• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Where to Stay? Where to Eat? Help me Plan!!

exlq

Earning My Ears
Hey Folks,

Just looking for a little help from what I would assume to be the experts. My Wife and I are currently planning a trip to Disney in the summer time (no children). We went about 2 1/2 years ago and had a wonderful time and about 2-3 years prior to that. We stayed at Saratoga Springs. Prior to that we stayed at Animal Kingdom.

I've been referred to a million different travel advisers, but I'd rather hear first hand from people who have actually been/actually go regularly.

About us quickly, we're both in our early 30's. We don't have children and we both grew up going to Disney all the time as children. We've been back a few times but try not to go back to often (every few years makes it feel special). Budget doesn't matter, but that also doesn't mean I want to unnecessarily spend money. I don't want to eat, or stay somewhere where I can't arrive in a T Shirt and Shorts. I have to wear a suit to every game or event, so I do not want to wear one while on vacation. I also don't want to be around pretentious folks (I'm not saying anyone is or isn't, just I've been to resorts in the past where I didn't enjoy the other guests/patrons).

We're going to be in Florida for around 10-11 days. We plan on flying into Orlando and renting a car. From Orlando we'll be heading out to Siesta Key and spending 4-5 days in Siesta Key. I don't need any help with that portion of the trip, we own properties down there and has long been travelling to Siesta Key.

Once we're done in Siesta, we're going to be making our way over to Disney, likely for 6-7 days. This is where I'm looking for some input, where should I stay? The last time we went down, we stayed at Saratoga Springs in a 2 bedroom Villa (which was absolutely unneeded). I really liked Saratoga Springs, because of it's proximity to Disney Springs, I did some research and stayed specifically in the hotel portion closest to DS so we could walk over there. So here's my question, are there any other resorts that have places like this walking distance? I don't need to stay at the Floridian, but I'm also not opposed to staying there if that makes sense? I guess I'm looking for some input. I've looked at the Contemporary, Polynesian, Saratoga (again because of its proximity to entertainment). I've also looked at the Dolphin and Swan, which are incredibly cheap, but I've heard their not 'Disney properties'. Staying at either of those, do they include wristbands? Transportation?

Last time we were there we basically ate out each night, I can't remember all of the restaurants but I know we ate at Planet Hollywood and STK in Disney Springs. Yak and Yeti and Rainforest at AK. The Epicot restaurant's name escapes me. We also did Pizza one night at the hotel.... Do you have any recommendations for food? Again, I don't need Michelin star food, I'm a steak and potatoes type of guy. A good steak, a good pasta is right up our alley.

Again, I have no issue spending money, I just don't want to do it unnecessarily. I don't need to stay at the most expensive place (or eat there) if something makes more sense. And I really don't want to wear a suit and tie on vacation! Hopefully you've got an idea of what I'm looking for and I'd love any help you guys provide!

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Hey Folks,

Just looking for a little help from what I would assume to be the experts. My Wife and I are currently planning a trip to Disney in the summer time (no children). We went about 2 1/2 years ago and had a wonderful time and about 2-3 years prior to that. We stayed at Saratoga Springs. Prior to that we stayed at Animal Kingdom.

I've been referred to a million different travel advisers, but I'd rather hear first hand from people who have actually been/actually go regularly.

About us quickly, we're both in our early 30's. We don't have children and we both grew up going to Disney all the time as children. We've been back a few times but try not to go back to often (every few years makes it feel special). Budget doesn't matter, but that also doesn't mean I want to unnecessarily spend money. I don't want to eat, or stay somewhere where I can't arrive in a T Shirt and Shorts. I have to wear a suit to every game or event, so I do not want to wear one while on vacation. I also don't want to be around pretentious folks (I'm not saying anyone is or isn't, just I've been to resorts in the past where I didn't enjoy the other guests/patrons).

We're going to be in Florida for around 10-11 days. We plan on flying into Orlando and renting a car. From Orlando we'll be heading out to Siesta Key and spending 4-5 days in Siesta Key. I don't need any help with that portion of the trip, we own properties down there and has long been travelling to Siesta Key.

Once we're done in Siesta, we're going to be making our way over to Disney, likely for 6-7 days. This is where I'm looking for some input, where should I stay? The last time we went down, we stayed at Saratoga Springs in a 2 bedroom Villa (which was absolutely unneeded). I really liked Saratoga Springs, because of it's proximity to Disney Springs, I did some research and stayed specifically in the hotel portion closest to DS so we could walk over there. So here's my question, are there any other resorts that have places like this walking distance? I don't need to stay at the Floridian, but I'm also not opposed to staying there if that makes sense? I guess I'm looking for some input. I've looked at the Contemporary, Polynesian, Saratoga (again because of its proximity to entertainment). I've also looked at the Dolphin and Swan, which are incredibly cheap, but I've heard their not 'Disney properties'. Staying at either of those, do they include wristbands? Transportation?

Last time we were there we basically ate out each night, I can't remember all of the restaurants but I know we ate at Planet Hollywood and STK in Disney Springs. Yak and Yeti and Rainforest at AK. The Epicot restaurant's name escapes me. We also did Pizza one night at the hotel.... Do you have any recommendations for food? Again, I don't need Michelin star food, I'm a steak and potatoes type of guy. A good steak, a good pasta is right up our alley.

Again, I have no issue spending money, I just don't want to do it unnecessarily. I don't need to stay at the most expensive place (or eat there) if something makes more sense. And I really don't want to wear a suit and tie on vacation! Hopefully you've got an idea of what I'm looking for and I'd love any help you guys provide!

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

I would highly recommend looking at the WDW resorts in the EP area (they are, basically, right next to the Swan/Dolphin). These resorts include Yacht Club, Beach Club, Beach Club Villas, Boardwalk Inn and Boardwalk Villas. You will be within walking distance to both Epcot and Hollywood Studios, plus will have the Friendship boats and Skyliner at your disposal to get to Hollywood Studios as well if you don't feel like walking. And you'll be in the Disney "bubble", get Disney's Magical Express plus Magic Bands and all the other perks that come with an onsite stay. All of these resorts have their plusses for an adults-only stay, IMHO, so it's really a matter of preference as to the one you choose. They are all, also, super laid back.

YC tends to be the quieter of the three, IMHO, and you are guaranteed a full balcony there. BC is a little livelier but what I really like about it is it's the closest resort to EP and the Skyliner entrance. YC and BC share a really nice pool complex. If you would consider BC, I would also price out a studio at Beach Club Villas. The villas are a little quieter, IMHO, and offer a fantastic location (the closest you can get to EP and the Skyliner, plus you will be close to that resort's bus service and Quick Service food location). BWI is also lovely and really fun at night with entertainment on the Boardwalk. Again, here, you could consider a studio at BW Villas as well. The studios will give you a queen and a sofa (it pulls out, but you probably wouldn't need that), plus a kitchenette with a microwave and full-size coffee maker.

In terms of restaurants, the only really fancy restaurant with a strict dress code in WDW is Victoria and Albert's. Otherwise, you can get away with wearing park attire or, if you want to dress it up a little, khaki shorts and a polo.

Thank you so much for your quick reply!

I'm going to check into those resorts shortly.

In a similar situation a number of years ago on three different trips, my wife and I stayed at the AKL, Wilderness Lodge and Yacht Club. As a total experience we really enjoyed WL, from the theming of the resort to the location. Yacht Club was a close 2nd and while much more a typical hotel experience in theming, you just can't beat their shared pool area with Beach Club. Incredible.

With the Skyliner only a short walk away, Yacht and Beach Clubs would be a solid bet. This also opens the door to a bounty of dining availability at Epcot.

I would recommend either Yacht Club or Boardwalk as well. And if you like a little more space you could look into a one bedroom unit at the Boardwalk Villas. I would get park hoppers which will make it easy to go over to Epcot for dinner which has so many great choices. There is some evening adult entertainment in the boardwalk area so if that's something you enjoy it's nice to be within walking distance of it.

At Swan and Dolphin you won't get magic bands and if you do buy magic bands or bring old ones you won't be able to charge anything with them. There will still be park transportation, but no airport transportation though since you have a car I'm thinking that isn't as big of a deal. They are a decent choice and some people love them, but if money isn't a big factor I would much prefer to stay at a Disney resort.

Skyliner is a September 2019 addition to the Epcot/Hollywood Studios hotels. It a silent gondola that stretches from Art of Animation/Pop Century to Caribbean Beach Resort to HS and to Epcot. It moves amazingly fast and virtually silent. My kids adored it. That's them in my avatar looking out as we traveled from Art of Animation to the CBR hub.

If you have a car there is plenty of places to eat close to Disney. Look at the RT192, 535 and International Drive. We have owned property down there since 2003, we go to Disney a lot when we are there, but usually eat outside of Disney property. It is a lot cheaper and much more to choose from.

Thank you all so much for the replies.

I had no idea about the Skyliner! It looks great.

Another vote here for the Epcot resort area - particularly the Yacht club. We had such a lovely time here and it’s quick access to Epcot and Hollywood studios was awesome. The boardwalk is a similar area to Disney Springs (although a lot smaller) but it has a nice vibe and there are some nice shops and restaurants. As far as eats go, we’ve had some great meals and most in park restaurants will be fine for you to be in your normal park clothes for your reservation despite being fancy. If it’s in one of the parks, they’re realistic about dress code. Outside the parks I recommend ohana. It’s lots of fun and a super relaxed atmosphere that I really enjoy. All the best with your planning!

I would look into the Yacht/Beach Club area. Close to Epcot. Can walk there or take the boat. It's also very close to Swan and Dolphin which has some nice restaurants. Beach Club is very popular because of the pool, if that is something important to you. Yacht Club has a good steak place, since you mentioned you like steak. Staying on property gives you perks like extra magic hours, wrist bands and earlier bookings for dining reservations and fastpasses. Disney Springs has a lot of places to eat. Our favorites are Homecomin' and Boathouse. If it was just me and my husband, I'd go to California Grill and plan it to be there for the fireworks. Since you have a car, keep in mind Disney now charges a daily parking fee. Since it's been almost 3 years since you've last been there, there has been some changes (skyliner, Star Wars, etc.) I would suggest going on line, research Disney website and use you tube. You tube has great videos to watch for information. I like the Disney Food Blog(it's not just about food). WDW is going through a lot of changes right now in preparation for their 50th anniversary next year.

What do you want to do while on the WDW part of your trip? My advice would be different for someone who wants to spend all their time in the parks, as opposed to someone who wants to visit the parks at a leisurely pace and do other things.

I will agree with the consensus that Yacht Club or Beach Club would be your best bet if you want to stay on property.

Several places to get a good steak as well. STK, Shula's, Le Cellier inside Epcot. The Epcot area has plenty of fantastic restaurants. If you'll be there over a weekend check out the California Grill Brunch inside the Contemporary Resort.

The nice thing about WDW is there is something for everyone, and you can experience it however you like. We've done relaxing adults only trips to 8 day park warrior go home barely able to move gotta see everything trips.

Hey, once again thanks everyone for the replies.

To answer a few things, I really don't mind how many 'conflicting' opinions I get. I value the opinions of people who know the place well.

We won't be taking the car to any of the Disney Parks. I really only need the car for the previous part of the trip, I don't want to return it because I don't want to be without one in case we decide to go off property. We'll likely go shopping, elsewhere at least one of the days.

We'll definitely get the park hopper + pass. The one that allows you to come and go as you want and we'll have it for the whole time that we're there. The last time we basically crammed 4 parks into 5 days, and I left a little sore ;). I have no idea how people do it with kids.... So we'll do the parks over 6 or 7 days to spread things out a little bit.

I'm definitely feeling the love for the Beach and Yacht Club, so I'm going to look into this. Can I ask why no one is recommending the Contemporary or Polynesian?

My husband and I would highly recommend the Boardwalk Inn in the Epcot resort area. Have you ever looked into or thought of staying Club Level? The BWI club level in my opinion is perfect for an adults only trip if you enjoy some resort time. The BWI has a more adult feel to it then the YC/BC but still has the themed Disney feel that makes staying in the Disney bubble so important to us. You are literally walking distance to 2 parks and a miniature golf course as well as some good night time entertainment. Most evenings the boardwalk has different entertainers out doing their thing and some of them are really impressive. You also have the Jelly Rolls dueling piano bar a very short walk away. As others have mentioned the new Skyliner is also available.

If you have any interest in staying club level check out the club level page on the boards. Have a great trip.

Old key west is just a boat ride away from Disney springs and it’s a beautiful (and sprawling) resort. At Saratoga Springs they have tree houses you can stay in which are awesome. We saw peacocks roaming around every day. When we stayed there, we rented a golf cart and drove that from our treehouse to Disney springs were they had special golf cart parking. It was so much fun. That was a few years ago though not sure if they still do that. We love Poly but it can be crowded and noisy because it’s so popular. You can hop the monorail to MK and wAlk to TTC to catch monorail to Epcot from there. You can walk to MK from the Contemporary. We’ve stayed at the Grand Floridian but weren’t thrilled with it. The Epcot resorts are great too if you’re looking to spend a lot of time in Epcot.

Hey, once again thanks everyone for the replies.

To answer a few things, I really don't mind how many 'conflicting' opinions I get. I value the opinions of people who know the place well.

We won't be taking the car to any of the Disney Parks. I really only need the car for the previous part of the trip, I don't want to return it because I don't want to be without one in case we decide to go off property. We'll likely go shopping, elsewhere at least one of the days.

We'll definitely get the park hopper + pass. The one that allows you to come and go as you want and we'll have it for the whole time that we're there. The last time we basically crammed 4 parks into 5 days, and I left a little sore ;). I have no idea how people do it with kids.... So we'll do the parks over 6 or 7 days to spread things out a little bit.

I'm definitely feeling the love for the Beach and Yacht Club, so I'm going to look into this. Can I ask why no one is recommending the Contemporary or Polynesian?
Over the years we have stayed at all the deluxe resorts on property with and without kids. The Contemporary resort to me is really sterile and could be any hotel in any city. Plus due to the fact that it is walking distance to the MK you will find a lot of family's. The Poly is a well loved resort to many here on the boards but again is a big family resort due to it being on the monorail loop.

Gotcha.

I'm not opposed to the families or anything and I'm not really concerned with noise or busy. I accept that's its Disney and there's going to be people everywhere. My wife and I do like to go out a lot, so last time we found ourselves at Epcot a fair bit (they have the most alcohol lol). So perhaps staying in that area makes the most sense.

I think ultimately it comes down whether we want to try something new (Boardwalk or Beach) or stick with Saratoga, that we enjoyed the last time.

Decisions, decisions!

Gotcha.

I'm not opposed to the families or anything and I'm not really concerned with noise or busy. I accept that's its Disney and there's going to be people everywhere. My wife and I do like to go out a lot, so last time we found ourselves at Epcot a fair bit (they have the most alcohol lol). So perhaps staying in that area makes the most sense.

I think ultimately it comes down whether we want to try something new (Boardwalk or Beach) or stick with Saratoga, that we enjoyed the last time.

Decisions, decisions!

Another vote for Beach Club/Yacht Club. Based on your desire for walkability to restaurants it sounds like the best fit. At an MK resort, you are close to MK but farther from the other parks, and MK area restaurants are nice but get booked up quick, and a lot of them are the grand floridian which has a bit of that pretentiousness you mentined wanting to avoid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter