• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

When do you realistically think ABD will start operating again?

I got the same e-mail for our NZ ABD scheduled for March, 2022. Hopefully our trip goes -- I booked our airfare yesterday! Though if we have to wear masks I will be cancelling and looking to instead to book a private trip (assuming that NZ is open for tourism). Ds and I will both have been fully vaccinated by then.
Although what I would think that you mean is "assuming that NZ is open for tourism and not requiring masks in public places." ABD is not the only one requiring masks during these trips. Just because you are taking a private trip does not mean you won't have to wear a mask around your private guide or other tourists you encounter, and the workers at the places you go, etc. New Zealand has been one of the most fiercely protective countries out there, and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Sayhello

Last edited:
sharing FYI - got an email from AbD this morning re my mid-October trip. They’re adjusting the final PIF date to 65 days ahead of departure date, so not due until August for me. Nice, as hopefully by then they’d know for sure whether it was happening or not.
Received a similar email this morning with regard to our July Rhine River cruise.
Me, too. @Mathmagicland are we on the same trip? Oct. 14 Rhine?

Although what I would think that you mean is "assuming that NZ is open for tourism and not requiring masks in public places." ABD is not the only one requiring masks during these trips. Just because you are taking a private trip does not mean you won't have to wear a mask around your private guide or other tourists you encounter, and the workers at the places you go, etc. New Zealand has been one of the most fiercely protective countries out there, and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Sayhello
Good point! That is indeed what I meant. Right now I am just hoping that our trip is a go and that we won't have to wear masks because I am really, really looking forward to this brand new ABD -- the itinerary looks amazing:flower: :flower: .

We just hit strike four. When ABD rolled out the (now totally cancelled and removed) river cruise on the Rhone River, we booked the inaugural trip. Cancelled. Rescheduled. Cancelled. Rescheduled. All Rhone trips cancelled. AMA waterways then offered the cancelled trip dates on their roster. We booked the May trip that was exactly a year after the first attempt. Today, AMA cancelled all trips through the end of May. I don't think we will be trying this again! This trip was not meant to be. It doesn't look like this impacts ABD as they don't currently show any May trips operating on river cruises. So we decided to book the AutoTrain with a bedroom and use the vacation time to tour the backroads of Florida and the keys in May with our use or lose vacation time.

We just hit strike four. When ABD rolled out the (now totally cancelled and removed) river cruise on the Rhone River, we booked the inaugural trip. Cancelled. Rescheduled. Cancelled. Rescheduled. All Rhone trips cancelled. AMA waterways then offered the cancelled trip dates on their roster. We booked the May trip that was exactly a year after the first attempt. Today, AMA cancelled all trips through the end of May. I don't think we will be trying this again! This trip was not meant to be. It doesn't look like this impacts ABD as they don't currently show any May trips operating on river cruises. So we decided to book the AutoTrain with a bedroom and use the vacation time to tour the backroads of Florida and the keys in May with our use or lose vacation time.
So sorry to hear this! I suspect river cruises won't go until the late summer at the earliest. Europe is still worrying about a 4th wave and they haven't had the vaccine rollout like we have. It's going to be some time before they open to international travelers. But ABD will wait as long as possible to cancel and hold on to the money.

SO sorry to hear this. :( A year ago, who imagined it would be 2021 and we'd still have no idea when Europe will re-open to American tourists? I'm so sad you two won't be able to do the Rhone. Maybe someday down the road. Enjoy the Keys!

Sayhello

Technical question, when they say "within 5 days" for a covid test, do you count the day of travel? Say my trip starts on a Sunday, does the 5 days prior start Tuesday or on Wednesday? Seems like a silly question but it does make a bit of difference when trying to figure out the timing of getting the test, getting the results, etc when you want to arrive a few days before the actual trip start date.
:scared:

Technical question, when they say "within 5 days" for a covid test, do you count the day of travel? Say my trip starts on a Sunday, does the 5 days prior start Tuesday or on Wednesday? Seems like a silly question but it does make a bit of difference when trying to figure out the timing of getting the test, getting the results, etc when you want to arrive a few days before the actual trip start date.
:scared:
I don't think any of us know that yet. That would be a question for ABD.

Sayhello

Posting an FYI for anyone on the fence or considering an ABD US-based adventures this summer - I was on the phone with AbD yesterday (Thursday) and the CM mentioned the recent Arizona/Utah adventure which went mid-March and just completed. She said it went very well. She also said their summer US adventures are filling quickly with many waitkist or not too many spots left.

Be sure to plan a day at Dry Tortugas National Park in the Keys. Not easy to get to (boat or seaplane), but an unbelievably beautiful and fascinating place.
I agree! We visited Key West last fall and loved our day trip to Dry Tortugas. Be warned if you get seasick, though - many people were really sick on the way back but the crew handles it REALLY well. If possible, opt for the seaplane and avoid the waves!

I agree! We visited Key West last fall and loved our day trip to Dry Tortugas. Be warned if you get seasick, though - many people were really sick on the way back but the crew handles it REALLY well. If possible, opt for the seaplane and avoid the waves!
Thank you and Lucky Belle for the recommendation - we plan on spending a day there. Really appreciate the idea.

Ditto on Dry Tortugas! We did the seaplane - it was a great experience!
I cannot thank these Boards enough over the years for great guidance and recommendations. Went to book the Dry Tortugas this morning for a midweek visit in May. Booked up! Also had a small charter sailboat with Captain and Mate for 48 hours at sea planned. Booked up! Made some additional adjustments and was able to get both by starting a day earlier. And my wife said we had plenty of time to decide.....um, apparently not.

As cancellations for some/many/most of the summer 2021 adventures are rolling out, I’m curious what others think: which international trips trips do you think are most likely to go in 2022?

All of them?
Land based single country only?
Just the countries who will be able to do a quick vaccine roll out?

We are hoping to do ABD Japan sometime in 2022 but will slower vaccine roll out and public sentiment there being what it is, I’m thinking there maybe more cancellations in 2022.

Hopefully I’m wrong 🙏

We are hoping to do ABD Japan sometime in 2022 but will slower vaccine roll out and public sentiment there being what it is, I’m thinking there maybe more cancellations in 2022.

I just booked Japan for August, 2022. No one can predict the future but I’m hopeful things will open up by then. Vaccines should be plentiful by then in modern countries. I also think the Olympics will be a big test for Japan this summer. Even though international spectators will not be there, just having an event like that occur will hopefully be a big boost in confidence. Of course, if there are major outbreaks during the Olympics it will be probably have the opposite effect. Who knows!

Yesterday we booked Japan for July 2022 and New Zealand for December 2022... half-way expecting one or both of these may not go, so we are mentally prepared to have back up plans.

We asked our vactionista how the "group bonding" that we have become accustomed to with ABD is able to happen with social distancing. FWIW she said so far the Costa Rica trip in progress has gotten good feedback for balancing the two. She also mentioned that if 2 bookings want to travel together as a pod they are making note of that. I'll be curious to hear how this plays out in other countries/urban destinations.

Also - New Zealand would be our family's first time trying an Adventure over the holidays... my oldest will be in high school by then and I was curious how others with teenagers have found traveling internationally over the holidays? Stress around final exams nowadays seems much more intense than when I grew up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter