Will you boycott Portofino and the other Loews Hotels because of this issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaryAnnDVC

"Mare", DISing since '99; prefers being tagless
I saw on FB today, and looked back to when it started...apparently Monday night was the first post by an irate member...that they have adopted a new policy of trapping feral cats and sending them to a shelter where, people claim, the cats will be killed.

On their Facebook page, Loews Portifino Bay Hotel stated:
“Loews Hotels is a pet-friendly hotel brand and we support the humane treatment of animals. It is important to share the facts surrounding this issue. Feral cats at our Orlando hotels are being humanely trapped and taken to a local shelter. For liability reasons, we were advised not to maintain a cat colony in our hotel environment. All cats that were part of an established colony on property are being safely re-located. Our commitment to addressing this issue in a humane and responsible way will continue.
There's been a huge outcry against them on FB, calls for boycotts, canceling of reservations, threats to contact the media.

Would you change your plans based on this new policy?

Portofino's most recent statement on FB:
Loews Portofino Bay Hotel & Loews Royal Pacific Resort
We have heard your concerns about the feral cat issue and we respect your opinions. Some of you have offered options that we will consider. Any action we take will make the health and safety of our guests and team members our top priority. Thanks!

HECK NO! I have a family member that is highly allergic to cats so I support their efforts!

My point of view.Feral animals of any type are prone to disease,rabies comes to mind for one.

Ask yourself this,would you like to see a family of raccooon's roaming the property?Probally not.A colony of feral cat's are no nicer then 'coons and are just as dangerous....

People on FB need to take a chill pill!!!:sad2:

This is a humane way of dealing with the problem.This comes from a huge cat lover!!

Loews is a pet-friendly hotel, yes, but they can't have a colony of cats roaming the property.

Now maybe if a Harry Potter hotel opened and they could be used as Professor McGonagall...

no, nor would I any other hotel.

Rabies is rare in cats but it's a concern with any wild animal that makes unusual contact with people.

The thing is that it's not like these homeless cats just showed up and they decided to round them up. They were (or they gave someone permission to) feeding these cats, had them neutered and vaccinated, and now they are taking these cats that trusted them and knew it was safe to eat at the little feeding stations they put out, and they trap them and bring them to a shelter knowing that they are going to be put to sleep. That's just not right.:sad2:

If they have to get them off the property, at least find a no-kill shelter.

I don't know how long those cats have been around, but we were there for a week last summer and never saw a cat.

We were thinking of going back this year, but now no way.

do you know for sure that they gave someone permission to feed the cats. i know at my jobs there are cats that people feed and we are repeatedly asked not to but people still sneak and do it. I feel this is a health issue and at most they could try and find a shelter that wont kill them but it is their priority to first keep the humans safe not the animals.

The thing is that it's not like these homeless cats just showed up and they decided to round them up. They were (or they gave someone permission to) feeding these cats, had them neutered and vaccinated, and now they are taking these cats that trusted them and knew it was safe to eat at the little feeding stations they put out, and they trap them and bring them to a shelter knowing that they are going to be put to sleep. That's just not right.:sad2:

If they have to get them off the property, at least find a no-kill shelter.

I don't know how long those cats have been around, but we were there for a week last summer and never saw a cat.

We were thinking of going back this year, but now no way.

If the cats were tame enough to be be neutered and vaccinated then i'd venture they could've been adopted by the same kind souls:confused3.

Certainly a no kill shelter would've been the 1st choice (they have several in Pittsburgh and I support them and their efforts), if only pet owners would be responsible for their charges.

rustymom, the ferral cat issue still doesn't sway me.

i am a regular guest that stays at the Loews hotels.
will continue to book a room there for my vacations.

how there will handle the cat issue is up to them.
i pick my battles and this is not one of them.

the service i have received has been excellent in all my stays there.
i have no complaints with the Loews hotels.

you do what you feel you need to do.
since you have an opinion on the situation, and don't plan to go back, that is your choice.

Irresponsible pet owners create these situations and individuals and organizations occasionally have to take action. It sounds to me like they are handling the situation humanely. I would rather not have cats roaming the resort and I would assume that the health department would frown on them being in certain locations.

This is a private enterprise and they can take whatever action they decide is necessary and we can make up our minds to support them with our dollars or not. Sometimes when people come up with reasons to boycott it only makes others want to support the targeted business.

Oh, and to answer the question, I would not change my plans. It's not even close.

First off...let me say...I'm not a cat person but I'll ask this....

What should management do? I posted this twice on FB and so far, no one has bothered to answer me.

Let's look at it another way. If you pulled up to the hotel and saw cats running all over the place, what would you think of the place?

They dealt with the cats in a much more humanely manner than most places deal with the mice and other pests. I really don't see the big deal. Doesn't sound like the cats suffered. I'd rather have the cats euthanized than live in a small crate with a bunch of other cats for years because no one will adopt them. I guess that makes me heartless.

FIRST...They announced today that they are looking for suggestions and trying to find shelters for these cats instead of euthanizing them.The reality is if they go to shelters, they will probably be euthanized anyway.Sad but a reality..Getting on my soapbox here....
Second, I am absolutely not going to change or alter my plans to stay at Portofino Bay based on this.9 days and counting:cool1::cool1:I am a HUGE animal lover,have had cats and dogs my whole life,voulnteered at our local animal shelters. and have been a RESPONSIBLE pet owner by getting them spayed and neutered...Does it bother me? sure ,no one wants to see an innocent anmal killed.. but honestly there are worse things out there in the world.Reading the FB page is a hoot..It never ceases to amaze me that people that get so upset and vocal and ready to bring fire down about stuff like this, but don't blink an eye about fellow human beings being slaughtered in other countries ,or some of the horrific injustices and living below the poverty level in this one...End Rant

Cats must have a ball in FLA casing around those little lizards. Maybe all you guys boycotting will bring back the "Stay More Save More" for next August at the Portofino. Boycott away!!!

Let's look at it another way. If you pulled up to the hotel and saw cats running all over the place, what would you think of the place?

I would think it looked more like the average Italian community. All that would be missing is the pack of stray dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter