What Mistakes Did You Make w/ Genie+ or $ILL?

Not sure if this was a mistake or a glitch or me just still not understanding how this all work. I started my day in Hollywood Studios and was park hopping to Magic Kingdom at 2:00pm. I got my first HS LL for 10:40am, relatively late in the day, but everything was going so quick it was the soonest I could grab something. After we tapped in I was looking at LL times in MK and noticed they were starting to get booked up, so I grabbed a 3:20 Thunder Mountain LL for later in the day. After that I tried waiting until 11:00 to hit my two hour rule opening for HS (the park opened at 9:00) but I wasn't able to pick anything. I talked to a guest service cast member and if I understood them correctly, since I started booking in MK I was locked out of new HS LLs. That, or maybe I had to wait another two hours, which would have meant I couldn't make another LL until 12:00, but since we were leaving the park shortly after that and the LL times were going up and up I just couldn't get anything before park hopping. Either way it was a confusing mess and I left HS around 1:00pm with only getting one LL. I guess the bright side was that we had that Thunder Mountain LL waiting for us.
If you made a LL reservation around 10:40 (or whatever the exact time was you tapped in at the HS LL) for TM later in the day, at that point I think you needed to wait another 2 hours until you could make your next reservation, which would have been approx 12:40. It really didn't have anything to do with it being at MK. The same thing would be true if you made a later LL at HS.

On the other hand, I've not heard of a situation where you start booking for a later park, and doing that prevents you from getting additional LL in your current park. If that's true, I wasn't aware and need to be sure we don't try that.

can someone else elaborate on feeling their mistake of purchasing park hopper and using genie plus, that it's a mistake? i was wondering about this.
For us, it was just the opposite. We found (for us) that using Genie+/LL was of more value to us on park hopping days. It allowed us to set up a couple LL (and one day, even an ILL$) that we could use in the late afternoon/evening.

Last Saturday (2/19) was the only day we used Genie+ on our week long trip (2/13-2/20). We park hopped from MK to DHS and ended up with 5 lightening lanes for the day: 2 at MK and 3 at DHS.

1.) Haunted Mansion at 7:03 (9:40-10:40)
2.) Pirates after when we tapped into HM (11:25-12:25)
3.) RnRC after we tapped into Pirates (5:30-6:30)
4.) TSMM at 1:35/2 hours after Pirates (6:30-7:30)
5.) Smuggler’s Run at 3:45 (7:55-8:55)

I will say, that fifth one took a LOT of refreshing. But we were waiting in line for Star Tours so it wasn’t a big deal to refresh until I was able to grab something (I was honestly looking for anything: smugglers run, ToT, or Slinky).

This is what our day looked like:

Space mountain (got to MK at 7:30 for Rope drop)
Buzz Lightyear
Big thunder mountain
Haunted mansion LL
Peter Pan (randomly had a posted 45 min wait at 10:30 am. Actually waited only 25!)
Country bears
Pirates LL
Aloha Isle dole whip snack
Wilderness Lodge lunch and rest
Bus to DHS
Star Tours
Indiana Jones show @4:30
Lightening McQueen racing academy
Rock n Rollercoaster LL
Dinner @ ABC Commissary
Toy Story Mania LL
Mickey and Minnie’s Railway
Smuggler’s Run LL
Rise of the Resistance

Last Saturday (2/19) was the only day we used Genie+ on our week long trip (2/13-2/20). We park hopped from MK to DHS and ended up with 5 lightening lanes for the day: 2 at MK and 3 at DHS.

1.) Haunted Mansion at 7:03 (9:40-10:40)
2.) Pirates after when we tapped into HM (11:25-12:25)
3.) RnRC after we tapped into Pirates (5:30-6:30)
4.) TSMM at 1:35/2 hours after Pirates (6:30-7:30)
5.) Smuggler’s Run at 3:45 (7:55-8:55)

I will say, that fifth one took a LOT of refreshing. But we were waiting in line for Star Tours so it wasn’t a big deal to refresh until I was able to grab something (I was honestly looking for anything: smugglers run, ToT, or Slinky).

This is what our day looked like:

Space mountain (got to MK at 7:30 for Rope drop)
Buzz Lightyear
Big thunder mountain
Haunted mansion LL
Peter Pan (randomly had a posted 45 min wait at 10:30 am. Actually waited only 25!)
Country bears
Pirates LL
Aloha Isle dole whip snack
Wilderness Lodge lunch and rest
Bus to DHS
Star Tours
Indiana Jones show @4:30
Lightening McQueen racing academy
Rock n Rollercoaster LL
Dinner @ ABC Commissary
Toy Story Mania LL
Mickey and Minnie’s Railway
Smuggler’s Run LL
Rise of the Resistance
no slinky. no seven dwarfs. how did you feel about your day overall?

Canceling a booking that I made at 11 am thinking I could immediately rebook since this was an older booking (it was 1:30 pm). The app made us wait until our next booking window at 3 pm even though I had canceled one I made hours earlier.
Yep. Me too

no slinky. no seven dwarfs. how did you feel about your day overall?

We had already rope dropped 7dmt earlier in the week and had ridden slinky another day- those weren’t even on our radar for our last day. Tbh the main thing we wanted to do was BTMRR bc it had been closed all week until Saturday. Most of the others it was our 2nd or 3rd time on that week (and 4th for Haunted Mansion, lol).

We were SUPER pleased with our day!!! 15 attractions, including many headliners 👍 our longest standby wait was probably 45 minutes (For both MMRR and RotR, both of which had inflated wait times).

My mistake was probably buying it for our short trip where we pushed my parents in wheelchairs. No hands to use a phone to schedule next rides. Couldn’t do it in line after tapping in at all because lines keep moving pretty much. I would have to pull over to the side and try to book. It was really hard to do with my parents. We did have a great great trip but genie + was just too hard with my hands full.

My mistake was not realizing I could select my time for ILL and not just accept the first time shown on the tip board (as is the case for Genie +). For example, our first day was in EPCOT and at 7:00 I was trying to get an ILL for Remy. The time shown was 10:00, which was when the park opened. We weren't going to be there until around 12:00, so I kept waiting for it to refresh to a later time. Once it hit 11:00 I clicked on it and then all available times were shown, 11:00, 12:00, 1:00 etc. It ended up working out, but caused us to have to backtrack to TT for that Genie+ that I'd already made.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter