When do you think the border will reopen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Opening the borders but keeping a mandatory 14 day quarantine is akin to allowing restaurants to open, but only serve one table at a time. It would be lip service on the part of the provinces. I understand the concern, and it is a difficult situation to navigate, but keeping quarantine restrictions in place means 95% of people that might consider crossing the border, be it for a trip, shopping, or otherwise, would technically not be able to. Unless they disregard the quarantine. I understand that there's a segment of society that insists everyone should stay put until there's a vaccine, but that's not going to happen, for many reasons. Perhaps the recent push to allow the Govt to use personal cell phone GPS data for tracking purposes has something to do with potential border re-opening, among other things.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/cana...-provincial-data-shows/ar-BB13q0rI?li=AAggNb9Very eye opening information in that article. The vast majority of our travel related cases came from the USA. Look at those stats and tell me if we should be opening our borders for travel and shopping and leisure. Personally I think SOME of the states are opening too soon with very little thought to what that’s going to mean for a second wave and further spread. I’d rather see how that plays out before opening our borders with the US. I live 25 minutes from New York State bordering Erie county where the numbers of positive cases are very high. It would be very bad for Niagara to open up any time soon in my opinion.

Last edited:
Very eye opening information in that article. The vast majority of our travel related cases came from the USA. Look at those stats and tell me if we should be opening our borders for travel and shopping and leisure. Personally I think SOME of the states are opening too soon with very little thought to what that’s going to mean for a second wave and further spread. I’d rather see how that plays out before opening our borders with the US. I live 25 minutes from New York State bordering Erie county where the numbers are positive cases are very high. It would be very bad for Niagara to open up any time soon in my opinion.
My Mom, aunt& Uncle caught it from another family member who was from Wisconsin when they were in BC for their brother's memorial service. We found out about 6 days after Mom got home that this particular person had tested positive upon her return to the US. We found out about the positive test just before everything broke loose and we started to isolate. But it was too late for my family members, when we found out about the positive test result, all three were already starting to not feel well. They are all now fully recovered!!!!

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/cana...-provincial-data-shows/ar-BB13q0rI?li=AAggNb9Very eye opening information in that article. The vast majority of our travel related cases came from the USA. Look at those stats and tell me if we should be opening our borders for travel and shopping and leisure. Personally I think SOME of the states are opening too soon with very little thought to what that’s going to mean for a second wave and further spread. I’d rather see how that plays out before opening our borders with the US. I live 25 minutes from New York State bordering Erie county where the numbers are positive cases are very high. It would be very bad for Niagara to open up any time soon in my opinion.
I scanned through the same article this morning. I tend to take them somewhat with a grain of salt, as they're easy to misconstrue the numbers. Obviously the largest number of cases is going to come from travel to the US, because that's where the largest amount of Canadian travel occurs. I note that the article didn't mention the number of people who've travelled to each area as a baseline to come up with a percentage. For example, when you look at the numbers for Ontario, US travel is 3.2x the number of cases compared to ones to the UK. Makes it sound like the US is 3.2 times as bad as the UK. But in reality, let's hypothetically say the US sees 100 times the number of visitors than the UK does (made up number, not based on any stat, just being used for mathematical demonstration purposes). Based on that the UK would be 31 times as bad to visit at the US.

Not that there's anything wrong with the data. We all know the US isn't exactly great at keeping this contained, and I'm not advocating to open the border. Just trying to put in perspective the way facts can get skewed, based on the angle you look at them. For example, from this site:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coron...ompare-canada-and-other-key-nations-1.4881500
Here's how the chart looks when you look at totals:

Looks like the US is absolutely horrendous compared to everyone else, but when you change the option at the top to compare based on a the average over 100K:

Suddenly things take a different picture.

I scanned through the same article this morning. I tend to take them somewhat with a grain of salt, as they're easy to misconstrue the numbers. Obviously the largest number of cases is going to come from travel to the US, because that's where the largest amount of Canadian travel occurs. I note that the article didn't mention the number of people who've travelled to each area as a baseline to come up with a percentage. For example, when you look at the numbers for Ontario, US travel is 3.2x the number of cases compared to ones to the UK. Makes it sound like the US is 3.2 times as bad as the UK. But in reality, let's hypothetically say the US sees 100 times the number of visitors than the UK does (made up number, not based on any stat, just being used for mathematical demonstration purposes). Based on that the UK would be 31 times as bad to visit at the US.

Not that there's anything wrong with the data. We all know the US isn't exactly great at keeping this contained, and I'm not advocating to open the border. Just trying to put in perspective the way facts can get skewed, based on the angle you look at them. For example, from this site:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coron...ompare-canada-and-other-key-nations-1.4881500
Here's how the chart looks when you look at totals:

View attachment 491819

Looks like the US is absolutely horrendous compared to everyone else, but when you change the option at the top to compare based on a the average over 100K:

View attachment 491821

Suddenly things take a different picture.
I do agree with you and I completely understand that the data needs to be read correctly. The fact remains that the majority of our travel related cases came from the US before those borders were closed and Canadians will continue to travel to the States more , and be exposed while the disease is still a risk in the US. I’d like to how their opening strategy performs before we even think about opening up for shopping , travel and leisure.

I’d like to how their opening strategy performs before we even think about opening up for shopping , travel and leisure.

This!

I just want to see how this all plays out over the summer. I'm sure their July 4th holiday will be one big celebration, liberating everyone from Covid-19. While Canada Day will likely be squashed LOL

You know I’m sorry for those people with family on the other side of the border that they can’t visit. But right now we can’t visit family that lives down the street from us. So why should you be able to come into Canada to visit family? We are all dealing with this sad reality.

Honestly I hope they keep the Canadian border closed to all but essential travel. Especially after the data coming out that most of our travel related cases comes from the US. Many US states are no where near to having things under control and these protests and push to open things quickly is not good.

They need to keep the border shut until there is proof things are good.

I cant see the current PM halting immigration that long. And if immigration is considered essential, a Canadian returning home to Canada to visit family better also needs to be consided essential.

We are not supposed to visit family living in the same city? Why would they consider someone from outside the country essential?

This!

I just want to see how this all plays out over the summer. I'm sure their July 4th holiday will be one big celebration, liberating everyone from Covid-19. While Canada Day will likely be squashed LOL
They have already said Canada day Fireworks are going to virtual only. Its mind blowing how quick they want to open the parks in the U.S. but here they have cancelled most large gatherings for the year.

I do agree with you and I completely understand that the data needs to be read correctly. The fact remains that the majority of our travel related cases came from the US before those borders were closed and Canadians will continue to travel to the States more , and be exposed while the disease is still a risk in the US. I’d like to how their opening strategy performs before we even think about opening up for shopping , travel and leisure.
Agreed!

We are not supposed to visit family living in the same city? Why would they consider someone from outside the country essential?

My point was that when the government deems it safe to welcome non citizens from other countries for immigration purposes, they darn well better welcome their own citizens to return home (for whatever purpose).

Last edited:
You know I’m sorry for those people with family on the other side of the border that they can’t visit. But right now we can’t visit family that lives down the street from us. So why should you be able to come into Canada to visit family? We are all dealing with this sad reality.

The difference is, you CAN.

You may be going against a government directive in doing so (and subjecting yourself to a fine if caught) but Homeland Security or the Canada Border Services Agency will not be stopping you from accessing those family members. They will most certainly be stopping US.

Canadians are still allowed to enter Canada at the border (it's unconstitutional to block your citizens from entering the country) but you need to have serious plans for how you will quarantine yourself for 14 days. But unless you have dual citizenships, Canadians coming back to Canada won't be allowed to go back to the USA and will have to stay in Canada until the border re-opens on the American side. Same is true the other way around. Americans living in Canada are allowed to cross the border to go back to the USA but won't be allowed to come back to Canada until the border is re-opened.

The difference is, you CAN.

You may be going against a government directive in doing so (and subjecting yourself to a fine if caught) but Homeland Security or the Canada Border Services Agency will not be stopping you from accessing those family members. They will most certainly be stopping US.
Gina I do understand and sympathize. My sister is still a citizen but married an American last October and they work and reside in Tampa . It’s very hard on us as well as she’s pregnant with her first baby and it’s looking like not only will none of us be able to see her while she’s pregnant , we won’t be able to see our new nephew/grandson right away . She’s feeling lonely and isolated and scared . I can only imagine that will increase after she has a baby and won’t have any idea when her mother and father or sisters and brothers can come . She could come back as a citizen but has no health care here anymore. Her husband is surgeon in a major Florida hospital , and there are several nurses and doctors in my immediate family including my mom and brother. We would love to go see her but even when we can , none of us could quarantine for the weeks required for such a visit .

My point was that when the government deems it safe to welcome non citizens from other countries for immigration purposes, they darn well better welcome their own citizens to return home (for whatever purpose).
You’re able to come now . You would need to quarantine and stay once here .

You’re able to come now . You would need to quarantine and stay once here .

As I'm sure you understand, that's obviously not an option for most Canucks who live outside the country. We have homes here. Jobs. Pets. Our healthcare is in the USA.

So while my point is being twisted a bit (as I expected it would be), the end effect still remains true. The poster I responded to can visit her family down street and then return to her own home when she's done. Until the border reopens, we do not have that luxury. So when someone tells me "it's no different than what we are currently dealing with", it needs to be pointed out that its VERY different.

As I'm sure you understand, that's obviously not an option for most Canucks who live outside the country. We have homes here. Jobs. Pets. Our healthcare is in the USA.

So while my point is being twisted a bit (as I expected it would be), the end effect still remains true. The poster I responded to can visit her family down street and then return to her own home when she's done. Until the border reopens, we do not have that luxury. So when someone tells me "it's no different than what we are currently dealing with", it needs to be pointed out that its VERY different.
Yep I get it. And it sucks.:sad2:

So because I can “get away” with something I’m not supposed to do. It’s different? No it’s not. It’s not supposed to be done period.

We are all in the same situation. And as long as the US doesn’t have things under control then no they shouldn’t allow non essential to enter. And while you may WANT to visit family. No it’s not essential.

We are all having to face upsetting issues. Like my friend who is a new grandma and can’t visit her first grandchild living in the same city. But we have to, in order to keep people safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter