What You Learned From Your Last Disney Trip...

Just making sure I bumped this up. I learned a few important things:

1) Program the disney dining number into my cell phone -- I had it handy at all times.

2) Keep the phone number of the resort handy on my phone as well. Not so much for me, but if I lost it, someone could see where I was and possibly call and let them know it was at lost in found or somewhere safe -- a longshot, but you never know. (I would do it if I found someone's phone!)

3) I think this one has been said before but I'll bring it up again in case someone missed it -- have at least 2/3 pairs of shoes and rotate. Even the most comfortable sneaker hurts after one day. Foot doctors say you should switch shoes every day to avoid blisters. That's what I did and my feet were fine. (I also managed to put lotion on them every night before I went to bed -- no matter how tired I was.)

4) Put your park/key card in the same spot every day when you get to the park and then in the same spot every night when you get to the hotel. One day we got all the way to MGM and I forgot my ticket. Luckily, the help desk at MGM was able to find me in the system and issued me a ticket for the day -- but it took a lot of time (not his fault, that was understandable) and it was time spent away from the park.

5) Have one person hold all the fast passes you get. This way, you don't have to scamble for them when you go back to use it up. (Don't recommend this for park tickets however -- if one person loses them all, you are in trouble LOL)

I learned that:
1) you should NEVER schedule two sit down meals a day with an (almost) 3 yr old.
2) now that I'm 30...my body is clearly failing me because I now need dramamine for all the "adult" rides
3) 4 days is NOT enough time in Disney when you have a child with you. You need at least a week because they walk slower, eat slower, need more naps/pool breaks, and will want to ride Buzz Lightyear 35 times in a row!!!

I learned that if your dd goes to the park dressed as a Princess princess: the characters bow & call her "your Majesty" One CM even asked for HER autograph!

From reading this thread, I have learned that for our Grand Gathering in Sept, I will make my own touring plans, give the other families a copy & only try to meet up at meals. Sounds like too much stress to all stay together as was my original plan.

We had a great trip this past March (stayed at BCV)! :thumbsup2

We got my son's first haircut at the Main Street Barber Shop in MK. It was only $12 I believe, & it was so special. They gave him the mickey ears hat, that's embroidered "first haicut", and even put "pixie dust" in my girls' hair for fun. A great deal!

I agree with staying on site - a must

Go to the park of your choice 1st thin in the morning. Follow a plan, use FP whenever possible and be prepared to leave the park after lunch. Either park hop, go back to the resort for a swim, or take a lesiurely lunch break. This way, you can see and do plenty before lunch, feel satisfied that you did do alot but also take the time to relax, destress and enjoy "smelling the roses". Our last trip was soo much better than our 1st because I made sure our plans were more relaxed and less commando stlye. Also, try a new resteraunt every trip if possible. Oh, and make sure if you're in the midst of potty training that you know where every bathroom in the immediate vicinity is at all times!!!:rotfl:

Never ever ever go with non Disney people that just don't get or appreciate the magic and wonder that is Disney.

No matter how hard you try sell them on the best place on earth if they don't want to get it they NEVER will.

TO BAD FOR THEM!!

1. Just bucause you arrived with the people does not mean you have to stay with them. Just lets your friends/family go one way and you the other
2. Only plan 1 or 2 events per day, take the others as langiappe if you happen to get them
3. MIL will get very upset when you tell her you are going to duct tape her mouth shut
4. Buy an autograph book, it is really fun
5. Remember to be a kid again, who says you have to act grown up
6. It is not a true vacation unless you have at least 3 Griswald moments
7. Always bring baby powder for chafing
8. Digital cameras will always save you lots of cash and bring back some fantastic memory, just bring enough memory cards or a laptop to transfer em
9. If you have a chance talk with a CM, it reallyy makes thier day and you can learn some valuable information
10. Buy souveniers there you will not find them back at home
11. look for hidden Mickey's

Excersize!!!

My last trip to the House of Mouse was spent almost entirely in a seated position as I was recovering from kneww surgury 6 weeks earlier. I had the good fortune of an ECV during my stay so I took for granted the amount of walking that I could have done.

As it has been 5 years since I last walked the world and about 3 years since I have had any sustained activity, I have decided to begin my pre-Disney workout now by stretching and doing the treadmill daily. I figure that if I can build up to 4-5 miles daily, that should suffice.

I never got along with my MIL. We took her to WDW when the kids were about 6 and 10 and stayed in a motor home. Since we did not live near her, the kids got to know her as never before. She even babysat one night when the DH and I had a romantic dinner.

Of course there was the night she was shopping at MK. I showed her which door to come out and I was at a bench at the door. She came out the opposite door and preceded to go into the darkened MK. It took us about an hour to find her. Darn, I had my chance to really lose her!!!!

Our relationship that week took a turn for the better. (And it only took 12 years.)

Just remember to take it a little slower with the 'Mature Folks'.

Don't take so many clothes and snacks. I ended up doing laundry anyways, and we never even wore some of the stuff we brought. And we ended up bringing home a bunch of snacks that were never touched.

1. Bring Poptarts and breakfast bars for a quick breakfast in the room.
2. Bring Kool Aid or Lemonaide mix to make when in the room.
3. Bring Kool Aid Singles to use in the park.
4. Take more time to explore EPCOT.
5. Bring water proof band aides and keep a few on me at all times.
6. Stay at the WL whenever possible.
7. Take some time to enjoy the resort pool.
8. ALWAYS use Magical Express.
9. Even though I do a great deal of planning for each WDW trip (DH says i over-plan), and I involve the DS's in the planning process, leave some things as a suprise. (We left MNSSHP as a suprise and it went over really big with the DS's)
10. You don't have to see everything in one trip. It gives you a good excuse to go back as soon as possible.

Don't wait in line at the front of Epcot for the EMH bracelet. When my boyfriend and I were there in 2005 (during F&W) we wanted to get bracelets -- but the lines at the front were packed. We started walking around and had an "oh well, if we get them, fine, if not, that's fine too" attitude. We started walking towards worldshowcase (Mexico side) and there was a CM there handing out passes with NO line whatsoever. It seems everyone rushed to the first place and didn't even know about him. THAT was really nice.

(I'm sure the other parks have similar places/people but we never took advantage of the EMH anytime but that one time. SORRY)

where can you find back pacs with built in coolers? I have never heard of them.

While shopping for backpacks during our July trip to Orlando, I came across an insulated backpack by Roxy at a Ron Jon Surf Shop. It was the first time I recall seeing such a backpack and at the time I thought the insulation was an unnecessary feature. Its potential usefulness at Disney never even crossed my mind! Now, I could kick myself - the same bag will cost me a small fortune at home here in Barbados!

I think it was in the $40 - $45 US range. One of our kids has had a Roxy/ *********** backpack for about three years now - it went everywhere, school, beach, weekend trips etc and was subjected to major abuse. The bag is still structurally in great shape - a bit grubby (note to self - light grey is a BAD colour choice for a backpack for an untidy teenager!). I assume that the cooler backpack with be of similar good quality.

Bring lots of moisturizing lotion. (I'm partial to the Bath and Body Works kind, myself.) I don't know if it's just me, but the water in Florida just seems to dry out my skin big time, and last trip I came home with such dry skin around my ankles and knees especially, that it was starting to crack, and very itchy.

I had the same problem with my youngest DD during our July trip. The skin on her shins was cracked and painful - the moisturizing lotion we normally use at home just didn't work. Eventually I had to buy a jar of Palmer's cocoa butter - a heavier product than I'd normally use in that heat but I was the only thing that worked.

I was desperate enough to go buy Crisco - a dermatologist had recommended that to me when I had the same problem many years ago! Thankfully the Palmer's Cocoa Butter worked to sooth the dryness and itching. It's been nearly a month now and her shins haven't completely recovered, but they're mending slowly but surely!

Other things I learned from the July '07 trip:

1. I must factor in more pool time for my youngest DD, the family mermaid!
2. Flip flops aren't the most practical shoes for the water parks - I hated walking around barefoot (too hot, just plain nasty), but for some of the rides I had to abandon the flip flops for fearing of losing them! Next time I will buy waterproof sandals or beach shoes that will be firmly attached to my feet at all times!
3. We will take our wide mouth refillable insulated water bottles and stock up on ice/ water at the refill stations in the park, instead of buying soda. Too much money, too much calories!
4. I will not forget the ponchos at the hotel and have to buy more at the parks!
5. Ponchos might actually be useful on those really wet rides!
6. I REALLY have to remind my easily distracted youngest DD every day - DO NOT WANDER OFF! Had a very scary episode at Sea World!
7. Buying a set of two-way radios is a lot cheaper than the HUGE phone bill that results from using the cell phones! The roaming charges were out of this world!
8. Write down the numbers from the Photopass cards, DH has no idea what he did with the ones DD was given at Blizzard Beach, so we couldn't check out the photos online!
9. Check out all the steps that need to be taken to take advantage of 2nd visit free deals at Sea World. We didn't realize that we needed to have our tickets validated at the end of our first visit. If DH hadn't found a receipt from the previous day's food purchase, we would have been denied admission on Day 2.
10. I will NEVER take a backpack to the parks in the July heat, unless I'm stashing it in a locker! Actually, I might consider renting a stroller just to lug around the stuff!
11. I need to save VISA's Global Customer Service number in my phone in the event that I need to make an insurance claim. I knew I had some insurance coverage because I used my VISA card to pay for air fare etc - I just didn't realize how much coverage was available. Hope I never need to make a claim, but I should have the number handy just in case!

That we don't really need the DP. If its free, fine. I'll take it. But we were so stuffed last year(our 2nd year on the DP) we couldn't even enjoy the booths at the F&W Fest. and this is part of the reason we go in October.

We've decided against the DP this year and even though i keep wanting to add it on(we LOVE to eat), I keep reminding myself what we were saying while we were there last year..."We aren't doing this again."....." I am so stuffed, I'm miserable"...."We do NOT need all this food".....yada, yada,yada,....

Otherwise, we also learned how much we like just taking it easy and not hurrying all over the place. We were so much more relaxed.:)

:rolleyes:
...that will make you do things differently on the next one.

The main thing I learned from my last trip this past March is that I shouldn't go w. 6 other girls. I'm an only child so I'm used to doing what I want...or at least having people w. me who are on the same page as me. It didn't happen during spring break. All 7 of us wanted to do different things so we ended up splitting up basically the whole time. The trip affected the relationships we had when we got back to Boston. And we all lived in the same suite haha! So this time when I go in August I'm going w. just one close friend who I know will want to have as much fun as I do!

Your turn! :goodvibes

What I learned from my disney trip was when you leave you want to go back the next day!!! You probably already knew that but you know it's true!!:rolleyes:

I learned the following:

1. Ordering those 4 cases of water to be delivered from Staples was an incredible idea (got that from the disboards). Saved me a small fortune in the park.
2. I need to pack packets of Sweet and Low for ice tea at TS meals. There is not a pink packet to be had on WDW property.
3. Pack packets of the raw brown sugar for my morning coffee. They don't have that anywhere at WDW either!
4. Oh and don't plan Character breakfast for the morning of a MK evening EMH. DH REALLY wants to attend that this trip and we were too tired this past trip. So that was a huge lesson for me...pull the Disney calendar for the time we will be attending before you schedule the ADR's.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter