Why Check-In Online?

scheddj

Take that Tag Fairy - I made my own!!
I checked in on line hoping the room would be ready when we got here but no luck. We always arrive before 4 and they usually have the room ready within 1/2 hour of checking in at the desk. Not complaining because check in at BWV isn’t til 4, just advising for anyone who normally checks in in person and is thinking of trying online.

I checked in on line hoping the room would be ready when we got here but no luck. We always arrive before 4 and they usually have the room ready within 1/2 hour of checking in at the desk. Not complaining because check in at BWV isn’t til 4, just advising for anyone who normally checks in in person and is thinking of trying online.
Checking in online or in person has no bearing on when your room is ready. All rooms are assigned 2-3 days out. You just got unlucky this time. There could be multiple reasons why it wasn't ready early today.

I check in online so I don't have to go wait in a line at the front desk.
Rooms are generally assigned a couple days ahead. Unfortunately with reduced housekeeping staff it may take longer for all rooms to be cleaned.
You could always go wait in line at the front desk to ask if they have another room in your category ready that you could be switched to.

Your situation is somewhat unique since the BWV rooms are being refurbished and they don't have a lot of extra DVC units available from the previous day vs the units the need to be cleaned on your arrival date.

Dave

Online check in is more for being able to skip the front desk and having your room number texted to you. It's not meant to give you early check in. We almost always arrive before 4 and make other plans to amuse ourselves while waiting for the room to be ready.

I’ve never really encountered a line at check-in before and there was no line today so I don’t really see any advantage to it. Just sharing for others who might be thinking of trying it. And we did go to Beaches and Cream for late lunch but now we’re done with that and it’s after 4:30 and still no room.

I generally prefer to check-in online since I don't know in advance whether or not the lobby will be busy. Having said that, it did backfire once in that I scurried through the lobby at GF and went out to the building where my room was only to find out that the Unlock Door feature was not working on neither the app nor my Magic Bands. Therefore, I then had to walk back to the lobby to wait and get keys provided to me (which did work). They acknowledged there was a recurring tech problem and I was not the only one with this problem. This happened about a year ago. I subsequently went another time, took my chances, and it worked successfully so hopefully it was a one-timer. But I would just mention it as an unanticipated downside I had by going straight to my room.

I’ve never really encountered a line at check-in before and there was no line today so I don’t really see any advantage to it. Just sharing for others who might be thinking of trying it. And we did go to Beaches and Cream for late lunch but now we’re done with that and it’s after 4:30 and still no room.
Back before online check in became a thing, there were indeed long lines. I can recall several times waiting over 30 minutes to reach the desk at Boardwalk for check in. One time in particular stands out because we waited at least 40 minutes for our turn, then went to our room only to find that we couldn't open the door. We had to return to the lobby and stand in the line all over again.
On line check in has improved things tremendously.

Last edited:
The main benefit to checking in online is you don't have to go to the front desk. You just never know how long of a line is waiting at the front desk to check in. If you have driven/flown from out of town, the last thing you probably want to do is have to wait in another line. How you choose to check in has nothing to do with room assignments.

I always do the online check-in once I have confirmed my reservation. Then I can forget all about it. No waiting in any line at the front desk, no standing with the cast member forever while they set everything up (I could never understand why this always takes so long!), and lately it seems like they've gotten better giving you more options for entering room requests online.

Since I'm local, I like not having to find something to do until the room is ready. I can just wait until I get the text and head over, it's heavenly!

I actually prefer checking in at the front desk. The lobbies are beautiful and CMs welcoming. They can make sure the Magicbands are working right and give a helpful hint or two. It feels to me like a mini preshow before enjoying the resort. Maybe I'm getting too carried away about it.

One time we were chatting with the CM while checking in. No one was waiting behind us. He said he was changing our room because another room just opened up. We would up with a great view.

One time we were chatting with the CM while checking in. No one was waiting behind us. He said he was changing our room because another room just opened up. We would up with a great view.
I have said something similar many times. Using online check-in denies the WDW Cast Members the opportunity to provide exceptional in person service and virtually eliminates their ability to distribute pixie dust.

To be clear, something like an early check in or a room upgrade is not something anyone is entitled to, but it is always a welcome bit of magic when it happens. And... there are occasions when a person using online check in will find that their room has been upgraded, times when Disney's reservation blocking unexpectedly requires it. That said, random room upgrades do become available and front desk CMs will take a peek to see what's there, especially if they see that you're celebrating something (which, honestly is like most people there).

It might sound counterintuitive, but you're not doing the CMs a favor by using online check in. You're making them redundant.

I have said something similar many times. Using online check-in denies the WDW Cast Members the opportunity to provide exceptional in person service and virtually eliminates their ability to distribute pixie dust.

To be clear, something like an early check in or a room upgrade is not something anyone is entitled to, but it is always a welcome bit of magic when it happens. And... there are occasions when a person using online check in will find that their room has been upgraded, times when Disney's reservation blocking unexpectedly requires it. That said, random room upgrades do become available and front desk CMs will take a peek to see what's there, especially if they see that you're celebrating something (which, honestly is like most people there).

It might sound counterintuitive, but you're not doing the CMs a favor by using online check in. You're making them redundant.
On the other hand, doing online checkin doesn't mean you can't go to the front desk on arrival and ask about your room location, whether you've gotten the text/push notification or not. Online checkin just gets the process of linking a credit card to your account done. So the CM can talk to you without being distracted by that procedure.

On the other hand, doing online checkin doesn't mean you can't go to the front desk on arrival and ask about your room location, whether you've gotten the text/push notification or not. Online checkin just gets the process of linking a credit card to your account done. So the CM can talk to you without being distracted by that procedure.

This is true. I have on-line checked in before and went to the front desk when I got to the hotel anyway and got a room quicker, or got to choose my location.

I have also wondered if I choose an earlier check in time on online check in, if you would get a room faster. Not sure it matters at all what time you put honestly

We do online check-in AND stop by the front desk every time. We have to link my mom's credit card to her MB. Frankly, I'm glad that there is online check-in since if everyone had to stop by the desk, the lines would be enormous! Hated that from back in the day.

I love going to the lobby to check in. We fly in from abroad so we're not heading to any parks, but like to look around the main hub, grab some water and milk for the room, maybe my first souvenir from the store, and eat some QS for dinner, before collapsing into bed.

In 2022 UK guests received a gift bag at check in. It was a large Mickey cool bag with lots of edible treats, Disney ponchos, pins, mousemats, Disney refillable drink bottles, all wrapped up in a big red bow 😍 That was the best check in we've had.

Online check in is currently not working for me… however I had planned to call up a few days prior to arrival to request a building.. does anyone know if I’ll still be able to do that even if I haven’t checked in online first?

We always do it to just go right to the room. I feel like it worked better when you could put in an actual arrival time not just before 3 (or 4 whatever it says).

We actually stayed at three different resorts this time. Our check in was odd, maybe just coincidence though. The first day we stayed at Coronado. We were in town about 1 I’d say and hadn’t gotten the text our room was ready. We decided to just head there and figured we’d explore. We got through the security gate and before we parked, we got the room ready text.

The next day we went to Disney springs for lunch, then over to yacht club. Same thing happened. We decided to just head over. Went trough the gate, and before we were parked we got the room ready text. It was probably about 1 also.

Like I said, not sure if coincidence but odd we didn’t get a text but once we were scanned in at the guard gate our room was ready within a minute both days.

Later in the week we went to sports for two nights. About 3 we didn’t have the text, but my parents were ready for a break so they just took the bus over and went to the front desk. The room was ready (unless they just assigned us a different one).

Made me think maybe we are just better off heading over whenever and going to the desk.

We always do it to just go right to the room. I feel like it worked better when you could put in an actual arrival time not just before 3 (or 4 whatever it says).
Yea the good old days but those times were to support the Magical Express transfers from the Airport. Once they scanned your MB the system notified the resort. It really reduced backups at the Front desk.
Made me think maybe we are just better off heading over whenever and going to the desk.
We always do both Online check-in and stop by the Front desk to verify our room requests or ask for a different room if available. Online check-in allows for having the right credit card assigned and any updates to the PIN numbers. It really shortens the stop at the Front desk.

We never make requests via Online check-in. They are limited and don't cover our favorite areas. We always call the reservation number at least 20 days before arrival well before the reservation is transferred to the resort.

Dave

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter