Will you boycott Portofino and the other Loews Hotels because of this issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cats must have a ball in FLA casing around those little lizards. Maybe all you guys boycotting will bring back the "Stay More Save More" for next August at the Portofino. Boycott away!!!

those rates are there now.

Select Nights June 8 - August 11, 2012
Stay 4 nights – save up to 10%
Stay 5 nights – save up to 15%
Stay 6 nights – save up to 15%
Stay 7 nights – save up to 25%

Select Nights August 12 - October 4, 2012
Stay 3 nights – save up to 10%
Stay 4 nights – save up to 20%
Stay 5 nights – save up to 25%
Stay 6 nights – save up to 25%
Stay 7 nights – save up to 30%

those rates are there now.

Select Nights June 8 - August 11, 2012
Stay 4 nights – save up to 10%
Stay 5 nights – save up to 15%
Stay 6 nights – save up to 15%
Stay 7 nights – save up to 25%

Select Nights August 12 - October 4, 2012
Stay 3 nights – save up to 10%
Stay 4 nights – save up to 20%
Stay 5 nights – save up to 25%
Stay 6 nights – save up to 25%
Stay 7 nights – save up to 30%

They're aren't showing up for less than 8 nights though for some reason. BTW I think the original poster just came over to :stir:

They're aren't showing up for less than 8 nights though for some reason. BTW I think the original poster just came over to :stir:
Um, BTW...you do? :confused3 I saw it on FB and people were going ballistic; the vast majority of people who posted expressed disgust with this new policy and/or calls for boycotts. We stayed at Portofino annually since it opened, until a few years ago, and again this past August, so I was interested in what people were saying here, on the DIS where I've been a member since 1999. Where's the pot stirring?? Geez.

Um, BTW...you do? :confused3 I saw it on FB and people were going ballistic; the vast majority of people who posted expressed disgust with this new policy and/or calls for boycotts. We stayed at Portofino annually since it opened, until a few years ago, and again this past August, so I was interested in what people were saying here, on the DIS where I've been a member since 1999. Where's the pot stirring?? Geez.

My bad, I apologize. A lot of people DO come over just to do that and bad mouth Universal glad to see you were just looking for an opinion. :flower3:

I really don't know what the answer is here. I don't want to see those animals killed in any way. However, you simply can't have a feral cat colony running around a resort. They also aren't able to be pets if they are truly feral. In the majority of cases, you can't even get close to them or touch them.
I myself have a cat from a feral colony that was abandoned as a kitten. Found him when his eyes were still closed, with his siblings who were all dead. I brought him in, bottle fed him and got him medical care.
He is a WONDERFUL pet (though has the strangest personality of any cat I have ever owned. He think he's human. Eats with his paws, tries to pick things up with his hands, follows me room to room all day long). I love this animal to pieces!!!
If someone could get to the kittens in time, they could possibly be domesticated. The only other option is a catch and release program like they have in my town. The ferals are caught, neutered or spayed and then released again. But you would have to find a safe place to release them, as you can't just dump them back on public property.
I don't see any easy answers in this situation.:sad2:

I am totally a cat person, and no, I would not boycott over the feral cat issue. I had been following the controversy on their FB page. I saw the outrage, and what I didn't understand was the jumping to conclusions that the animal shelter Loews brought the cats to was a kill shelter. We have lots of shelters around here that are no kill shelters.

i think it was, maybe 2000-01?, when the Boneyard was at the studios.
(i could very well be off on my dates.)

there were a group of cats that hung around that section.

many peeps feed them and watched out for them.

since there are neighborhoods surrounding the park, it was assumed some cats might have wandered from there to the boneyard and made it their home.

when the cats were finally caught and removed, i know of one person that adopted one of them.

in all my times at staying onsite, i have not seen the cat colony that is the topic of this thread.
if i had, i would have donated money for cat food.

do you know for sure that they gave someone permission to feed the cats. i know at my jobs there are cats that people feed and we are repeatedly asked not to but people still sneak and do it. I feel this is a health issue and at most they could try and find a shelter that wont kill them but it is their priority to first keep the humans safe not the animals.

Yes, they not only gave permission for the cats to be fed, they built fancy little feeding stations for them. You can see them in this blog: http://blogs.catster.com/the-cats-m...g/loews-hotels-feral-cat-trapping/2012/01/11/

It was a Trap, Neuter, Release program that had the hotel's blessing, and from what I hear it was working well, and now they changed their minds.

If they cats can't stay, I don't understand why they can't find a no-kill shelter for them. Feral cats are terrified of people and if they are brought to a regular shelter, they don't have a chance.

I am glad I'm not a huge Universal lover. We have only gone once, last summer (and never saw a cat). I can take it or leave it, we love Disney much more.

Not trying to stir up any trouble, I only posted here because I saw the post asking for opinions.

I don't know if there have been other updates on the Portofino FB page, but just saw this one on my wall:

We wanted to give you a brief update and let you know we are still researching and evaluating options for the re-location. We're committed to continuing to work on it. Again, we urge you to contact us at input@loewshotels.com with suggestions and to post your input to our Facebook Note on this topic here:
http://www.facebook.com/<wbr>note.php?note_id=10150472968696<wbr>470

I consider myself a cat person, and I enjoy seeing the cats when staying on property. But what they do with the cats won't impact my plans to stay there.

I would think it looked more like the average Italian community. All that would be missing is the pack of stray dogs.
Well...if I wanted to stay somewhere that looked like "the average Italian community", I'll go to Italy and see the real thing. I certainly wouldn't spend hundreds of dollars to stay in a cat colony.

Would not impact on my plans to stay in the future, saccly will not be there this year as its the west Coast, but hopefully on future visits.
probably find like a pp said people just happy badmouthing Loews and Universal, i wonder how many have actually stayed at their resorts for more than 1 or 2 nights

you have a point.

reading thru facebook, i don't see that many stating they are regulars at the Loews hotels.

you have a point.

reading thru facebook, i don't see that many stating they are regulars at the Loews hotels.

I've made a few posts on Facebook, and I wanted to ask that very thing! Very few people threatening to boycott have stated they've ever been there! Kinda hard to boycott if you've never stayed there, huh?

Yes, they not only gave permission for the cats to be fed, they built fancy little feeding stations for them. You can see them in this blog: http://blogs.catster.com/the-cats-m...g/loews-hotels-feral-cat-trapping/2012/01/11/

It was a Trap, Neuter, Release program that had the hotel's blessing, and from what I hear it was working well, and now they changed their minds.

If they cats can't stay, I don't understand why they can't find a no-kill shelter for them. Feral cats are terrified of people and if they are brought to a regular shelter, they don't have a chance.

I am glad I'm not a huge Universal lover. We have only gone once, last summer (and never saw a cat). I can take it or leave it, we love Disney much more.

Not trying to stir up any trouble, I only posted here because I saw the post asking for opinions.

Disney is not a bubble that magically manages to keep feral cats out. They must have some too. What do they do with theirs....build them a castle? Maybe Disney has been sending them to shelters all along. How do we know?

Planning on staying at RPR this year, which will be our 4th stay. Never seen the cat's but if I had, I would be worried about staying there.

Planning on staying at RPR this year, which will be our 4th stay. Never seen the cat's but if I had, I would be worried about staying there.

Why? As far as I know, the cats haven't attacked anyone. I've seen the cats and they appear to avoid human contact.

What makes this interesting is that all three hotels are pet friendly, so people can bring their animals with them, which are kept in the room. Personally, being in a room previously occupied by an pet seems to bother me more than stray cats on property grounds. At RPR, I've heard that people with pets are usually booked in tower 2.

Why? As far as I know, the cats haven't attacked anyone. I've seen the cats and they appear to avoid human contact.

What makes this interesting is that all three hotels are pet friendly, so people can bring their animals with them, which are kept in the room. Personally, being in a room previously occupied by an pet seems to bother me more than stray cats on property grounds. At RPR, I've heard that people with pets are usually booked in tower 2.
I'm afraid of cats, so if they were roaming around it would make me on edge. Makes no logical sense why i'm afraid as I love dogs in spite of being bitten when small. I think having a block for guests with pets is good as the guests are still responsible for their pets, but wouldn't want a room in that block.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter