• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Why can't DVC members

mac3013

Mickey & the American flag: 2 of my most favorites
purchase the free meal plan? Does anyone know the answers to this? I am sure someone out there knows. We are planning a trip in June/July and we will be taking DSD(2) with us so we will have one more mouth to feed. Would really like to go with the free meal plan if we could.

mac3013 said:
purchase the free meal plan? Does anyone know the answers to this? I am sure someone out there knows. We are planning a trip in June/July and we will be taking DSD(2) with us so we will have one more mouth to feed. Would really like to go with the free meal plan if we could.
First of all, the free meal plan was offered during the "hurricane" season to entice guests to come during that slow period - made even slower by memories of last year's hurricanes. No way is Disney going to offer a free meal plan during the busy summer season.

The free meal plan is an option that must be added to a rack rate room and ticket package. It is not available if you book your room on an AP rate, or a want to use a code discount, or pay for your room with points or even use a Florida resident's rate. You have to book a package that includes the rooms at rack rate and a ticket (the same one) for every person staying in the room.

For 2005 the meal plan add on is $35 (plus tax) per person per night and you have to purchase it for your complete stay and for every person on the reservation. The price is over and above the cost of your room & ticket package. As mentioned it was only free for check-ins during a limited & specified time.

In 2006, the price is going up to $38.

According to information poted on other threads, DVC is working on some type of meal plan for DVC members. It may or may not (probably won't) be the same as the one offered to cash customers. Keep an eye on the boards - it may be available for your trip next summer. Don't count on it being free!

Best wishes-

I'm a little slow tonight, I think....why would you want to purchase a free meal plan? Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

Tamar said:
I'm a little slow tonight, I think....why would you want to purchase a free meal plan? Doesn't that defeat the purpose?

I think the OP meant "prepaid food plan". You don't have to pay once you are there.

Evidently, Jim Lewis announced on the member cruise that they are working on a food plan for DVC members. Don't expect it to be free...I wouldn't.

Thanks everyone.

Didn't realize I had put the 'free' in there. Duh, why the heck you I buy a free plan?

Hope they come up with something soon.

mac3013 said:
Thanks everyone.

Didn't realize I had put the 'free' in there. Duh, why the heck you I buy a free plan?

Hope they come up with something soon.
If you have thought about taking advantage of the $100 discount on APs, there is a wonderful dining plan (DDE) available that is the biggest discount I have seen on site. I don't particularily think the existing dining plan is an economical choice for everyone.

dianeschlicht said:
If you have thought about taking advantage of the $100 discount on APs, there is a wonderful dining plan (DDE) available that is the biggest discount I have seen on site. I don't particularily think the existing dining plan is an economical choice for everyone.
I agree with this. We, as two adults, prefer full service meals, and usually have 2 lighter full service meals per day...unless we are at AK or DtD...then we have counter meals...

Anyway, it is rare that we we both order appetizers, beverages, entrees, and dessert at any meal. Usually we have a soup or salad apperizer and an entree each, or we order appetizers, split an entree, and order desserts. Our beverage choice is usually, but not always, water (coffee for breakast). We has several meals at Chefs de France and one meal at Calif Grill, so we didn't eat at the "less expensive" full service restaurants.

On our last trip, in June of this year, we ate where we wanted, and what we wanted. Including gratuities, it still worked out a little cheaper than the MYW meal plan would have. We used the DDE as we usually spend 20 days onsite throughout the year.

Yes, DDE is a great deal! One meal at V&A and we'd recouped our investment, and then all our other sit-down meals have been 20% off (and the discount includes all types of beverages, making it an even better deal if you like a glass--or bottle--of wine with dinner). Some of the foodcourts are also included.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter