• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

When to wear a birthday button

I'm in the "wear it on your birthday" club, but we're going during my birthday so I intend to just wear it that one day. On the other hand, I have three first timers with me and we're celebrating our 11th anniversary about a month early. A CM and I were talking and got the whole scoop behind this trip and went "I'm going to make a note to make sure you have -all- the buttons you guys are entitled to!" and I'm moderately terrified there's just going to be an avalanche of buttons when we open the door.

Our trip will be close to my kids' birthdays (within a week or so), as well as my nephew's (within a couple weeks), and we're going to designate one day for each child to be recognized as the birthday kid, complete with the button and a special shirt! I have a feeling we'll also be the family where everyone has the first visit buttons of the whole week, though!

When is it appropriate to wear a birthday celebration button? Only on your actual birthday? All week if your birthday falls during your trip? What if your birthday is a week before or after the trip? A month after? Just getting opinions here! Thanks!

I feel there's a real obvious answer to this question.

went on Nov 16, and when I checked into resort and she looked at my ID noticed I had had my birthday Nov 4. Without me saying a word she gave me a birthday button. I thought it was odd but nice, and wore it both days I was there. Got lots of Happy Birthdays from CM and a little plate of chocolates at Tiffins dinner on a Happy Bday plate.

I go for my birthday every December and I wear my birthday button the entire trip. I seldom get freebies--a card from Belle and the Beast at BOG, a cupcake and card at Tusker House--but I really enjoy getting the "Happy Birthdays". It just makes me feel good. :)

I'm more of a wearing it only on my birthday sort of person. For me it feels more special if it is just on my birthday.
But that's just me! If you wanna wear that button your whole trip or not on your birthday go for it! After all it is really just a button.

Sometimes my yearly Jan birthday trip happens to fall on the week of my actual birthday but sometimes scheduling just doesn't allow it. This year I will be there the week prior to it. Sometimes it is the week after. I wear my birthday button the whole trip, no matter which week it is. There are so few times in life that I get to feel like a kid again and getting tons of birthday wishes makes me happy. Plus, I'm an attention hog. :) I say do what makes you happy!

Maybe it's different in disneyworld, but we went to Disneyland for my son's 7th birthday 2 years ago. he wore a shirt I made and a birthday button (it was his actual birthday) and I don't recall anyone wishing him a happy birthday. No one asked about our first visit buttons or celebrating buttons either. it was just something fun to wear.
We are planning a disneyworld trip in september 2018. it will fall about a month before his 11th birthday. my 2 nieces and nephew who will be there also have October birthdays, so I think we're going to plan separate days to celebrate their birthdays, complete with birthday button even though it's not their actual birthday.

Wear it whenever you want. I personally wouldn't wear one unless it was within a few weeks to a month before or after my birthday. my daughter born in January won't wear one and my other son born in may won't either. we all will be rocking our first visit buttons for the length of stay though.

It all depends on your level of comfortablity (? 'cause that's totally a word)

Personally, if I'm in a Disney park within a few weeks either way of my birthday (but more likely just within the month of May), it becomes a "Birthday trip" and I'll wear the button for a few of the days we're there (it gets too tiring saying all those thank you's to wear it every day). My birthday's May 28th, so it's rare I'll be IN Disney ON my birthday since I'd rather go earlier in May to avoid crowds

Thus, I say, if it's within your birth month, go for it!

I've been a couple of times over my birthday week and worn the button for the duration of our trip.

I have to say wear it on your actual birthday only.

Me too. I don't get it? It's a birthday button... you wear it on your birthday... not on days when it is not your birthday. Why would you want people to say happy birthday to you when it's not your birthday?
If it makes you happy, then I guess go for it, but personally I'd be uncomfortable and wouldn't.

When I celebrated my 40th Birthday at WDW, I tried wearing a button, but I thought it was creepy with all the strangers telling me "Happy Birthday."
Because I'm a teacher and my daughter's birthday falls at the beginning of the school year, we may never make it on her actual birthday. She celebrates her birthday every time we go and usually wears a button the entire trip. She just celebrated her 21st birthday there, and her boyfriend's button said he was celebrating her birthday. However, she usually takes it off for dinner when she is tired of cupcakes.
So... I vote wear it whenever you want...

When is it appropriate to wear a birthday celebration button? Only on your actual birthday? All week if your birthday falls during your trip? What if your birthday is a week before or after the trip? A month after? Just getting opinions here! Thanks!

Whenever you want.

If you're celebrating your birthday while there, wear it.

If you're not, if you just want to do it because it's there to be done, well, wear it if you REALLY want to. But people might very well say "Happy Birthday" and some even do ask when it is, or they'll say "oh it's my b'day too, isn't it great to be a 'whatever'-day baby", etc. If you don't want that, don't wear it.

Even if it IS your birthday, if you don't want that, don't wear it.

I don't love that sort of stuff, so even if I'm there on my b'day I don't tend to wear it. (though I totally did at Disneyland when it was my actual b'day during the free birthday YOAMD time) DH and I waited to celebrate an anniversary until we were at Disneyland, and I made it two days with the button before I couldn't stand it anymore. DH loved it, and kept wearing his. DH loves wearing his b'day button. He LOVES saying HB to people wearing their b'day buttons. It makes him sad when people get freaked out when he says it; if you don't want people to notice it, don't wear it...that's his view.

Disney says if you're celebrating a birthday, get the b'day button.

I was there over Veteran's Day weekend this year. We picked that weekend for our trip because my 30th was on the 16th. I wore the button for most of the trip (we were only there for the long weekend). The purpose of the trip was to celebrate my 30th, and my birthday was the same week.

On the flip side, when I went to Disney as my 21st birthday celebration, I did not wear a button. That trip was in January. I don't consider that to be remotely close to my birthday.

Update : Here now and I got a birthday button. (My birthday is within a month ). My whole party got "I'm celebrating " buttons. I've gotten lots of Happy Birthdays, a card from the Muppets and a few cupcakes. While all this is nice, I do feel a little weird wearing it while it's not my actual birthday. I don't think I will wear it anymore this trip. I think an "I'm celebrating" button would have been more appropriate for me.

My birthday falls right in the middle of our next trip and was during our last trip and I wore my button the entire time. If my birthday is during the trip that makes it a "Birthday Trip" and I'm gonna enjoy the buttons. Never got anything free, I just think it's fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter