When to cancel?

I’m sure they would! But the possibility of suspending banking even when it’s before my banking deadline really rubs me the wrong way. If my trip is in May and my banking deadline is August, why shouldn’t I be allowed to bank the points if WDW stays closed? It’s not extending my points any longer than I could have done normally if this trip hadn’t been planned. It just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I’m sure it’s the right decision for Disney financially but it’s not just.

Honestly, and this is just my opinion, the suspension of banking and/or borrowing would not happen right now. I think it would not happen until this is all said and done and they know exactly whether or not suspending that is needed. If the closure goes on for just a few weeks..highly unlikely...but if it did, there would be no need.

I think that maybe this is why the newest information is that they are no longer allowing things they did last week because they are trying to prevent needing to do that down the road.

Maybe time to get ingenious and find creative ways to help members.

Well, like I said, if there is something legal that can be done, I am sure it will. We do know that anything they come up with is not really "they", it would be all the "owners" covering it in some way shape or form.

Honestly, and this is just my opinion, the suspension of banking and/or borrowing would not happen right now. I think it would not happen until this is all said and done and they know exactly whether or not suspending that is needed. If the closure goes on for just a few weeks..highly unlikely...but if it did, there would be no need.

I think that maybe this is why the newest information is that they are no longer allowing things they did last week because they are trying to prevent needing to do that down the road.

I hope so! I spent about 6 hours on 3/7 rescheduling our May cruise, our post-stay to cover the time we should have been on the cruise, flights, etc. so we wouldn’t have to do a split stay with our kids. I’m not sure what to do because I really do think the parks will be closed for much longer than the currently announced date.

If you had 5/14 to 5/22 booked, would you cancel now and bank the points to be used towards an extra night or two (or three) in January? Or would you wait and risk losing the points?

As a new DVC owner, I’m way too new at this to know the ins and outs.

I hope so! I spent about 6 hours on 3/7 rescheduling our May cruise, our post-stay to cover the time we should have been on the cruise, flights, etc. so we wouldn’t have to do a split stay with our kids. I’m not sure what to do because I really do think the parks will be closed for much longer than the currently announced date.

If you had 5/14 to 5/22 booked, would you cancel now and bank the points to be used towards an extra night or two (or three) in January? Or would you wait and risk losing the points?

As a new DVC owner, I’m way too new at this to know the ins and outs.

I just canceled my March 29th trip and rebooked it for August. I also have May 17th to May 21st booked as well. I am holding out to cancel that until I know we can't go. But,I can rebook those points for either a July trip...or, I will use them to enhance the size of the room I have booked for a stay in June!

Since some of those points are borrowed, I know I have to use them as they are part of my Aug UY. So, no sense in worrying until I have too!

Since your asking . I would pull the plug. I'm not a gambler. No one seems convinced that this is under control. Best of luck. We have a bounce back at the end of May and a bounce back in early Sept. Since we made deposit only we will decide the day before if we pull the plug.

Since your asking . I would pull the plug. I'm not a gambler. No one seems convinced that this is under control. Best of luck. We have a bounce back at the end of May and a bounce back in early Sept. Since we made deposit only we will decide the day before if we pull the plug.

I’m also not a gambler and pulling the plug is where I’m leaning. With work and young kids, we have no other times we can go this year other than May and Thanksgiving. And just Thanksgiving wouldn’t use our full points since we have a rescheduled Disney cruise in there, too.

Thank you!

I’ve been waiting for an announcement on the 8 week recommendation. It should just make it possible for our May trip but now I’m antsy. I’ve been hearing that, if this drags on, DVC could potentially suspend all banking. I don’t see us using all of our points on just our Thanksgiving trip. I had hoped to bank some by switching our November reservation at the 7 month mark and using those “extra” points for an extra night in January (we have a December UY).

If we cancel May, I won’t need the extra points and would just bank the May points to be used in January. I’m now concerned they may suspend banking and I’ll be stuck with extra points I can’t use plus having to borrow to add on a night in January.😢

Can DVC unilaterally suspend banking points from a legal stand point? If so, can it be done without any notice? (Disney is known for raising ticket prices without notice, right?) I might just cancel my reservation now since my borrowed points won't be able to go back to original UY anyway. Plus, it's highly unlikely my DCL sailing can proceed as scheduled, so I really don't have a need for this reservation any more.

LAX

New DVC owner here. We have a trip planned for 5/26/2020-5/31/2020. The trip was booked with 2021 points, and we have a April use year.
I am seeing mixed reports regarding if I cancel, will my points return to the 2021 use year? Or if they do not return, and stay in 2020 use year do I have to use the points that I borrowed before April 30, 2021?

Can DVC unilaterally suspend banking points from a legal stand point? If so, can it be done without any notice? (Disney is known for raising ticket prices without notice, right?)
I don’t see why they can’t suspend banking with no notice. I would find it wrong, as I’m sure would others, but I think the contract gives them the right to suspend banking. I’m not 100% sure on that, though.

I ended up canceling last night. If, by some chance, schools open back up, I can’t justify taking my young kids out of school again for a trip. I just banked some of the May trip points so I could get a bigger unit for November and an extra night for January for the 2 bedrooms. Now I don’t have to worry about changing the January reservation at 7 months to get the extra night.

New DVC owner here. We have a trip planned for 5/26/2020-5/31/2020. The trip was booked with 2021 points, and we have a April use year.
I am seeing mixed reports regarding if I cancel, will my points return to the 2021 use year? Or if they do not return, and stay in 2020 use year do I have to use the points that I borrowed before April 30, 2021?
I don’t know. I’ve seen some people saying they were returned to the use Year they were borrowed into and others saying they were returned to the original use year.

This is the Imperial College research that is now shaping UK and reportedly (it was supplied to the US and quoted by one of the US scientific advisory team).

Very much worth reading.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/im...tPDo9ngRtorb2GKDUNO4S-jGvWuTLCUk06aOfeoQIyddo
This is a graph of what could happen from the report in my post below this one. Note the second huge peak although they do suggest measures to mitigate in the report so the graph is in the context of the report.

I am now in doubt my Xmas trip over from the UK will take place, never mind my July trip:

Last edited:
Just got off of the phone with DVC reservations. Only had to wait about 5 minutes to get though. She said that as of 6:30pm yesterday the DVC executives reversed what they were doing as far as banking points back into the next year if borrowed and if you cancelled less than 30 days they will not go into holding. They will stay in current use year and will go into holding if less than 30 days. She also said talking to a supervisor will not help. I did express that rules need to apply equally to all owners the same and not only to those that called earlier to cancel. You could get the sense that they were not happy with the change that was made yesterday.

Just got off of the phone with DVC reservations. Only had to wait about 5 minutes to get though. She said that as of 6:30pm yesterday the DVC executives reversed what they were doing as far as banking points back into the next year if borrowed and if you cancelled less than 30 days they will not go into holding. They will stay in current use year and will go into holding if less than 30 days. She also said talking to a supervisor will not help. I did express that rules need to apply equally to all owners the same and not only to those that called earlier to cancel. You could get the sense that they were not happy with the change that was made yesterday.

Doesn’t surprise me they will create an unsustainable problem. They should maybe spread cancellation points over, say, 5 years.

I am a little irritated with DVC right now. I called Monday to cancel our March trip (before they announced closing) and they agreed to keep my 57 2019 points in my 2019 year and the 7 2020 I borrowed back into 2020. They said they would be in holding for a few days and then moved. They are still in holding and now I am being told it will be 30 days before they are moved, which means I can’t reschedule. I also decided to cancel my June trip since the CDC said it could be 8-20 weeks before they think gatherings will be OK. my June trip was to VCG and we are east coast, so I can’t wait until the last minute to buy airfare, and since I am a breast cancer survivor still on meds and Have high BP , I’m in the slightly higher risk category. So, I don’t feel it is prudent to anticipate traveling. I’d rather aim for 2021. They told me my borrowed points would have to stay in 2019 if I cancel. I get it, I do, but this is not just canceling because I changed my mind. It’s canceling because of my health and the inability to plan as a result of a global pandemic. It’s the 1st time I’ve really been disappointed in the response. I’ve been told no before on things and accept it, but I’m having a hard time with this one.
I am in a similar boat. My 7 month window opens in a few weeks for my November trip so I am hoping my points are out of the holding account by then. I kind of assumed though that if I just called member services on the day my booking window opens they would make the ressy for me if the points were not moved by then.

It appears they are no longer making an exception and putting borrowed points back, like they were last week for owners. So, if that is indeed the policy, then your points are now in your April 2020 UY and will expire March 31st, 2021.

It is really too bad that those same executives had not thought through the decision to bend the rules in the first place. To granting, as someone else said, some pixiedust on members for like, 4 days, and then taking it away when things seem worse, is just a way to create even more frustration.

Holding really is the only thing, IMO, that ever should have been relaxed to at least allow owners to rebook for the summer/fall, when there is a good chance we will be getting back to life as we knew it by then.

It is really too bad that those same executives had not thought through the decision to bend the rules in the first place. To granting, as someone else said, some pixiedust on members for like, 4 days, and then taking it away when things seem worse, is just a way to create even more frustration.

Holding really is the only thing, IMO, that ever should have been relaxed to at least allow owners to rebook for the summer/fall, when there is a good chance we will be getting back to life as we knew it by then.

Yep. It's too bad for people like me. My trip dates were March 27-April 1. I just called and was told that the 69 borrowed points from 2020 would stay in 2019 and have to be used by Aug. 1. 69 points is nearly half my allotment. I waited to call because I knew they were getting slammed and people were reporting success with borrowed points going back into the original year. Nice guys finish last, right?

Guess I'm trying my luck with going to WDW when it's hotter than Satan's sphincter.

This is extremely frustrating. Did anyone get the email this afternoon? I understood it to mean that all points would go back into your current UY (which I understand to mean they will not put borrowed points back) but they will not put them in holding? Am I reading it correctly? Like others, the holding status is frustrating because if and when I cancel, I want to be able to immediately book a trip for later in the year.
Dear Members,
In an abundance of caution and in the best interest of our Members and Cast Members, we have closed the theme parks, water parks and ESPN Wide World of Sports at Walt Disney World Resort from March 16 through March 31, 2020. Additionally, Disney owned-and-operated hotels and Disney Vacation Club resorts at Walt Disney World Resort, as well as Disney’s Vero Beach Resort and Disney’s Hilton Head Island Resort, will close beginning at 5 p.m. on Friday, March 20 through the end of the month. At Disney Springs, we will be closing all Disney owned-and-operated locations beginning Tuesday, March 17, through the end of the month. For the latest Walt Disney World Resort travel information update, click here.
Should you have a reservation at a Disney Vacation Club resort during this timeframe, you have the following options available if you wish to change your plans:
Many reservations can be canceled or modified on the Member Online Booking Tool.
If you take no action and do not check in as scheduled, your reservation will automatically be canceled.
In light of the unusual circumstances and to provide more flexibility, Disney Vacation Club will return your points to your current Use Year without placing them into holding.
If you have a future stay at a resort in the Disney Collection, any reservation points will be returned to you for your future enjoyment.
For the latest DVC travel information update, click here.
We thank you for your understanding during this unprecedented time.

Sincerely,
Re reading it- I guess it just means to reservations that are through the current closed period. Should and when Disney extends their closing, the holding status should be lifted.
Disney Vacation Club

Anyone concerned about their may trip? I have one planned for may 10th. Debating on moving it yet or not. The problem is I don't have enough points to book a backup delayed trip for June or July unless I cancel my may trip. Id rather not do that because the resorts I want are mostly booked up (and id miss flower and garden). Some resorts are still available for June and July (but it also costs more points). I wish they'd announce decisions for may right now. What to do??
CDC just announced a recommendation of 50 people or less gatherings for 8 weeks. That puts us at the 2nd week of may which happens to be the day before my trip. Oh boy. I suspect an announcement from Disney by tomorrow on that.

We also arrive on the 10th, finally in our home resort Copper Creek. We aren't sure what to do at this point. My son and his wife have their park shoot (had the fairy tale wedding back in June) that week as well. We just don't know what to do. Put AP's expire in May and this was going to be the last trip. Hopefully we can flatten the curve and everything will open up again soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter