What is the quickest time from when you decided

About 18 hours. One Thursday night we were deciding what to do for the weekend. DH suggested going to Boston. We checked the flights, fares were reasonable, and we reserved tickets for the following afternoon.

Maybe this one doesn't count because we were already on vacation. We were in Houston and wanted to visit Dallas for a few days. We were going to start driving there in a few hours, but looked into flying, saw cheap Southwest flights, and were in the air in a few hours.

wouldnt it be cool to be spur of the moment person (I wanna be like that)
Idk, on some level yes, but I think It'd make me too anxious. Maybe if it was just me and I didn't have to pack and plan for everyone plus get the pets handled.

One year when we went to Florida, I made all the arrangements on Tuesday evening and we were in FL on Sunday for lunch. Then there was the time DH was going to Colorado for a week, and I was supposed to stay at home. Things changed at work and I had free time, so I packed a bag in about 15 minutes and instead of dropping him at the airport, we parked the car and I went to CO, too. It cost me a pretty penny, and I called my boss from Denver the next morning to say I wasn't coming in for a week (she was not happy... but it worked out OK), but you know what? I knew at the time it was irresponsible, but to this day I don't regret it a bit!

We once pulled together flights and hotel to WDW (had APs so no tickets needed) on 3 days notice for our family of four. Going from Detroit.

I don't recall exactly why, but somehow we had flight vouchers and realized they were about to expire and the airline had empty seats so let us use them, and DH was able to move vacation days and make a long weekend.
That was a long time ago----we flew down for the passholder preview of Mission Space as it was opening :D

It is normally too cost prohibitive to book last minute flights. (if you'll **** ships we did book a last minute bargain rate cruise 4 days before sailing and drove to port---that was maybe 6 years ago? DH had already scheduled the week off and the kids were out of school that week---we just chnaged our plans for a more expesnive and less interesting land trip to the cruise).

I've pulled several day of trips together...well, on the day of, but they were all short domestic flight kinda things. I've also pushed up trips by a day and grabbed an after work flight. I've never run to Paris or something on a lark (I wish!). I am NOT a long time planner though. Planning a full week WDW vacation on just a couple of weeks notice with 2 small kids, needing outfits for MNSSHP, arranging for neat reveals with hotel staff assistance, dining, fast passes, was no problem. I don't know where I want to go on vacation next year, and my life has been far too unpredictable for that to be practical. I'm due for some boring years though, so may change my mind.

Do funerals count? I didn't think so.

Well, last year we neglected to make plans for spring break and were regretting it. A co-worker of my husband's offered his condo in Aspen, so we booked flights and reserved a rental car, and left 3-4 days later. I had to dig deep in the closet and borrow from friends all the cold-weather clothing that I could because we live in Florida. We stopped by Wal-mart on the way to the airport to pick up some long pants for my son because he is a 365-days-a-year shorts kid and didn't own any.

Spring break is coming up again soon and we have once again put off making plans, we we may be doing something similar this year.

Depending on the destination....

Sunday morning.... Wow look at the air-fare to NYC ( air fare alert).... 200.00 RT for each of us... check out the hotel rates... Yep that's do-able... book it... Friday morning... Uber to airport - 10:00 am- boarding - 10:45 take off.... up up and way...

Paris - 8 months of non-stop planning....

I've left within the hour. It doesn't happen frequently and taking my time is more my style, but I have done a quick decision trip or two with almost zero lead time.

We decide to go to WDW on Jan 2 and arrived on Jan 4. 20 years or so ago.

USAir used to offer super cheap Friday night fares, posted on Wednesday mornings. Never knew where they might be to, but when we were more footloose, we used to grab those pretty regularly - awesome way to have a fun unplanned weekend.

We've done several trips thanks to Frontier's last-minute sales.The shortest time was when we decided the Friday before Thanksgiving that we were going to go to Orlando. We flew out Monday morning. Driving, I've decided to go, packed for myself and the kids, and been on the road to Florida in less than 2 hours.

The pet problem....yeah, that's why current pooch will be our last. So we can just drop things and go.

Aside from what I already posted, last January (2018) we were at WDW for a 5 night trip (we drove from NC). And the last full day, after hearing about snow being probable for the drive north the next day, we jumped on Disney website and extended 2 more nights with a cash booking at the very last room available (CSR...it was race weekend after New Year's). Was not cheap but fun to just say...what the heck let's stay longer. My DDs mention it all the time (how cool it was to stay longer).

We booked a cruise on a Saturday about noon. we arranged boarding for our pets, packd and were on the road by 5pm. We drove from Detroit to Miami. The cruise left on Monday.

Our vacations usually take a well-orchestrated convergence of time and money so they have to be planned well in advance. Like @Meriweather I also really enjoy the planning too and consider it part of the whole experience.

Once though I saw an excellent deal in one of those travel-spam e-mails for a long weekend in Los Angeles. I think we booked 8 or 9 days in advance so there was still enough time to plan a bit, including getting tickets to see Billy Joel at the Hollywood Bowl and spending a day at DLR. :earboy2: It was an excellent, excellent trip and I'd definitely do something similar again if the opportunity presents itself.

2 years ago. We booked on Tuesday flew out on Saturday to Mexico for an all inclusive vacation at a resort. We had been looking just happen to find a good deal and booked it. Actually found the deal Monday, made sure we could both get the time off work and booked Tuesday.

Three days. We were in the middle of a wicked cold snap, I got an email from Frontier or Spirit or one of those discount carriers about $29 fares to Florida, and I booked on Thursday to leave on Sunday. Usually I put more planning into flying trips, but we actually found the most incredible canal-front AirBnB for that trip so spur of the moment ended up working out really well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter