When do you think the border will reopen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@pigletto Maybe you could find him a cute Canadian outfit and send it down to your Sister so she can have a piece of Canada with her.

Quite honestly, my kids have an orthodontist appointment next week in Maine, and... I'm nervous crossing the border for that.
Umm..wife wife works in that field..they can go without the appointment for some time..even with a broken bracket...do you really think its worth the risk...not

Umm..wife wife works in that field..they can go without the appointment for some time..even with a broken bracket...do you really think its worth the risk...not

I wasn't worried about as worried about contracting as much as just crossing the border I guess - the hassle etc... The area where their appointment is has only had 24 cases since this started. So realistically, there is absolutely no more risk going to their orthodontist appointment there, than there is here. That said, there is still a slight... I don't even know what the word is I'm looking for. But, an unpleasant feeling with just the very idea of stepping foot onto US soil with things as they are currently.

But all moot, we're not going - I was under the impression that medical appointments were exempt from the 14 day isolation, however they deemed orthodontics as non-essential so... we're up the proverbial creek until the border re-opens. Which means finding a new orthodontist unfortunately.

Last edited:
But all moot, we're not going - I was under the impression that medical appointments were exempt from the 14 day isolation, however they deemed orthodontics as non-essential so... we're up the proverbial creek until the border re-opens. Which means finding a new orthodontist unfortunately.

The only people who are exempt from the 14 day isolation requirement when entering Canada are certain essential workers providing specified critical services. The exemptions are listed here: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-hea...infection/latest-travel-health-advice.html#a3 If exempt they are required to practice physical distancing and self monitor.

The only people who are exempt from the 14 day isolation requirement when entering Canada are certain essential workers providing specified critical services. The exemptions are listed here: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-hea...infection/latest-travel-health-advice.html#a3 If exempt they are required to practice physical distancing and self monitor.

Medical travel is exempt (from the website):

[Persons who] have to cross the border to provide or receive essential services

Many people have gone state side for medical. No quarantine required.

Last edited:
True. And what is not on there is me..I work in Funeral Services, kind of essential. We still transport across border, but we are required to go straight to the home across the boarder, no stopping, and turn around right away. Lets say we make sure fuel filled, and no coffee before crossing is very important.

True. And what is not on there is me..I work in Funeral Services, kind of essential. We still transport across border, but we are required to go straight to the home across the boarder, no stopping, and turn around right away. Lets say we make sure fuel filled, and no coffee before crossing is very important.

See above. Medical travel IS exempt. Per the website, confirmed twice with CBSA themselves.

Has there been any announcement about whether the border closure will continue beyond July?

We kept waiting in case things worked out but I said back in March that I would be shocked if the border was open before the end of the year and especially before school was back in session. Once school goes back it will eliminate a lot of the discretionary travelling.

Westjet just cancelled all the flights to Orlando till school starts, so that officially cancels our end of August vacation. Can't believe we have already had 4 Disney vacations cancelled.
I just saw that they cancelled my flights to California as well. They didn't notify me, I just happened to check my WestJet app. I'm not seeing a travel bank or credit to my visa. I'm currently on hold with them but thought I'd see what your experience was? Did they cancel an existing flight you had booked?

I just saw that they cancelled my flights to California as well. They didn't notify me, I just happened to check my WestJet app. I'm not seeing a travel bank or credit to my visa. I'm currently on hold with them but thought I'd see what your experience was? Did they cancel an existing flight you had booked?

They didn't cancel according to Westjet, they offered to switch to a flight with delta, with a layover instead of a direct Westjet flight. Hoping they don't try to say that I chose to cancel, so that I can't get a refund. I did receive an email from Expedia saying that my flight was changed and did I want to accept the change or cancel. It is not a change, it is a flight cancellation, so I hit cancel and if westjet fights it I will do a dispute with my credit card which I have already won against Air Transat.

They didn't cancel according to Westjet, they offered to switch to a flight with delta, with a layover instead of a direct Westjet flight. Hoping they don't try to say that I chose to cancel, so that I can't get a refund. I did receive an email from Expedia saying that my flight was changed and did I want to accept the change or cancel. It is not a change, it is a flight cancellation, so I hit cancel and if westjet fights it I will do a dispute with my credit card which I have already won against Air Transat.
Interesting. I booked directly through WestJet and when I log into my account on the website it says 'cancelled' in red beside all of my flights but I haven't received any communication to let me know what will happen now. I assume travel bank, which is fine, but I'd like to hear it from them! I also have DH booked using credit card points on the same flights but haven't heard from them either. I see a lot of time on the phone in my future.

I don't understand why in the states they will not do what is proven to work: wear masks, use hand sanitizer, social distancing. Our numbers in Alberta are very manageable.
In a nutshell the country has become so broken and divided politically that absolutely everything has become a political battle ground. You need a coordinated effort on all levels of government to enact an effective pandemic response. It wont happen when the powers that be are so divided .

Wow , McMaster is doing on line fall courses no one is going back to campus. This is Hamilton.

My daughter is a 3rd year nursing student , they can’t tell her how her clinical will be done. 1 and second year will only have theirs second term none in the fall. This will be hard since it is a hands on course.
My daughter is a second year Nursing student at Mac and though she understands why her clinical has been cancelled for first semester, she's not happy about having to do it over the Spring/Summer session next year--especially since she was planning to work at our local children's centre with medically fragile children this summer and next. That was cancelled for this summer because of Covid 19, and if she's in a hospital one day a week next summer, I can't see them allowing her to work then, either.

Good luck to your daughter with her Nursing studies.

Reactions: NAB
...Starts looking at flight alternatives if they (Westjet) cancel my flight in September :P I'd like to use my flight credit... but I'll fly another airline if I have to.

Oh wow, yup they totally cancelled the flights to Orlando out of my city as well. We had cancelled our flights anyway a couple weeks ago (aiming for April, but not booking until things look better). The only way to get there seems to be a 4 stop layover trip that takes 20 hours! No thanks lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter