Who has made the move to FL?

Chiming in just to follow along! Also interested in moving to Florida (the space coast area), coming from Oklahoma.

Hello - another Coloradoan here. I actually did the move about 15 years ago, stayed for three years then got homesick for the Rockies. My daughters had both decided to go "home" for college and the thought of being so far away from them was too much for me at the time. I love April through October in Colorado and hope one day to find a way to be a snowbird. I crave humidity and this landlocked mermaid misses the sea.
As far as summers, I think you either pay for heat or air conditioning. Heat for the bulk of the year here, air conditioning for the bulk in Florida. Good luck with your decision.

Dawn

Same here! I miss humidity and I miss water! I think CO has beautiful weather (hello mildest winter ever!!) but even in the summer, the true heat is so brief. I'd have a hard time though if my kids moved back here. I'd probably move too!

And willing to share how you like it and have adjusted to FL?

We are considering moving from CO (we are native Texans) where we have lived since graduating from college. It's something we have been talking about for about 10 years. We're both a bit weary of the cold and longing for more of a 'warm weather state'. Our oldest graduates this year so it seems like an ok time to move and she is chronically ill and the cold here in CO is very hard on her physically. She does really well when we are in FL or back home in TX.

Moving back to TX is high on our list since all our family is there but we aren't closed to other states. I grew up vacationing in FL, and we vacation there once a year (mostly WDW). He has job alerts set up for both TX and FL and lots more comes up for FL.

Just wondering if anyone else has moved to FL, if you were not from there and knew no one, and how you like it? My dh sees a lot of jobs in jacksonville but I've never been to Jacksonville so I have trouble getting on board. I'm not 'married' to having to live in Orlando and just curious what the other cities are like...for families...I've got 4 kids, 1 will enter college, other 3 homeschooled but we stay very active in community activities.

Anyone want to share with me? I'd so appreciate it!
Playing with this idea ourselves. We would be moving from Indiana. My husband has allergy induced asthma and does SO MUCH better when we are in Florida. It's just so busy and full of people and I don't know how we would adjust as we live in the woods, in the middle of nowhere and are introverts. Will be watching this post!:thanks:

I moved to the Panhandle (so still quite a drive to Disney but nothing of course like from other places) in 2001. The summers are long and hot and humid but winters are pretty mild (usually) and wet. Having attended college and post graduate school in Texas (College Station and Temple) I was also accustomed to summers so no big deal, really.

I agree with PP who stated schools require parental involvement (but don't all, really?) and disagree with the stereotyping of Florida as being just another southern (which unfortunately seems to be an insult?) state...feel it is pretty diverse (DD has friends whose parents immigrated from Senegal, India and Morocco) and at least in our little section of paradise, fairly tolerant.

I truly enjoy time spent by our pool and the emerald coast beaches are gorgeous.

Insurance rates are high (especially if you're as close to the coast as we are), wages tend to be lower, property taxes fairly low and of course no state income tax. Food and medications are not taxed. Social services are variable (we live in one of the poorest "mid sized" county to you can guess how some of our funding is) so hard to say whether the overall COL would be an improvement for your situation or not.

Jacksonville is the largest city in Florida (everyone thinks it's Miami but not according to Alex Trebek and Jeopardy!). There are wonderful neighborhoods there and not so great neighborhoods. It has a lot of dining, professional football, and an energized feeling. I haven't spent much time there lately but like any large city, there are lots of opportunities for civic involvement and activities. WDW isn't too far (?maybe 2 hours depending on where you live I believe) and beaches aren't too far (while they're not as good as "my" beaches at least they're there).

Now, since I also love the great state of Texas...if you asked me to chose between them...it would be very difficult. I love the spirit of Texas and the smell of bluebonnets is the greatest perfume ever. But...the gorgeous white sands and green waters of our beaches also have my heart. I'd hate to have to make a choice like that...so many good things about both :)

Last edited:

I moved to the Panhandle (so still quite a drive to Disney but nothing of course like from other places) in 2001. The summers are long and hot and humid but winters are pretty mild (usually) and wet. Having attended college and post graduate school in Texas (College Station and Temple) I was also accustomed to summers so no big deal, really.

I agree with PP who stated schools require parental involvement (but don't all, really?) and disagree with the stereotyping of Florida as being just another southern (which unfortunately seems to be an insult?) state...feel it is pretty diverse (DD has friends whose parents immigrated from Senegal, India and Morocco) and at least in our little section of paradise, fairly tolerant.

I truly enjoy time spent by our pool and the emerald coast beaches are gorgeous.

Insurance rates are high (especially if you're as close to the coast as we are), wages tend to be lower, property taxes fairly low and of course no state income tax. Food and medications are not taxed. Social services are variable (we live in one of the poorest "mid sized" county to you can guess how some of our funding is) so hard to say whether the overall COL would be an improvement for your situation or not.

Jacksonville is the largest city in Florida (everyone thinks it's Miami but not according to Alex Trebek and Jeopardy!). There are wonderful neighborhoods there and not so great neighborhoods. It has a lot of dining, professional football, and an energized feeling. I haven't spent much time there lately but like any large city, there are lots of opportunities for civic involvement and activities. WDW isn't too far (?maybe 2 hours depending on where you live I believe) and beaches aren't too far (while they're not as good as "my" beaches at least they're there).

Now, since I also love the great state of Texas...if you asked me to chose between them...it would be very difficult. I love the spirit of Texas and the smell of bluebonnets is the greatest perfume ever. But...the gorgeous white sands and green waters of our beaches also have my heart. I'd hate to have to make a choice like that...so many good things about both :)

Being from TX, I feel like I could easily adjust to FL pretty easily too. I'm a southerner at heart, even if I am no longer in the south. Being in CO, I don't fit in well here...but that's another thread lol...

We went to college in Waco and the Waco/Temple area is really where we would like to get back to *if* we move back to TX. Unfortunately the job market isn't just bursting and thriving there. I have family in the Austin area but the COL is so high there. We'd actually be going backwards financially. Family in Houston but I'm not a huge fan of Houston...just too big for me. Then there's Dallas, which is where I lived from age 10 up through high school. Also really big and I'm not really interested in going back there. SO, the biggies in TX just aren't where I want to be and the smaller towns we like don't have many jobs. But yes, I love the spirit of TX...I know it's cliche but people there really are so friendly and will go out of their way to help each other out whether they know you or not. We've never found people like that here in CO.

Maybe we should put Tallahassee back on the list?? I took it off, despite having a friend who lives there, because it didn't feel as much like "florida" to me but same could be said for Jax. Also read about really high crime which scared me away since I'm raising 4 kids. My friend who lives there said most of the crime is centered around the colleges and that really concerned me since my dd17 will be in college next year.

I think my kiddos may be in trouble either way with the allergies. Two of my four kids also test positive to every tree, grass, pollen, and mold in our area. Many here in CO don't have a/c but we had to get it because we couldn't open our windows. My kids stay half-drugged on allergy meds too. Eczema and allergies are just part of their life. However, when we visit FL or TX, we notice the humidity seems to help some. Not sure how long that would last though. I think the body just adjusts and then begins reacting again.

You may be happier on the east coast, but not in Florida...I know my Florida family leaves for NJ every year for the summer b/c they can't deal with the heat and humidity...you may find VA or NC to be the "perfect" medium for nice humidity without soul-crushing heat in summer and soul-crushing cold in winter...

Wew moved here 4 years ago from the upper midwest. We are on the gulf coast side. I love it, my husband tolerates it. COL is more expensive for us, but we came from a very small blue color town in the midwest where housing prices were very depressed. Interestingly though out property tax is the same here for our much more expensive house. So take what everyone says about insurance prices with a grain of salt - they are very subjective and you would want to look at real numbers to see how things compared to what you are used to.

Moved when the kids were in elementary and they are now in middle school - excellent schools in the area that we are in, that was specfically one of the things that I researched before picking an area and buying a house.

My asthma is way better - but the allergies - meh. I take Claritin year round down here, used to only take it seasonally up north. This month is pretty bad, but I feel like the worse of it doesn't last too long. Overall we get less colds/viruses down here. Our skin issues are way better - no dry skin anymore.

I like the heat and humidity in the summer, doesn't bother me at all.

All in all, moving is what you make of it. If you can get good jobs, be happy with your housing and really make an attempt to jump in and join community activities you'll probably end up loving it.

St Johns County Schools, just south of Duval (aka Jacksonville) are great. We loved it there and can't wait to move back!!!! Our youngest is still there, a Senior at University of North Florida. We're military, so staying "home" for school is like a treat for him while the parents gallivant around the world!

I would consider the Jax area. We take long weekends up that way and really enjoy it. The colleges in the area are very nice.

One positive is the fact that we can look out our front window and see the rocket launches. SpaceX is launching tonight and we’ll be watching.

I definitely think I’d be happier if we didn’t live in such a small town.

You can keep your insurance rates down by making hurricane improvements to any home you buy.

Another plus, Florida resident rates for Disney

If I were to move to Florida I would pick the Saint Petersburg area of Tampa. Downtown St Pete is becoming an upscale area! I would probably get something in the downtown area of Dunedin, though!
But of course it would depend where your husband can get a job. Just keep this area in mind.

We moved to central Florida 2 months ago from the Chicagoland area. We moved into a larger home (to accommodate out of town visitors) with an acre+ of land.

We too vacationed down here in the summers (WDW & Tampa), so heat and humidity is tolerable. Snow, ice, freezing temps and grey skies, not so much.

Property taxes are wayyyyyyyy cheaper, car ins is comparable to up north, home owners ins just about doubled. One big initial expense was plates and drivers licenses, $484 for each of us and our cars. But I guess next year is only $46.

My allergies up north were horrible in the spring and late summer til 1st frost, they are not so bad down here.

Yes! We did a little over 6 years ago. Funny story-we went to Orlando for a work conference for H a year before we moved here. H told me he would "never move to FL-too hot." A year later he got an amazing job opportunity and now we love it and cannot imagine living anywhere else.

The car license was the biggest shock. It was over $1k for both of us to register/get licenses for FL. We were warned, and thought it was a joke. NOPE.

Not having income tax is nice :flower1:

It was also a challenge finding home insurance that covers FL due to hurricane/flood risks.

The summers can be brutal, I am used to it. 65 degrees is cold to me now.:rotfl::eek:

If you like cruising like we do, it's really easy to do that, as we have 5 ports.

Good luck in whatever you decide!

I didn't want to move to Florida but we made the "temporary" move for DH's work. I found the first few summers (meaning April-October) to be suffocatingly, brutally hot and humid, but I got used to it. Seventeen years later, I love it here!

We're in Tampa. There seem to be plenty of good jobs, we don't find the cost of living to be high, and the schools where we are are good. There are a lot on nice, safe, friendly communities with good local schools and lots of community involvement and local activities. When we first moved here I honestly couldn't wait to move away and now I don't want to leave.

Of course, it doesn't hurt being 75 minutes from Disney.

Following along, as we are contemplating this move also.
We live in Arkansas so are used to hot, humid summers but primarily June-Sept. Winters are mild by most standards - haven't had measurable snow in 3 years. We do get bone-chilling cold temps though which I hate. Every winter I am ready to move to Florida.

I moved out of central florida when I was 5 and have been trying to get back ever since!

If circumstances are ever right, I will jump on the chance!

Last edited:
Haven't made the move, but it's on our radar. We can move wherever we want when DH retires in a few years. We've actually looked at Jacksonville and we liked it and it checked a lot of boxes. Military installation close for medical etc., and within a few hours drive to Orlando and Savannah. We checked out the St Johns County area, and loved lots about it, but then reading online some things I didn't like were the CDD fees and if the schools will overflow with the influx of people coming to the area. Not sure if that is where we'll choose but it's stayed on our list. We drove over to Merritt Island area, but not too sure that's what we want, I prefer to be by a bigger city. We briefly checked out the Dr. Phillipps area arount the Orlando area also, a little pricey. We had thought Houston before and have been there, but I don't really like most of Houston except the Woodlands area, and that's probably just too pricey.

Yes! We did a little over 6 years ago. Funny story-we went to Orlando for a work conference for H a year before we moved here. H told me he would "never move to FL-too hot." A year later he got an amazing job opportunity and now we love it and cannot imagine living anywhere else.

The car license was the biggest shock. It was over $1k for both of us to register/get licenses for FL. We were warned, and thought it was a joke. NOPE.

Not having income tax is nice :flower1:

It was also a challenge finding home insurance that covers FL due to hurricane/flood risks.

The summers can be brutal, I am used to it. 65 degrees is cold to me now.:rotfl::eek:

If you like cruising like we do, it's really easy to do that, as we have 5 ports.

Good luck in whatever you decide!

Yes! I forgot about the first year's car registration, we walked out with about a $1K dollar bill. But the person helping us was an idiot, we were there on Feb 22 and my husbands birthday was the first few days of March, and he charged us for 2 full years for each of our cars - too bad we couldn't figure out what he was doing in the moment, or tooo bad we didn't show up a week later, would have saved us a few hundred dollars.

Yeah, you are very limited to home owners insurance - wish they would fix that.

OP here, I just want to thank everyone who has responded. I'm enjoying reading them all and sharing with my dh. Giving us lots of things to talk and think about. I love having new areas to look up also. Thank you all! Feel free to add anything you like/dislike...I'm up for hearing it all :)

If your DD did really well on her PSAT, there is a scholarship that may allow her to go to a Florida public college for next to nothing.

We also lived on the Gulf side for about a year and I prefer the water over there to the ocean here.

If your DD did really well on her PSAT, there is a scholarship that may allow her to go to a Florida public college for next to nothing.

We also lived on the Gulf side for about a year and I prefer the water over there to the ocean here.

Good to know! I also love the Gulf water more. Vacationed on both sides growing up and I'm definitely a Gulf side fan :) However, after living in land-locked CO for 20 years, I'd be just tickled to have water again lol! I grew up close to the Gulf in TX until I was 10yo and while that Gulf water is not anywhere as lovely as the Gulf water by FL, I still just loved it as a kid. I miss that and lakes...though in TX we could swim in the lakes...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter