Why do people lurk?

Lizardbeth61

<font color=green>Are all these berries edible?</f
. . . I'm not criticizing. I'm just curious. When I first found the boards, I posted as soon as I was able. Did I miss something by not lurking first . . . or is it just a matter of wanting to avoid being flamed until you know what brings out the torches? That I could understand. I've been flamed a few times. Anyway, just wondering about the benefits of lurking.

I think some people are just shy, even on the internet. And are waiting until they feel more comfortable, when they read a thread they feel comfortable with answering, they jump aboard. Hopefully other Diser's will make them feel welcome, thats the whole idea of the "welcome" board.

I admit, I tend to lurk for a while before joining an Internet community. It really is a comfort thing for me. I like to take a while and familiarize myself with the surroundings before jumping into anything.
Cheers,
Q
:drinking1

I lurked for a while myself. and I still don't post a LOT. The main reason...the questions have been asked. I only post a new question if I think it's new or want some new feedback. And I only answer if I have something to say. So, maybe I'm still a little bit of a "lurker"...but I sure use the boards a lot to get good info! :idea:

de-lurking--

I've been lurking for several weeks. As for not having posted before now, I didn't feel the need. All the questions I have/had have been answered multiple times. It also tends to be a comfort thing for me, sort of feeling out the board before diving in.

I don't respond unless I have something to say that hasn't ALREADY been said (sometimes ad nauseum) on the particular thread I'm reading. I guess the definition of "lurking" varies (like everything else) amongst everyone.

Jane
:wave2:

to participate........DEE was the first person that chatted with me and I still appreciate her friendship almost five years later...I was scared to death of a place that I could actually "talk" to other people. My husband actually found me the "DIS" after looking at all the other sites dealing with Disney. This was far the best and still is in my book......
WELCOME TO THE DELURKERS......

I agree with the other posters that it seems to be a case of "question has already been asked" or "it has already been said." I find myself scanning for threads that have just started so I can put in my two cents before somebody else says what I was going to say!! :)

There is also a certain amount of being cautious in postings since if you offend someone without meaning to (which very easily happens) you end up getting flamed!

This was my first discussion board ever! And is my favorite!! :teeth:
I spent some time figuring out what was what and making a list of questions.
I must admit I still lurk on other boards. Just gleening what info I can. If I felt the need to ask a question I wouldn't hesitate to register and post.

Kimba

Count me in as one of the shy ones! When you are shy it is sometimes very difficult to give consequence to your "own" opinions. You tell yourself, "oh, they've already answered much better than I could". My New Year's Resolution was to work on being more outgoing. I probably have one of the longest lurking streaks. LOL As you can see by my post count (I admit, on one of the board changes I lost a few but not many). I guess I need lurkers anonymous.

You can count me in also as quite the lurker. I don't usually have much to add to things that has not already been said. There have been a few times that I thought I could add a few new points to discussions so I spoke up then. Mostly I guess lurking still gets us what we come here for, and that is Disney info. Not to mention, I guess I am on the shy side.

I also used to be quite shy when it came to communicating in this type of medium (ah, who am I kidding? In any type of medium!); I lurked on a hockey board of which I was a member for a couple of years before posting anything, and even then I was all nervous that everyone would think--with that one post--that I was a giant dork or whatever. :blush: :laughing: I guess with increased posting comes increased bravado, 'cause now I can't shut up!

mikki said:
I probably have one of the longest lurking streaks. LOL As you can see by my post count (I admit, on one of the board changes I lost a few but not many). I guess I need lurkers anonymous.

I am right there with you! I remember Pete's first board when there were about 6 posts per day! It took me a month or so to register the last time! I even changed my tag to 'long time lurker'!! :)

I'll have to second the thought that everything that's worth saying has probably already been said by someone else -- I'm always thinking that on message boards. Once in awhile, I'll also consider that I may accidentally offend another member when posting. So yea, I'm right there with you guys on those points. :blush: I never had this problem online until about a year ago. I used to be just fine with posting on message boards and saying the first thing that came to mind, but I guess I got a little self conscious somewhere along the way. Ridiculous, I know. :blush: I'm somewhat new, but I'll try not to lurk too often on this board.

I am a recovering lurkaholic.

#1 reason for lurking: shyness :blush:
#2 reason: didn't want to look stupid :crazy:

Oh-- I guess I didn't know I was a "luker." For me, it was just being cautious about the web. However, there is so much great information on this sight I finally decided to join and post when I felt like I had something to add or when I had a question. This is a great source of information! Thanks to whoever put this together and keeps it going!

I was a lurker for a few weeks, just to see how things worked. Then I asked a few questions and booked my trip. Now I am reading alot and learning alot, but not posting that much!

I confess - I'm a lurker. Planning on being a contributor. :flower:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter