a person wants to do) there are places deemed better usages of your credits, etc. You don't have to spend the money on the Dining Plan that Disney decides will cost X amount. That may be what you end up doing anyways because it's what you're comfortable with.

I agree that food costs will generally rise and it can veer off into the o_O territory at times. That may have been your main point but I was bouncing on your rough estimate and where that figure was coming from for my comments.

Nothing in the theme park world costs the same as 5 or 10years ago. Disney moving up prices higher than inflation is not just a Disney thing. I love Universal but the Wizarding world has basically doubled the cost to go to Universal/IOA. Butterbeer and wands are double the opening day price. The cost to stay at Cabana Bay over Easter is $250/night. Universal's in park dining options are not good but have increased in price. I looked at staying at Lego Land in a themed room and couldn't justify it bc I would rather spend the money at Univ or Dis.

I get that things are more expensive but people are paying. Until they stop or demand is cut prices will continue to outstrip inflation.

You're not though. You're spending that on what Disney is charging for a meal plan that entitles you to meal credits. Each meal credit then comes with certain things.

OK..but what I was saying is that the Dining Plan is restrictive no matter what way you put it; for some people the restrictiveness just isn't an issue. You don't have to be cheap to save money. That's IDK not a nice way of looking at it really.

You're still not spending the money on food you're spending the money on what the Meal Plan costs.
I get what you’re saying, when I make the payment it’s not going to a certain restaurant, but what I pay for can only be used to purchase food.

it’s like going to an arcade that takes tokens instead of quarters, technically I’m paying the vending machine that exchanges my quarters for tokens, but I’m still paying to play the games.

I can also just opt for cheaper dining, but that’s not what we want to do. I’m willing to pay more if it’s worth it, I’m not if price increases exponentially while the food I’m paying stays the same or decreases in value.

what I pay for can only be used to purchase food.
I mean ya I get why you see it that way :) but you are literally buying the Disney Dining Plan (QS, Regular or Deluxe) sooo I mean that goes without saying it's going to be used to purchase things you eat and as of a year or two ago (can't exactly remember) alcoholic beverages. That doesn't negate that you're not spending it on food in the traditional sense. You're spending the money on whatever Disney has decided they will price their plan out to be which is irrespective of the costs of what each item on the menu costs. Their pricing structure isn't meant to save money for most people. Disney doesn't care whether you actually order what the plan comes with as they've gotten your money when you initially purchased the plan. That's why I said you're spending the money towards credits; it's up to you to decide if you're going to use all the credits and how you'll use the credits.

I can also just opt for cheaper dining, but that’s not what we want to do. I’m willing to pay more if it’s worth it, I’m not if price increases exponentially while the food I’m paying stays the same or decreases in value.
I personally don't associate lower costs to equal lower quality anymore than I associate higher costs to equal higher quality but I know some people do.

I mean ya I get why you see it that way :) but you are literally buying the Disney Dining Plan (QS, Regular or Deluxe) sooo I mean that goes without saying it's going to be used to purchase things you eat and as of a year or two ago (can't exactly remember) alcoholic beverages. That doesn't negate that you're not spending it on food in the traditional sense. You're spending the money on whatever Disney has decided they will price their plan out to be which is irrespective of the costs of what each item on the menu costs. Their pricing structure isn't meant to save money for most people. Disney doesn't care whether you actually order what the plan comes with as they've gotten your money when you initially purchased the plan. That's why I said you're spending the money towards credits; it's up to you to decide if you're going to use all the credits and how you'll use the credits.

I personally don't associate lower costs to equal lower quality anymore than I associate higher costs to equal higher quality but I know some people do.

I do not understand how anyone who has history with the parks cannot see the price increases and the effect they have?

5 years ago, I stayed at the POLY family of 4 , deluxe dining, 6 day ticket.

Priced a similar trip this year, same amenities, almost 8000.00

That’s double folks. Closest I could get in a similar price range was at a moderate resort (POR) without dining, 3800.00.

I do not understand how anyone who has history with the parks cannot see the price increases and the effect they have?

5 years ago, I stayed at the POLY family of 4 , deluxe dining, 6 day ticket.

Priced a similar trip this year, same amenities, almost 8000.00

That’s double folks. Closest I could get in a similar price range was at a moderate resort (POR) without dining, 3800.00.

Is that an apples to apples comparison or did your children age into the adult plan and tickets? The deluxe dining plan hasn’t actually increased that much for adults in 5 years and neither have tickets, depending on when you go, but going from child to adult is a huge increase but it would have been in 2015 as well.

I consistently stay at value resorts and only get free dining and the cost of my trip has not come even close to doubling in five years and that’s including the fact that you now need to add park hopping for the free dining. Feel free to correct me on that since I’m not sure when they added that, I think it was 2018?

Last edited:
Is that an apples to apples comparison or did your children age into the adult plan and tickets? The deluxe dining plan hasn’t actually increased that much for adults in 5 years and neither have tickets, depending on when you go, but going from child to adult is a huge increase but it would have been in 2015 as well.

I consistently stay at value resorts and only get free dining and the cost of my trip has not come even close to doubling in five years and that’s including the fact that you now need to add park hopping for the free dining. Feel free to correct me on that since I’m not sure when they added that, I think it was 2018?

Well, with the advent of variable pricing, ummm, some of the tickets have increased like that in 5 years...say, if you liked Christmas week before...

If you are getting free dining, you are likely going on the very limited value times...which make up, for this year, I think 4 total weeks for free dining...

EDIT: For the record: 2 adult and 2 child park hopper plus 6 day tickets for Xmas week comes to $2989.18 right now for Dec 2020 on Disney's website.
In Feb 2015 - those same tickets would be $1620 + tax, so about $1700 for 2 adults and 2 kids with 6 day park hoppers with water park fun and more...https://www.saveatwdw.com/blog/2015/2/23/walt-disney-world-ticket-prices-2015

And this is the post price increase cost...if you bought a day earlier than Feb 22, 2015, they were cheaper:)...

Last edited:
Well, with the advent of variable pricing, ummm, some of the tickets have increased like that in 5 years...say, if you liked Christmas week before...

If you are getting free dining, you are likely going on the very limited value times...which make up, for this year, I think 4 total weeks for free dining...

EDIT: For the record: 2 adult and 2 child park hopper plus 6 day tickets for Xmas week comes to $2989.18 right now for Dec 2020 on Disney's website.
In Feb 2015 - those same tickets would be $1620 + tax, so about $1700 for 2 adults and 2 kids with 6 day park hoppers with water park fun and more...https://www.saveatwdw.com/blog/2015/2/23/walt-disney-world-ticket-prices-2015

And this is the post price increase cost...if you bought a day earlier than Feb 22, 2015, they were cheaper:)...

Except the poster is clearly not going during Christmas because hotel rates have always been insane that week. If I’m taking deluxe dining which was still at least $1200 for 2 adults in 2015 and park tickets which would be $1300, that means the poster stayed at the Poly for $2000 or $400 a night which was not happening even in 2015.

Edited; https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/walt-disney-world-resort-ticket-prices-2012/

Given the Polynesian was at least $405 a night in 2012 without tax, I can’t make out how a trip in 2015 could only be $4500 unless one or both the children were under age limits. Which, again, makes it not an apples to apples comparison.

Last edited:
Reactions: mvk
Given the Polynesian was at least $405 a night in 2012 without tax,
The deals were out there for the Poly back then. You just had to know where to look. We stayed at the Poly for the first time in 2016 for about $300 a night, that included taxes. It might have even been under $300 per night. I have to check. Sadly the great Poly deals seem like a thing of the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter