Where do you think DVC resale prices are headed?

And Grand Californian appears to have increased sine February, looks the average is now about $250
And small contracts are going for $270. Not to mention that the absolutely cheapest off-season studio is 17 pts/night mid-week...

But when that’s the only game in town, you gotta pay to play.

I had not looked at prices in a while since I did an add on at SSR in August for $99 a point. At the time I thought I may have paid a bit too much. Well that same 175 point contract would sell for about $120 a point right now, so looks like I did buy at the right time, lol.

I find it amazing that DVC continues to keep its value and even increase.

I don't think any of us on this thread last year correctly predicted what is going on right now. ( I have one contract that I purchased then that has already appreciated $50 per point...too bad I'm not selling.)

Crazy times with the low inventory and definitely a seller's market.

I think a lot of people are sitting on a lot of vacation money that they didn't get to spend over the last year and are using this opportunity to buy DVC. That's what I did! lol

Yep. Lot of people with excess vacation funds AND stimulus money and child tax credits they wouldn't normally get. A family right on the $150K threshold just got A LOT of extra money. Definitely enough for a decent resale contract.

And don't forget about all the new day traders making a killing in the stock market. And you've even got people unemployed making more than they did when employed.

It's a crazy time, but I wonder how things will look in a year or two. I do believe some people have gone a little crazy with their windfalls and will find themselves overextended and unable to take all these trips when the dust settles. We shall see.

Yep. Lot of people with excess vacation funds AND stimulus money and child tax credits they wouldn't normally get. A family right on the $150K threshold just got A LOT of extra money. Definitely enough for a decent resale contract.

And don't forget about all the new day traders making a killing in the stock market. And you've even got people unemployed making more than they did when employed.

It's a crazy time, but I wonder how things will look in a year or two. I do believe some people have gone a little crazy with their windfalls and will find themselves overextended and unable to take all these trips when the dust settles. We shall see.
True about the extra funds!
My family bought a DVC resale with the extra funds since necessities are covered due to not losing either jobs.

That is us, like almost to a T....well not 150k, we are 100k family and we bought because of all that and my husband put a little money in Gamestocks before it became huge thing. So yeah agree that description fits us really well and we just bought resale.

Luckily since my husband is accountant and we are splitting the costs with my parents so we are not over extending ourselves.

True about the extra funds!
My family bought a DVC resale with the extra funds since necessities are covered due to not losing either jobs.

That is us, like almost to a T....well not 150k, we are 100k family and we bought because of all that and my husband put a little money in Gamestocks before it became huge thing. So yeah agree that description fits us really well and we just bought resale.

Luckily since my husband is accountant and we are splitting the costs with my parents so we are not over extending ourselves.

Congrats!

Definitely what I'm seeing around me! And, yes, for some certainly it was just enough of a little push to get them the cash for purchase and they will be totally fine. I'm glad I didn't come across harsh, because I certainly didn't mean to.

We didn't benefit much from stimulus/gov't stuff, but my husband's company has done very well and they are great people who "share the wealth" and have given bonuses and raises. I didn't lose my job, so no changes there. We were contemplating an add-on, but more points = more trips and we just can't do it without the APs. Ticket prices are insane. And we have just cash-flowed one kid thru college and have another one starting.

My kids are on the losing end of things. My just out of college really took the hit. She should have tripled her income in 2020, but instead works her butt off for what still amounts to a part-time income or very low full-time income. My younger D was the only teenager retained thru the pandemic at her job. They adore her and are amazed at her work ethic for such a young person. So, her reward was to work less hours / earn less money while her friends collect unemployment. :rotfl2:

So, I see all sides (those who really benefit, those maintaining and those that have lost so much) and it's just hard to wrap my mind around the different ways we are all experiencing this!

All that said, I definitely think it is fueling the DVC resale explosion. I admit, I expected the exact opposite!

Some of you already touched on this but I cannot believe how strong prices have held high, not only time shares but Stock Market, housing market. My circle around me, family and friends, seemed to have done better during the pandemic including ourselves. We find ourselves very grateful for the year we have had and understand that is not the case for everyone. That being said with "K" shaped economy right now the top earners and spenders are really driving up the prices, and the world didn't fall apart like so many people thought. I bet with inflation these prices will be high for a while. I really don't see a downtrend anytime soon.
In 2009 I was working at Disney as a College Program, during the recession and that felt like Disney took a hit, it was noticeable. I really dont think we will see that again in the next year, quite the opposite actually.

And that's when some of us will be poised to add on some more points.

Short of a major recession you won’t see prices drop. At best you will just see the increases stop and prices stay flat at some level.

No one expected prices to rise as much as they did. Otherwise we all would have bought more points. But one major factor is how does DVD respond with direct prices. People are clearly willing to pay at current prices and with limited resale inventory, I think DVD will raise prices across the board. They already increased prices on sold out resorts, but they could do it again (and with larger increases).

Lets say they increase prices, resale prices typically follow direct price increases at some reduced percent (i.e., 60-70%). So its not unrealistic to think that they may continue to increase

No one expected prices to rise as much as they did. Otherwise we all would have bought more points. But one major factor is how does DVD respond with direct prices. People are clearly willing to pay at current prices and with limited resale inventory, I think DVD will raise prices across the board. They already increased prices on sold out resorts, but they could do it again (and with larger increases).

Lets say they increase prices, resale prices typically follow direct price increases at some reduced percent (i.e., 60-70%). So its not unrealistic to think that they may continue to increase
Either that or people will start to buy direct over resale as the gap gets smaller and smaller, either way Disney stands to gain from the resale market price hikes.

Thoughts on Aulani? I know last year it seemed like 90 was around what it was going for, anyone know now? I see them at 120 listed but ROFR thread shows people getting deals for way less.

Going through this thread almost a year later. It’s crazy what people thought was going to happen to DVC resale prices. I would’ve never predicted the complete opposite as prices are at an all time high. The “addonitis” side of me wishes these price drops actually happened.
If there is anything that this forum has taught me is that the collective mind hive is almost always wrong. lol

I was definitely wrong about where prices were going, at least in the short term. Still glad we sold our contract when we did as it was a 2042 and we immediately put the proceeds into the market.

I do think prices are inflated right now due to folks who didn’t lose in the crash sitting on a horde of discretionary income, both directly earned and part of the stimulus. That’s going to dry up in a year or so and we do still likely have a not insignificant portion of the populace who wasn’t so lucky over the past year.

Will be very interested in seeing how things look once all of this excess cash works it’s way through the economy.

Are the resales prices in chart quoted actual sales prices? If so, why the divergence from rofr reports? Esp for akv? Is that because most don’t report their purchases on disboards and it’s only the disboards readers/savvy bargain hunters reporting?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter