When do you think the border will reopen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My understanding of how they are enforcing it, is for land crossings only. It sounds like no one is stopping you from flying to the U.S., and if you are a citizen, they can’t stop you from returning. You are still subject to 14 day quarantine upon return.

Westjet just announced they will be flying to LA, Vegas, Atlanta, Orlando, and New York beginning at the end of June.
They are being very strict upon entry into Canada. They will checkup on you to make sure you are in quarantine and if not you can be fined $750,000 for not complying. In mind it really isn't worth the hassle to travel outside of Canada for the time being.

They are being very strict upon entry into Canada. They will checkup on you to make sure you are in quarantine and if not you can be fined $750,000 for not complying. In mind it really isn't worth the hassle to travel outside of Canada for the time being.
Depends. If you can work from home, it’s not too bad. I know someone who was allowed to travel throughout, and served about 3 quarantines as he went back and forth. He just worked from home while in Canada. (Grocery delivery, no visitors)

I heard late July for opening the border. The question is how long quarantine will be coming home and will we be able to get health insurance?

I heard late July for opening the border. The question is how long quarantine will be coming home and will we be able to get health insurance?
I fully expect the quarantine to last til a vaccine or better treatment comes available. My work insurance will cover Covid-19 for me but not sure about other companies.

Well, the US/Canada border closure has been officially extended to July 21. Out of stubbornness, I haven't cancelled my Aug 1-15 resort reservations at Disney World, but at this point I'll be surprised if the border opens before fall, and probably not even then.

I saw a headline a couple of days ago saying that Covid19 cases in both California and Florida are on the rise, so deep down I know that I won't be taking a trip to either Disney World or Disneyland this year. Heck, I can't even get a Disney fix by going to one of the Edmonton Disney stores, since both are still closed.

OK, I'll end my "First World problem" rant now...

Well, the US/Canada border closure has been officially extended to July 21. Out of stubbornness, I haven't cancelled my Aug 1-15 resort reservations at Disney World, but at this point I'll be surprised if the border opens before fall, and probably not even then.

I saw a headline a couple of days ago saying that Covid19 cases in both California and Florida are on the rise, so deep down I know that I won't be taking a trip to either Disney World or Disneyland this year. Heck, I can't even get a Disney fix by going to one of the Edmonton Disney stores, since both are still closed.

Hey, everything on this Board is a "First World Problem" after all 😉 This is our safe place to commiserate!

Hey don't feel bad, I still haven't gotten over my April 2020 trip I had to cancel. I have a reservation for November but that one won't happen either. I'm just holding onto it hoping for a discount of some sort from Disney. (I know I'm dreaming...)

We have a DVC reservation for September and it's not looking to great. We're holding out until the next border announcement until we cancel. The cases in Florida are going up but remember their population is significantly more than Ontario. We're prepared to wear masks and sanitize everything but it's the 14 day isolation that is killing us. We can't afford to take an additional 14 days after our vacation (work would not approve) ... 'first world problems' but we miss the magic!

We have a DVC reservation for September and it's not looking to great. We're holding out until the next border announcement until we cancel. The cases in Florida are going up but remember their population is significantly more than Ontario. We're prepared to wear masks and sanitize everything but it's the 14 day isolation that is killing us. We can't afford to take an additional 14 days after our vacation (work would not approve) ... 'first world problems' but we miss the magic!

I’ve heard that argument about the population of Florida being higher etc. That would only explain them having more cases then us. But the thing you need to pay attention to is cases are going up, not decreasing or staying flat. This means that it’s getting worse, that the virus is spreading instead of being contained.

I’ve heard that argument about the population of Florida being higher etc. That would only explain them having more cases then us. But the thing you need to pay attention to is cases are going up, not decreasing or staying flat. This means that it’s getting worse, that the virus is spreading instead of being contained.
Look at Ontario. May not be the same population but our numbers with more testing has declined and holding steady below 200 for the past week. That's a huge difference.

I have a friend who lives in the Orlando area, she is a nurse (on the maternity ward, not dealing with Covid patients per se), she has two kids, one of whom has diabetes and the other has asthma and she is happily reporting their schools will return to FULL time in August :rolleyes1 :(:rolleyes2 Seriously?

I believe Quebec plans for pretty much full time school in the fall. I read they are going to do "pods" for the kids, so they will have a group of 6 kids they can socialize with, but the rest they have to stay away from. All I can say is, I hope the 6 kids like each other. My kid is rather particular about who he will sit beside or do things with in school and I can't imagine the horror if he got put with a group of girls (or the one boy who he constantly fights with). With the principal and resource teacher leaving the school, I'm not sure who would be there to ensure a proper grouping. But that's Quebec, and I bet Ontario will have a different plan. Hopefully we find out next week!

As for the border, I agree with most that it is probably safer, but it is unfortunate for those with family on the opposite side. Yes they can cross, but with isolation mandatory on arrival, I am sure it's hard for them to make the visits.

I’m in the same boat, Aug 2-15 reservation. Haven’t canceled yet. They keep extending border closures, at least this time they didn’t make us wait till June 21 to hear about extension. But they’ll probably extend July 21 closure too.
If we have a 2 week quarantine coming home that’s a deal breaker for us too. Dd can’t take 4 weeks off work for a 2 week vacay.
We have the Canadian tickets, and flights booked too. So won’t loose anything more if we cancel now vs canceling a week before Vacay.

I hear you! We originally had August 5-15 booked for San Diego and Disneyland. With staff shortages at my work and the 14 day quarantine it looks like we won’t be going. I’ve cancelled the hotel but am hanging onto the tickets and flights “just in case” even though I know “just in case” isn’t happening. It just all makes me so sad :sad1:

I agree.I think it's happening everywhere,but especially in the U.S. JMO
I don't think we really are doing that here. As a country we have been very cautious in opening things. I for one love how Ontario has been handling this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter