What is the mix of Disney / non-Disney Guests?

Coral Reef Diver

Diving The Magic
I'm guessing that the typical crowd is made up mostly of Disney hotel guests. There are just so many Disney hotels at every price range. Am I correct?

Hmmm interesting Q. At what time of year ? For special event times/parties etc? Off/values season ( is there even an off season any more) I'm curious...

someone will answer here .. if answer is know. I'm sure disney wants that number High, lol

Think about how big the ttc parking lot is. That's how mang non resort guests are there roughly. I'd say it's close to 50/50

I have no facts on this but I have read here and many other places that offsite guests make up a larger portion of park goers then onsite.

I know until my last trip I had gone at least 10 times and that was the first onsite trip.

Well, I had been thinking generally, without a particular season in mind. But I was considering theme park admission rather than special events or parties.

I'm guessing that the typical crowd is made up mostly of Disney hotel guests. There are just so many Disney hotels at every price range. Am I correct?
No, most are not.

Disney has 25K guest accomodations. If you figure 3 per room, that's 75K a day. The Magic Kingdom averages 50K visitors a day by itself. You still have 3 other theme parks and 2 waterparks to go.

I would guess only 20 percent of the crowd are hotel guests.

I wouldn't have guessed it. Thanks.
Think of how expensive the Disney resorts are. Even the values, which are basically Disneyfied motels, are well over $100 per night. A lot of people can't afford (or don't want) to pay Disney resort prices, & stay in other hotels/motels/rental homes in Orlando instead of onsite. And there are always day-trippers, too.

If you've ever done evening EMH at Magic Kingdom, & experienced the abrupt drop in line waits after it begins, that gives a good sense for the fact that WDW resort guests are in the minority.

Last edited:
All around Disney, there are entire communities of rental houses, plus tons of hotels. I would say there are a LOT more rooms outside of Disney property than there are on property. I'm going to agree with the posters who have suggested that perhaps 20% to 30% of park guests are staying on site. Just look at the size of the parking lot at TTC, then consider that there are lots at EPCOT, AK, DHS, both water parks, and Disney Springs, which are mostly used by offsite guests.

Think of how expensive the Disney resorts are. Even the values are well over $100 per night. A lot of people can't afford (or don't want) to pay that, & stay in other hotels/motels in Orlando instead of onsite. And there are always day-trippers, too.

Exactly why I never stay on site. The value resorts are so over priced.

I can pay Disney say $140 a night for a value resort, or I can stay at an equivalent 3 star hotel off site for say $50 a night. Or take that $140 a night and stay at a 4 or 4.5 star off site.

Not to mention there's way more off site hotels vs Disney hotels, and then you have people that stay at universal hotels who come to Disney

I can pay Disney say $140 a night for a value resort, or I can stay at an equivalent 3 star hotel off site for say $50 a night. Or take that $140 a night and stay at a 4 or 4.5 star off site.

I would love to know where you're finding a 3 star for $50 with a value at $140. The cheapest I can find for our dates (8/23-9/2 if you want to comparison shop) is $77 a night (54 base+7 tax + 16 resort fee). Our value room for the split say portion is only $129 per night. That doesn't count that additional $14 A day in parking fees.

Stacy

I would love to know where you're finding a 3 star for $50 with a value at $140. The cheapest I can find for our dates (8/23-9/2 if you want to comparison shop) is $77 a night (54 base+7 tax + 16 resort fee). Our value room for the split say portion is only $129 per night. That doesn't count that additional $14 A day in parking fees.

Stacy

I usually book about 2-3 weeks out, check every hotel site (priceline, hotels, trivago, kayak), and frequently go with the deals like Priceline express where you book the price before knowing the hotel. I usually book a 3 or 3.5 star with free parking and free Wi-Fi (make sure to filter those selections) and my price range is usually max of $60 a night but try to get around $40-$50

Stacy

I'm now a local but when I had to book rooms I would use sites like Hotwire often and as I was doing 12 or more trips a year you get to know exactly what hotel you would get based on all the amenities,so even though they don't tell you the name until you book I was 99% certain what hotel it would be.Deals like $240 hotels for $80,$160 for $55 were common,sometimes if you used the app instead of the website the prices would be even cheaper.With as many trips as I would do sometimes I just wanted the cheapest hotel that I knew was good,and like I said since I used the site so often you knew exactly what hotel it would be based on location,stars and amenities.I probably stayed at this one hotel dozens of time for $32-$48 based on how busy the season was.That particular hotel booked for next week is $97 on their website and $80 on hotels.com,on Hotwire its $44 ,it has a free hot breakfast,clean and a nice place overall,every time I stayed there I was satisfied.That's the thing about Orlando and hotels,with the abundance of offsite hotels the prices are usually kept in check,making it easier to get a decent place for a low price.In other cities a $50 is almost assured to be a dump,even getting it on hotwire.

Do you have good experiences with only a 30-day jump on FPs? That and parking are the things I worry most about when considering off site stays. I always go on site for those, mostly the FP+ window.

Matt

It may be even lower than 20% because the big families I know who go never stay on property whereas plenty solo travelers do stay on property.

Also, think of the day trippers. I realize that it isn't as much of local park as DL, but as kids we day tripped to the "local" theme park three hours away. I'd imagine that a two to three hour radius would cover a lot of floridians.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter