Who has made the move to FL?

Definitely can’t swim in the lakes here

I think I know the answer but just curious, does that extend all the way into the panhandle and around jax? I remember being in lakes in Florida as a kid. I am guessing the gator population is just much larger now.

I think I know the answer but just curious, does that extend all the way into the panhandle and around jax? I remember being in lakes in Florida as a kid. I am guessing the gator population is just much larger now.

Gators. They are just a fact of life down here. They used to sit along the edge of the canal when my son rowed in high school. They never bothered the kids but it was unsettling.

DH has swam in a few lakes for triathlons but there were so many swimmers, he wasn’t worried.

I would try and get a house with a pool no matter where you live in FL.

I would try and get a house with a pool no matter where you live in FL.

This would be my goal too. It's pretty much a promise to my kids if we do move. All they have ever known is CO and while they love FL, making a move like this is huge. We promised a pool since that is something we cannot have here :)

Now, since I also love the great state of Texas...if you asked me to chose between them...it would be very difficult. I love the spirit of Texas and the smell of bluebonnets is the greatest perfume ever. But...the gorgeous white sands and green waters of our beaches also have my heart. I'd hate to have to make a choice like that...so many good things about both :)

Don't forget Texas also has beautiful Gulf Coast beaches! I lived in Kingsville, Texas for 4 years before returning to the east coast, and thoroughly enjoyed all my trips to Padre Island National Seashore!

The best Gulf Shrimp and the best barbecue that I can ever remember eating.

Now, I have to be honest and say that when I finally left I was so happy to get back east, but that was in the 80ties, no internet and little extra cash as a military family to enjoy a lot of things, but I do have some great memories of Texas!

Don't forget Texas also has beautiful Gulf Coast beaches! I lived in Kingsville, Texas for 4 years before returning to the east coast, and thoroughly enjoyed all my trips to Padre Island National Seashore!

On this maybe we can disagree...my father was stationed in Corpus Christi and I remember scrubbing tar balls off of...everything if I went into the water. YUK. Barbecue yes, delicious and those who liked shrimp enjoyed that too. And of course...texmex is the best :)

Definitely can’t swim in the lakes here

No way!

I avoid anything with freshwater (other than my pool...and I still check it out before going in it!) because of both alligators AND snakes. As humans we're constantly expanding our footprint which means animals are losing their houses so we are co-existing more and more closely. Even here in Escambia County we've had a bear sighting or two, while the counties more east to us have a bigger problem with them.

On this maybe we can disagree...my father was stationed in Corpus Christi and I remember scrubbing tar balls off of...everything if I went into the water. YUK. Barbecue yes, delicious and those who liked shrimp enjoyed that too. And of course...texmex is the best :)

Was I there before you? I don't remember anything about tar balls. Was that an oil spill? I was there 79- 83. I definitely would have found tar balls unpleasant!

Corpus Christi is the town we drove through to the island.

edit: Texmex - first time I had ever eaten refried beans and when we returned to Washington, DC, there was nowhere to get any texmex food! Eventually they opened a chain that we would go to. Now everywhere here has some sort of Hispanic influenced food.

Was I there before you? I don't remember anything about tar balls. Was that an oil spill? I was there 79- 83. I definitely would have found tar balls unpleasant!

Corpus Christi is the town we drove through to the island

I think from the refineries? Yes, you were there a bit earlier than I...Dad was stationed in Corpus when I was in college (88-91). Just a few years later and the water got ugly. Didn't keep my friends from coming home with me during spring breaks though :)

I think from the refineries? Yes, you were there a bit earlier than I...Dad was stationed in Corpus when I was in college (88-91). Just a few years later and the water got ugly. Didn't keep my friends from coming home with me during spring breaks though :)

I did some googling, and found out about naturally occurring tar balls. (Yes, there were also spills from the drilling.)

Had never heard of such a thing, but there are loads of images. Perhaps I just went to beaches that were cleaned up constantly for tourists and visitors.

We always took the parkway/expressway across to the National Seashore, turned right or south, parked in the NS lot and walked over to the beach.

Have you thought about Gulf Coast locations?

We have some but we are just completely unfamiliar with anything other than LA, TX and FL. My dh looked a bit for jobs in LA also but not much really came out and I'm not sure I want to live in LA. Spent a lot of time there because I have a ton of family there too (I grew up by the Gulf and TX/LA border).

Which Gulf Coast locations would you suggest? My dh is in IT so there has to be some decent industry for jobs, and since we homeschool, I prefer bigger cities with lots of opportunities for my kids to get involved with others.

The best Gulf Shrimp and the best barbecue that I can ever remember eating.

Now, I have to be honest and say that when I finally left I was so happy to get back east, but that was in the 80ties, no internet and little extra cash as a military family to enjoy a lot of things, but I do have some great memories of Texas!

Padre Island extending up towards Corpus has beautiful beaches. I don't think they are quite the same as FL beaches but they are a far cry better than the beaches going from north of Corpus to the LA border. If you have seen those beaches in the last 10-15 years, they just make you want to cry and run far, far away :( We were just in Galveston this past summer. For all the efforts to clean up the seawall, the water is still disgusting and smells atrocious.

But, oh yeah, the shrimp and the BBQ (and the Tex-Mex)...nothing like it...Makes my mouth water just thinking about how good the food is down there!!!

I've been in central Florida since I was 7 (25 now). I absolutely LOVE my state, I can't imagine being anywhere else. We bathe in orange juice, ride an alligator to work, and always wear a bathing suit under our clothes (kidding) I have a lot of family up north that we visit in NH and ME, but I could not handle the cold lol. One of my favorite things about Florida is how close the beaches are. No matter where you are it's about and hour and a half away. Easily a day trip type of thing. It's sunny a lot of the time with the exception of the afternoon downpours we get in summer. A ton of discounts for Florida residents, too. For all the theme parks, cruises, and fun touristy stuff usually. Lakes are great, alligators pretty much leave you alone. Kayaking and swimming in the springs on a hot day is relaxing. The only down side I can think of is hot HOT it gets. We fight for the shady parking spot vs the closest one lol. Humidity and pollen can be annoying, too. I do think about what it would be like living up more north. I love northern beauty like the mountains and snow. Seeing seasons with the foliage change and that cozy feel would be nice, but I am genuinely happy here in Florida.

Padre Island extending up towards Corpus has beautiful beaches. I don't think they are quite the same as FL beaches but they are a far cry better than the beaches going from north of Corpus to the LA border. If you have seen those beaches in the last 10-15 years, they just make you want to cry and run far, far away :( We were just in Galveston this past summer. For all the efforts to clean up the seawall, the water is still disgusting and smells atrocious.

But, oh yeah, the shrimp and the BBQ (and the Tex-Mex)...nothing like it...Makes my mouth water just thinking about how good the food is down there!!!

I've never been on the north of Corpus beaches, so had no idea until I started googling about tar balls.

I've often thought of flying into Corpus for a weekend, just to go visit a few of the places I used to enjoy.

We have some but we are just completely unfamiliar with anything other than LA, TX and FL. My dh looked a bit for jobs in LA also but not much really came out and I'm not sure I want to live in LA. Spent a lot of time there because I have a ton of family there too (I grew up by the Gulf and TX/LA border).

Which Gulf Coast locations would you suggest? My dh is in IT so there has to be some decent industry for jobs, and since we homeschool, I prefer bigger cities with lots of opportunities for my kids to get involved with others.

Have you looked at Brevard County? I am in software development and there seems to be some pretty cool jobs in the Space sector out there.

There's talk that the area between Orlando and the coast will be the next big tech area in the country. We'll see.

DS has an internship this summer with a tech company in Fort Lauderdale and we are trying to find housing. $2,200 per month and up for a one bedroom. lol Yikes.

There's talk that the area between Orlando and the coast will be the next big tech area in the country. We'll see.

DS has an internship this summer with a tech company in Fort Lauderdale and we are trying to find housing. $2,200 per month and up for a one bedroom. lol Yikes.

You mean the area between Orlando and the Atlantic? I know Jax seems to have tons of tech jobs. My dh is an IT Director so maybe not quite as many jobs as for programmers but he is definitely finding some.

And yes, OUCH on $2200 month for 1-bed!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter