Where else can I cut cost?

is the offsite condo not refundable? I would think staying onsite in a regular room, not renting a car and using disney transport would be cheaper.... and simpler.... you can still easily eat breakfast and many snacks,etc in a regular room....

is the offsite condo not refundable? I would think staying onsite in a regular room, not renting a car and using disney transport would be cheaper.... and simpler.... you can still easily eat breakfast and many snacks,etc in a regular room....

That was my first thought too! When you add the condo, the car, the parking, the gas, you're way over the price of a Value room onsite. But I assumed since OP said "done deal" that they were locked into it. If there's a way out of that, definitely look into a room at one of the value resorts. You can still pack groceries or have them shipped to your room.

I agree. The least these friends parents can do is drive you to the airport and pick you up. Also these parents of these friends should throw a little $$ your way for groceries. Also dump the park hoppers. You will never use them. Now when it comes to parking in the parks, there are ways around that. Park at downtown Disney and take bus to park or do a little bit of searching online on how to "save" on parking in Disney. Forget about cooking at home. You will be burnt out from being in the parks all day. Like someone mentioned, go to publix and pick up some food there. They have plenty of pre-made food like chicken, wings, salads, etc.... Order pizza a few nights. Stay away from that via Napoli pizza. Way overpriced. Me personally I will drop the travel ins. Only time I get that is if I am traveling internationally.
There are no park buses from Downtown Disney.

That is really high for a rental car.....I have never paid above $200/week and usually much, much less so reconsider the travel insurance.

Something I always do is factor in how much I would spend on groceries/gas/meals out/entertainment etc during a normal week at home and then add that to my vacation budget....I always forget that I won't have those costs since we won't be home so it is a little extra for the trip.

Now when it comes to parking in the parks, there are ways around that. Park at downtown Disney and take bus to park or do a little bit of searching online on how to "save" on parking in Disney.

There are no park buses from Downtown Disney.

KingofJapan I see you are kinda new here. Just wanted you to know that getting around the parking fee at WDW can be a hot button issue that will throw a thread off the rails.

But most people here will point out, some times not so nicely;), that parking at DTD is a major waste of valuable park time and any other "workarounds" can greatly inconvenience other guests.

KingofJapan I see you are kinda new here. Just wanted you to know that getting around the parking fee at WDW can be a hot button issue that will throw a thread off the rails.

But most people here will point out, some times not so nicely;), that parking at DTD is a major waste of valuable park time and any other "workarounds" can greatly inconvenience other guests.
Hey they wanted to save money. Eliminating that parking will save a lot. It may not be ethical the way some people save on parking but it's not illegal. I thought there was a bus from downtown Disney to the parks. I never did that but maybe I got that confused with the buses to the resorts and from there to the parks. I would have just stayed on property and saved the money with parking, gas, inconvienience, etc... If I had that tight of a budget, I would have requested one of the parents of the girls to drive them to the airport and the other parent pick them up. Don't rent car and instead uber a ride to the resort and stay at one of the value hotels onsite.

Hey they wanted to save money. Eliminating that parking will save a lot. It may not be ethical the way some people save on parking but it's not illegal. I thought there was a bus from downtown Disney to the parks. I never did that but maybe I got that confused with the buses to the resorts and from there to the parks. I would have just stayed on property and saved the money with parking, gas, inconvienience, etc... If I had that tight of a budget, I would have requested one of the parents of the girls to drive them to the airport and the other parent pick them up. Don't rent car and instead uber a ride to the resort and stay at one of the value hotels onsite.
If you're staying onsite, you don't need to "uber" a ride from the airport. Ground transportation to/from MCO and the Disney resorts is free to guests with a reservation via Magical Express.

If you're staying onsite, you don't need to "uber" a ride from the airport. Ground transportation to/from MCO and the Disney resorts is free to guests with a reservation via Magical Express.
Did not know it was free. I thought there was a charge per person. Never flew into Orlando since I only live 2.5 hrs away. There are so many unnecessary expenses the OP has that can be eliminated. She is not bringing elementary age children with her who cannot get money, these are teenage girls who should have money for food and misc. expenses. Sounds like OP is a little bit of a sucker for not getting a ride from the other parents.

Did not know it was free. I thought there was a charge per person. Never flew into Orlando since I only live 2.5 hrs away. There are so many unnecessary expenses the OP has that can be eliminated. She is not bringing elementary age children with her who cannot get money, these are teenage girls who should have money for food and misc. expenses. Sounds like OP is a little bit of a sucker for not getting a ride from the other parents.
It's my understanding that this trip is in celebration of her daughter's Sweet 16. I would think that she expects to shoulder some, but not all, of the cost. It sounds like the friends are buying their own park tickets and paying for their own airfare. The OP already explained why it is more cost-effective for her to drive to the airport and then park there instead of having one of the parents make 2 round trips. IMO, she is being generous to pay for the condo and food, not a sucker because she chooses to pay for airport parking.

Will the two friends be bringing their own money for food and other things they may want? I know if it were my kid going I would send her with at least $300-500 for the week. I wouldn't expect the other parent to foot the bill for accomodations plus food. Have you spoken with the other parents on what you expect from them?

I agree a value room would be cheaper when you include free parking and ME.

That food budget is way too tight IMO. I would find a way to up my budget.

I think the other parents expect the OP to foot the bill due to them purchasing the park tickets and air. Personally I will send money or get a preloaded visa for their spending like food, snacks. I would also give the OP some money for gas and parking. Maybe the other 2 parents can chip in and pay for a shuttle to and from the airport.

Condo vs. value room is a tough one. I know I couldn't be in any hotel room with my teen and his friends for 7 days without developing a drinking problem. When DD was that age, that was true about 100 times more. (Cheaper, yes, but think of the children, er . . . the adult! ;) )

Ideas for cooking in the room:
Spaghetti and salad (simple--don't go all out on the sauce or anything)
Cheap steaks or chicken breasts, salad, bread
Sandwiches
Breakfast for dinner (we made this once because my teens were NOT ever getting up early enough to reasonably make breakfast in the room. Favorite dinner of our vacation--so relaxed and easy.

Buy some easy snacks. We always get a frozen pizza or two. DS17 eats a lot at night, and I'm only cooking one dinner. We always make a few simple dinners and all breakfasts in our room. I think it's a nice break from crowds.

Also you say you are going to eat all suppers at the townhouse. I'm assuming that you are going to leave, eat and come back to a park. Well thats going to take, depending on which park you are at, maybe 2 and half - three hours. The quickest would probably be AK and longest the MK since you have to get back to your car.

Thats a lot of time and I'm afraid once back at the house you may not want to go back.

I'm with others that this townhouse sounds expensive when you factor in the need for a car and parking. But I also see 4 people, 3 teenage girls, and one bathroom leading to insanity. :crazy2:

Last edited:
Condo vs. value room is a tough one. I know I couldn't be in any hotel room with my teen and his friends for 7 days without developing a drinking problem. When DD was that age, that was true about 100 times more. (Cheaper, yes, but think of the children, er . . . the adult! ;) )

Ideas for cooking in the room:
Spaghetti and salad (simple--don't go all out on the sauce or anything)
Cheap steaks or chicken breasts, salad, bread
Sandwiches
Breakfast for dinner (we made this once because my teens were NOT ever getting up early enough to reasonably make breakfast in the room. Favorite dinner of our vacation--so relaxed and easy.

Buy some easy snacks. We always get a frozen pizza or two. DS17 eats a lot at night, and I'm only cooking one dinner. We always make a few simple dinners and all breakfasts in our room. I think it's a nice break from crowds.
Ugh. Who wants to do all of that while on vacation. You go to disney to slave away in a kitchen for some teenage girls. Sounds like fun. I would go to publix/fresh market and buy some pre-made meals like roasted chicken, premade pizzas, etc. Hell, teen girls would be happy with papa johns pizza which is cheap. Perhaps these girls should bring some of their own money so the poor OP does not have to treat everyone. What will happen is that they will be in the parks all day and mom will be so tired that they end up going to one of the counter service restaurants where she will end up spending about $60 on the 4 of them.

We don't know the OP arrangements with the parents. If she's offered to feed them and she invited them to go as a celebration then I think it is her responsibility to find ways to up her food budget. She has until July to increase it by a few hundred dollars. If she can do some small stuff between now and then the money will add up quick. I like the person suggestion of going to publixs and picking up quick things that can be eaten at the condo. You can get a fried chicken or rotisserie meal with 2 sides and rolls for 12.00. Get a bunch of fresh fruit and veg and prepared them ahead as a quick snack. Nuts are always good to take to the park. Cook hard boil eggs, salads, lunch meats and some frozen stouffers meals can stretch her budget plus take little prep time.

Buy some lemonade, propel type packets to add to the free water that the counter service offers. I think going back to the condo.

Op if I were you, I would make a menu plan ahead of time so you have an idea of what meals you want to make at the condo. This will keep you grocery buying focused and end up saving you money. If you could use your regular food budget for breakfast and lunch then your budget will probably work.

like ( I like these meals because it takes little work and you still feel like you're on vacation)
Fried chicken meal
Stouffers lasagna with side salad and bread
Stouffers Echilidas with salad and fruit
Publix subs with chips/fries and fruit
Tacos
Pizza
chicken alfredo with side salad and bread
If you have seafood eaters publix will steam crab legs and shrimp at no cost for you. You could do a seafood night and add mashed potatoes (already made trays) and corn on the cob and bread.

What I find the hardest with other peoples children is the difference in what people like to eat (thats always a challenge)

Also you say you are going to eat all suppers at the townhouse. I'm assuming that you are going to leave, eat and come back to a park. Well thats going to take, depending on which park you are at, maybe 2 and half three hours. The quickest would probably be AK and longest the MK since you have to get back to your car.

Oh and this is assuming you don't have to really cook and minimal cleanup.

Also you say you are going to eat all suppers at the townhouse. I'm assuming that you are going to leave, eat and come back to a park. Well thats going to take, depending on which park you are at, maybe 2 and half three hours. The quickest would probably be AK and longest the MK since you have to get back to your car.

Thats a lot of time and I'm afraid once back at the house you may not want to go back.

I'm with others that this townhouse sounds expensive when you factor in the need for a car and parking. But I also see 4 people, 3 teenage girls, and one bathroom leading to insanity. :crazy2:
What's being overlooked here (and not just by the PP) is that the condo rental is a sunk cost. The OP stated that it is already a done deal. While we can argue the merits of onsite vs. offsite, none of that helps the OP. She's going to be offsite and because of that, she is going to need a rental car.

July is hot so if they spend the morning at the park- leave around 1- eat a quick lunch either at the park or at the condo- swim/ nap/ relax. Eat an early dinner go back to the park- have a snack. I think it will be just fine. By mid afternoon it is very hot or the afternoon thunderstorm will roll in. If I was the poster, I would do park opening, afternoon break and then back in the evening. I love being in the park after dark.

What's being overlooked here (and not just by the PP) is that the condo rental is a sunk cost. The OP stated that it is already a done deal. While we can argue the merits of onsite vs. offsite, none of that helps the OP. She's going to be offsite and because of that, she is going to need a rental car.

We don't know that for sure unless you have other info not posted. But my post also was to make sure she knew what to expect and have the proper expectations. Is that redundant? :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter