Where do DVCers vacation … outside of DVC?

All kinds of places. One or both of me and my partner have been to recently or are going in the next few months to NYC, Philadelphia, LA, San Diego, Aspen, Vegas, Hawaii, Montreal, Mexico, Portugal, Spain, Greece, Japan, and Australia - and the "other park" of course. Plus work and family visit trips. I love being home on the couch bundled up watching movies, but I also love going all kinds of places.

We have traveled the world including 65 countries & all 7 continents--both with our daughter & now that we're retired We travel independently, an occasional small group tour & 35 cruises. We have been OKW DVC owners since 1995 when OKW was the only DVC--used it at WDW, DLR, HHR, VBR, Paris & Tokyo Disney as well as a bunch of the Concierge Collection when that was still a viable option.

However, we never would have bought DVC if we didn't have the resources to travel the world as a family, in addition to using DVC. I recommend prioritizing traveling the REAL world with your family not just the Disney world. It is the best education to open both adults & children's minds & hearts to the people, histories & cultures of the world! Happy travels wherever you go!

Last edited:
I once said to my husband - We should go to Africa on a safari. He said - We can go on safari at Animal Kingdom!

I did manage to talk him into an Alaska Cruise as long as it is on a Disney cruise. We have that booked for this summer.

Outside of Disney, we love Key West and Hawaii for beaches and snorkeling. Last year, we took a train around Germany (really just Frankfurt and Berlin) for Christmas markets. This year, a week in the French Alps for Christmas with family. Next year, a road trip around England and Scotland.

Everywhere! CA is probably the only state we visit more often than anywhere else, because it's easy for us to do weekend trips. We are trying to do more vacations outside the U.S, so later this year we have a France trip and next year maybe Japan! A few destinations that are higher on my list - Portugal, Greece, Switzerland, Taiwan, Singapore, Australia.

Viking River and Ocean cruises! We are diehard Viking fans. It's almost as bad as our DVC addiction.
I was debating to book Viking before we booked with Uniworld. They were my top 2 for river cruises. The Christmas markets is on my bucket list, so maybe when we are able to do that, we'll try Viking!

Funny - we have been all over, including Paris / France many times, Shanghai, Tokyo, HK many times, and have never visited a Disney property outside the US.

Kids are at an age where I really want to take them to Alaska on a small boat - we went on Lindblad (NatGeo) many years ago, which now seems to be part of Disney?

Also - we need to staycation more. Just this past weekend we went to the Museum of Natural History for just a few hours, and it was very engaging for me and the kids. And we've had a membership to this museum for years, so we treat it like WDW in the sense that we don't feel like we have to do everything - we can go for a short visit, do specific things we choose, and we know we will be back.

Kids are at an age where I really want to take them to Alaska on a small boat - we went on Lindblad (NatGeo) many years ago, which now seems to be part of Disney?
Check out Alaskan Dream Cruises https://www.alaskandreamcruises.com/ - we sailed on the Admiralty Dream in 2014, and that cruise along with the land visit to Denali beforehand was so good that DH and I don't think we could enjoy visiting Alaska on a large cruise ship. We'll never forget watching whales bubble net feeding for hours and a brown bear teaching her triplet cubs to catch salmon.

Well, primarily cruising. Last year's big trip was a 12-night British Isles cruise on Regal Princess that was one of our favorite trips ever. We also usually cruise Disney at least once a year. Also, if we head to Aulani, we may spend time on one of the other islands as well.

Check out Alaskan Dream Cruises https://www.alaskandreamcruises.com/ - we sailed on the Admiralty Dream in 2014, and that cruise along with the land visit to Denali beforehand was so good that DH and I don't think we could enjoy visiting Alaska on a large cruise ship. We'll never forget watching whales bubble net feeding for hours and a brown bear teaching her triplet cubs to catch salmon.
had about 80 passengers on our lindblad cruise. Our boat looked to be about the same size as the Chicagof Dream, but it felt smaller, somehow. I guess that's a good sign. Thanks for sharing, I think a smaller boat (<100 pax) would be ideal. We did also take a 40 pax cruise in the mediterranean on the Sea Cloud, and an even smaller boat (M/V Grace) in the Galapagos before kids. (all trips I'd recommend again). On the Grace, there were nights we had to tuck ourselves into bed to not fall out!

Viking River and Ocean cruises! We are diehard Viking fans. It's almost as bad as our DVC addiction.
We have been debating about Viking, but I guess I dont need to ask how you like it.

I once said to my husband - We should go to Africa on a safari. He said - We can go on safari at Animal Kingdom!

I did manage to talk him into an Alaska Cruise as long as it is on a Disney cruise. We have that booked for this summer.

Outside of Disney, we love Key West and Hawaii for beaches and snorkeling. Last year, we took a train around Germany (really just Frankfurt and Berlin) for Christmas markets. This year, a week in the French Alps for Christmas with family. Next year, a road trip around England and Scotland.
I have been on Safari in Tanzania, yes the AK one is very very good, but try to convince the husband for a real one, nothing like it.

We have traveled the world including 65 countries & all 7 continents--both with our daughter & now that we're retired We travel independently, an occasional small group tour & 35 cruises. We have been OKW DVC owners since 1995 when OKW was the only DVC--used it at WDW, DLR, HHR, VBR, Paris & Tokyo Disney as well as a bunch of the Concierge Collection when that was still a viable option.

However, we never would have bought DVC if we didn't have the resources to travel the world as a family, in addition to using DVC. I recommend prioritizing traveling the REAL world with your family not just the Disney world. It is the best education to open both adults & children's minds & hearts to the people, histories & cultures of the world! Happy travels wherever you go!
Since you two have been everywhere— what are your favorites?

Europe and Hawaii

Hawaii has mostly been while the kids were younger (we are overdue for another trip here).

We started taking trips to Europe when both girls were in their teens. So far we have been to Italy (Rome, Florence, Venice), Paris (and of course DL Paris), Norway (lots of family history stuff on this trip), London, Greece, Munich (with side trips to Salzburg and Fussen) and Italy again (Matera & Amalfi Coast).

Since you two have been everywhere— what are your favorites?
As the saying goes, "we haven't been everywhere but it's on the list!"

Favorites is a hard question to answer. We have wonderful memories & things we've learned on every trip. To find your own favorites, I guess I would suggest traveling as much (domestically & internationally) as your budget & time allows, learn a bit about your destination beforehand, leave your preconceptions at home, get off the beaten path, eat at local places, hire a local guide(s), talk to everybody, don't plan too much--leave time to wander. If you go somewhere just to check off the 'must sees' & get the pictures to prove it, you'll miss out on the true heart of what makes that place unique. Happy travels!

As the saying goes, "we haven't been everywhere but it's on the list!"

Favorites is a hard question to answer. We have wonderful memories & things we've learned on every trip. To find your own favorites, I guess I would suggest traveling as much (domestically & internationally) as your budget & time allows, learn a bit about your destination beforehand, leave your preconceptions at home, get off the beaten path, eat at local places, hire a local guide(s), talk to everybody, don't plan too much--leave time to wander. If you go somewhere just to check off the 'must sees' & get the pictures to prove it, you'll miss out on the true heart of what makes that place unique. Happy travels!
100 percent agree,,,love travel to no e commercial places...yet love the most commerical place...Disney...did a lot of solo travel,,now living to see things new thru my wifes and daughters eyes.
The world awaits you

For the past couple of years we have been going to the Midlands of South Carolina. We are looking to retire there is a couple of years, so these are scouting trips.
Otherwise it has been Cabins in State Parks, long weekends in Chicago, or visiting our daughter in Washington DC.

For the past couple of years we have been going to the Midlands of South Carolina. We are looking to retire there is a couple of years, so these are scouting trips.
Otherwise it has been Cabins in State Parks, long weekends in Chicago, or visiting our daughter in Washington DC.

State parks in which state(s?) We recently sold our camper so in the future, we'll probably want to find parks with decent cabins.

State parks in which state(s?) We recently sold our camper so in the future, we'll probably want to find parks with decent cabins.
We are in the Midwest, so we have done cabins in both Illinois and Indiana. We have seen there are Cabins in South Carolina also, just have not stayed there yet.

In Indiana I would look at Brown County State Park in the fall, or Whitewater Memorial State Park anytime.

Custer State Park in South Dakota, specifically Blue Bell resort, has nice cabins. For National Parks, Yellowstone and Grand Tetons also had nice cabins.

Well, primarily cruising. Last year's big trip was a 12-night British Isles cruise on Regal Princess that was one of our favorite trips ever. We also usually cruise Disney at least once a year. Also, if we head to Aulani, we may spend time on one of the other islands as well.
Going on my first cruise this summer but already looking at the British Isles cruise. Would you say the sea is any rougher on this cruise than others?

Reading through these responses is getting my Wanderlust going! We've traveled to many fun and exotic locations around the world but seeing so many different places mentioned makes me realize how much variety is out there. Also a little sad knowing I can never see it all. I always tell younger people that traveling is the key to life...assuming finances allow it.

Just as a side note I see lakeside Michigan mentioned a lot...not just here. I assume there are many quaint and picturesque spots along the 3 different lakes? I wouldn't mind taking a trip out that way one day if it's as nice as everyone says.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter