What is the Origin of Your DIS Screen Name?

HydroGuy

A Pirate's Life For Me
I remember an interesting thread on Tour Guide Mike's site a few years ago where forum members explained their screen name. I decided to start one here for fun. :)

So I will go first. I did not put a lot of thought into my screen name. Back in 2005 I was doing research for a DLR summer trip and was trying to find out when Space Mtn would re-open after a multi-year refurb in order to choose dates. (We ended up going August 1 about two weeks after SM re-opened.) I started on another Disney forum which has since folded. I think DIS was the fifth forum I joined and now is where I spend most of my forum time. :goodvibes

Anyways, I am a mechanical engineer and have worked the last 24 years in fluid dynamics and thermodynamics. The last 16 years I have worked in a small business that develops simulation software flor fluid flow. Off the cuff one day I wanted to stop lurking and so chose HydroGuy to kind of represent my fluid flow and hydrodynamics profession. I never realized I would use the moniker so much!

Since that time my small company has taken on both DLR and WDW as customers. Our software is used at DLR in compressed air supply and gained interest with them after the air/pneumatic braking accident on California Screamin' in 2005.

We have been working with WDW longer. They used our software the last couple years on the new Contemporary hotel expansion on the chilled water supply for the air conditioning system.

I am curious about the origin of many of your names including:

DLR29
DangerMouse (I think I know that one but maybe not)
LavendarPeach
BlackJackDelta
Hound 109
S.S. Columbia (why that and not something else? - and I remember you on TGM - "Liberty Belle"? - you have something for ships)

I have to say our excellent moderators could have chosen more creative names: ;)

Mary Jo
Sherry E
Judy from Boise

Hi, hydroguy,

I mentioned your trip report to Tokyo Disney to my husband (without telling him your screen name) and that you were also from Colorado (I saw that you had Woodland Park up at one time). My husband said, "he must work for this software company that our company sometimes uses." He's also a mechanical engineer (for CH2MHill). Then your screen name made sense to me!

Mine is pretty easy. A few people called me liesel in high school (from the sound of music-pretty similar to Lisa).

I mentioned your trip report to Tokyo Disney to my husband (without telling him your screen name) and that you were also from Colorado (I saw that you had Woodland Park up at one time). My husband said, "he must work for this software company that our company sometimes uses." He's also a mechanical engineer (for CH2MHill). Then your screen name made sense to me!
Yep, that is us! He must work at the CH2M-Hill world headquarters in Denver. They use our software more than sometimes - unless you count 30+ offices around the world sometimes! :cool2:

Hi Hydroguy,

My name originates from our original 2 greyhounds (Belle, who has since died, and Dozer (short for Bulldozer), our 9 yr old male greyhound). Thought it was a nice idea to honor Belles memory, as she was a much loved member of our family. We have since adopted 2 more hounds since Belle, and so her legacy of love continues.

Wow Hydro, cool place to work! You hiring? LOL ;) Seriously, how neat is that!?
Mine is easy, pixiewings after the pixies and 71 is the year I was born. :) Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy. :)

Yep, that is us! He must work at the CH2M-Hill world headquarters in Denver. They use our software more than sometimes - unless you count 30+ offices around the world sometimes! :cool2:

Yes, he works in Denver. I think I threw in the "sometimes." I have to say, he was very positive about the software. I just thought it was funny that he knew where you worked just based on my reading some of your Tokyo Disney trip report to him!

This is such a cool thread!!
My name is Wendy and when I was born, my grandpa called me WendyPooh and it has been my nickname ever since. When I signed up on the DIS, the sceenname was already taken so I added my favorite number '22' and I became wendypooh22.

Wow Hydro, cool place to work! You hiring? LOL ;) Seriously, how neat is that!?
Mine is easy, pixiewings after the pixies and 71 is the year I was born. :) Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy. :)

I feel so honored to make the "interested" list. :lmao:

Truth is, mine is very similar to pixiewings.

DLR-Ummm....
29 is my birthyear backwards ('92).

I use the 29 a lot (my first email, forums, passwords, etc.) Oops, I probably shouldn't have said passwords. You better not spam me with your hydrodynamics stuff...:rotfl:

I feel so honored to make the "interested" list. :lmao:

Truth is, mine is very similar to pixiewings.

DLR-Ummm....
29 is my birthyear backwards ('92).

I use the 29 a lot (my first email, forums, passwords, etc.) Oops, I probably shouldn't have said passwords. You better not spam me with your hydrodynamics stuff...:rotfl:
I figured 29 was not your birth year or you would be the oldest high schooler in the country! Didn't think about 92 though!

I am sure they have courses on hydrodynamics at USC. Way more interesting than business school. ;)

I have to say our excellent moderators could have chosen more creative names: ;)

Mary Jo
Sherry E
Judy from Boise

Wow, I am having some crazy problems with using the 'Quote' feature today to reply - probably my ancient computer!!

Anyway, HydroGuy -:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: Your comment was hilarious! So true!! I suppose my screen name would be more creative if my real name were, let's say, Janet or Roberta or something. But seeing as that's my name, there's not much to question!

However, I will tell you what I was going to use as a screen name - and the formula for how I got it, so that, perhaps, some of our DIS-ers can try the same thing. One name I use for a lot of things like email accounts (and was originally going to use it here on the DIS) is "Mousesausage." I got that name from the River Belle Terrace when I went in for breakfast one day back in the '90s and ordered whatever it was - maybe the Mark Twain (can't recall). Anyway, the way their system coded my meal on the receipt was "Mouse sausage." That stuck with me because it was such an odd little phrase, so I have used it ever since. You can imagine the endless giggles I get when I have to give my email address to someone on the phone and I say "Mousesausage." It is the gift that keeps on giving, all thanks to the River Belle Terrace!!

Anyway, after that time eating at the RBT and noticing the way they coded things on their receipts, I began to look at ALL my Disney-related receipts, whether they were from DLR or the Disney Store or wherever, and for a while, they were using that 'two word code' thing for a lot of different items. One code on a receipt I bought for an item at the Disney Store was "Christmas Beast." Another one for an item I ordered from the old Disney Catalogue was "Tumbling Tigger." I told my friend about it and she started noticing the ever-present two-word codes on Disney receipts too, and she used some for her various accounts.

So everyone check your receipts from any Disney-related business. There may be the ideal password or e-mail address just waiting for you (although I think they don't use the two-word code thing as much anymore, but it can't hurt to check!).

Mine is ... I don't even think I remember anymore. Naw, I do. It's a combination od Disney, my cat, and Twilight.

Belle = Belle from Beauty and the Beast, who is my second favorite Princess.
Ella = my cat, short for Cinderella, who is my third favorite Princess.

And if you mush them together and toss out a few extra letters, you get Bella, from Twilight.

I first started coming to these boards about 3 years ago, referenced by the Unofficial guide. Because I was going to about 4 other disney related boards I'd get them confused so I just started using Jayne, a name I used for other boards and internet purposes. Had no idea I'd be living on here...
It's really just my homage to the late great Jayne Mansfield who I have always adored:

Jayne.jpg

Jayne_Jayne_Marie_5_11_57.jpg

Mine comes from my favorite TV show- Mystery Science Theater 3000. MST3K was the show that made fun of really bad movies. One of the worst was Manos the Hands of Fate. Torgo is the hilarious, not scary, evil henchman from Manos.

When I joined VMK I tried to use Torgo as my name but it was refused so I stuck DL in front and they accepted that. Voila- DLtorgo was born and I have been using it since.

here is more info on Manos and it's horrible incompetence as a movie-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manos:_The_Hands_of_Fate

What a fun topic!

Well, I'm not sure my screen name has any great story but here it goes since you're curious. :) I used to play Animal Crossing - was that on gamecube? I can't even remember now. Anyway, I named my character Lavender. Not sure why. I guess i just thought it was nice. DH and i also have sort of a joke about the name Violet because it sounds like Violent so I guess Lavender, being a similar color, sort of came from that in a weird way.

And then Peach is the princess from the mario games. Wow, typing this out it sounds like I'm a video game fanatic or something but I'm really not at all. DH is though so i guess I've been heavily influenced. :rotfl2:

And so when we were thinking up baby names before DS was born we joked that if it was a girl we would name her Lavender Peach. Well, I was joking. Not sure about DH since he still claims he was totally serious about that for a girl's name. lol

Cute thread!

Mine is from an old Doctor Who companion from the earlier years of the show - I am a huge Doctor Who fan and my picture is K-9 the dog, also from the same series. Peri was an "american" (played by a British person) companion with a terrible American accent - lol. But we love her.

I figured 29 was not your birth year or you would be the oldest high schooler in the country! Didn't think about 92 though!

I am sure they have courses on hydrodynamics at USC. Way more interesting than business school. ;)

Psh, please....In a few years, when I have my own business (and/or I own Disney :goodvibes ), I'll call up your company for all of my hydrodynamic needs. See business people don't have to know how those kind of things work, they just need to know people who do :rotfl2:

Ok, this quote thing is messed up. I can't move the curser to the end of the quote. Anyway, Sis, considering your son is named after a video game character, I'm sure he wasn't kidding about the name if it was a girl! :rotfl2:

My screen name came because I like budgies (mistakenly commonly called "parakeets"). And I like pink. I'm the only female in the house and I noticed the older my boys get, the more pink I need to balance it out! :lovestruc So I took a pic of my blue budgie, Anakin, and colored it pink.

What a fun topic!

Well, I'm not sure my screen name has any great story but here it goes since you're curious. :) I used to play Animal Crossing - was that on gamecube? I can't even remember now. Anyway, I named my character Lavender. Not sure why. I guess i just thought it was nice. DH and i also have sort of a joke about the name Violet because it sounds like Violent so I guess Lavender, being a similar color, sort of came from that in a weird way.

And then Peach is the princess from the mario games. Wow, typing this out it sounds like I'm a video game fanatic or something but I'm really not at all. DH is though so i guess I've been heavily influenced. :rotfl2:

And so when we were thinking up baby names before DS was born we joked that if it was a girl we would name her Lavender Peach. Well, I was joking. Not sure about DH since he still claims he was totally serious about that for a girl's name. lol

Ok, this quote thing is messed up. I can't move the curser to the end of the quote. Anyway, Sis, considering your son is named after a video game character, I'm sure he wasn't kidding about the name if it was a girl! :rotfl2:

My screen name came because I like budgies (mistakenly commonly called "parakeets"). And I like pink. I'm the only female in the house and I noticed the older my boys get, the more pink I need to balance it out! :lovestruc So I took a pic of my blue budgie, Anakin, and colored it pink.

Okay, so I'm not the only one having a little trouble with posting here. I couldn't move my curser either except with the arrow keys.

DS isn't really named after a video game character. DH just likes to think that DS is named after a video game character so I let him pretend. :rotfl: Actually, DH also thought the name Zelda for a girl would be nice. :rolleyes: Can you see a pattern here? My whole life seems to revolve around video games! :scared1:

I love this thread. It's fun learning about everybody on these boards.

Years ago when we got our first computer I was sitting there trying to figure out a good name for myself and my husband said, "Oh, just say what you are! BONOFREAK!!!!!!" I love music, and concerts and U2 is my favorite band and well, Bono IS the man of my dreams!!! :lovestruc :love:

And Pinkbudgie, I love pink, too. I always say if the world were pink, I'd be happy! :cloud9:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter