What Mistakes Did You Make w/ Genie+ or $ILL?

lockets

DIS Veteran
I'll start...

When it was time for me to book one of the G+ rides, I accidentally left one person off the booking. By the time I realized what happened, about an hour elapsed. By booking that person into the ride with us an hour later than I should have, the system reset for that person to two hours from THAT point for their next selection. This meant everyone was out of sync.

Then I essentially lost the next time slot to book a ride for the entire group because I had to wait for that one person's "G+ time clock" to catch up.

I learned later I could have gone to Guest Services to plead my case to have them added to the ride that I had accidentally left them out of. Then I could have used the next time slot for all again. However, in that scenario I would have been waiting on a long Guest Services line during a crazy busy park day so... not ideal...

I made the opposite mistake, in booking our entire party out of habit for a ride that not all of us were going to go on. That caused delays in booking the next LL because we hadn’t all tapped in. Fixed it by having that person tap in and not ride but maybe could have just canceled the leftover booking?

Also regret not buying PH’s. Since we were doing midday breaks most days, it would have given us a lot more flexibility in booking LL’s for evening.

Canceling a booking that I made at 11 am thinking I could immediately rebook since this was an older booking (it was 1:30 pm). The app made us wait until our next booking window at 3 pm even though I had canceled one I made hours earlier.

Being connected to Disney Wi-Fi at 7 trying to make a FOP $ILL. It just kept circling and kicking me out. By the time I realized my mistake, it was 7:04 and FOP was gone…

Then I remembered that I should check back after around the 10 minute mark and wouldn’t you know, at 7:11 there were loof times to choose from and I got my 10:00 FOP 👍

(Adding- glad we did FOP Wednesday when the $ILL was less expensive than the weekend)

**Not realizing that you couldn’t modify selections. How dumb. By the time you’d cancel and check for other other rides, the times would be hours later.

We only did one $ILL and tried out Genie+ our last day. My motto for that day became “it’s not what I wanted but it’s at least something” (getting TSMM in the afternoon while trying for basically any of the other headliners at DHS).

Purchased, thinking it would save time because we had an ADR and didn't have time to wait in several multi hour SB lines. By the time the purchase went through, return times were all several hours later and we couldn't use it at all

I made the opposite mistake, in booking our entire party out of habit for a ride that not all of us were going to go on. That caused delays in booking the next LL because we hadn’t all tapped in. Fixed it by having that person tap in and not ride but maybe could have just canceled the leftover booking?

Also regret not buying PH’s. Since we were doing midday breaks most days, it would have given us a lot more flexibility in booking LL’s for evening.
what is PH?

Being connected to Disney Wi-Fi at 7 trying to make a FOP $ILL. It just kept circling and kicking me out. By the time I realized my mistake, it was 7:04 and FOP was gone…
Are you saying it is better to use your cell data access and not Disney Wifi for the 7AM LL rush?

Are you saying it is better to use your cell data access and not Disney Wifi for the 7AM LL rush?
This was my experience. I had a day this week where I didn't realize that my phone automatically connected to the Disney resort wifi, and I was unable to even load the tip board to see any times available until after everything I had been trying for already sold out. Luckily I had other people in my party that managed to book everything!

Another HUGE mistake: I didn’t realize I could select again after tapping into a ride.

I set a phone alarm for the G+ selection windows and was using only that as the indicator of when I can select again.

Chiming in that this depends on your cell phone service and reception so “mileage may vary” person to person but in my experience - yes - sometimes toggling off WiFi gets things done quicker directly on the cell phone provider network.

And sometimes it’s the opposite (like at airports sometimes WiFi works but network is slow).

I agree it’s a good workaround to try if Disney WiFi has your phone stuck.

When I looked at the, 'My Day' page not all of my G+ LL times were displayed. Because I couldn't see all of them I went to the 'Tip Board' and thought the time being displayed for LL was my booked time and that my LLs were getting pushed out.

I was wrong. My LL's were still at the time I had confirmed my booking and because of me misreading them, I missed 3 return times the first day.

Lesson learned. The 2 other times we used G+ I would refresh the 'My Day' page and normally all my LL return times would be displayed. I also took a screen shot when I booked them so that I knew for sure when my times were.

Another HUGE mistake: I didn’t realize I could select again after tapping into a ride.

I set a phone alarm for the G+ selection windows and was using only that as the indicator of when I can select again.
Yea, this is actually an important one to know about the system. It can make a big difference in some situations. We also learned from experience!

This was my experience. I had a day this week where I didn't realize that my phone automatically connected to the Disney resort wifi, and I was unable to even load the tip board to see any times available until after everything I had been trying for already sold out. Luckily I had other people in my party that managed to book everything!
Chiming in that this depends on your cell phone service and reception so “mileage may vary” person to person but in my experience - yes - sometimes toggling off WiFi gets things done quicker directly on the cell phone provider network.

And sometimes it’s the opposite (like at airports sometimes WiFi works but network is slow).

I agree it’s a good workaround to try if Disney WiFi has your phone stuck.
I guess that makes sense.

I was wondering why this would happen now and not in the FP+ days. In the FP+ days there was no daily rush onto the local WiFi or cell service at 7AM or really any particular time. So the instant demand was not there. Now everyone jams at once.

Yea, this is actually an important one to know about the system. It can make a big difference in some situations. We also learned from experience!
I read on the DISBoards prior to my trip that Disney closed the “stacking loophole” so I thought selections after ride taps wouldn’t work, but I think maybe there was some stacking loophole that was happening w/ the morning selections only and that’s what was closed. I honestly still don’t fully understand it.

All I know is I didn’t realize this error until I got back home. Oops! Lesson learned.

I pay for everything with electronic Disney gift cards. At 6:55 AM I was ready to go. Actually I was half asleep and that was likely the issue…

Anyway I realize “Wait! What gift card am I using?” After figuring out which one would be the best to use, it was already 7 AM. I didn’t have time to type up the numbers in a place where I could easily copy and paste so I was toggling between in my phone to enter digits four at a time. Seconds wasted.

However I did get all my rides I wanted in that session so that’s great!

BUT that was our Animal Kingdom day.

I am certain if it would have been for a Hollywood Studios day I would have needed those seconds.

Not pinning my high-priority rides to the top of the Tip Board, causing me to waste precious seconds scrolling through the entire list of rides when refreshing to find the ones I'm interested in. The pinning procedure is described in the G+ strategies post, scroll to the end of the post. This can be the difference in getting early return times for hard-to-get rides.

Last edited:
Not pinning my high-priority rides to the top of the Tip Board, causing me to waste precious seconds scrolling through the entire list of rides when refreshing to find the ones I'm interested in. The pinning procedure is described in the G+ strategies post, scroll to the end of the post. This can be the difference in getting early return times for hard-to-get rides.
I had no idea this could be done! I was dizzy all day from scrolling and refreshing! Thanks for the tip.

Not sure if this was a mistake or a glitch or me just still not understanding how this all work. I started my day in Hollywood Studios and was park hopping to Magic Kingdom at 2:00pm. I got my first HS LL for 10:40am, relatively late in the day, but everything was going so quick it was the soonest I could grab something. After we tapped in I was looking at LL times in MK and noticed they were starting to get booked up, so I grabbed a 3:20 Thunder Mountain LL for later in the day. After that I tried waiting until 11:00 to hit my two hour rule opening for HS (the park opened at 9:00) but I wasn't able to pick anything. I talked to a guest service cast member and if I understood them correctly, since I started booking in MK I was locked out of new HS LLs. That, or maybe I had to wait another two hours, which would have meant I couldn't make another LL until 12:00, but since we were leaving the park shortly after that and the LL times were going up and up I just couldn't get anything before park hopping. Either way it was a confusing mess and I left HS around 1:00pm with only getting one LL. I guess the bright side was that we had that Thunder Mountain LL waiting for us.

can someone else elaborate on feeling their mistake of purchasing park hopper and using genie plus, that it's a mistake? i was wondering about this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter