Wine and Dine Half Marathon Weekend 2022 (Nov. 3-6, 2022)

Editing as I tried to add the 5k and received an error. Refreshed and no races available again. Don't know what just happened.

Wondering if anyone can share some advice around training. I've taken over a year off from running. So at this point, with respect to training guides, I'm considering myself a "new" runner. I'm registered for the W&D 10k. So my main question is, with this much time ahead of us, and since the 10k training guide (Galloway) starts around the end of July I can 1. just start it now but at a slower increase 2. pick up the 5k training guide first and train for that distance until 10k training starts 3. wait and just do my other workout activities like walking, yoga, weights, bicycle. Has anyone been in this boat before....basically starting from scratch training but with lots of time before your race? What did you do and was it successful? My main goal is to not get injured. That's why I stopped running in the first place. Very appreciative of any advice, experience, tips! TIA

Wondering if anyone can share some advice around training. I've taken over a year off from running. So at this point, with respect to training guides, I'm considering myself a "new" runner. I'm registered for the W&D 10k. So my main question is, with this much time ahead of us, and since the 10k training guide (Galloway) starts around the end of July I can 1. just start it now but at a slower increase 2. pick up the 5k training guide first and train for that distance until 10k training starts 3. wait and just do my other workout activities like walking, yoga, weights, bicycle. Has anyone been in this boat before....basically starting from scratch training but with lots of time before your race? What did you do and was it successful? My main goal is to not get injured. That's why I stopped running in the first place. Very appreciative of any advice, experience, tips! TIA
Personally I would probably train for 5k distance until then, or do some easy intervals so you are ready to go by July.

Disclaimer: i am not a very experienced runner, nor am I a running coach. So take my advice with a big grain of salt.

Last edited:

I literally just got off the phone with my friend who is in the same scenario, but is an actual brand new runner and is targeting a 10K for Marathon Weekend. My thought was for her to do Jeff Galloway's 5K plan and then transition to the 10K plan.

Since you did mention previously being injured, my caveat for you would be to try to get a professional (I would highly recommend a PT who is also a runner) to figure out what imbalances you have going on that caused you to be injured in the past. That way you can get a handle on them BEFORE the 10K training plan starts. If you are looking for an overall running specific strength program, I use RunSmart online which was developed by the physical therapist that I work with in person (I feel very lucky that he is local) and he is very skilled at getting and keeping runners healthy.

Agree with the others who suggest starting with the 5k. The number one reason runners get injured is from doing too much too fast and by doing the 5k plan first, you'll be able to build up a nice base for the 10k training.

I've been running most of my life now but did not do very much of it at all in 2019 or 2020. In 2021 when I decided that I needed to get my butt in gear again, I started with a 5k plan. Once I completed that, I moved on to a 10k plan and then a half marathon plan. It's very important that you start the training based on where you are and not where you were or where you want to be.

I'd start with what you can do now running-wise and just build aerobic fitness. If you are already walking, biking, and doing yoga you likely have more base fitness than most beginners who are doing a true couch to 5K approach. Whatever distance you can do at a comfortable pace I'd do and start to lengthen that over the next few months. If that is run a half mile and then walk the rest that is where you start.

The more cumulative slow, aerobic fitness you can start to build now the better the 10K training will feel when you start it.

I admit I'm a tiny bit surprised the Challenge sold out Friday. Perhaps they split up some remaining Challenge spots on Friday morning when everything reopened. And perhaps they got sign-ups at the Springtime Surprise expo. Anyway, I don't know why I expected the challenge to linger open for while longer, but I did!

I literally just got off the phone with my friend who is in the same scenario, but is an actual brand new runner and is targeting a 10K for Marathon Weekend. My thought was for her to do Jeff Galloway's 5K plan and then transition to the 10K plan.

Since you did mention previously being injured, my caveat for you would be to try to get a professional (I would highly recommend a PT who is also a runner) to figure out what imbalances you have going on that caused you to be injured in the past. That way you can get a handle on them BEFORE the 10K training plan starts. If you are looking for an overall running specific strength program, I use RunSmart online which was developed by the physical therapist that I work with in person (I feel very lucky that he is local) and he is very skilled at getting and keeping runners healthy.
For sure! I just "graduated" from several months of PT and got the go ahead to return to my activities. Especially with one "injury" being plantar fasciitis, I will be slow, steady and smart about my training. I was thinking it would be a good, upward transition to train for the 5k first (maybe do a couple this summer) then start the 10k training guide, NOT as 'never ran before' trainer. I'm so excited about doing another runDisney race and taking my kids to their first. I'll check out the strength program you sent. I'd like my training for this race to lead to a regular running routine again and I definitely want to stay injury free!

I'd start with what you can do now running-wise and just build aerobic fitness. If you are already walking, biking, and doing yoga you likely have more base fitness than most beginners who are doing a true couch to 5K approach. Whatever distance you can do at a comfortable pace I'd do and start to lengthen that over the next few months. If that is run a half mile and then walk the rest that is where you start.

The more cumulative slow, aerobic fitness you can start to build now the better the 10K training will feel when you start it.
As excited and anxious as I am for W&D weekend, I'm loving that we have so many months to prepare for it!!!

Does the half or challenge ever open back up after it sells out? I was not paying near enough attention to this.

Does the half or challenge ever open back up after it sells out? I was not paying near enough attention to this.

Genearlly yes. I'd be checking constantly and as soon as it opens jump on it. I've seen it open for less than a minutes myself.

For sure! I just "graduated" from several months of PT and got the go ahead to return to my activities. Especially with one "injury" being plantar fasciitis, I will be slow, steady and smart about my training. I was thinking it would be a good, upward transition to train for the 5k first (maybe do a couple this summer) then start the 10k training guide, NOT as 'never ran before' trainer. I'm so excited about doing another runDisney race and taking my kids to their first. I'll check out the strength program you sent. I'd like my training for this race to lead to a regular running routine again and I definitely want to stay injury free!
PT was the best thing I did instead of trying to power through my "injury" of shin splints. They did wonders in helping me through that issue and gave me so many tools to help as I progress in my running!

PT was the best thing I did instead of trying to power through my "injury" of shin splints. They did wonders in helping me through that issue and gave me so many tools to help as I progress in my running!
I totally agree. And if I need to go back to it again I will.

Genearlly yes. I'd be checking constantly and as soon as it opens jump on it. I've seen it open for less than a minutes myself.
I saw the challenge available for a hot minute last night. I clicked off the page and back a couple minutes later and refreshed and it was gone already. But it did open briefly!

The runners info tab on the W&D event page discusses an "Expo Check-in Pass". What is that? I don't remember it from my last run (which was in 2016 mind you).

The runners info tab on the W&D event page discusses an "Expo Check-in Pass". What is that? I don't remember it from my last run (which was in 2016 mind you).
It's something new since 2021. It's basically just the replacement of the paper waiver they had before. It also includes your bib number and shirt size for easy pickup.

For sure! I just "graduated" from several months of PT and got the go ahead to return to my activities. Especially with one "injury" being plantar fasciitis,

Ah, PF. I've been dealing with it on and off for over 2 years. They tell me I'll have flare-ups on and off probably for as long as I keep running. Definitely stick to at least 1 rest day between short runs as you start back out. I came back too quickly from PF the first time around and it knocked me out longer than it otherwise would have.

I just "graduated" from several months of PT and got the go ahead to return to my activities. Especially with one "injury" being plantar fasciitis,

Ah, PF. I've been dealing with it on and off for over 2 years.

I'm another member of the plantar fasciitis club. I just graduated to supervised running (aka not as restrictive, but they're still monitoring my training plan and progress) at my appointment today. (Happy dance!)

I'd like my training for this race to lead to a regular running routine again and I definitely want to stay injury free!

That is my goal for this year. I tried running Dopey last year while dealing with PF. It was a hot mess and I wound up pulling myself at Mile 1 of the marathon. This year I'm doing everything that they're telling me - to the letter - as I have 100% trust in my team. I just did my first theme park trip (aka mega walking) and it felt fabulous to not be hobbling/in pain every time I stood up. I never want to go back there and I will never let it get that bad again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter