When do you think the border will reopen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm booked for September. So lots of time for the spike to happen and go down 🤪 I saw that they are making masks mandatory, so hopefully that helps.

My brother & SIL are planning on coming up in July; so I'll see first hand what a 14 day quarantine is like. (Even though we keep hoping that it will be lifted or modified) They are staying at least 3 weeks; so that they have a week out of quarantine and can actually see family & friends.

I don't see it opening any time soon. Every month I keep looking in hopes I can get back to work soon and every month goes by my income and career are going out the window. Been unemployed over 3 months now. Anyone hates the main line carriers still thinking it's a government subsidy and wants it shut down you are all getting your wishes but it also comes at a cost of thousands of Canadians on EI. I can't even go back to school and do something else because of my age. Who wants to hire someone fresh out of school who is only going to be around 10 years at best until retiring? The only job leads I've found where packaging chocolates in a factory that pays minimum wage. Even the EI top up because the company I work for and our beloved government decided only pilots and flight attendants and every other department qualified for wage subsidy except for the mechanics, that measly little 500 a week barely covers our mortgage and taxes and we have another 8 years to go before our house is paid. Sorry for the rant but the only people that want the borders to remain closed are the people still working or retired and don't have to worry about how they will be paying their bills and not going bankrupt by the fall. Sorry for the rant but this has broken me to the point there is nothing left to hold out for

I don't see it opening any time soon. Every month I keep looking in hopes I can get back to work soon and every month goes by my income and career are going out the window. Been unemployed over 3 months now. Anyone hates the main line carriers still thinking it's a government subsidy and wants it shut down you are all getting your wishes but it also comes at a cost of thousands of Canadians on EI. I can't even go back to school and do something else because of my age. Who wants to hire someone fresh out of school who is only going to be around 10 years at best until retiring? The only job leads I've found where packaging chocolates in a factory that pays minimum wage. Even the EI top up because the company I work for and our beloved government decided only pilots and flight attendants and every other department qualified for wage subsidy except for the mechanics, that measly little 500 a week barely covers our mortgage and taxes and we have another 8 years to go before our house is paid. Sorry for the rant but the only people that want the borders to remain closed are the people still working or retired and don't have to worry about how they will be paying their bills and not going bankrupt by the fall. Sorry for the rant but this has broken me to the point there is nothing left to hold out for
I’m so sorry . I think people just aren’t aware of the economic nightmare this is causing for some. We are going to see it more and more and I think we really need to think hard about what we are saying when we say we don’t want to see the borders open or our communities to get back to work.
My opinion has evolved along with this pandemic and I worry about the economic realities facing Canadians just as much as the virus these days. We could be a year or more away from a reliable vaccine that we can all get our hands on. Its easy to shrug our shoulders when we talk about the tourism industry but its a huge employer in the area where I live and those people will start losing their homes and be unable to pay their bills if it goes on much longer.
I don’t want to see people sickened or dying from COVID, I don’t want to see people losing their homes and businesses ..there just doesn’t seem to be a right answer for everyone.
I’m truly sorry for your worry and stress right now @Pinkgurlshubby.

I’m really sorry for your situation. But please don’t be mad at us. Be mad at the clowns ruining things in the US. They are acting like it’s nothing and will likely only be a matter of time before some hospitals are at capacity there. We can’t allow tourists from the US to come here when they can’t even control things in their own country. If they had taken things more seriously and not made the pandemic some political statement we would be close to opening things up.

I’m really sorry for your situation. But please don’t be mad at us. Be mad at the clowns ruining things in the US. They are acting like it’s nothing and will likely only be a matter of time before some hospitals are at capacity there. We can’t allow tourists from the US to come here when they can’t even control things in their own country. If they had taken things more seriously and not made the pandemic some political statement we would be close to opening things up.
In fairness, we are closed to many more countries than the US. We could see a small bump in recovery if we were to open up to countries who have their act together.

Last edited:
yeah and that would be a good idea.
I agree as well. I think we should be opening our borders who have been taking this seriously all along (such as New Zealand and Australia for example) but until the 14 day quarantine is lifted.....that is the tourism killer right there. They NEED to find a different way to approach it for sure.

I agree as well. I think we should be opening our borders who have been taking this seriously all along (such as New Zealand and Australia for example) but until the 14 day quarantine is lifted.....that is the tourism killer right there. They NEED to find a different way to approach it for sure.

Interestingly I’m just watching on the news that the EU is considering banning people from the US, even after they open to other countries.
Maybe we can open a Canada / EU bubble and we can all go to the parks in France lol.

It would be interesting to know how many of the people who've done their 14 day quarantines have actually come down with Covid.

****EDITED TO ADD my own comments for clarity
The map was put together in the USA and because of that they are the ones who made that clear demarcation line sooo blunt. Most of The dots within Canada are for each province as a whole! Sooo for example the one for Ontario is waaay too far from the actual border. *****

My heart breaks for those who are truly suffering right now because of the border closures and i do not for one moment want to distract from that pain. I do however want to share something i found tonight that took my breath away. This is a screenshot from the Johns Hopkins University COVID Dashboard and Interactive map. Look at the USA and South America, then look at Canada. Red indicates cases of COVID 19. There is a clear demarcation at the USA-Canadian Border.

If anyone want to look at this website it shows some very sobering numbers
https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.htm...HTII45_eFUu3fvVnRtJ3V1h14l5Z5zOl3a8hviJ3SNlqI

Last edited:
Hopefully everyone stays smart and vigilant. Stuff like the crowding at Toronto's Cherry Beach just cannot be allowed to happen right now. Too much at risk given how far we've come.

That’s chilling. What is even more chilling is watching how political this has become in the States and how misleading the messaging has been in some states.
We need to stay closed. I hate that we do, but look at that map. :sad2:

I can’t wrap my head around how they can make a pandemic so political. I mean we are talking about people actually getting really sick or losing their life. I just don’t get it.

And I have to say I love how we can have these discussions about borders, masks, and opening things up and it doesn’t get nasty or political!!

Seeing what's going on in Arizona, Florida, etc.. I sort of hope they keep the border closed until the end of the fall at the earliest. Assuming that the second wave doesn't hit which could extend it further.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter