Wonder Down Under

Recent scuttlebutt is that they’re sold out of almost all the fancy / themed popcorn buckets, which is why I was wondering if we could take our own.
Take your own.

They have the plain buckets (so the printed ones with christmas etc) but I don't know how long those will last. My cruise is from NZ, I'm expecting to be saving money on board with the things being sold out lol.

My partner has gluten, dairy and egg intolerances. The staff took his order the night before at all the MDRs and varied the dishes where they could.

Recent scuttlebutt is that they’re sold out of almost all the fancy / themed popcorn buckets, which is why I was wondering if we could take our own.
Take your own. We have done these on other sailings and they never said anything to us. If they've sold out, you can't help it.

That’s going to be a BIG shipment - Mickey bars, popcorn buckets, butter knives and a lot of other merchandise! : )
Apparently not Mickey bars for rest of season but it is likely the container that has the towel animal plush toys.

I had heard it was meant to be there for the first sailing but didn't arrive in time and is held up somewhere.

Unfortunately doesn't seem like it was in time for the NZ sailings.

FYI for anyone following along - I emailed DCL and they said although we can take an official popcorn bucket from the parks, they will NOT fill it for us at the refill price of $2 (USD).

I’m not sure if this is an Australian cruise limitation or maybe their “official” policy which isn’t enforced onboard?

FYI for anyone following along - I emailed DCL and they said although we can take an official popcorn bucket from the parks, they will NOT fill it for us at the refill price of $2 (USD).

I’m not sure if this is an Australian cruise limitation or maybe their “official” policy which isn’t enforced onboard?
I think it's an official policy that's often ignored.

We were on the 13 night Honolulu to Sydney cruise and we used the
Lion King popcorn bucket we brought with us several times for the $2 refills. The cast member who was working at the popcorn cart enjoyed talking with us about the unique bucket as he filled it. We bought it on the Magic in 2019 and have used it on cruises ever since. So take your own bucket. It won’t be an issue.

Thanks. We’ll take one of our own and just buy the cheapest refillable one if they won’t refill our existing popcorn bucket.
I think they will refill it, just not at the discounted price. On our last cruise in October, we were told that it shows up when they scan your KTTW card if you have purchased a bucket or not on board to get the discount.

I think they will refill it, just not at the discounted price. On our last cruise in October, we were told that it shows up when they scan your KTTW card if you have purchased a bucket or not on board to get the discount.
So what’s the point of bringing a bucket then if you still pay full price for your popcorn?

I was on the inaugural cruise too. We had a great time, but I was seriously disappointed they put Aussie beers on tap in the crown & fin.. Disney, we don’t like VB.
Oh no! One of the things I was most looking forward to was having a few Kona Castaways, which was my go to beer on the Caribbean cruises I did on the Fantasy. Glad I didn't book a beer tasting experience!

I just got off. It was fricken magical. And the crew, cast and fellow guests were amazing.

1) butter spreader is not sold out. It is unavailable due to Australian laws of some kind. This was according to multiple people including ones in white dress uniforms.
2) they had Rudolph/reindeer buckets as special for popcorn
3) they made the decision based on supply and price to go with an almost exclusively Australian and Kiwi alcohol menu for the cruise. When other stuff sells out it will likely be done for the season with a few exceptions like asahi.
4) there had be some very quick adaptations to preferences of Aussies/Kiwis after the first few sailings based on feedback. The mouse was caught a bit off guard.

Honestly I felt DCL under promised and over delivered on my cruise. I was anticipating a bit of a stripped down experience because of the logistics of a ship being so far from the homeland and Disney having no infrastructure in Australia. I was so happy I went with the five night out of Melbourne over the 3 out of Auckland. Having the extra nights and getting pirates night and essentially a marvel day at sea was bonus.

When I got home I will write a review.

I just got off. It was fricken magical. And the crew, cast and fellow guests were amazing.

1) butter spreader is not sold out. It is unavailable due to Australian laws of some kind. This was according to multiple people including ones in white dress uniforms.
2) they had Rudolph/reindeer buckets as special for popcorn
3) they made the decision based on supply and price to go with an almost exclusively Australian and Kiwi alcohol menu for the cruise. When other stuff sells out it will likely be done for the season with a few exceptions like asahi.
4) there had be some very quick adaptations to preferences of Aussies/Kiwis after the first few sailings based on feedback. The mouse was caught a bit off guard.

Honestly I felt DCL under promised and over delivered on my cruise. I was anticipating a bit of a stripped down experience because of the logistics of a ship being so far from the homeland and Disney having no infrastructure in Australia. I was so happy I went with the five night out of Melbourne over the 3 out of Auckland. Having the extra nights and getting pirates night and essentially a marvel day at sea was bonus.

When I got home I will write a review.
So happy to hear you had a great time! :)

We just got off too. The ship is soooo beautiful and felt very “Disney”. Crew were amazing and the entertainment, esp the shows, were fabulous. We loved Disney Enchantment the most.
We had a great server team and good stateroom host. We were a bit underwhelmed by the food- the odd really nice dish but mostly average, in our opinion, with mostly good appetisers and felt the desserts were particularly a let-down.
The lines for character meets were very long the whole cruise, as previously reported. We only ended up doing 3, waiting an hour for Mickey and Minnie and being in the right spot for Pluto.
Lots of people doing crafting, esp adult crafting. Fun to see the new Marvel movie too.
Cabanas for breakfast in the morning was a bit of a debacle with the 2 time change days- as the fireworks/ deck parties were very late everyone was up late then lost an hour so felt like the whole ship was at Cabanas at the same time the next morning, as Tritons closed earlier.
Very happy to have done the cruise and feel it’s a great choice for a relaxing holiday. We wouldn’t do another cruise to nowhere but would consider another one if we liked the ports (maybe Alaska).
Thanks for the forum help!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter