What WDW Costs Am I Missing?

Miscellaneous emergency items such as medicine, sunscreen if you forget it, first aid supplies, etc

I forgot sunscreen on my first trip to FL. Which is extra sad because I'm from CA and know how important it is! I had the distinct privilege of buying the world's most expensive sunscreen ever at my hotel. I've never forgotten my sunscreen again!

forgotten items like sunscreen, Motrin, ponchos

i HATE overpaying for this kind of stuff but i know if i don't have it i'll end up needing it-but i hate schlepping it along with me on vacation so..... i end up mailing myself a flat rate mailer to the resort with a small supply of all of our 'just in case' stuff. it's stuff like pepsid, immodium, motrin, Benadryl, a small tube of desitin (great for heat rash), clear eyes and sunscreen/aloe gel in case the sunscreen didn't work, band aids, eyeglass repair kit, nail clippers/tweezers. it's less expensive to send it twice (to/from) then to have to buy even one of these items at resort prices.

since it's flat rate, if I still have room in the box I shove stuff I don't nesc. want in my suitcase (kid's water shoes/flip flops).

Hi all - starting the budget now for our family trip in 2019! I have been many times with family and once with DH; this is the first trip for DS, who will be 4.

As I put together the budget, I’m considering the below costs. What costs/ categories am I forgetting, especially considering this will be my first trip with a little one?

• Airfare (likely using points)
  • Baggage fees
  • Airport parking fees
  • Transfers (using ME, so no cost)
  • Lodging costs including tax
  • Gratuities for housekeeping
  • Amazon Prime order for snacks/ drinks
  • Food on travel days
  • Breakfast, lunch, dinner each day, including tips for any table service
  • Some random snacks
  • Costs for a night in the lounge for the grownups
  • Park tickets plus tax
  • Stroller rental in park if DS gets tired
  • Souvenirs
  • Costs built in for Uber/cab if we’re not in the mood to wait for the bus after a dinner reservation

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but do you need to buy new clothes for the trip? New sneakers or swimsuit? My little ones grow so quickly we end up buying a new wardrobe almost every season.

Take your umbrella stroller from home. They are small, easy to set up/fold/manage on transportation, you'll have it for airports if you need it/don't check it, and, quite honestly, I bet he'll need it. Disney is HUGE, hot, and crowded. Heck, I wish I'D had a stroller for ME half the time! We took the umbrella stroller for years- finally dumped it at Disney on the trip where DD turned 6. She didn't really use it that trip, but until then, we'd always been glad to have it. I bought it at a yard sale for $5 when DD was 2, so didn't mind leaving it at Disney (as it had fallen apart...).

Take your umbrella stroller from home. They are small, easy to set up/fold/manage on transportation, you'll have it for airports if you need it/don't check it, and, quite honestly, I bet he'll need it. Disney is HUGE, hot, and crowded. Heck, I wish I'D had a stroller for ME half the time! We took the umbrella stroller for years- finally dumped it at Disney on the trip where DD turned 6. She didn't really use it that trip, but until then, we'd always been glad to have it. I bought it at a yard sale for $5 when DD was 2, so didn't mind leaving it at Disney (as it had fallen apart...).

I have to agree on the umbrella stroller-and if you don't want to deal with it at an airport amazon has them under prime for $20 so you could have it delivered to the resort and waiting for you.

we took ours back in the day if only b/c if we did a late night at the parks it was much easier to have ds in it to exit the park vs trying to hold onto a younger one's hand and make our way through the crowd. an added bonus is it provides seating for outside viewing of events and a means of carrying purchases/doggie bags/jackets...it's not like I left anything of major value on ours BUT it was kind of a mobile purse for me-the sunscreen, hats and other odds and ends we stowed on it (vs. paying day after day for a locker).

Another vote for the stroller. You will need it at some point during this trip. Even the best of little travelers can only go so far before they've reached the limits of their endurance, and you don't want to have to carry your child that far if you're at the far end of a park when this happens.

Hi all - starting the budget now for our family trip in 2019! I have been many times with family and once with DH; this is the first trip for DS, who will be 4.

As I put together the budget, I’m considering the below costs. What costs/ categories am I forgetting, especially considering this will be my first trip with a little one?

• Airfare (likely using points)
  • Baggage fees
  • Airport parking fees
  • Transfers (using ME, so no cost)
  • Lodging costs including tax
  • Gratuities for housekeeping
  • Amazon Prime order for snacks/ drinks
  • Food on travel days
  • Breakfast, lunch, dinner each day, including tips for any table service
  • Some random snacks
  • Costs for a night in the lounge for the grownups
  • Park tickets plus tax
  • Stroller rental in park if DS gets tired
  • Souvenirs
  • Costs built in for Uber/cab if we’re not in the mood to wait for the bus after a dinner reservation

We went in January and had a single and double stroller with us.

A couple of us decided to go to AK one afternoon and skipped bringing the stroller because we figured we would carry the little one if needed as she was walking quite well.

Started out well until we got off the tram from the parking lot. We already needed the stroller!

We bought a stroller in AK for about $45 or so - can't remember why we didn't rent but we could have got it for half price at home! It was a lifesaver!

Bring a stroller.

Photo Pass! Knew I forgot something - that’s a big one for us because we are terrible at taking pictures.

Good call on miscellaneous - i’ll pad my final budget number by $200.

Re: the stroller, he will have just turned 4. I’m hoping he won’t need one, but you’re right, may be cheaper to either bring our own umbrella stroller or order a cheapie one and have it delivered to the resort. I’m afraid if I do bring one we won’t use it, and if I don’t bring one we’ll regret it!

We were thinking of doing a trial park day at HersheyPark (near our house) to see how he does with crowds, heat, getting tired, etc - that may be the test to see if we need to bring a stroller or not.

I PROMISE you, you WILL need a stroller. Disney looks so neat and compact on maps but IT IS HUGE! As others have said, there are many a fit adult who wouldn’t mind some stroller time. The rental ones are very hard and uncomfortable and can’t leave the park. Also tie a bright scarf or balloon on the stroller because while you are on rides the CMs will move it, and it can be hard to find when it’s not where you left it.

My 6yo still uses a stroller and he is a sturdy boy. And when he gets out, the 9yo hops in. A stroller is a must have.

I agree that you will need that stroller! Also don’t forget the purchases you make getting ready for the trip; matching T-shirts, new sun glasses, extra sun screen etc.

I PROMISE you, you WILL need a stroller. Disney looks so neat and compact on maps but IT IS HUGE! As others have said, there are many a fit adult who wouldn’t mind some stroller time. The rental ones are very hard and uncomfortable and can’t leave the park. Also tie a bright scarf or balloon on the stroller because while you are on rides the CMs will move it, and it can be hard to find when it’s not where you left it.

You jogged my memory! I looked at those really hard looking strollers and didn't want to put darling granddaughter in it, plus you couldn't take it out of the park.

Plus, we went to see Lion King and couldn't find the stroller when we came out. Had just bought it an hour earlier and figured it was gone. With my jacket in it. The CM's had moved it which we had expected but it really was difficult to find. If my jacket wasn't in it I probably wouldn't have even known which one it was.

We were thinking of doing a trial park day at HersheyPark (near our house) to see how he does with crowds, heat, getting tired, etc - that may be the test to see if we need to bring a stroller or not.

Hey “neighbor” (I’m in York County) - I do not disagree with the test, however, please know that PA in summer is nowhere near as humid as FL. Even if both places have a 90+ degree day, FL feels worse. The air gets so hot and thick before the thunderstorms, it can be hard to breathe. My youngest is 5 (almost 6) and he has been walking Hersheypark open till close for about 1.5 years. However, we spend a huge amount of time in the wave pool, which helps. WDW is so much larger, so the extra distance and sweaty “yuck” factor can make it unbearable - especially if you are still able to carry LO. I am pro-stroller for this age, and if you don’t need it, it is an amazing souvenir/bag/popcorn bucket holder.

The test is great for seeing how he does in lines and crowds overall. Some kids are amazing at waiting in lines, and if you are in standby lines there are plenty of great ones in WDW (not so much HP). Other kids need more attention/distraction when they suffer from “are we there yet?!” symptoms. Misting fans, snacks, bubbles, or playing “I Spy” has helped my boys. As far as crowds, it generally helps my boys because the pace is slower for their short legs. :)

I personally would bring my stroller, or have one delivered... traveling is tough on grown-ups and even harder on the kids. There is so much walking and more walking... I could not imagine not having one for my DD's when they were that age... They wanted to ride, and even napped in it... even if they normally don't nap you might be surprised when the just fall asleep at the table, or on a ride, or the bus... then you are carrying them, along with the back pack, and whatever packages you have... not fun... it nice to be able to give them a place to rest when the " Hooold Meee Mommmmmy's" start up...

Photopass - so that everyone is in the pictures...

Mickey ears and souvenirs...

Budgeting for Mickey ice cream which is a must have... yep everyday on vacation. Ohhh and a dole whip or two

Tip for the DME driver

I would look into some type of package, resort, park tickets, and possible free dinning or some discount of room

I would price out possible using uber to get to and from the airport... this could save you a bundle... make sure get one with a car seat and enough room for luggage.

Are you going with Park Hoppers? or adding in Water Park day? -

Are you planning on doing laundry while at the resort - I just bring a couple of tide pods...

Eats or snacks... at pool side... as well as some adult beverages pool side... bring lots of sunscreen with you, don't forget some flip flops, and a cover ups, hats,

Are you planning on visiting one of the outlet malls? or another theme park?

Make a list of all medicines you might need something for tummy aches or worse, headache's, allergy, band aids and Neo, double check any prescription med's you might take, Make-up, and lady products, razors, bath supplies... Oh a lots of Lysol wipes... for the plane and the resort room ( I'm a germophobe) I wipe the room down after they clean it daily... having to get this stuff there is sooooo costly...

I am going to suggest some goodnight underwear for the little guy while I am sure at home he does not need this, but they are so tired completely exhausted at the end of a day at Disney some times accidents will happen, then you have to call housekeeping in the middle of the night for clean sheets and so forth. Please don't be offended it just something that I learn when my kids were little, and is completely just a suggestion...

Ok,ok, you all have sold me - I WILL budget for a stroller!!!!!

One other thing I forgot - Trip Insurance. I have never bothered with it before, however, we will have an 18 month old we're leaving at home with family, and we plan on booking this trip by renting DVC points through Dave's, which is not refundable. Between having two small children and the potential of something happening with one of them - or an elderly family member - or me or DH - this is one trip I'm going to purchase the trip insurance for!

And another question - what do you think is the most economical way to get booze to the room? We'll likely want 2 6-packs and a bottle of wine to have in the room. Was going to budget for the lounge, but I didn't realize Poly was closing their childcare center - that shuts down a night out for mom and dad for us (I'm just not comfortable with the babysitter thing).

We plan on using Magical Express to get to the resort and Amazon Prime Now for a grocery order delivered to the hotel. However, Amazon Prime Now doesn't do alcohol. We could go with Garden Grocer instead, which is pretty expensive, and the variety isn't great for alcohol. Or, my husband or I can get an Uber and run to a Publix, though the Uber will likely add a $50 surcharge to whatever alcohol we buy.

Any other options I'm missing for stocking the room with alcohol?

I agree with needing a stroller. However, if you want to bring your own umbrella stroller make sure it is comfortable to push day after day. Make sure the handles are not so short that you walk a bit hunched. That is a sure way to have a sore back. But with a 4 year old, for sure bring or rent a stroller.

i HATE overpaying for this kind of stuff but i know if i don't have it i'll end up needing it-but i hate schlepping it along with me on vacation so..... i end up mailing myself a flat rate mailer to the resort with a small supply of all of our 'just in case' stuff. it's stuff like pepsid, immodium, motrin, Benadryl, a small tube of desitin (great for heat rash), clear eyes and sunscreen/aloe gel in case the sunscreen didn't work, band aids, eyeglass repair kit, nail clippers/tweezers. it's less expensive to send it twice (to/from) then to have to buy even one of these items at resort prices.

since it's flat rate, if I still have room in the box I shove stuff I don't nesc. want in my suitcase (kid's water shoes/flip flops).

I do pack all of that stuff in a Ziploc bag every time we travel. I don't carry it all around the parks with us (except Tylenol & Motrin) but as others said it is torture to pay crazy high prices when you're stuck. I leave it in the suitcase for "just in case". I do carry in the parks backpack a little zipper pouch of bandaids and Neosporin packets because the one time my kids were little and on a cruise excursion and ds slipped a little off a slightly raised sidewalk and scraped the side of his ankle on the concrete. It bled like crazy and a grandmotherly-looking lady offered a bandaid and I felt like getting the Unprepared Mommy of the Year Award. :laughing: So since then I feel better to be prepared. :thumbsup2

Incidentals as others have mentioned. (sunscreen, Advil, someone forgets a belt, game room item, little boat ride, tips, etc. // We try to plan for as much as possible, but there is always something. // Do you buy souvenirs? We don't, but Disney ones can be pretty tempting. DS does, but we have him use his own money. Sounds like you have thought of almost everything. One thing on our vacations budgets every time, that is a line item for sure that sounds like you don't have to worry about is Kennel. We board our dog, so boarding/doggy day costs including grooming at the end est. -- more expensive than a week for a kid at a YMCA camp lol.

Not sure I saw this mentioned, but anything you may need for "that time of the month". I was unhappily surprised one trip, and the cost of those products at Disney are crazy high. Plus, I've been in a Disney bathroom and had someone ask for something for their daughter. It is Girl Code to help each other out when you can.:)

We rented strollers thru age six for days in the WDW parks (weren't using a stroller at home, but got them at these parks). And as other posters alluded too, we weren't doing strollers at Six Flags or Cedar Point at that time, but WDW is a whole different animal. And our kids were fine on three hour family friendly hikes out west too. We weren't using strollers at all for other vacations and we are talking reasonably in shape kids who are fine doing hiking and sports. At WDW, though, kids being able to ride when they want and walk when they want makes for happy kids and very happy parents. Epcot in particular is huge and it's a lot of miles for little legs. Part of that maybe is how long you stay at the parks. We didn't do parks every day, but when we did park days we were talking 16 hour days without any breaks (our park style).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter