Wk of Jan 14--WISH Walking/Running Club

chimera

<font color=deeppink>WISH Racing Team Member<br><f
Hello everyone!

For those new to us, we are a group of people who are planning to participate in walking/running events throughout the year. For most of us, the ultimate goal is to train and compete in the annual WDW Half/Full marathons. We'll also be posting news and training for various other events throughout the year. We range from non-running beginners to triathletes. Come join us, whether you're training for an event or walking/running for fitness!

WISH Team

akasleepingbeauty Rhonda TX
aladdinsgirl Krista OH
AmyBeth68 Amy NJ
andromedaslove Dana FL
bekagain Bekah
Big Vic Vic FL
blueroses WA
Buckalew11 Brenda TN
Calcio Craig MA
CarolA Carol GA
chimera Mel FL
Chropistopy Christy GA
Cingoutload Dawn GA
Cruella de Mom Cecilia GA
crzy4pooh Lynnda FL
deekaypee
Dennyha Denny OH
DianeL Diane
disneybelle Darcey NJ
DisneyGirl Marissa
disneyrun
DJBounce Darcey IA
donac Dona NJ
dthogue Tammy PA
Duanerice FL
escape Susie AR
fabumouse NJ
gatorphipps Christa NC
getnthinr Wendy NC
goingthedistance Paul NM
goofyguy1958 Mike
Hockeychic Kim CAN
hockeygirl Laurie NY
Honeibee Judy NY
Houstonmouse Tracey
Jen117 Jen WI
jodistar Jodi CT
karebear1 Karen OR
Kareneast Karen NJ
keenercam Cam DE
KeenHo Howard DE
KelNottAt Kelley MD
Kimickey Kim MD
Kristi1357 Kristi NH
lillouisianagal Claire LA
Lisa Loves Pooh Lisa FL
littlegreydonkey Helen NZ
macrosswife Kimber AL
magslite Maggie IL
maherae Anne FL
MarkMichaels Mark IA
maryliz maryliz ON
MdmMim
MelRhoads Melissa AR
MickeySP Lisa MA
Minigirl Eva
Minnie Suzy
momoftwogirls
monte Monica CO
mousemgr Susan MI
MouseDogMom Jackie NC
Mouse Skywalker Dave NY
MrsTrx Tracey FL
msblrobs Sara NY
nucpharm29 Stephanie AR
NYCpa Kathy NY
ohMom Molli OH
outonarun Teri CA
panthergirl Susan NC
perfectmatch300 Nancy FL
plutosmyfav Sunny MA
pollioni Robb ON
princessmomma Colleen NC
Pungodingy Angie NH
RedDragon Martha MA
rKyDeX Chester FL
RunningLilo Dena FL
sap1227 Christy FL
sara
ScoJo15 Scott GA
scoolover Scott CT
skfulkers Steve OH
solotraveler Kevin MI
stitch lover sith Erin
sugaswim Holly MD
TammyNC Tammy NC
taz4disney CJ IN
TEK224 Terri PA
thndrmatt Matt FL
tiberius
TiffJ Tiffany AL
TigerLily03 Lily OH
TXAng TX
TXBelle Heather TX
Valentine Kathy NY
WDWfan 9 Pat IL
westcliffemom Stacey CO
wfloyd Bill FL
WIsh I Lived in FL Felicia
wtpclc Carrie MI
xterratri Lynne ME
zoegirl Bree NC

Wow, I can finally get the first post. :lmao:

I took last week off to recover and will probably start back with the training on Monday. I saw there are only 7 weeks till the next big race so I guess I have to find some motivation.

The further I get away from this years race, the better it seems so I may be more inclined to go Goofy. I will wait to see if I can get a better time to help with corral placement. Hopefully by March the races wouldn't have filled up yet.

pixiedust: to all those recovering from foot/leg problems and colds/illness this week.

Bill

Hi Everyone-

Well, I ran with my training buddies today. Our first run since the marathon. It felt so good! It was cold and sunny and we ran slow (11:00 minute miles). I felt so strong that it got me really excited about my next two races.

We are actually talking about running the Goofy next year. I am going to wait and see for a few more weeks, but its looking like I will be headed back to WDW in 2008. If you had told me I would even consider another marathon on Sunday, I would have cussed!

Cecilia

Cecilia - :lmao: I felt the same way after the half. However, I just signed up for the full next year. I want that special new medal. :earboy2:

As for my exercising - I took this week off. Does walking all over the parks for 3 days after the half count as anything? :teeth:

Back in training mode for the Sarasota Half. I did 6 miles today...probably the best run I've had in several weeks. Of course, it was about 10 degrees cooler than it has been, too. :idea: I'm right back on pace for a 2:45 half. Tried some new things: went back to my purple ASICs, wore orthotics, just Gu instead of Bloks (chocolate outrage is the bomb ::yes::) and I wore my heart monitor. Everything seemed to be okay...nearly 2 minutes faster than my 6 mile split in the half. Still getting that stitch in my right side, which doesn't happen during races :confused3

:welcome: Eva! Glad to see you joining us!

Here's Eva's intro in case anyone missed it last week
minigirl said:
I have been lurking for a few weeks, and I have gotten totally caught up in all the excitement. I have been absolutely inspired by all of you, so much so that I have decided to do the Minnie 5K and the 1/2 Marathon next January. I am a complete and total newbie. I have quite a bit of weight to lose, and I think having a goal like this will help me stay focused.
I'm ordering MFM and can't wait to delve into it. I have no idea what I'm doing or what it all entails but I'm excited to be a part of this. I'm sure as I learn more I will have more questions, too.
As for me, I'm a SAHM. Dh is an airline pilot, and our girls are 7 and 4. I don't have a treadmill, but I do have an elliptical. Is that a good training tool? Or is pounding the pavement the best training of all? I will have to work it all out. Getting out can be difficult when dh is out of town. Fortunately, my little one starts K next fall, so I will have a bit more time.
Okay, well I'm done rambling. Look forward to getting to kow ya'll better.

Bill...for Sarasota, are you doing half or full?

Judi...I forgot to mention last week, I have your sign (not to be confused with "Here's your sign" ;) ) I'll bring it for the Minnie!

Christa...great pictures! Yes, I've felt wiped out all week. I would imagine we all may have suffered at least a bit of dehydration and extra fatigue with this year's races.

Blueroses...congrats on the new job!

Susie...congrats on the grand marshal deal! How very cool!

Stephanie...sounds like you did a great job in rough weather!

The lime green names on the front page were folks who said they would be joining us this year (whether doing WDW 2008 or not). Last year, we just wiped the list and started over, but I was trying to make it easier. So...I've just taken out some names that I haven't seen posting in awhile and we'll go from there. If anyone I removed is planning to stick with us, please let me know and I'll gladly put you back!

I'm still trying to decide half or full for next year. I seem to remember times last weekend when I swore I'd never do a full and didn't think I needed to do another half anytime soon ;) And it doesn't just depend on me...DD14 really wants to do the half since she couldn't this year. The past weekend was really hard on her. But she starts high school in the fall and we'll have no idea what kind of training time she's going to have before she needs to register :confused3 If she does the half, I wouldn't want her to be out there by herself, so not sure how to work this out and both of us register in time.

Good training everyone!

Wow! Already a new week. Our weekly thread is hopping!! I love it! I can feel the excitement. :goodvibes

Mel- thanks so much for keeping up with the list of our teammates. Looks like it's growing from last year! :cool1: Whoo hoo!!! Sorry for being such a pain with the bracelet order. :headache:

Eva- Nice to meet you! I'm so glad you've joined us. You will :love: MFM. Just one suggestion: NEVER LOAN IT OUT! You will need to refer to it time and time again throughout the year for advice and motivation. Can't wait to meet you at the 1/2!

Stephanie- great job getting out there for the LR in the rain. Wow!

MFM Users- I started a thread asking how your MFM training plans compared to the real day race. Thanks so much to those who have posted. I'd love to hear more if you guys have the time to stop by.

Everyone I missed- Best WISHes for a great week! Post away. I love getting to know you guys! Take care. :grouphug:

Hi everyone!!!

I'm not actually joining this group, because I feel like it would be encroaching on my mom's little clique-ish bubble. Y'all know her, MouseDogMom.....though I'm not the MouseDog. I'm the DD16.

So I just wanted to pop in and say "Guess what guys?? I decided for no particular reason at all that I wanted to do the Donald next year. And I'm starting to train for it, either by running on the the treadmill or playing DDR at the local arcade."

I might be checking back in every now and then, if I can spare time, or if I get the ok from my mom. Heehee, HI MOMMY!!!! I admire everyone on these boards for what you do and the support and love you all show for each other. I'm in high school so the whole group-support thing isn't too big.

Ciao for now, I'm supposed to be in bed.

Yea Bill - your #1. :thumbsup2 :lmao:

Mel - yes, thanks for keeping track of all of this. :cool1: You do have a tough decision to make. I'm sure you would enjoy participating with your DD. I have officially signed up for the full next year. Now, DH informs me that he might try for the half. I would love for him to be able to but I'm afraid he has some medical issues that won't allow it. (2 bulging discs in his back, for one thing.) We'll see. I think he just felt so left out this past week. The excitement from the crowd and the week itself got him to thinking about it.

Christa - you ROCK! That medal looks so good on you. :thumbsup2 :goodvibes

Dena - I used the MfM book. I followed the walk/run program for the half. I think it's a great book! I was basically a couch potato until August. I hit the gym 3 days a week. In October, I started the walk/run training. I followed the book pretty closely. After my 10 mile run, I pulled a muscle in my upper leg so I did the elliptical until the half. And, I finished - a little slow - but I finished...and that was my goal. :thumbsup2 As for race day, I really didn't feel like running 2 min as the book suggested. I ended up walking 3/running 1. Hopefully, I will be in better shape next year for the full and I can really implement the W3/R2 concept.

SoccerDogWithEars - :welcome: We'll get all the dirt on you from your mom. ;) Good luck with your training. By the way, what's DDR? Now, get to bed!

Eva - I got John Bingham to sign by MfM book at the expo this year. I used it for training for the half. And, as Dena mentioned, don't loan it out. You may not get it back.

Well it was a wonderful 2 weeks in Orlando. I was so sad to have to come home to reality. In reality we have to pay bills, clean the house, get the kids to all their activities, etc, etc.......

But we had a great family trip & it was made even better by spending time with my WISH family. POP was fun, Illuminations was beautiful. It started to rain on us (and I had already been rained on quite a bit the week before so I was sick of being wet) so I asked Anne to make it stop. She finally did :thumbsup2 And the bakery meet was fun. My boys loved the Boardwalk & want to stay there next time.

If I didnt have Minnie to plan for I dont know what I'd do :sad:

I am taking the week off from training so I can get things in order & take a break. Then I'll start training for Minnie. It kicked my butt last year so I plan on kicking it back this year :cool1:

Have a great day everyone!

Oh, and I see we have a lot of newbies. It is great to see you all, stay with us & keep posting. This is a great group who got this non atletic couch potato thru 3 1/2 marathons & a 15k in 1 year. If I can do it anyone can. Trust me, you can do it! We have a saying here: Just put in the steps!

Christa-- that's a great idea about the post-race photo. I was so disappointed to not have a pic with my goofy, maybe I'll dress up and take a pic, too!

I really, really want to put the mickey in my siggie, but I'm afraid to at this point. It's so hard to remove one once it's there (I know 'cause Goofy '07 nearly came out about 1,000 times). I've been brainstorming on how I can get my WISH fix and manage my family next year:dance3: It's a hard mix!

Terri-- do you have access to a pool? I'm trying to force myself into DWR fo a while, it may be good for your recovery, too. Just a thought.

Sunny

Feeling great after Goofy! It was great meeting many of you at the Illuminations Party. I'll try not to be so shy.

DD (12) and I are doing Minnie again. Also, DH and I will be back for Goofy in 08. We've been invited to a Disney wedding on 1/12/08.

Started my masters program on 1/8/07...way to start the year after Goofy! Looks like I'll have a busy year.

Haven't run since last Sunday...we'll see how this afternoon goes.

I'm still trying to decide half or full for next year. I seem to remember times last weekend when I swore I'd never do a full and didn't think I needed to do another half anytime soon ;) And it doesn't just depend on me...DD14 really wants to do the half since she couldn't this year. The past weekend was really hard on her. But she starts high school in the fall and we'll have no idea what kind of training time she's going to have before she needs to register :confused3 If she does the half, I wouldn't want her to be out there by herself, so not sure how to work this out and both of us register in time.

Mel - Hope you decide to join us, but if DD14 wants to do the half and you don't, since my DD16 (SoccerDogWithEars) has now committed, they would probably have a great time together!

Susie - DDR (that SoccerDog referred to) is Dance Dance Revolution, a video game either in the arcade or PS2. I watched her do it yesterday for the first time, and it's an amazing workout. Talk about crosstraining!

Headed out today to buy MfM - does that make it official?

Jackie

Iam so excited about 08'. I've been walking on my tm and this Tuesday & Thursday I'll be taking a core training class that ends sometime in Feb. Hopefully, that will get the abs in shape!

Ok, I don't agree with my mom's explanation of DDR, so being the typical teenager, I'm going to explain it better and more detailed.

Imagine a sort of stage with four arrows on it-one up, one right, one down, and one left. Kinda like the arrows on your keyboard, but with a space between the up and down arrows where you, the player, would stand. Then add in a screen in front of you that has arrows in those four directions scrolling up. When the arrows on the screen reach a certain point, you have to step on the corresponding arrow on your little stage/pad thing. It grades you on how accurate you are with this. Now imagine doing all this to fast-tempoed techno songs and you get the general idea of DDR. If you want to see it in action, just go to Youtube and type in DDR, but I warn you---those people are experts, playing on the highest level. I am no where near that good.

So that's DDR. Now I'm off to go steal a spot in Mom's bed and take a quick catnap before heading to the mall. Adios.
-Annie aka SoccerDogWithEars

Annie...thanks for checking in. Are you doing the Minnie with your mom?

I'm starting to wonder if we have enough interest in starting a WISH youth group, maybe on the Teen board (WISH Racing Teens??) Seems like we have quite a few teenagers that are running with us, but may not necessarily want to hang out with their parents on the boards :thumbsup2

And as long as you're stuck with my musings, what went well this year that we might want to do again next year? I thought the dinner at Pop was a huge success, sounds like Illluminations was great, a bunch of folks went to Adventurers Club (though I hear that might close so maybe something like JellyRolls instead), Boardwalk Bakery (is that still a good spot or somewhere else with more protein like Beaches and Cream or Ohana). Anything you would NOT like to repeat?

Count me in. I had to sign up for the Goofy to keep the motivation for another year. I ran on Wed morning for about 25 minutes. Probably went about 1/4 mile :) . This morning I did 3 miles on the treadmill at the gym. I am also going to resume weight training.

I would like to find a marathon in May or June that is close to home. I will stick to an every other day running regiment.

Now then, how do I steal one of those Goofy 08 signatures.

Thanks
Scott

Good morning WISHers!

Hoping everyone is doing well.

Went out around 0830 this morning (60 deg. and not a cloud in the sky) and ran 5. Felt pretty good and averaged 11:50 per mile.

I've dedicated myself to get outside and run Vs. using my TM. I didn't do myself any favors by doing the majority of my training on the TM prior to the 1/2.

:welcome: to all of our new team members!

Glad to see most everyone is getting back into the swing of things.

Cecilia and Mel - Great job on your runs.

Monte - Keep up the good work.

Christa - Great pic!

Sunny - You have to be there in 08. Just because! :)

Mel - The Friday meet at POP was outstanding. Definitely a "Do again." We didn't make it to any of the other meets, so I can't comment.

Good morning, all!
Would you believe it started snowing AGAIN here yesterday? I admit I didn't exercise at all. Not even on the elliptical at my house. Tomorrow it's supposed to finally get above freezing and I have to go out to do some paperwork for my job. So I'm hitting the gym. In fact I have appointments that will get me by the gym Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday so I won't even have to think about not doing it.

Has anyone else read Jeff Galloway's Book of Running? I bought it awhile back and picked it up again last night. It's really good, especially if you're interested in the physiology of what happens to your muscles during training. I'm going to pick up MfM this week too. It will be interesting to compare the training plans in there.

Hockeygirl, you were asking about Nike+ vs. Garmin. I have used both.

I love my Nike+ because I always run with music anyway. I don't wear Nike shoes because they don't make one that fits my needs. I velcroed the sensor to the top of my shoe and it works fine. There are also some companies that make little pouches for this purpose. My husband uses the Nike+ shoe, but added a Superfeet insole for stability.

The Garmin is good too, I have the 201 and then I got the 301 for the heart rate monitor. Because it's a GPS, it only works outside. If you're a techie, you can do some really interesting things with the information the Garmin collects. I was really pleased with it for running outside. It's bulky for sure, but the display is easy to read while you're running.

blueroses-thanks for the info...I was actually reading Runner's World Magazine yesterday and I saw a little contraption called a lacelid that you lace your shoelaces through and it sits on top of your laces and the Nike+ transmitter sits in it. I am going to head to the running store this week and get some "expert" advice on the type of shoes that will work best for me. So, if I end up getting different running shoes, I can still use the Nike+ with my ipod, since I love running with music, and I love how the NIke+ tracks your workouts and stores the information on distance/pace/time.

Is the Nike+ information still as accurate with it attached to the top of your shoe?

The Garmin sounds pretty neat, maybe I will ask for one for my birthday!

Laurie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter