What/where do you HAVE to eat in the parks?

la79al

DIS Veteran
Trying to do a budget trip for me and 3 kids. They would be okay with packing food everyday and we will have a full load of groceries to do so. I am trying to save up to do either 1 CS or a few snacks per day. The bigger ones told me it is not worth it to them to do character dining. I know we have to do BOG and we have to do a turkey leg at some point. Anything else really worth it? Either theming or food options? They aren't terribly picky eaters and I think would be intrigued with trying new foods.

We always eat at Harbor House in MK. We enjoy the food but I think we mostly eat here due to tradition. This is where we ALWAYS ate when I was a kid so I have lots of good memories. Last time we ate at Casey's Corner and even though seating was hard to find the corn dogs dipped in cheese were delicious, because anything dipped in cheese is yummy. Another place we ate at last time and will again next time is Satu'li in AK. The chicken bowl was delicious!

If you are planning on BOG, I'd go for lunch, not breakfast. The breakfast is really expensive.

For budget trips, we have breakfast int eh room and pack a completely disposable lunch that we eat by about 11:45 am so we don't have to haul it around all day.

My favorite quick services places are Backlot Express and Woody's Lunchbox at HWS, Satuli or Flame Tree BBQ in AK and any of the spots in the World showcase in Epcot. Particular favorites are the bakery in France, the Lotus Blossom Cafe in Chine and the one in Japan. Consider sharing adult sized meals or even ordering kids meals.

Well Casey's is a sentimental favorite of mine for CS and yet another vote for Mickey bar's for a snack.

If we are talking snacks, then we always make sure we get at least one Dole Whip float! MMMMM, my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Restaurants

MK - Columbia Harbour House. Love the Chicken Pot Pie here.
Epcot - Don't really have a MUST. We like to try different places since there's so much to choose from. Our favorite so far is Teppan Edo over at the Japan pavilion. Really great food and a fun experience to watch the chef prepare your meal.
HS - None
AK - Satuli Canteen. Love this place as it's great to try something unique other than the typical theme park food. If you are looking to try something different I would highly recommend going here for a meal.
Disney Springs - Chef Art Smith's Homecomin. Fantastic place if you're into southern comfort food. Generous portions, a little on the pricey side though.

Snacks

MK - Dole Whip/Mickey Pretzel
Epcot - Croque Glace at the France pavilion which is basically ice cream between a warm brioche bun with your choice of sauce and then is warmed up and sealed. So goooood. Highly recommend it.
HS - None
AK - Mr. Kamal's Fries at Mr. Kamal's - Seasoned fries topped with a tzatzki sauce and sriracha ketchup. Very unique and flavorful.
Disney Springs - Hot Fudge Sundae at Ghiradelli's.

Last edited:
Trying to do a budget trip for me and 3 kids. They would be okay with packing food everyday and we will have a full load of groceries to do so. I am trying to save up to do either 1 CS or a few snacks per day. The bigger ones told me it is not worth it to them to do character dining. I know we have to do BOG and we have to do a turkey leg at some point. Anything else really worth it? Either theming or food options? They aren't terribly picky eaters and I think would be intrigued with trying new foods.

Oh dear, here we go:

Magic Kingdom-
Caseys's: usually corn dog nugs with "plastic cheese", but me and hubby will more than likely split whatever specialty dog there is cause it's fun.
Aloha Isle- dole whip float without a doubt every single time we walk by, which is usually 5+ in our 9 day stay. I am DETERMINED to try the pineapple upside down cake with dole whip, but I gotta have the float too.
Epcot-
Germany pavilion: whether it be nudel gratin from Sommerfest, or something from the Karamell Kuche, we stop at least once.
Hollywood Studios-
Trolly Car Cafe: carrot cake cookie, and USED TO GET the butterfinger cupcake but it has since been taken away
Snack cart by chinese theater- I have found the cream cheese pretzel here 3 years in a row, but it's always subject to change!
Animal Kingdom-
Satuli Canteen: this place is just incredible. Such next level food when it comes to a theme park!
Kussafari Bakery- mickey shaped cinnamon roll!

IMHO, nothing at WDW is "have to". Most of the food is mediocre at best if you step back an look at it. Although we do get a Mickey Bar.

I'm sure everyone will give different ideas because everyone has different tastes. Since you mentioned picky eaters, I would pull all the menus and make sure there are items your kids will eat on the menu (coming from a fellow picky eater).

Our family must dos are BOG lunch, Yak & Yeti (not sure if this is too far out for your picky eaters), and Columbia Harbour House.

I think BOG lunch would be a good option to splurge on (since you mentioned this is a budget trip) because there's sandwiches and that's usually a pretty friendly option for picky eaters.

One thing you can do is buy a $10 popcorn bucket and get it refilled every day you are there in the parks for less than $2. There is maple popcorn at the Canada cart in Epcot and somewhere in Future world there is a cart with 3 flavors - buffalo, cheese and sour cream/chive I think - I haven't found that one yet but they say you should get a mix of it. I love the maple popcorn!

I would try for BOG lunch just to have a nice sit down place for at least one of your meals. I like Pecos Bills - usually get some form of nachos for lunch or tacos. Also the Plaza has relatively decent prices for a sit down. At AK you could get a platter at Flame tree to share with a side of onion rings or fries and could feed a few of you. At Epcot there are so many place to choose, I would say look at menus. You could also get and ADR at Via Napoli and get their largest pizza for a meal. For a fun TS that may not be overly pricey, you could try for Sci-Fi in HS.

At least for me, my “must haves” are for sentimental reasons as they take me back to previous trips. With this, everyone’s “must haves” are going to be different. The things that are musts for me on every trip are a Mickey Ice Cream Bar, soft pretzel from the Germany pavilion in Epcot, and Mickey Waffles. For quick service, not so much for sentimental reasons, but I love the quick service in the Mexico pavilion. Food has always been delicious whenever I have been. I agree with what others have said about BOG for breakfast, it is pricier than lunch. Although, if you are able to get a 8am reservation when the park opens at 9am, you can get in line for SDMT before the mad rush of people following the welcome show. Bonus Fast Pass!!!

Ok. Here’s our list:

Magic Kingdom-
  • Cosmic Ray’s - this is tradition for us, plus we love the burger fixings bar
  • Snacks - Mickey Ice Cream Bar or Dole Whip
Epcot
  • Sunshine Seasons - LOTS of great choices. Not the standard burgers and nuggets. Lots of seating too.
  • Snacks - Churros in Mexico!! They come with caramel sauce and are the best.
Hollywood Studios
  • Backlot Express - Best of the bunch at HS for QS.
Animal Kingdom
  • Flame Tree BBQ

Last edited:
Epcot
  • Sunshine Seasons - LOT’S of great choices. Not the standard burgers and nuggets. Lot’s of seating too.
  • Snacks - Churros in Mexico!! They come with caramel sauce and are the best.

THE CHURROS ARE SO GOOD!!! When they are still warm, they are even better!

There isn’t any must-do for me. So many great snacks/places to eat, so little time. If I ate everything I really love in one trip, they’d probably have to roll me home, naked because none of my clothes fit any more. Give me a Ghiardelli’s Sundae, a trip or two to the French Bakery, a trip to Liberty Tree Tavern for Colony salad and Ooey Gooey Toffee cake, Tangerine cafe’s Vegetarian Platter, anything from Germany’s caramel shop, a Nutella Waffle, etc, etc.

Satu'li Canteen in AK, I'd eat there every day in the parks if it were feasible... even the hot dog is good.

Guess dh & I are the exceptions, as we each had a bowl from Satu'li Canteen and we were definitely underwhelmed. We each said it was just bland mixed up food - no desire to eat there again. Our go to place to eat at AK is Flame Tree - never disappointed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter