Will be in Japan for Christmas!!!! HELP please!!!

isabellea

Combining beach and Disney!
DH was offered a great contract for 3 months in South Korea (Ulsan) this month and I just learned that his company offered to pay for plane tickets for me and our two daughters (3 and 6yo) in business class from Montreal to Seoul. We were thinking that I will join him in Seoul after his contract ends December 8 where we'll stay 4-5 days until we recover from jet lag (a 13h time difference) and to visit Seoul. Then I want to go to Japan for 2 weeks and come back to Canada between Christmas and New Year.

I am OVERWHELMED!!! Asia was never on my vacation radar but this offer is too good to pass. I am really excited to visit Japan but have NO CLUE where to start. I know that I want to go to Tokyo Disneyland for 2-3 days and that's about it.

I really need the help of experts. Do you have any suggestions on books or websites for the planning? What hotels should I consider (not deluxe)? Other than Disneyland, what are the must to do with young kids? Other than the obvious Tokyo and Kyoto, is there nice cities or regions to visit? When should we schedule Disneyland relative to Christmas? Should we spend Christmas there or avoid the resort because of crowds?

I really need your expert opinions as I won't have a lot of time to plan, especially when I will be alone with the kids for 3 months. Luckily my boss agreed to decrease my hours while DH will be gone to 21h a week so I have more flexibility. I am the planner in the family and DH won't be able to help much with a 72h/week schedule at work in S. Korea.

Thank you in advance!
Isabelle

My kids are the same ages as yours. :) I'm planning a trip for next year. It's a side trip though, so we might only stay 1 week and use TDR as a base. I'm planning 1 day Disneyland and 2 days DisneySea (since it's so different from other Disney parks). I got the book Travelers Series Guide to Tokyo Disneyland & Tokyo DisneySea, it has descriptions of all the rides (with comparisons to Disneyland Anaheim and Disney World) and the restaurants. I'm sure you can find the info online, but I liked having it in book form. I wish it listed height requirements for the rides though.

Here's a crowd calendar for TDR:
http://tdrnavi.jp/forecast/disneyland?lang=en

We are also planning to go to Odaiba (based on recommendations from posters on this board). I saw a futuristic ferry (Himiko) from Odaiba to Asakusa that looked really cool. I'm still thinking about Sanrio Puroland (Hello Kitty) and possibly going to Nikko. It looks very picturesque and there is Edo Wonderland for the kids, it would require extending our stay though.

DH and I have been to Japan before pre-kids. For you trip, I would also recommend you take a look at Arashiyama, which you can do as a day trip from Kyoto. There's a cute street with shopping and restaurants, a bamboo forest, and a monkey park. We also really liked Miyajima, which you can get to by ferry near Hiroshima (we stayed 1 night on the way to Kyoto). It's gorgeous and your kids might like the gondola and deer all around the island.

Have a great trip! Maybe you'll have some tips for me when you get back. :)

Japan is amazing - you will love it! There is no end to the amount of stuff to see and do - and it is the safest, most polite, cleanest country I've ever visited!!!

Japan-Guide is by far the most useful site we found for making itineraries: http://www.japan-guide.com/

If you plan to take trains in Japan - and you should - they are quick, dependable, and easy! - Hyperdia is essential: www.hyperdia.com/en/ (there are also apps for iPhone and Android)

There are many hotels in Japan...just do tons of research so you know what to expect (and FYI: Japanese hotel rooms are SMALL.) We like www.Booking.com. The main things we look for are proximity to a train station (this is very important to us since we need to transport our luggage and don't want to spend money on taxis when the trains are so awesome), number and size of beds, and non-smoking rooms. We didn't stay in any deluxe hotels (nothing near deluxe, actually), but our hotels were ALWAYS squeaky clean and staffed by extremely nice people. That's just how Japan is.

Sanrio Puroland, the Cup Noodles museum in Yokohama, and Odaiba in Tokyo would be good indoor options for kids in December - you'll want to pay attention to the weather before planning too many outdoor sites. It could be very cold then. If weather permits, Ueno Zoo is fun and the monkey park in Kyoto is awesome (as long as you don't mind a 30 minute, uphill hike to get there - it's not THAT bad).

We stayed in Shin-Osaka and visited Kyoto, Osaka, Nara (awesome little city filled with deer and a Buddhist temple with 3 very large Buddhas), Himeji (castle that you can explore all the way to the top), and Hiroshima. Kyoto is difficult to get around since they don't have a city-wide train system so you have to rely on busses, but there are many beautiful temples and shrines...for the record, most people LOVE Kyoto, but I think it's just ok.

I'm not sure how much you have to worry about Christmas crowds - Japan is not a Christian country so they don't exactly celebrate xmas...that's not to say that there won't be xmas trees and Santa and all that EVERYWHERE, though. We were there for Easter (actually, 2 weeks after) and they no shortage of bunnies and eggs and all that!

Keep in mind, though, that New Years is a VERY major holiday in Japan. Things may be closed at the end of December for that. (Not Disney, though.)

If you are interested, my husband and I werre in Japan in April and we made a Facebook page with tons of photos. We tried to include useful and relevant info with them. (https://facebook.com/bc7ate9) This link should take you to all our albums - they're separated by day right now which isn't especially useful, but we're happy to try to answer any questions! - https://www.facebook.com/bc7ate9/photos_stream?tab=photos_albums

We took lots of photos at the Disney Resort - including many of the menus and things like that - they may be useful for your future trip planning:

Disneyland - https://m.facebook.com/bc7ate9/albums/651425498325153/

DisneySea - https://m.facebook.com/bc7ate9/albums/650433725090997/

Disney Resort (Ikspiari, Disneyland Hotel) - https://m.facebook.com/bc7ate9/albums/646012995533070/

I would expect TDR to be fairly busy on Christmas. Its true that Japan is not a christian country so the holiday doesn't hold the same religious meaning however, Christmas is one of the biggest date nights of the year. Its better to go before Christmas - preferably while Japanese schools are still in session, but if you do go on Christmas day - I would suggest to get their early, prioritize the rides you really want to ride and go in with a plan of attack.

If you go to Yokohama - there is Kid O Kid World in the MarkIs mall, in the Minato Mirai area, that is an indoor children's play area. Also in the Minato Mirai area is a mall called World Porters and they have a Sylvanian Family Kitchen (http://sylvanian-families.jp/shop/kitchen/yokohama_wp/) that is popular with little girls. It is a little pricey and there is a Sylvanian Family toy shop attached that can make it even pricier, but very cute. I find most of the Minato Mirai area really family friendly and a great place to visit and shop.

In Odaiba - there is a Lego Discovery Center that is good for younger kids. It is nothing like Legoland in San Diego. There is one ride, the rest are small attractions, areas to build stuff, big play area,etc. If my kids were as young as yours - I wouldn't bother with Joypolis. Its kind of small area of rides that are good for the younger set, but there are lots of rides geared for older ages including several graphic looking horror rides. If you do opt to go to Joypolis - bring your foreigner passport as you can get a discount with it.

If you are in the Harajuku area there is the new Kawaii Monster Cafe. I just took my 8 year old daughter there yesterday. The desserts and drinks are pretty pricey and there is a cover charge of 500yen per person/per zone, but my daughter loved the crazy cuteness of it and loved pictures with the monster girls. I saw even younger kids there too. Its not a scary place, but definitely interesting if not a bit overstimulating :P. (http://kawaiimonster.jp/)

In the winter time there are many areas that do Winter Illuminations - which is basically areas where they set up tons of Christmas lights. There are some pretty massive displays and often times going to see them is free or low cost entry.

On a side note, while you are in Seoul (I love Seoul!) if you decide to go to LotteWorld - I recommend you go there *before* you go to Tokyo Disney. I did the other way around and it kind of tainted my view of LotteWorld. LOL

Have a great trip!!!

Just a note - I have been in Japan at Christmas time (mainly Tokyo) and it is not really celebrated there. There are not Christmas tress everywhere and I never saw one Santa either. No special store sales, no events, etc. The Disney parks are not extensively decorated for the holiday. I'm not sure that the parks are more crowded on Christmas than any other day that time of year.

I recommend spending more time at DisneySea than Tokyo Disney.

My kids are the same ages as yours. :) I'm planning a trip for next year. It's a side trip though, so we might only stay 1 week and use TDR as a base. I'm planning 1 day Disneyland and 2 days DisneySea (since it's so different from other Disney parks). I got the book Travelers Series Guide to Tokyo Disneyland & Tokyo DisneySea, it has descriptions of all the rides (with comparisons to Disneyland Anaheim and Disney World) and the restaurants. I'm sure you can find the info online, but I liked having it in book form. I wish it listed height requirements for the rides though.

Here's a crowd calendar for TDR:
http://tdrnavi.jp/forecast/disneyland?lang=en

We are also planning to go to Odaiba (based on recommendations from posters on this board). I saw a futuristic ferry (Himiko) from Odaiba to Asakusa that looked really cool. I'm still thinking about Sanrio Puroland (Hello Kitty) and possibly going to Nikko. It looks very picturesque and there is Edo Wonderland for the kids, it would require extending our stay though.

DH and I have been to Japan before pre-kids. For you trip, I would also recommend you take a look at Arashiyama, which you can do as a day trip from Kyoto. There's a cute street with shopping and restaurants, a bamboo forest, and a monkey park. We also really liked Miyajima, which you can get to by ferry near Hiroshima (we stayed 1 night on the way to Kyoto). It's gorgeous and your kids might like the gondola and deer all around the island.

Have a great trip! Maybe you'll have some tips for me when you get back. :)

Thank you for the link and suggestions!

Looks like the crowds Monday-Thursday the weeks before Christmas will be low. I tentatively booked TDR for the Dec. 14-18 (1 day at Disneyland and 2 days at DisneySea like you. I got a good price on Booking.com for Okura Tokyo Bay, an official Disney resort. Especially when compared to the Disney resorts! I wanted the Hilton (sold out for 4) or the Sheraton (100$ more per night) but I think the Okura will be nice. I hope!

I will have to check what Odaiba is and I'm sure DH would like a futuristic ferry!I will also check out Nikko and Edo Wonderland... Total we have 2 full weeks in Japan (and 1 week in South Korea) so I can include a few kid stuffs in my schedule. Already thinking of going to Sanrio Puroland for my oldest who loves Hello Kitty.

Right after Disney, I plan on going to Kyoto for 3 nights (Dec 18-21) and booked Sunroute Hotel Kyoto for a great rate (less than 200$/night). I was told we should visit Nara while in Kyoto so that's on my list so far for this city and thanks to you Arashima also made the list!

I will probably write a trip report for those traveling with young kids and I will write reviews on Trip Advisor also. I'll make sure to let you know!

Japan is amazing - you will love it! There is no end to the amount of stuff to see and do - and it is the safest, most polite, cleanest country I've ever visited!!!

Japan-Guide is by far the most useful site we found for making itineraries: http://www.japan-guide.com/

If you plan to take trains in Japan - and you should - they are quick, dependable, and easy! - Hyperdia is essential: www.hyperdia.com/en/ (there are also apps for iPhone and Android)

There are many hotels in Japan...just do tons of research so you know what to expect (and FYI: Japanese hotel rooms are SMALL.) We like www.Booking.com. The main things we look for are proximity to a train station (this is very important to us since we need to transport our luggage and don't want to spend money on taxis when the trains are so awesome), number and size of beds, and non-smoking rooms. We didn't stay in any deluxe hotels (nothing near deluxe, actually), but our hotels were ALWAYS squeaky clean and staffed by extremely nice people. That's just how Japan is.

Sanrio Puroland, the Cup Noodles museum in Yokohama, and Odaiba in Tokyo would be good indoor options for kids in December - you'll want to pay attention to the weather before planning too many outdoor sites. It could be very cold then. If weather permits, Ueno Zoo is fun and the monkey park in Kyoto is awesome (as long as you don't mind a 30 minute, uphill hike to get there - it's not THAT bad).

We stayed in Shin-Osaka and visited Kyoto, Osaka, Nara (awesome little city filled with deer and a Buddhist temple with 3 very large Buddhas), Himeji (castle that you can explore all the way to the top), and Hiroshima. Kyoto is difficult to get around since they don't have a city-wide train system so you have to rely on busses, but there are many beautiful temples and shrines...for the record, most people LOVE Kyoto, but I think it's just ok.

I'm not sure how much you have to worry about Christmas crowds - Japan is not a Christian country so they don't exactly celebrate xmas...that's not to say that there won't be xmas trees and Santa and all that EVERYWHERE, though. We were there for Easter (actually, 2 weeks after) and they no shortage of bunnies and eggs and all that!

Keep in mind, though, that New Years is a VERY major holiday in Japan. Things may be closed at the end of December for that. (Not Disney, though.)

If you are interested, my husband and I werre in Japan in April and we made a Facebook page with tons of photos. We tried to include useful and relevant info with them. (https://facebook.com/bc7ate9) This link should take you to all our albums - they're separated by day right now which isn't especially useful, but we're happy to try to answer any questions! - https://www.facebook.com/bc7ate9/photos_stream?tab=photos_albums

We took lots of photos at the Disney Resort - including many of the menus and things like that - they may be useful for your future trip planning:

Disneyland - https://m.facebook.com/bc7ate9/albums/651425498325153/

DisneySea - https://m.facebook.com/bc7ate9/albums/650433725090997/

Disney Resort (Ikspiari, Disneyland Hotel) - https://m.facebook.com/bc7ate9/albums/646012995533070/

Thank you for your advices. The weather is not something we worry too much. We live in Canada so we're used to the cold and 10-13C during the day is not bad. In fact, I just bought some fleece-lined leggings and nice duvet fall jackets for the girls with our trip in mind. I would have preferred a trip in the Spring but free plane tickets are hard to say no to, even if that means we'll be there in December. Planning on leaving Japan Dec 23 for S. Korea to return home on Dec. 26 so we won't be affected by the New Year celebrations.

I am debating about visiting Osaka and Hiroshima... Any interesting things to see or visit?

I added now follow your page on Facebook! Will have to look at those albums more carefully when I will have more time! My name is Isabelle Angers in case I comment!

I would expect TDR to be fairly busy on Christmas. Its true that Japan is not a christian country so the holiday doesn't hold the same religious meaning however, Christmas is one of the biggest date nights of the year. Its better to go before Christmas - preferably while Japanese schools are still in session, but if you do go on Christmas day - I would suggest to get their early, prioritize the rides you really want to ride and go in with a plan of attack.

If you go to Yokohama - there is Kid O Kid World in the MarkIs mall, in the Minato Mirai area, that is an indoor children's play area. Also in the Minato Mirai area is a mall called World Porters and they have a Sylvanian Family Kitchen (http://sylvanian-families.jp/shop/kitchen/yokohama_wp/) that is popular with little girls. It is a little pricey and there is a Sylvanian Family toy shop attached that can make it even pricier, but very cute. I find most of the Minato Mirai area really family friendly and a great place to visit and shop.

In Odaiba - there is a Lego Discovery Center that is good for younger kids. It is nothing like Legoland in San Diego. There is one ride, the rest are small attractions, areas to build stuff, big play area,etc. If my kids were as young as yours - I wouldn't bother with Joypolis. Its kind of small area of rides that are good for the younger set, but there are lots of rides geared for older ages including several graphic looking horror rides. If you do opt to go to Joypolis - bring your foreigner passport as you can get a discount with it.

If you are in the Harajuku area there is the new Kawaii Monster Cafe. I just took my 8 year old daughter there yesterday. The desserts and drinks are pretty pricey and there is a cover charge of 500yen per person/per zone, but my daughter loved the crazy cuteness of it and loved pictures with the monster girls. I saw even younger kids there too. Its not a scary place, but definitely interesting if not a bit overstimulating :P. (http://kawaiimonster.jp/)

In the winter time there are many areas that do Winter Illuminations - which is basically areas where they set up tons of Christmas lights. There are some pretty massive displays and often times going to see them is free or low cost entry.

On a side note, while you are in Seoul (I love Seoul!) if you decide to go to LotteWorld - I recommend you go there *before* you go to Tokyo Disney. I did the other way around and it kind of tainted my view of LotteWorld. LOL

Have a great trip!!!

Thank you for your pointers! If you have any advice on Seoul I would love to read them! I haven't started looking at that part of our trip yet...

Just a note - I have been in Japan at Christmas time (mainly Tokyo) and it is not really celebrated there. There are not Christmas tress everywhere and I never saw one Santa either. No special store sales, no events, etc. The Disney parks are not extensively decorated for the holiday. I'm not sure that the parks are more crowded on Christmas than any other day that time of year.

I recommend spending more time at DisneySea than Tokyo Disney.

According to a crowd predictor website, they expect closure on Christmas. But like I wrote above, we plan on visiting Disney on Dec 14-18. Like you suggested, DisneySea will be out main goal. Cannot wait to see it!!!

I will have to check what Odaiba is and I'm sure DH would like a futuristic ferry!I will also check out Nikko and Edo Wonderland...

I've been doing more research and saw that Nikko also has Tobu World Square, which has miniature scale reproduction of world sites. It looks really fun for the kids.

For Odaiba, we're planning to go to Toyota Mega Web. Originally I thought the kids could drive around mini cars that look like real cars, but then I found out that they are required to know Japanese. I'm really bummed about that, the cars look really cute. DH is into cars, so he still wants to go. We'll probably go to Legoland Discovery Center too, even though we've been to Legoland San Diego several times. It looks different enough to be worth a stop and the kids love legos. If we have time, also the Miraikan (science museum).

I am debating about visiting Osaka and Hiroshima... Any interesting things to see or visit?

Osaka - Universal Studios with the Harry Potter land. They also have what may be the largest aquarium and ferris wheel in the world. The ferris wheel has "glass" carriages which are pretty cool. And the Umeda Sky Building.

Hiroshima - Peace Memorial Park and Museum (although some of the museum exhibits could be traumatic for children), Hiroshima Castle and Miyajima Island.

I've been doing more research and saw that Nikko also has Tobu World Square, which has miniature scale reproduction of world sites. It looks really fun for the kids.

For Odaiba, we're planning to go to Toyota Mega Web. Originally I thought the kids could drive around mini cars that look like real cars, but then I found out that they are required to know Japanese. I'm really bummed about that, the cars look really cute. DH is into cars, so he still wants to go. We'll probably go to Legoland Discovery Center too, even though we've been to Legoland San Diego several times. It looks different enough to be worth a stop and the kids love legos. If we have time, also the Miraikan (science museum).

Sounds fun! DH might like going to the Toyota place and science is for me! I will check all that thank you!

Osaka - Universal Studios with the Harry Potter land. They also have what may be the largest aquarium and ferris wheel in the world. The ferris wheel has "glass" carriages which are pretty cool. And the Umeda Sky Building.

Hiroshima - Peace Memorial Park and Museum (although some of the museum exhibits could be traumatic for children), Hiroshima Castle and Miyajima Island.

Thank you. The aquarium and ferris wheel sound interesting! My youngest LOVES aquariums! But I think we will skip Universal Studios since we're going to FL every year and California is in the plans for summer 2017. I will probably skip the Hiroshima Museum too with 3 and 6 yo kids (would have gone if it had been just adults). I will check the castle and Miyajima...

All your answers are really helpful! Time goes by way too quickly and without all those advices I wouldn't have known where to start looking! Thank you!

Okay, here's what I know. Miyajima Island is definitely a lot of fun if you go to Hiroshima. The peace park should be okay for children but the museum is probably a little too much for kids, especially as they may not understand the significance. When I went to the museum they showed a video chronicling the bombing and subsequent recovery and it's extremely graphic.

We went over to the hot springs in the Hakone area (not far from Tokyo just an hour or two away) and enjoyed it immensely. It is worth noting however that the hot springs (at least the ones we went in) were sulfur hot springs and my body and clothing smelled like rotten eggs for a while. Still, it's a great experience. Also if your kids like hiking there is some more mild hiking near the base of Mount Fuji so you can say you climbed (at least some of) it. It might be a bit cold in the winter though.

If there is a festival in any of the areas you'll be at go to it. I can't think of any off the top of my head that will be celebrated when you're there (mostly they're in the summer if I recall) but they're great fun.

Kyoto is lots of fun so I'm glad to hear you're going. I guess I would say try and do all the fun things you can especially if your girls are adventurous. One of the girls I was with wanted to go to a rotating sushi bar which was so cool and all of the food in Japan was awesome. I still crave takoyaki.

One of the girls I was with wanted to go to a rotating sushi bar which was so cool and all of the food in Japan was awesome. I still crave takoyaki.

My DS loves the rotating sushi places. One opened up near our house (in California) and he wants to go every week.... I love all kinds of Japanese food. I wasn't sure if OP does, so I didn't mention these, but since we're on the subject.... :) At Odaiba there is a rotating sushi place where you can also place individual orders via iPad and it will come to your spot on a miniature Shinkansen! It looks sooo fun!
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura..._Tokyo-Koto_Tokyo_Tokyo_Prefecture_Kanto.html

At Odaiba, there is also a ramen theme park (a food court with all ramen) and a takoyaki museum (also a food court but with all takoyaki). This is making me hungry.... :)

What is takoyaki? I personally don't like fish or seafood but DH and DD (3yo) LOVE it. Will have to try a great sushi place for them. Worst case scenario, oldest DD (6yo) and I will grab something else to eat after if the restaurant doesn't offer other types of food. For food, what I really want to try is Kobe beef, even if I have to share to afford it!

What is takoyaki? I personally don't like fish or seafood but DH and DD (3yo) LOVE it. Will have to try a great sushi place for them. Worst case scenario, oldest DD (6yo) and I will grab something else to eat after if the restaurant doesn't offer other types of food. For food, what I really want to try is Kobe beef, even if I have to share to afford it!

Takoyaki are dough balls with a piece of octopus inside. There are different styles, but the most classic have a sweet soy sauce based sauce, Japanese mayo, and dried bonito (fish) flakes on top. The best ones are a little crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Tako means octopus, so that part is probably obligatory. :)

Takoyaki are dough balls with a piece of octopus inside. There are different styles, but the most classic have a sweet soy sauce based sauce, Japanese mayo, and dried bonito (fish) flakes on top. The best ones are a little crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Tako means octopus, so that part is probably obligatory. :)

I've tried fried octopus before so I might try one... DH will for sure. ;)

The one I went to while mostly sushi did have a few non-fish items between appetizers and dessert. I recall them having green tea cake as part of the dessert so I imagine there would be something for you.

While still on the subject of food (one of the things I enjoyed most about Japan) other recommendations I can think of are ice cream in a tube (available at grocery stores), melon bread (pretty much regular bread with a melon kind of flavor), and trying different drinks. That was one of our favorite parts was going to a vending machine and getting something we had no idea what it was. Some were awful but most were good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter