Why not on Wonder?

Laura24

Sleep tight Mickey
I have this nagging question over and over about this virus.....why has it not affected The Wonder? Is it the incubation period is long in comparison to the length of the cruise?

I have this nagging question over and over about this virus.....why has it not affected The Wonder? Is it the incubation period is long in comparison to the length of the cruise?
I've wondered the same thing Laura. I was on the 4 day 11/3 Wonder cruise and I didn't notice anyone sick. We had a fabulous time.
I did read somewhere on these boards though that there were a few ill on the 11/7 (Wonder). I don't know, maybe this wasn't the Norwalk virus :confused:

That question keeps entering my mind too, but I keep pushing it to the back ... we'll be on the Wonder this Sunday!! I plan to be extra careful about hygiene (already I have the kids singing the whole Happy Birthday song as they wash their hands, to ensure they wash long enough),and am assuming that the practices recently put into place on the Magic will also be followed on the Wonder.

Keeping my fingers crossed, too!!! :D

I was on the 11/7 Wonder. Didn't hear about or see anyone sick on board. Just counting our blessings that we eluded the "Norwalk". Had a fabulous time.
Will definately do it again - the 7 day, though. 3 days was not enough!

Unfortuantly, it struck the Magic. It is probably just that one or two people came down with the illness (remember, anyone anyplace can come down with it) and since it passes so easily, spread to more which gave it to more who gave it to more until it got out of control (ok, spread to about 5% of the passengers and crew). It does its damage - passengers get off - new passengers get on - but the virus is still in the air and repeats itself.

Now, the Carnival ship has been struck - and that was a 3-day cruise. Just must really be brought on by one or two sick people. Odds are - it will happen again. Odds are - it will happen elsewhere because Carnival, Holland America, and all have many, many more ships.

Odds are - it won't happen to Disney for a long time to come.

that the now *three* affected ships share a common port, say in the Eastern or Western Caribbean? There must be some sort of connection limiting it to one ship of each cruise line so far. Just another puzzling thought.:confused:

This answer is really pretty simple. ONE single person coming on board the ship can spread it very,very quickly. Unfortunately that person got on the Magic. That is one of the realities the cruise lines are facing, they can clean till the end of time and if a new passenger comes on board with the illness it is right back again. This virus is ALL over the place. Do a search on the web for Norwalk Virus. It affects hospitals, camps, any place that people gather. It really is not neccesary to have a common port or anything else.
I hope everyone realizes that this is NOTHING new... here is a link to a norwalk virus outbreak on Princess Cruise in 1977!

CDC

What I am trying to say is this has happend before and it WILL happen again. This time the news media caught on and is making a big deal out of it.

cycle may not be through for quite a while. I was thinking the same thought about the ships being completely cleaned and then another *incubating the virus* person boards and starts the cycle over again. Is this a lost cause....cleaning and recleaning? Maybe the thing to do is just let time take its course and hope it exhausts itself somehow. Isn't it common knowledge that when trying to kill off some sort of * super germ*, we also do away with the *good* bugs and create bigger super bugs? I understand this has happened before, however, it's just another opportuniy for the media to jump on a story and beat the horse beyond death. This is just todays flavor of the hour....something else will come along and steal the spotlight and finally allow it to R.I.P.

I remember hearing on the news a year or 2 ago how many football teams were passing this virus to each other AND the opposing team:eek: ! They went into great detail about the virus being found on even the football itself. Yuck!

I agree with Alex,

It is passing from person to person and all it takes is one or two people coming on board with it. The virus itself must be going through the Florida area now which is why the cruises leaving Florida ports are being affected.

When the Alaskan cruises had problems last year, I would bet that the illness was going through the Pacific Northwest then.

It is just one of those things. I do believe that Disney did the right thing trying to break the cycle. At least it may cut down on the number of people getting sick on further cruises. You probably will not be able to delete the problem until it runs its course in Florida.

I am booked on the Carnival Fascination next week. I am not going to cancel at this point. However, I am not optomistic that the cruise will go. But, that is life.

Vicki

DCL is trying very hard to keep common points of contact from becoming points where cross-contamination could take place. That includes the terminal, the buses, and Castaway Cay. Some very good friends of ours were on the 11/23 cruise and they reported that as their day at Castaway Cay (last Friday) was winding down, CM's in hazmat suits were standing by to do a thorough decontamination of CCay!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter