Wish Lounge Hours with Under 18s

I got to peek into Pink when we were leaving bingo because it had just opened, no one was even there yet. All the families had to go through the entire District to get out and when we stopped in for 30 sec just so I could see it, the bartender swiftly told us we had to leave since our son was with us.
I don't believe Pink is one that is open to under 18s; the District is primarily "night club" with evening hours. There are other bars/lounges open during the afternoon. Adults can enjoy a beer or cocktail while the kids play games. Some even have a few board games available on request from the bartender.

I don't believe Pink is one that is open to under 18s; the District is primarily "night club" with evening hours. There are other bars/lounges open during the afternoon. Adults can enjoy a beer or cocktail while the kids play games. Some even have a few board games available on request from the bartender.
Correct, which is why my comment card I suggested one bar be open for just one hour so that we could at least visit the space. My son would not go to the Nursery or Kid's Club and it was just the 3 of us, so we did everything together - thus eliminating my husband and I from enjoying a cocktail in the beautiful space.

But then I, as an adult spending time in adult-only spaces, lose out that hour if I don't want to be with under 18 year olds. I don't want to share space - that is designated for adults-only - with a child who needs to have toys and games to amuse them. I want to be in an adult-only area. There are plenty of other areas that are for all ages.

AMEN!

Correct, which is why my comment card I suggested one bar be open for just one hour so that we could at least visit the space. My son would not go to the Nursery or Kid's Club and it was just the 3 of us, so we did everything together - thus eliminating my husband and I from enjoying a cocktail in the beautiful space.

The problem with that is most people would not be willing to leave at the end of the hour - they'd still be working on their drink, say that it took too long to get served, etc.

It really isn't the fault of the other adults on the cruise that your child wouldn't separate from you, so it's not fair to punish them by taking away their space. Sorry, but that's the truth.

Pink and Skyline on the Dream are indeed adults only, but the District Lounge on the Dream/La Piazza on the Fantasy are typically open for several hours before they become adults-only at 9, as are several of the lounges on the Wish. On the Magic and Wonder, Soul Cat/French Quarter is open to all ages all day. So it is possible to enjoy a cocktail while with a child on all ships.

Pink and Skyline on the Dream are indeed adults only, but the District Lounge on the Dream/La Piazza on the Fantasy are typically open for several hours before they become adults-only at 9, as are several of the lounges on the Wish. On the Magic and Wonder, Soul Cat/French Quarter is open to all ages all day. So it is possible to enjoy a cocktail while with a child on all ships.
Same with keg and compass, the bayou and hyperspace on Wish

Wineries and breweries around here are the most family friendly places I can find...probably because they're all owned by 30 somethings who have kids. It's more of a modern day community space.
My wife and I visit several Breweries near our home. All are family friendly and most are pet friendly. It is nice to see family's together in casual setting like a Brewery. Most of the Breweries have large open spaces with plenty of seating indoors and out doors. As long as the children are supervised, acting appropriately, not causing any problems and not running around screaming and yelling I think it is fine to allow them there. The breweries we go to also do not allow children to sit at the bar.

My concern is mostly related to space. As in a past post I talked about not being able to get a seat at the lounge at Steak House 71 at the Contemporary Hotel after dinner because a quarter of the seats were taken up by children sitting at the bar with their parents.

The same would go for any lounge that serves alcohol weather it be on land or sea. If I walk into a lounge and seats are filled with children brought by their parents, I as an adult would not be able to get a drink. This also can effect revenue for the bar and the servers tips.

Last edited:
I think the brewery/beer hall references aren’t the same. Usually those spaces are larger, even outdoors, and sell food. Also, beer halls/gardens in Germany are traditionally family oriented. Bars, on the other hand, in every country I have visited, have been adult-oriented and didn’t really have much, if any, food. That’s not really an atmosphere conducive to children or families. We have a son. When I was a kid, we lived in Oklahoma. At the time, no one under 21 was allowed in bars. So, restaurants that sold alcohol had a roped off bar space. You could still order drinks for your table though. I never went near an actual physical bar until we moved to Texas. The thought of even having our 17, almost 18, year old high school senior sitting at a bar is incredibly foreign to me.

One problem I see is that some, maybe many adults watch their children carefully and supervise to ensure appropriate behaviour.
Therefore for them they wish to be included in all areas.
However, also many other parents don’t supervise their children and allow loud games on iPads without headphones, or running around etc etc!
I’m sure we have all seen it. My experience at California Grill is just one example of that behaviour that I’ve witnessed including a child climbing all over the top of the table next to me and also running around underneath them.
To me the ambiance of the dining experience was diminished.
Now by allowing families into these bars you do run the risk of certain behaviours that could also impact others.
Disney hate confrontation with guests and yet this puts the onus on the crew to police behaviour and if considered appropriate to ask people to leave. Then this could easily lead to difficult behaviour as parents become irritated and possibly aggressive and then everyone suffers.
Appropriate child/parent behaviour is subjective and to one person allowing a child to race around is not something suitable whereas another parent would justify it as simply children being children.
As a crew member I think it’s placing them in a very unenviable situation.

One problem I see is that some, maybe many adults watch their children carefully and supervise to ensure appropriate behaviour.
Therefore for them they wish to be included in all areas.
However, also many other parents don’t supervise their children and allow loud games on iPads without headphones, or running around etc etc!
I’m sure we have all seen it. My experience at California Grill is just one example of that behaviour that I’ve witnessed including a child climbing all over the top of the table next to me and also running around underneath them.
To me the ambiance of the dining experience was diminished.
Now by allowing families into these bars you do run the risk of certain behaviours that could also impact others.
Disney hate confrontation with guests and yet this puts the onus on the crew to police behaviour and if considered appropriate to ask people to leave. Then this could easily lead to difficult behaviour as parents become irritated and possibly aggressive and then everyone suffers.
Appropriate child/parent behaviour is subjective and to one person allowing a child to race around is not something suitable whereas another parent would justify it as simply children being children.
As a crew member I think it’s placing them in a very unenviable situatio
n.
This is exactly what happened in the main dinning room on the Fantasy years ago. It became a safety issue for the servers. The children were running around almost causing the servers to trip while they were carrying heavy trays filled with dinner dishes.
They were also climbing under other guest tables while they were trying to eat. We watched as the parents did nothing till a guest said something to the parents, then the parents got nasty with the guest, then the crew had to get involved.

It was also an on going problem with this family.

We were told at one point the issue was taken care of.

I felt bad for the crew.

In over twenty years sailing with Disney this was the worst incident we witnessed. Thankfully this is something you do not see often. For the most part people do supervise their children.

This is exactly what happened in the main dinning room on the Fantasy years ago. It became a safety issue for the servers. The children were running around almost causing the servers to trip while they were carrying heavy trays filled with dinner dishes.
They were also climbing under other guest tables while they were trying to eat. We watched as the parents did nothing till a guest said something to the parents, then the parents got nasty with the guest, then the crew had to get involved.

I felt bad for the crew.

In over twenty years sailing with Disney this was the worst incident we witnessed. Thankfully this is something you do not see often. For the most part people do supervise their children.
I saw this in Arendelle on the last year. I was across the main walkway from a large group (I think family, but could have been a group of friends with children). The kids were just running around the table, getting in the way of the servers carrying the trays. Then they started running/playing in the main walkway. Not only was this a problem for even more servers, but also other guests. And, if you've been to Arendelle you know the characters also use that main walkway. I didn't once see any of the parents try to do anything about it (and if they did, it was unsuccessful, as it kept happening).

I felt bad for the crew.

The worst of it is of course that heaven forbid a server should trip and a child get burnt by spilt hot food then the parents would be the first people blaming Disney and presumably the crew.

I saw this in Arendelle on the last year. I was across the main walkway from a large group (I think family, but could have been a group of friends with children). The kids were just running around the table, getting in the way of the servers carrying the trays. Then they started running/playing in the main walkway. Not only was this a problem for even more servers, but also other guests. And, if you've been to Arendelle you know the characters also use that main walkway. I didn't once see any of the parents try to do anything about it (and if they did, it was unsuccessful, as it kept happening).
I also remember a sailing where groups of parents with young children and young teens sat all their children together on one table ( around 15 ) whilst they enjoyed children free dinner a few tables away from them. They sat dining at leisure laughing and drinking whilst other diners couldn’t even hear themselves speak to the person sitting next to them if they happened to be seated next to that huge table of kids!
The children got bored, so began running up and down the dining room. Then in and out of the dining room. Then outside the dining room, and banging on the windows of the dining room.
The parents did nothing. They weren’t even watching them. You could see the frustration of their servers, and the sheer annoyance of the surrounding guests.
My friend and I asked to be moved and luckily there was space available. It was also not a full sailing so DCL accommodated others by setting up other tables that hadn’t been utilised so eventually that table was more or less on its own!

Well, these 13 year olds were allowed in the Hyperspace Lounge so it must be a thing :rotfl:

https://people.com/neil-patrick-har...parents-of-the-friend-group-exclusive-8598153
Kids are allowed in Hyperspace Lounge. DD10 went with us in July and there was another family in there with kids as well. The servers made lots of smoke bubbles for her which she thought was so cool. I’m not sure if it changes at night since we went in the afternoon.

Also by the pics in the article it looks like they went when it was closed to shoot promotional stuff

I also remember a sailing where groups of parents with young children and young teens sat all their children together on one table ( around 15 ) whilst they enjoyed children free dinner a few tables away from them. They sat dining at leisure laughing and drinking whilst other diners couldn’t even hear themselves speak to the person sitting next to them if they happened to be seated next to that huge table of kids!
The children got bored, so began running up and down the dining room. Then in and out of the dining room. Then outside the dining room, and banging on the windows of the dining room.
The parents did nothing. They weren’t even watching them. You could see the frustration of their servers, and the sheer annoyance of the surrounding guests.
My friend and I asked to be moved and luckily there was space available. It was also not a full sailing so DCL accommodated others by setting up other tables that hadn’t been utilised so eventually that table was more or less on its own!
I am going to give a reason something like this may happen. It may offend some and I in no way mean to do this. My response is based on what I have experienced in the past when I lived in another part of the United States.
I am not saying all parents are like this, however this is what I observed, once again back where I grew up.
There are a lot of good parents in this situation who's children are not causing any problems

I have seen this when the parents decide they do not want to pay to bring their nanny on vacation with them to watch the kids.

The nanny's are the ones taking care of the children most of the time and when they are not there it is like when you had a substitute teacher in school.

Kids tend to take advantage of the situation and I strongly think this is what happened in the situation we observed on the Fantasy years ago.
While the kids were running around causing all kinds of problems for the crew and other guest the parents just kept eating and talking like they did not have a care in the world.

When the parents were finally confronted by a guest it was like "how dare you accuses my children of being a problem" It was as if they had no clue what the children were up to and the problems they were creating for the crew and the other guest just trying to eat.

When the guest confronted the parents of the children the parents got nasty with the guest and a manager had to step in.

From what we were told this was an ongoing problem however we were told it was taken care of.

I am going to give a reason something like this may happen. It may offend some and I in no way mean to do this. My response is based on what I have experienced in the past when I lived in another part of the United States.
I am not saying all parents are like this, however this is what I observed, once again back where I grew up.
There are a lot of good parents in this situation who's children are not causing any problems

I have seen this when the parents decide they do not want to pay to bring their nanny on vacation with them to watch the kids.

The nanny's are the ones taking care of the children most of the time and when they are not there it is like when you had a substitute teacher in school.

Kids tend to take advantage of the situation and I strongly think this is what happened in the situation we observed on the Fantasy years ago.
While the kids were running around causing all kinds of problems for the crew and other guest the parents just kept eating and talking like they did not have a care in the world.

When the parents were finally confronted by a guest it was like "how dare you accuses my children of being a problem" It was as if they had no clue what the children were up to and the problems they were creating for the crew and the other guest just trying to eat.

When the guest confronted the parents of the children the parents got nasty with the guest and a manager had to step in.

From what we were told this was an ongoing problem however we were told it was taken care of.
Maybe that’s exactly what happened in the situation that I described. As a guest I wouldn’t approach any parent myself. The reason being that if the parents had any concern for the wellbeing of others they would have been aware and acted themselves to rectify what was going on. The fact that they didn’t would have suggested to me that the result of guest comments would potentially been met with denial or aggression.
I would definitely have spoken to the head server though. Luckily I didn’t have to because my server approached me and asked my friend and me if we wanted to move and others close by. The team set up a number of alternative tables which was perfect.
However, in the event of a full sailing I would have expected the head server to act to remedy what was going on. If he hadn’t my next move would have been to request to speak to the food and beverage manager.
I couldn’t have stayed dining in the midst of this children’s/teenagers playground.

Sadly it's not exclusive to Disney. I was on Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas last week out of Bayonne, NJ (basically NY). Yes, I knew going in that it was February Break for NYC public schools (and other schools in the area). But.

FIRST we started the cruise in snow. A group of adults and was in the seating area for one of the bars on the top deck. I was walking up the ramp to cross to the other side and was hit in the face with a snowball - and this was a wet, heavy snow - thrown at pretty much top speed. FORTUNATELY I was not seriously hurt or bruised, but had it been a direct hit to my nose I may well have ended up in medical with a broken nose- but NO ONE said anything or asked if I was ok. Not the guests throwing the snowballs - the adult who seemed to be heading it up acted clueless when I said something to him - as he stood there with a snowball in his hand...gave a half-hearted "Sorry" with a shrug - and the bartenders did nothing to stop them. (I did report it to a manager at the top tier manager meet and greet just saying that ensuring that snow is removed from areas like that in the future would be a good thing. And I did mention it in a follow-up email about my cruise experience last night. We'll see if I get any response.)

Then I was at a music trivia event and the crew member running it had to repeatedly ask parents to please keep their children from running around on the dance floor - especially as they were chasing a balloon and more than once almost ran into his podium which held a computer and other technical equipment.

The final sea day there was a group of kids speaking what I think was French who were having an ongoing back and forth battle and very nearly knocked people down as they came up or down the stairs. And there were no adults to be found.

There was one night I was sitting in a long area reading while kids were running all over, climbing on tables, etc. Turns out their families were eating in a specialty restaurant and they were letting the kids run while waiting for the food. One hid when their dad came to get them and then face planted running back in. It was ridiculous.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter