When are you planning to return to DLR?

We hope to return soon after they open, whenever that will be. We just spent a weekend at WDW after a great dive trip to FL. Of course we had fun, but this was me after riding HM and POTC, “That ride is SO much better at Disneyland.” Plus I miss New Orleans Square. I hope we can all get back to our happy place soon!

We had hotel only (off-site) reservations for a week in December, two different weeks in January, and a week in February. The hotel had it so you could cancel the day before with no penalty so I was planning on going whichever week came up first as open. I cancelled all of this after the news conference last week.

We won't go during the want months while wearing masks, we wear masks for all outings and work here in Washington and I can handle limited amount of time in them. On the other hand my daughter can wear one all day with no issues. She's a trooper!

As of right now we are planning on December 2021 for her birthday. We haven't been in December for 8 years so it's time for us to go back for the holiday's.

All of that being said, I would still go if they opened up now. We'd wait until the weather was cooler but I'd have no problems going to the park.

We hope to return soon after they open, whenever that will be. We just spent a weekend at WDW after a great dive trip to FL. Of course we had fun, but this was me after riding HM and POTC, “That ride is SO much better at Disneyland.” Plus I miss New Orleans Square. I hope we can all get back to our happy place soon!

Yes, the DLR original is around 14 minutes long while at WDW it's 7 minutes! Literally half the ride is gone at WDW. HM is a toss up, the WDW version has its own mojo going for it, but you also can't beat the New Orleans style mansion vibe.

I am moving to southern CA in the new year, so whenever they start selling APs again I’m in.

I feel comfortable visiting if I live nearby and can return often. I would not feel comfortable basing an entire vacation around Disney until there is a widely available vaccine.

Good luck. I honestly don't see how any DLR APs are going to get reservations for the park. It will book up in less than 30 seconds, and that's IF you had a pass already. If things get back to "normal" AND they resume the sale of new APs, I'd be scared to see what DLR is like with the massive crowds coming back, and honestly, they will be worse than ever because so many people have been cooped up not doing anything fun really and Disneyland will become THE PLACE to be.

There's been talk Disney moves away from APs, but I think this is the PERFECT time to move away from Monthly Pass payments. Disney will not need to do this anymore. The demand to get into the park is spiked so high right now that asking full price is the right balance to keep attendance at even manageable levels. At the very least, they can let most grandfather their way in, but any sales of new passes should not have the Monthly option at all.

Yes, the DLR original is around 14 minutes long while at WDW it's 7 minutes! Literally half the ride is gone at WDW. HM is a toss up, the WDW version has its own mojo going for it, but you also can't beat the New Orleans style mansion vibe.

Good luck. I honestly don't see how any DLR APs are going to get reservations for the park. It will book up in less than 30 seconds, and that's IF you had a pass already. If things get back to "normal" AND they resume the sale of new APs, I'd be scared to see what DLR is like with the massive crowds coming back, and honestly, they will be worse than ever because so many people have been cooped up not doing anything fun really and Disneyland will become THE PLACE to be.

There's been talk Disney moves away from APs, but I think this is the PERFECT time to move away from Monthly Pass payments. Disney will not need to do this anymore. The demand to get into the park is spiked so high right now that asking full price is the right balance to keep attendance at even manageable levels. At the very least, they can let most grandfather their way in, but any sales of new passes should not have the Monthly option at all.
I am an AP holder and think you are right and once things are back to "normal" DL will be packed. But then I think that DL/vacations might not be something people will be planning on doing right away only the crazy people. By crazy people i mean me because no matter how packed i will be there. I have handled Halloween crowds and Christmas crowds so i am prepared.

I do think something will happen with the AP system and a change will be implemented somehow. If they move to have AP make reservations it will be tricky. I do think having people pay for the AP upfront will lower the amount of APs but is that something DL really wants to do?

Just to clarify: Disneyland has already announced that everyone, including APs, will be on the new reservation system when the parks reopen. You can find this information on the DLR website and on the app.
Yes i think i had read that somewhere/ Probably on here but forgot. It does seem a bit tricky still because if I have a Sig+ and should be able to go whenever but now if all reservations are taken I will not be able to go any day. Basically all AP are now worth what the flex is worth.

Yes i think i had read that somewhere/ Probably on here but forgot. It does seem a bit tricky still because if I have a Sig+ and should be able to go whenever but now if all reservations are taken I will not be able to go any day. Basically all AP are now worth what the flex is worth.

If Disneyland doesn't reopen until the spring or summer as some are speculating, everybody's AP will have expired because the park will have been closed for one year or more. I think Disney's only choice might be to end all APs and issue refunds and start from scratch at that point either with no AP program for at least a while or with a very modified program that is designed to work with the limited entry reservation system that likely will have to be in place for a year or more. That will be a huge hit to their cash to issue so many refunds, but it's hard to see what else they can do at that point.

I'm wanting to go end of May. With this vaccine coming out, I'm hoping schools go back indoors at the end and May isn't the zoo June will be. Either that, or I'm waiting until October so that some of the parades and night shows are back. Of course, DL was super cheap about allowing those to happen BEFORE coronavirus. It may be years before we see extras offered in the parks. Not because of the virus but because of the accountants.

I'm wanting to go end of May. With this vaccine coming out, I'm hoping schools go back indoors at the end and May isn't the zoo June will be. Either that, or I'm waiting until October so that some of the parades and night shows are back. Of course, DL was super cheap about allowing those to happen BEFORE coronavirus. It may be years before we see extras offered in the parks. Not because of the virus but because of the accountants.
Since there isn’t currently a plan for vaccinating children under 16 and they estimate spring-summer as the likeliest timeframe that most adults will be able to get a vaccine if they want to, I think it’s very unlikely schools are going to open this school year. Even if the vaccine roll out goes perfectly and transmission was down enough by spring to consider opening schools I doubt schools would bother for only a month of two left in the year.

I’m hoping for October 2021.... if things like Halloween Party, parades, and fireworks are back. In addition, I make this a mixed trip and usually spend a considerable amount of time at Halloween Horror Nights and Knott’s Scary Farm. If both of those don’t happen for 2021, even if Disney is in full swing I might hold off...

One thing I've been thinking about as I try to make my final decision for planning our summer trip (DL or WDW?) is the constraints Disneyland still might have to contend with even if they are open. Does anyone remember that large list of requirements Newsom's team released to Disneyland back before guidelines were released? From what I remember, they were pretty tough- much tougher than what we saw WDW implement even when they first reopened.

We already know based on what experts are saying (let's not go down the rabbit hole so I'll make this quick) is we might still be looking at Fall for 'normalcy' to begin to resume. If that becomes the case, I can't imagine Newsom relenting any of those hard restrictions once Disneyland is allowed to open. So if you are planning for summer, they will probably be open, but under what type of restrictions?

Just something to keep in mind for those that need to plan in advance. At this point, I keep leaning towards WDW for that reason. Obviously we just don't know anything yet but my personal speculation is we're going to see them open with tough guidelines. And depending on what those are, this might really impact the experience. (Obviously, this is coming from an out of state perspective when you may only visit occasionally to begin with..) I think WDW did a good job balancing the safety guidelines so I hope it just looks similar to that... and not more restrictive.

We are looking at summer... we have Canadian residents tickets from last spring and because of job restrictions (I'm a teacher so tied to the school year) summer is basically our only option.
We understand everything might not be the same... but we hope many things are. Overly optimistic? Perhaps. Depending on how it goes we may move it later or just hold on to them... we don't want to lose the value of our tickets (ie park hoppers and so on). But we can handle masks and signing up in advance and those kinds of things. It will all just depend, but we are really hoping for August.

We are looking at summer... we have Canadian residents tickets from last spring and because of job restrictions (I'm a teacher so tied to the school year) summer is basically our only option.
We understand everything might not be the same... but we hope many things are. Overly optimistic? Perhaps. Depending on how it goes we may move it later or just hold on to them... we don't want to lose the value of our tickets (ie park hoppers and so on). But we can handle masks and signing up in advance and those kinds of things. It will all just depend, but we are really hoping for August.

I'm hoping for August too!

Let's keep our fingers crossed. We did WDW last month and it was great even with the restrictions and masks- we had a wonderful time and I don't think it impacted the magic at all. I'm just worried Disneyland's restrictions might be tougher because of the stricter state government regulations but we'll see! I just remember reading in that list the governor released talked about that piece about only reservations for people close to the parks, etc. I just wonder what will carry over from that or if we'll see the tier system tossed out by then.

Depending on how it goes we may move it later or just hold on to them... we don't want to lose the value of our tickets (ie park hoppers and so on)
We are in the same boat when it comes to the Canadian resident tickets, but as far as I understand even if a expiration date occurs to those tickets they still retain the value, you might have to pay extra to cover any sort of cost increase but you will not be out any money.

We are in the same boat when it comes to the Canadian resident tickets, but as far as I understand even if a expiration date occurs to those tickets they still retain the value, you might have to pay extra to cover any sort of cost increase but you will not be out any money.

Yes that is what we understand as well. I meant we want to go and don't mind some restrictions but don't want to lose money because of them. Value would have been a better word. Like, we purchased park hopper. If park hopper isn't allowed then we would rather hold onto those tickets until later.

I'm hoping to go when they open again. This is the first year since I started going to Disneyland that I didn't go once. I'm really missing it.

We are hoping for Thanksgiving week 2021. We were supposed to go that week this year, so we're just pushing it up a year. However, it's likely that we'll be in southern CA this summer visiting family and friends. If DLR is open then in a capacity we're ok with, it's going to be really hard for us not to go for at least a day or two. We'll see.

Right now, I'm hoping to replace what was supposed to be a Memorial Day 2020 visit with a Memorial Day 2021 visit. We rescheduled three times before ultimately just deciding to wait to hear what they do. WDW's 50th Anniversary starts next year at some point. We might try to do that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter