When do you think the border will reopen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep they cancelled the direct flights from YVR to MCO as well. We cancelled ourselves about 3 or 4 weeks ago, might as well have just waited for WJ to do it 🤷 As of now, the only flights with WJ out of YVR are to LAX until the Labour Day weekend.

I had flights to Honolulu booked on Westjet at the end of August, these were tickets that were booked on vouchers from a May flight to MCO that was canceled. I booked through Expedia and there website shows that my flight is still a go, but on the Westjet site all flights to HNL have been canceled until Labour Day weekend. Does anybody know how long it will take for expedia to contact me about the canceled flight?

Westjet just cancelled all the flights to Orlando till school starts, so that officially cancels our end of August vacation. Can't believe we have already had 4 Disney vacations cancelled.
I checked my Halifax to Orlando on the weekend. Now going thru Toronto a day earlier???
Return currently shows direct. Likely to change. Cancelled Disney yesterday.

Or visitors' idea of quarantine isn't quarantine. More of a 'how can I fit this into our vacation plans' notion. Neighbours had cousins from Scotland and their kids over for a few days. Overheard neighbours say they were driving to another city to 'quarantine' for a more few days with another household in the family. Umm, no. Quarantine should mean isolate in a hotel room or remote camp or cabin. Not hopscotch spread the virus across the province.
This is what really annoys me. We were in Mexico when this all started, when we left there were no advisory's etc but just after we got down there cases started to spread and rules were being put in place. Before we came home I had my son set the basement up so he didn't have to come upstairs. He stocked the fridge for us etc and we stayed home for 14 days. Was it hard sure it was but that is what we needed to do so we did it.

When we came off the plane into YVR they didn't have the process they have now where I believe you have to give them your plan etc, we just had to agree on the immigration screen that we would no go anywhere once we got home. If everyone would just follow the flipping rules set in place by each province we could be doing better with our cases etc.

As much as I want to get back to Disney or to Mexico, I don't see that happening until there either is a vaccine or we see a huge change in numbers and attitude of people taking this more serious.

Sorry Ill get off my high horse now :earboy2:

This was the PM's response this morning when asked about the ongoing border restrictions with the US:

“Every month we have been able to extend the border closures to all but essential goods and services, and those discussions are ongoing with the United States right now, as we are a week from the next deadline for closures.”

When asked what his thoughts are around extending the closure beyond the July 21 deadline, Trudeau said he and his US counterpart “pledged to continue to monitor closely the situation that is constantly evolving.”

The situation, he said, is one that is “rapidly evolving, and therefore we need to keep responding to the situation on the ground.”

As such, Trudeau said the federal government “will be discussing with our American partners what the next steps should be, and we will have more to say later this week, I’m sure.”

In the meantime, he added, “we’re going to continue to work hard to keep Canadians safe and to work hard to keep our economies flowing.”

Uh....is he waffling??? He's not waffling right now, RIGHT???? I can understand a non-committal response until the 'official' word comes down but this is sounding a bit wishy-washy to me.

It isn't like he can come out and say "yeah they are nuts if they think we'll open the border any time soon!" If they are negotiating, they can't do that. He can't afford to piss off the US, or those sections of our own country that want things to "go back to normal" flat out. We, as a country, do a lot of business with the US, it isn't a good idea to say the wrong thing. So yeah, I'd like them to keep it closed, but that may not happen. It would suck for the country if the US comes flooding in, but I think it's much more likely we go flooding down there and then come home.

No, I agree with you @hdrolfe he can't say "they are losing control down there", he has to be diplomatic about it. I just found it.....I don't know.....let's say a little less 'firm' of a stance than in previous conferences. But I'm sure he will extend it past July 21st.

This was the PM's response this morning when asked about the ongoing border restrictions with the US:

“Every month we have been able to extend the border closures to all but essential goods and services, and those discussions are ongoing with the United States right now, as we are a week from the next deadline for closures.”

When asked what his thoughts are around extending the closure beyond the July 21 deadline, Trudeau said he and his US counterpart “pledged to continue to monitor closely the situation that is constantly evolving.”

The situation, he said, is one that is “rapidly evolving, and therefore we need to keep responding to the situation on the ground.”

As such, Trudeau said the federal government “will be discussing with our American partners what the next steps should be, and we will have more to say later this week, I’m sure.”

In the meantime, he added, “we’re going to continue to work hard to keep Canadians safe and to work hard to keep our economies flowing.”

Uh....is he waffling??? He's not waffling right now, RIGHT???? I can understand a non-committal response until the 'official' word comes down but this is sounding a bit wishy-washy to me.

Trudeau knows that he is dealing with a spoiled toddler. He won’t come out and say anything about the closure now because that toddler could throw a tantrum just because he didn’t like that something was said. I’m positive the border will stay closed but officials won’t say anything publiclY to avoid drawing any attention to it. That way the adults can have conversations and work together.

I heard a few days ago that the U.S. was pushing to open the border, so if he's "waffling", it may be because he doesn't know if Canada is going to be able to keep the border closed.

Sorry... stupid globe and mail keeps telling me I have to make an account to read the article. Was that for real or just speculation that it's going to happen?
Just speculation. First paragraph:

The Canada-U.S. border will remain temporarily closed to non-essential travel until at least Aug. 21 amid Canadians’ concerns about surging COVID-19 cases in the United States, according to sources.

Yep they cancelled the direct flights from YVR to MCO as well. We cancelled ourselves about 3 or 4 weeks ago, might as well have just waited for WJ to do it 🤷 As of now, the only flights with WJ out of YVR are to LAX until the Labour Day weekend.
This just happened to us for our August flight on WestJet Toronto to Orlando. We booked direct and they had a change for a stop in Atlanta. We did a decline (would have cancelled anyways). Think this gets us WJ credit for up to 12 months? Or is it 24 months?

Think this gets us WJ credit for up to 12 months? Or is it 24 months?

Stupid website doesn't tell you when your travel back expires, but I checked the email from my cancelled April trip and it was 2 years. I used most it to rebook for September. One more month to find out if that's a go..or cancelled 🤪 (the flight - I'll still find a way to go if the parks are open)

This just happened to us for our August flight on WestJet Toronto to Orlando. We booked direct and they had a change for a stop in Atlanta. We did a decline (would have cancelled anyways). Think this gets us WJ credit for up to 12 months? Or is it 24 months?
My WestJet travel bank is good for 24 months so I'd think yours would be too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter