What's So Special about Palo?

Jo-Anne

DIS Veteran
I'm obsessively planning for a Nov trip, and have taken a look at the menu for Palo. Just wondering...is it worth making the reservation....nothing on the menu jumped out at me as a "must-eat"! Can others convince me otherwise? I enjoy Italian, but this menu just didn't do it for me. Thanks, Jo

Jo-Anne, we are doing our 5th cruise and have not had dinner at Palo yet. I'm not one to do things just because the crowd is and like you the menu didn't just jump out at me.

We did do high tea at Palo in May 2001 because I'm a tea drinker and we had such a wonderful time doing high tea on our honeymoon back in 1990 at the Grand Floridian. It was a wonderful experience.

We have also taken a tour of the ship that included a visit to Palo and explained some of what makes it unique.

Palo is a wonderful, intimate, adults only resturant.

We are planning on doing dinner there this time.

If it sounds like something you'd like then by all means do it, You didn't say how long your cruise was but I would say if you are on the 3 or 4 day don't stress about it and enjoy your regular rotation. The choice is yours.

chocolate souflee. Had never had it before and it was GREAT!!!!

Although I enjoyed dinner there, I enjoyed the brunch even more. Whatever you do on your cruise, I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Donna

I agree with donna....although dinner was very good I prefer the brunch. Palo is a wonderful experience if you can fit it in....if you really don't care about it either way, just stay with your regular dinner rotation....I have friends who just do not care for Palo at all. It is just a personal preference thing again.

MJ

Originally posted by Jo-Anne
Just wondering...is it worth making the reservation....nothing on the menu jumped out at me as a "must-eat"!
Then, perhaps, Palo isn't for you. (Almost everything on the menu "jumps out" at me!) We all have different tastes in food.

Palo is not for everyone...just because people speak so highly of it, don't feel compelled to do it just because others have said that it is a must-do. For our first couple of Disney cruises, we didn't do it because we wanted to experience other things first. Now, it is a must-do for us except in special circumstances (like if the menus are changed in the main diningrooms and we want to check them out). And I must admit that the chocolate souffle is a dessertbowl of heaven. :D
But I know many people who could happily skip Palo and never miss it. Not everyone likes Northern Italian cuisine or feels the need for the fine dining/adults only experience. Look at it this way...if you skip it, it will be one less reservation to run for, and it will free up more time to do something else (dinner at Palo is usually longer than dinner in the main diningroom).
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

The biggest plus to me was being able to eat alone with DH.

I have to say, Im a plain eater and everything did look a little too fancy for me. I ended getting just a plain pasta dish that was delicious!!!! Our waiter brought us a sampler of all the appetizers and while they were good, nothing stood out as spectacular. The soup and salad were very good, and the entrees excellent. DH had the filet. For dessert we had tiramisu and chocolate souffle and they were both WOW!!!

I should add that we missed Palo on our first cruise because that was with our kids and my whole family so we stuck to the dining rooms for that trip, but on our second trip, Palo was my top priority. ;)

Eating alone with dh, eating with no other children in the restaurant, the souffles and the "atmosphere" all make the evening worth it in my book

I had the ravioli and dh had the tenderloin (which is what I'll get next time, it was outstanding). The service was excellent, the food was excellent and the dessert was OUTSTANDING.

On our first cruise, we didn't eat at Palo and didn't miss it. On our second cruise, our kids encouraged us to eat at Palo (they were spurred on by the DCL video), so we at there on the Thurs (Formal Night) of our cruise. We would not miss it again. Why?

*dinner with DH alone
*quiet atmosphere without the noise of the main dining rooms (dishes, kids, loud table beside ours...)
*service - second to none!
*chocolate souffle - oh my - decadent!
*entrees - we each had lobster (not on the menu, but as it was formal night it was the special, and was prepared at Palo, not the mass preparation in the dining room) and it was the best lobster I have ever eaten.
*menu - we enjoyed the Northern Italian menu.

I agree with everything Kendall said. Especially being able to have "adult time". The atmosphere and food are fantastic. I am not a big dessert person, so didn't really go nuts for the souffle, but the rest of the food is great.

I see that you are from the Toronto area (me too). Going to Palo is like going to Canoe. It is a once-in-a-lifetime experience (or second, or third... for some). Our server made us feel special and being so high up on the ship was great! It felt like a date for my husband and I.

Go for it!

I went with my DDs to Disney's Lizzie McGuire movie this weekend and I thought about how for now on when we are on the cruise my girls will think that Palo is named after the two-faced character (Palo) in the movie! I think they should have used another name for that movie charater!

DJ

Did I read in another thread that it is possible to go to Palo's for just a drink & desert?

:) That makes it sound less fattening too! Seriously, IDK how DD will do in the club & we want to go thru our regular rotation with the kids since this is our first cruise. If she does well, then we would be able to sample that chocolate suffle that everyone keeps raving about.

can you get the chocolate souffle in other resturants???

From what everyone has said, the chocolate souffle is only available at Palo's. There are other flavors available in the dining rooms.

I'd don't wanna go to Palo!!!!

-->Sorry very tired and a minor temper tantrum felt appropriate :)

For our first cruise I want to do the regular rotation...oh well...guess all the more reason to go back!!!

From what everyone has said, the chocolate souffle is only available at Palo's. There are other flavors available in the dining rooms.

but but but... I'd don't wanna go to Palo!!!!

Can you make a special request to either your server or head waiter for a helping of the chocolate souffle?

Now THAT would solve all the problems. Has anyone been able to do that??? :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter