When do you think the border will reopen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really feel for snowbirds. This may be their first winter in a long time staying home. I know of several couples not going for sure. For us, we always look forward to escaping winter for a few weeks, but that may not be possible this year.☹

My parents just bought their first set of winter tires for their 10yo SUV. They usually leave Nov 1st and come back for Easter, but not this year.

Actually, now that I think about it, the first of December may be a little more accurate. They don't want to be too overt and transparent with their announcement. That might really enrage people. They'll probably make an announcement a couple of weeks later that the border will be opening Dec. 1, or maybe Jan. 1.
I’m supposed to be in Universal Nov 28. Fingers crossed they open Nov 21. It’s always been the 21st each announcement for extending closure. Current one is until Sept 21. I’m not overly optimistic that it will open in 2020 :sad1:

...below are the new covid cases which were reported yesterday (Tuesday July 7th) in different jurisdictions.

60,021 - United States (8.8x the population of Canada) 30x
- California (1.05x the population of Canada) 35x
7,347 - Florida (0.6x the population of Canada) 50x
1,010 - Orange County, California
(0.085x the population of Canada) 50x
- Orange County, Florida (0.037x the population of Canada) 40x
- Canada

The number in RED gives an indication of how much worse the jurisdiction is doing when compared to Canada, taking into account population size.

Seven or so weeks have gone by since I did the above calculation, so I thought I'd do an update. I don't trust the current statistics for "new cases", so in the following I'm using a death count rather than a new case count.

The deaths in each jurisdiction are:
- the 7 day moving average of daily deaths as of yesterday (August 26) in the US, Canada, California, and Florida
- yesterday's reported death count for Orange County, California
- 14 day average death count for Orange County, Florida

966 - United States (8.8x the population of Canada) 16x
124 -
California (1.05x the population of Canada) 17x
114 -
Florida (0.6x the population of Canada) 27x
7 - Orange County, California
(0.085x the population of Canada) 12x
26 - Orange County, Florida
(0.037x the population of Canada) 100x
7 -
Canada

Compared to seven weeks ago, the US is, overall, doing better, although it is hard to reject the conclusion that Orange County Florida is doing much worse as a result of the Florida theme parks reopening.

I don't think Canada will consider opening the border until the statistics for Canada and the US are much closer.

This is so depressing. We should have been on a plane right now, landing in Orlando in 1hr and heading straight to Disney World. Although improved, I think we're still a long way off from opening the border.

This is so depressing. We should have been on a plane right now, landing in Orlando in 1hr and heading straight to Disney World. Although improved, I think we're still a long way off from opening the border.

We have historically gone to DL in August so my Facebook memories this month have all been about Disney trips! 9 years ago today we took DS to Disneyland for his very first trip. :sad:

We have historically gone to DL in August so my Facebook memories this month have all been about Disney trips! 9 years ago today we took DS to Disneyland for his very first trip. :sad:

Mine is too, last year and three years ago. We weren't supposed to be going this year, but this would make me wish we were planning a trip for next summer. Which I'm not comfortable doing yet.

Hopefully it will be open soon. We may not be welcome up there, but all Canadians are welcome down here.
Actually only by plane. And many places a quarrantine required. All canadians are not allowed to cross at land borders. Only essential services. People that have property an hour away in USA are turned away. Spouses are turned away. Although we allow spouses from usa to come to Canada as long as they quarantine.

I think it's the attitude of many Americans that it's their right to come here and do what they want, which makes many canadians say screw it we'll travel elsewhere when this is all over.

What really worries me is that I am going to have real difficulty persuading my travel buddies to come with me when, eventually, the border is opened. Their view will be that flying to Europe for holidays would be more appealing.

While I feel sorry for snowbirds, they are pretty much the last population that should step foot in the United States . I think even when the border opens that vulnerable populations will need to exercise extreme caution.
Yeah, this is really going to affect some of the full time RVing snowbirds, who don’t have a permanent address here. There are lots of people who relied on being able to go south when their seasonal parks close here.

Mine too. August is typically our Disney trip month as well. We were supposed to be there and back already for this year’s trip. We’re hopeful that next August finds us back in DL.

I made the mistake of looking up wait times for this week since we were supposed to be there, and the most depressing thing is seeing like 10 min waits for FOP and such. I hope low wait times continue when it’s eventually ok to go. I know they won’t stay this low, but I can’t really see those 180 min wait times for a couple years

I made the mistake of looking up wait times for this week since we were supposed to be there, and the most depressing thing is seeing like 10 min waits for FOP and such. I hope low wait times continue when it’s eventually ok to go. I know they won’t stay this low, but I can’t really see those 180 min wait times for a couple years
Yeah, pretty low waits. Today was our Magic Kingdom day. And don't even know when we'll get back. We had this trip planned perfectly with a 4 day cruise following the parks as it worked well with it being a leap year (i.e. so extra year of summer). I sadly joked that we can reschedule in 4 years, but our DS will be married then (not quite....but you get my point)

Me too :( I can’t remember an Aug we haven’t been in Florida and WDW. All of Aug my FB has my memories. Sad we had to cancel this Aug but seeing all those happy photos does make me smile!

We've gone to Disney every August or September since 2005, so I share your pain. We're 10 days away from what would have been our next trip. *sigh*

As I am reading the FAQ, it specifically says NO USA lol. It's only for the listed locations in the Caribbean and Mexico.

Seven or so weeks have gone by since I did the above calculation, so I thought I'd do an update. I don't trust the current statistics for "new cases", so in the following I'm using a death count rather than a new case count.

The deaths in each jurisdiction are:
- the 7 day moving average of daily deaths as of yesterday (August 26) in the US, Canada, California, and Florida
- yesterday's reported death count for Orange County, California
- 14 day average death count for Orange County, Florida

966 - United States (8.8x the population of Canada) 16x
124 -
California (1.05x the population of Canada) 17x
114 -
Florida (0.6x the population of Canada) 27x
7 - Orange County, California
(0.085x the population of Canada) 12x
26 - Orange County, Florida
(0.037x the population of Canada) 100x
7 -
Canada

Compared to seven weeks ago, the US is, overall, doing better, although it is hard to reject the conclusion that Orange County Florida is doing much worse as a result of the Florida theme parks reopening.

I don't think Canada will consider opening the border until the statistics for Canada and the US are much closer.

I really don't see it happening until next spring. I mean, it's definitely not going to be this fall, because numbers aren't good enough. And then odds are it's not going to be during winter (cold/flu season), either, due to increased risk, and the chances that we'll all be heading for a second spike. So, realistically, I just don't see it opening until the end of the cold/flu season which means next March/April.

Mine is too, last year and three years ago. We weren't supposed to be going this year, but this would make me wish we were planning a trip for next summer. Which I'm not comfortable doing yet.
Actually only by plane. And many places a quarrantine required. All canadians are not allowed to cross at land borders. Only essential services. People that have property an hour away in USA are turned away. Spouses are turned away. Although we allow spouses from usa to come to Canada as long as they quarantine.

I think it's the attitude of many Americans that it's their right to come here and do what they want, which makes many canadians say screw it we'll travel elsewhere when this is all over.

I think there are many aspects of all of this that make Canadians, and many others from around the world, say they'll be travelling elsewhere when this is all over. I've read some good articles this summer discussing how ultimately, the US has become the world's laughing-stock, and how the "American Reign" has ended. It's no secret that the world's view of the US has definitely been declining in the last few years, and Covid definitely worsened that. As far as travel, we (Canadians in general) have always been more than happy to give Americans our travel money because they offer something we just don't have (warm sunny beaches and Disney - okay, two things, lol) and travel and shopping is much cheaper there. Which is really the main reason for many. As a bonus, traveling to the US is preferable to some over going anywhere else because it's safe, familiar and comfortable, since it's not too different than home. However, I think the American response to Covid really was a slap in the face in many ways to our country, and others, and have really made us rethink our impressions of the US, and our own values as far as what we want to support/don't want to support via our dollars etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter