Wish Lounge Hours with Under 18s

Sadly it's not exclusive to Disney. I was on Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas last week out of Bayonne, NJ (basically NY). Yes, I knew going in that it was February Break for NYC public schools (and other schools in the area). But.

FIRST we started the cruise in snow. A group of adults and was in the seating area for one of the bars on the top deck. I was walking up the ramp to cross to the other side and was hit in the face with a snowball - and this was a wet, heavy snow - thrown at pretty much top speed. FORTUNATELY I was not seriously hurt or bruised, but had it been a direct hit to my nose I may well have ended up in medical with a broken nose- but NO ONE said anything or asked if I was ok. Not the guests throwing the snowballs - the adult who seemed to be heading it up acted clueless when I said something to him - as he stood there with a snowball in his hand...gave a half-hearted "Sorry" with a shrug - and the bartenders did nothing to stop them. (I did report it to a manager at the top tier manager meet and greet just saying that ensuring that snow is removed from areas like that in the future would be a good thing. And I did mention it in a follow-up email about my cruise experience last night. We'll see if I get any response.)

Then I was at a music trivia event and the crew member running it had to repeatedly ask parents to please keep their children from running around on the dance floor - especially as they were chasing a balloon and more than once almost ran into his podium which held a computer and other technical equipment.

The final sea day there was a group of kids speaking what I think was French who were having an ongoing back and forth battle and very nearly knocked people down as they came up or down the stairs. And there were no adults to be found.

There was one night I was sitting in a long area reading while kids were running all over, climbing on tables, etc. Turns out their families were eating in a specialty restaurant and they were letting the kids run while waiting for the food. One hid when their dad came to get them and then face planted running back in. It was ridiculous.
Wow!! That’s all I can say! Wow! That sounds worse than anything. Everyone seems afraid to speak up now in the way of crew, and to be fair I don’t blame them, but there’s nothing to stop them calling for assistance and that’s what they should have done in the snow. Someone could have just come and swept it up and dispersed it.
The next time in the trivia the person running it should have stopped it, and again called for an officer to come to deal with it. Again if the children had knocked over the electrical equipment and been injured I bet compensation would have been sought!
Finally being in a speciality restaurant whilst your kids run wild is shocking! Since when is abdicating your responsibility acceptable? A very sad sign of the times I’m afraid.
I sail with adult friends and with the grandchildren. I spend the evenings alone on those cruises as my daughter takes the youngsters back to the room to stop them getting overtired and she puts them to bed and reads her magazines. Now they are slightly older they may watch the shows but then off to bed they go. Not under any circumstances would those children race around or disturb others!

My kids want to go on the Wish because of the kids club and hyperspace lounge. It’s advertised to families as such (hyperspace being adults only after X time but welcome to all in the afternoon). So we plan to go during the day when it’s open to all. I’ll get them a fancy drink that probably will cost as much as a beer, so it’s not like the restaurant is “losing money” To this day, they talk about when we went to Oga’s. We for sure spent more as a group of 8 than we would have if only 18+ was allowed (because then only my husband and his dad would have gone). Restaurants and casual places know that parents will spend more time and money if their kids can be included too, and most of the time, if the kids are jerks, their parents are too so not sure the kids are the problem in that setting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter